Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

3 hours ago, TWar said:

If he isn't just a young player who had a purple patch then why has he been so ineffective for most of the last 2-3 months? He's quickly coming towards the point where he has had as many ineffective games as effective ones and for a player who doesn't make much for others or contribute much outside of goals, 6 goals in 24 league appearances isn't going to excite many city fans.

That’s why when he gets the ball at his feet the best sound is the seats banging as most in the ground get off their  seat to watch him - remind me when a player that young had that effect on close on (let’s be generous) 20,000 fans?

11 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

That’s why when he gets the ball at his feet the best sound is the seats banging as most in the ground get off their  seat to watch him - remind me when a player that young had that effect on close on (let’s be generous) 20,000 fans?

For us? Walcott maybe, we haven't had many sub 20 year old forwards regularly start for us at the top level in recent years. We certainly had it with older forwards like Ings who have a similar effect. In the league in general the likes of Foden, Rashford, Greenwood, Saka have similar effects for their club when breaking through young. Certainly have been countless who have had a similar effect for their club since Gascoigne. Rooney being comfortably the best imo. Or Owen maybe.

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, TWar said:

I think his main thing is he is pretty bad at judging the situation he's in. He doesn't strike me as very intelligent for the game, rarely making the right decision to pass, to hold up play, or to recycle. He has an instinct for going for goal but his decision making needs to improve. Should be coachable but has held players back throughout their career in the past.

As a 20 year old playing his first season in the PL, he's no better or worse in build up than any of our other forward players, all of whom make wrong/safe/poorly executed decisions in build up more often than they make the correct one. Our play in the final third over the past two games in particular has been pathetic, with Che and Elyounoussi every bit as culpable as Broja.

5 hours ago, TWar said:

Livramento was an insane signing for £5m, he is a similar level to Broja and we got him for about 1/4 his price atleast. Broja is also a good player, and as I said, would be a decent buy for ~£25m but to say he is worth £40m+ and would be a good signing for City (and many many other claims like the Gascoigne thing, linked to Bayern, CL quality already) is absolutely over rating him.

Also I agree young players go through ups and downs, I'm not saying he is bad or writing him off, I'm just saying he has been well over hyped by many on this forum. I'm still saying he is good enough to be our record signing. The fact people are taking such exception to me saying that, yes he is good enough to be our record signing, but no he isn't good enough for City or to be the next Gascoigne is really a mark of how way overhyped he is on here.

Why do you keep banging on about Gascogne ? One person said it !

Some numpty on here said Stuart Armstrong should be dropped after one poor game. I wonder what football expert said that ?

6 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Why do you keep banging on about Gascogne ? One person said it !

Some numpty on here said Stuart Armstrong should be dropped after one poor game. I wonder what football expert said that ?

It's one example, I list multiple others in the post. And resting Armstrong occasionally is a decent idea, our own manager said he can't play every game in a congested schedule.

6 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

As a 20 year old playing his first season in the PL, he's no better or worse in build up than any of our other forward players, all of whom make wrong/safe/poorly executed decisions in build up more often than they make the correct one. Our play in the final third over the past two games in particular has been pathetic, with Che and Elyounoussi every bit as culpable as Broja.

I think Che is substantially better in the build up.

6 hours ago, TWar said:

And Broja is a vastly better at finishing (credit to Che, this has improved in his game), playing off the shoulder and carrying the ball. 

When Che wasn’t scoring, he was described as and people used the excuse that he was a ‘second striker’, so you’d expect his hold up play to be better, if that’s the main part of his role. 

I think you are vastly underestimating what Broja offers us. His lighting pace stretches teams, offering space for players like Che, Stu and Moi to have the time the need to play as well as they have been. 

You’ll no doubt disagree, however, not many (if any) clubs above our sort of level (mid - lower mid table), would look a Che as an exciting option. Come the summer, if Broja is available, he’ll have many suitors across many leagues. I think that speaks volumes. 

