Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

4 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

As an Albanian his English is excellent, almost flawless.

He was born in Slough to Albanian parents.  Agree, does interview well though.

Edited by Manuel

On 02/03/2022 at 23:45, austsaint said:

If ever there was a player the Club should push the boat out for, it's this lad.  40m might not be enough though - if he's put on the market.

Seen a report today that Chelski are valuing him at €70m!  No way for us, so can only hope for a 2nd season loan at the very best (again highly unlikely).

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Seen a report today that Chelski are valuing him at €70m!  No way for us, so can only hope for a 2nd season loan at the very best (again highly unlikely).

Wouldn't pay that too much mind. It's from a pretty unreliable source.

4 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Sounds about right for someone that is going to be a top striker one day. It also makes the West Ham "willing to pay £25 million for Broja" gossip today make them seem very stupid. If he was going for that 'little' then even we would be involved. 

I still think our best hope of keeping him next season was another year's loan (with the promise of first team regular football like he's had exposure to this season) but now Chelsea's future is up in the air, I think they may cash in. He'd slot into most top sides - although perhaps not as an instant first choice striker. He is apparently a Chelsea fan so we'll see. He may want to stay put.

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Jesus, what does that mean for Armstrong's value? 

9 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not all that surprising, that’s roughly what Tammy Abraham’s buy back clause is that Chelsea set with Roma.

Edited by The Kraken

37 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not all that surprising, that’s roughly what Tammy Abraham’s buy back clause is that Chelsea set with Roma.

I'd say it is incredibly surprising, given he has scored 6 prem goals ever. Would be surprised if he is valued more than Abraham is who had a 15 goal season in the league and proved his worth in the CL.

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'd say it is incredibly surprising, given he has scored 6 prem goals ever. Would be surprised if he is valued more than Abraham is who had a 15 goal season in the league and proved his worth in the CL.

He isn’t valued more than Abraham. It’s 70 million euros, so about 58 million pounds.

And there’s a big difference between his actual value and what figure Chelsea put on him effectively as a release clause. Depending on their financial situation under whoever takes them on, they may have no need to sell and therefore can attach a value to him much higher than true market value. I don’t think anyone is going to pay 58million pounds (or whatever the euro conversion is) for him. Much as I don’t think Chelsea will pay 68 million to get Abraham back.

31 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He isn’t valued more than Abraham. It’s 70 million euros, so about 58 million pounds.

And there’s a big difference between his actual value and what figure Chelsea put on him effectively as a release clause. Depending on their financial situation under whoever takes them on, they may have no need to sell and therefore can attach a value to him much higher than true market value. I don’t think anyone is going to pay 58million pounds (or whatever the euro conversion is) for him. Much as I don’t think Chelsea will pay 68 million to get Abraham back.

I meant Abrahams value when he left. If we bought Broja he'd definitely have a buy back too.

For me Broja is very promising but has definite weaknesses in his game and if his price drifted above £30m we'd do well to look elsewhere. Regardless of how attached we all are to him due to the loan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

I meant Abrahams value when he left. If we bought Broja he'd definitely have a buy back too.

For me Broja is very promising but has definite weaknesses in his game and if his price drifted above £30m we'd do well to look elsewhere. Regardless of how attached we all are to him due to the loan.

I don’t disagree, but I think the point I’m making is that Chelsea don’t want to sell. At least not yet, before they’ve actually given him a chance to develop further and the try to break into their first team.  They’ve got a player on a long term contract with bags of potential, and if their financial situation is sorted, they don’t need to sell. The ‘value’ they have supposedly put on him is really just a hands off warning, nothing more IMO, and we are just not going to chase the player if it goes much beyond 25m I reckon.

I think his future is another year long loan, either with us or another PL side.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I don’t disagree, but I think the point I’m making is that Chelsea don’t want to sell. At least not yet, before they’ve actually given him a chance to develop further and the try to break into their first team.  They’ve got a player on a long term contract with bags of potential, and if their financial situation is sorted, they don’t need to sell. The ‘value’ they have supposedly put on him is really just a hands off warning, nothing more IMO, and we are just not going to chase the player if it goes much beyond 25m I reckon.

I think his future is another year long loan, either with us or another PL side.

Yeah that makes sense. I think whether they will sell or not is dependent on a few things out of our control.

• If Lukaku improves and applies himself then they will want him less.
  • If they struggle to retain two of Azpi, Rudiger, and Christensen they'll need to spend big on atleast two top class CB's.
  • If they struggle to offload a forward, probably Werner, then I think they might struggle to make room for him and their forwards are on massive wages.
  • If the new owner is skint they might need to sell.
  • And finally financial fair play may come into play, they have stepped too close to the line before and their wage bill/net spend over the last couple of seasons has been massive.

I don't think we are likely to sign him but there are some things working in our favour for them to sell.

10 hours ago, TWar said:

I think we have to consider benching Broja for Armstrong, Broja just hasn't been up to much for the last few games. Infact in our last 10 games or so his best performance was off the bench vs West Ham. Maybe we should start Adam Armstrong and deploy Broja off the bench.

We have had a tonne of possession vs Villa and Newcastle and we looked blunt. Something has to change. I'd bring in Perraud for Tino and put KWP on the right too. I think that'll help Elyounoussi perform at a higher level again.

Agreed. Broja needs dropping. Was miles off it last night. 

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

And when he's off form it's like playing with 10 men as he can't really get involved in the build up, hold up, passing game like Che does. He can't set others up.

Terrific goal scorer when on form but when not an absolute passenger. Still would like is to sign him for a reasonable price but talk of £60m or whatever is laughable. Over £25m and I think we should look elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He has probably had too much praise, too much publicity and is beginning to think the work is done, he is now the finished article who everyone wants. Management skill required!

Broja wasn't exactly rated before us, could be he just had a hot streak when he first got starts and is reverting. Hope not, but even when he was flying his game had a lot of room to improve, it just was easy to ignore when he was scoring well.

He's