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

And Broja is a vastly better at finishing (credit to Che, this has improved in his game), playing off the shoulder and carrying the ball. 

When Che wasn’t scoring, he was described as and people used the excuse that he was a ‘second striker’, so you’d expect his hold up play to be better, if that’s the main part of his role. 

I think you are vastly underestimating what Broja offers us. His lighting pace stretches teams, offering space for players like Che, Stu and Moi to have the time the need to play as well as they have been. 

You’ll no doubt disagree, however, not many (if any) clubs above our sort of level (mid - lower mid table), would look a Che as an exciting option. Come the summer, if Broja is available, he’ll have many suitors across many leagues. I think that speaks volumes. 

How many goals I wonder, would he have now playing for a top 4 team ?

Cant stand Man U , but he would suit their style of play. Better than Rashford in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Cant stand Man U , but he would suit their style of play. Better than Rashford in my opinion.

He has played better than Rashford this season who has been very poor as he is likely still recovering from the back injury and surgery which kept him from playing a major role in the euros. I think when Rashford was fit and playing well he was substantially better. And Rashford doesn't start for united, nor does he play the position Broja would play. Broja is competing with Cavani and Ronaldo who are miles ahead of him.

If he played for a top 4 side fans would get very annoyed at his inability to play in other top players. He works better in a team where driving and shooting is the best option more often as they don't have many other goal threats. In a top side with multiple stars always driving towards goal and shooting is often even more wasteful. Also teams play a low block often against top sides and he doesn't want that, he needs space to drive in to.

49 minutes ago, Dman said:

Second striker isn't an excuse. It's a key part of our tactics and has been for years. We always have one hard working provider and one scorer. Che is still a good provider who makes chances just by sheer work rate and is much more clinical this season. I think he'd probably be in double figures if he had a partner who could play him in occasionally like Ings did. You massively underrate what Adams does for the team imo, and calling the role "second striker" an excuse for me shows why.

6 hours ago, TWar said:

You can ping a ball up to Che and with his back to goal he protects it, controls it and passes it simple. Sometimes that is exactly what you need, but in terms of creativity it's merely the foundations of a move, there's no flare or creativity there. Hold up play is important, but he doesn't bring it down, then ping a cross field ball to switch the play like Harry Kane does. So, in terms of build up, he can move us up the pitch, but not much more than that. 

Do the same (ping a ball) with Broja and sometimes the ball doesn't stick. It's not that his touch is worse, it's not, it's that he tries to do too much. Not always, just sometimes.  However, unlike Che, with some available space, he can control, turn and then beat a defender all ends up. Che hasn't got that in his locker. Brojas hasn't got a pass in him either, and he's not terribly useful to a slow build up, but he gives us a new dimension - threat on the break.

If an opponent drops deep, not sure either is the ideal player to unlock a defence.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TWar said:

He has played better than Rashford this season who has been very poor as he is likely still recovering from the back injury and surgery which kept him from playing a major role in the euros. I think when Rashford was fit and playing well he was substantially better. And Rashford doesn't start for united, nor does he play the position Broja would play. Broja is competing with Cavani and Ronaldo who are miles ahead of him.

If he played for a top 4 side fans would get very annoyed at his inability to play in other top players. He works better in a team where driving and shooting is the best option more often as they don't have many other goal threats. In a top side with multiple stars always driving towards goal and shooting is often even more wasteful. Also teams play a low block often against top sides and he doesn't want that, he needs space to drive in to.

Second striker isn't an excuse. It's a key part of our tactics and has been for years. We always have one hard working provider and one scorer. Che is still a good provider who makes chances just by sheer work rate and is much more clinical this season. I think he'd probably be in double figures if he had a partner who could play him in occasionally like Ings did. You massively underrate what Adams does for the team imo, and calling the role "second striker" an excuse for me shows why.

What are you going on about? Rashford has been back for months, if he was still getting over an injury he wouldn’t be playing.

Oh, and by the way, he started yesterday 😂

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Djenepo is better than Rashford.

18 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

What are you going on about? Rashford has been back for months, if he was still getting over an injury he wouldn’t be playing.

Oh, and by the way, he started yesterday 😂

Players recovering from injury never start...

He is fit to play but clearly not 100%. As someone who watched us rush players back last season, especially Danny Ings, surely you can follow this concept.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

You can ping a ball up to Che and with his back to goal he protects it, controls it and passes it simple. Sometimes that is exactly what you need, but in terms of creativity it's merely the foundations of a move, there's no flare or creativity there. Hold up play is important, but he doesn't bring it down, then ping a cross field ball to switch the play like Harry Kane does. So, in terms of build up, he can move us up the pitch, but not much more than that. 

Do the same (ping a ball) with Broja and sometimes the ball doesn't stick. It's not that his touch is worse, it's not, it's that he tries to do too much. Not always, just sometimes.  However, unlike Che, with some available space, he can control, turn and then beat a defender all ends up. Che hasn't got that in his locker. Brojas hasn't got a pass in him either, and he's not terribly useful to a slow build up, but he gives us a new dimension - threat on the break.

If an opponent drops deep, not sure either is the ideal player to unlock a defence.  

I actually think Che is very creative for a forward. His chance creation stats are very reasonable and he was our 2nd best provider of assists last season behind JWP despite playing only about 2500 minutes.

Che is an exceptional passer imo and doesn't get enough credit for it.

Also I have absolutely seen Che turn and run past defenders, he uses his power more than pace but he can beat a man.

Edited by TWar

39 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Then why aren’t you giving Broja the same excuse due to his injury he had a while ago. Surely you can see your own concept.

Because Rashford had a serious injury that had been plaguing him for over a year and required surgery? Broja was out for a single game. 

And because Rashford was a top player beforehand, England International, and scored 17 goals and 7 assists the season before the injury started playing up and got 6 goals in 6 games in the champions league. So his was an obvious drop in form after proving himself to be at an elite level is obvious, and given his serious injury is reasonably easy to explain. When Broja sustained his injury he had scored 2 prem goals.

Do I really need to explain why Marcus Rashford is better than Broja?

Edited by TWar

1 hour ago, TWar said:

I actually think Che is very creative for a forward. His chance creation stats are very reasonable and he was our 2nd best provider of assists last season behind JWP despite playing only about 2500 minutes.

Che is an exceptional passer imo and doesn't get enough credit for it.

Also I have absolutely seen Che turn and run past defenders, he uses his power more than pace but he can beat a man.

`Very creative, exceptional passer, turns and runs past defenders' - are we talking about the same player?

I'm going to take another look today, as I see a forward that doesn't have a lot of tricks, but creativity is different to flair,  so you may be right. He may well create a lot of chances.

Stats can be useful, but assist stats don't always tell the whole story. An assist is awarded if you touch the ball last before a player scores. A mis-control can count as an assist. If you still believe in that stat, then in 22 games this season, Che has touched the ball last before a goal is scored a total of 3 times.  We've scored 30 times in those games.

Edited by Chez

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Because Rashford had a serious injury that had been plaguing him for over a year and required surgery? Broja was out for a single game. 

And because Rashford was a top player beforehand, England International, and scored 17 goals and 7 assists the season before the injury started playing up and got 6 goals in 6 games in the champions league. So his was an obvious drop in form after proving himself to be at an elite level is obvious, and given his serious injury is reasonably easy to explain. When Broja sustained his injury he had scored 2 prem goals.

This season he hasn’t been. You use the excuse that Man U are still playing a player that’s still recovering, I put it down to other things.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Not the same type of player you can t compare

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

`Very creative, exceptional passer, turns and runs past defenders' - are we talking about the same player?

I'm going to take another look today, as I see a forward that doesn't have a lot of tricks, but creativity is different to flair,  so you may be right. He may well create a lot of chances.

Stats can be useful, but assist stats don't always tell the whole story. An assist is awarded if you touch the ball last before a player scores. A mis-control can count as an assist. If you still believe in that stat, then in 22 games this season, Che has touched the ball last before a goal is scored a total of 3 times.  We've scored 30 times in those games.

I think chance creation is a better stat to go on than assists when looking at creativity as the player creating the chance has no real influence on whether his teammate is actually good at finishing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Specifically looked out for this today and I can’t say I saw any of it. 

Exceptional passer shanked one clean out of play and then failed to beat the only man in the box, which would have had us 2-2 at half time. 

As for the dribbling past people, again, none. 

He’s strong, works hard and gets his body in the way. There’s a place for him in the squad, for sure, but I can’t say any of the above is true… on today’s displaying anyway. 

Just now, Dman said:

Specifically looked out for this today and I can’t say I saw any of it. 

Exceptional passer shanked one clean out of play and then failed to beat the only man in the box, which would have had us 2-2 at half time. 

As for the dribbling past people, again, none. 

He’s strong, works hard and gets his body in the way. There’s a place for him in the squad, for sure, but I can’t say any of the above is true… on today’s displaying anyway. 

Was miles more effective than Broja who barely got a sniff

Just now, TWar said:

No idea why we didnt bring on Armstrong, completely anonymous again.

The same Armstrong who is now 5th choice behind a midfielder and a 35 year old who has scored about 2 goals in 5 seasons. 

I’m not privy to what goes on in training, but I’d say there must be a reason why… 

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Was miles more effective than Broja who barely got a sniff

Absolutely no one was ‘effective’ today. All fucking shite. Hence why we’ve just been made to look like the side who should be in the bottom 3, by Watford ffs. 

Edited by Dman

Just now, Dman said:

The same Armstrong who is now 5th choice behind a midfielder and a 35 year old who has scored about 2 goals in 5 seasons. 

I’m not privy to what goes on in training, but I’d say there must be a reason why… 

He isn't 5th choice behind a midfielder, we played a 4141, and he isn't behind Shane, he is just better in the air so is more appropriate in the dying minutes when a team is parking the bus. When we make a change earlier it is Armstrong, as with last game.

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Absolutely no one was ‘effective’ today. All fucking shite. Hence why we’ve just been made to look like the side who should be in the bottom 3, by Watford ffs. 

What about Brojas last two? Or most of the last 3 months?

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Can only assume the manager thinks that the 35 year old,2 goals in 5 seasons player represents more of a goal threat. A bad situation whatever way you look at it.

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

He isn't 5th choice behind a midfielder, we played a 4141, and he isn't behind Shane, he is just better in the air so is more appropriate in the dying minutes when a team is parking the bus. When we make a change earlier it is Armstrong, as with last game.

No we didn’t. This was debunked in the match thread. 

We needed a goal and he brought on Shane Long, over Armstrong. This isn’t the first time and there have also been times where They’ve both started and Armstrong has come off and Long has stayed on. 

Just now, Dman said:

No we didn’t. This was debunked in the match thread. 

We needed a goal and he brought on Shane Long, over Armstrong. This isn’t the first time and there have also been times where They’ve both started and Armstrong has come off and Long has stayed on. 

Debunked? Where?

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Well other than it being blatantly obvious that Smallbone was playing higher up the pitch, these things are also tracked. See below. 

80DFB211-BDF5-427F-B064-1D13B42731D0.jpeg

How can you consider Smallbone a forward when he is further back that Elyounoussi? Looks like a 4231 which didn't have much going forward so the CF had to drop back. The in possession average map does not display Smallbone as a striker at all.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

How can you consider Smallbone a forward when he is further back that Elyounoussi? Looks like a 4231 which didn't have much going forward so the CF had to drop back. The in possession average map does not display Smallbone as a striker at all.

Cool story. Not 4141 though is it. That was blindingly obvious for anyone who watched the game. 

As I said in the match thread, it was a poor selection. As Adams naturally drops deep into a ‘10’ type position and having him, smallbone, Armstrong and Moi in there it become massively overcrowded with no striker playing off the shoulder. 

ironically, it probably would have suited Broja much more in the first half. Second half, for much of it, he was shoved out the the right wing and we played more of a 433

29 minutes ago, TWar said:

No idea why we didnt bring on Armstrong, completely anonymous again.

I want to see Armstrong given another go but he would have been useless today. His main asset is pace but Watford packed their defence and sat deep for large parts which wouldn't have suited Armstrong at all. What we needed most was more guile, we just had no idea how to break Watford down.

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Cool story. Not 4141 though is it. That was blindingly obvious for anyone who watched the game. 

As I said in the match thread, it was a poor selection. As Adams naturally drops deep into a ‘10’ type position and having him, smallbone, Armstrong and Moi in there it become massively overcrowded with no striker playing off the shoulder. 

ironically, it probably would have suited Broja much more in the first half. Second half, for much of it, he was shoved out the the right wing and we played more of a 433

I agree it was a poor selection, but a woefully out of form Broja wasn't the answer, poor sub at half time.

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

Well other than it being blatantly obvious that Smallbone was playing higher up the pitch, these things are also tracked. See below. 

80DFB211-BDF5-427F-B064-1D13B42731D0.jpeg

You actually think we played Smallbone up front? Go give your head a shower

Just now, TWar said:

I agree it was a poor selection, but a woefully out of form Broja wasn't the answer, poor sub at half time.

In your opinion. Everyone else, would disagree with that. But I’m sure you’re right though… 

Just now, Sarisbury Saint said:

The reason he didn’t get a sniff is the lack of creativity and slow backwards sideways passing.

But heh, that ruins your embarrassing argument .

Yet Che got a number of chances. But "heh", that ruins your embarrassing argument (that was embarrassing even to type).

Just now, Dman said:

In your opinion. Everyone else, would disagree with that. But I’m sure you’re right though… 

Everyone else? Everyone else thinks Broja is doing great and deserved a chance over Armstrong? I suggest you read the prematch thread to know that is bollocks.

15 hours ago, TWar said:

Edited by Sarisbury Saint

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

You actually think we played Smallbone up front? Go give your head a shower

Smallbone played in an advanced central position. As the graft shows, basically next to Adams and the positions Adams tends to take up when he’s playing with another striker. 

give it whatever fancy name you want, I’ve not actually said we played him upfront, just that we didn’t play 4141 as Twrong claimed. 

Yet Che got a number of chances. But "heh", that ruins your embarrassing argument (that was embarrassing even to type).

Eh? He had 1 header which was easily saved. 

As a team we created fucked all today. 

Ironically, if the great passer himself had slid through Moi when we were 2v1 we’d have ended the half level… ingoring this one though. 

Edited by Dman

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Smallbone played in an advanced central position. As the graft shows, basically next to Adams and the positions Adams tends to take up when he’s playing with another striker. 

give it whatever fancy name you want, I’ve not actually said we played him upfront, just that we didn’t play 4141 as Twrong claimed. 

It was more a 4411 at the start. Small bone was advanced.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

"Advanced central position" what are you on? He played as a 10, obviously. JWP played further back making it more a 4231 than a 4141 (although probably wouldn't have if we hadn't played so poorly so likely wasn't the plan). The point is, Smallbone clearly wasn't playing as a striker, so saying he is playing ahead of Adam Armstrong is more ridiculous than when you said we'd finish dead bottom of the league.

"Advanced central position" what are you on? He played as a 10, obviously. JWP played further back making it more a 4231 than a 4141 (although probably wouldn't have if we hadn't played so poorly so likely wasn't the plan). The point is, Smallbone clearly wasn't playing as a striker, so saying he is playing ahead of Adam Armstrong is more ridiculous than when you said we'd finish dead bottom of the league.

Almost as ridiculous as you saying we played 4141.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja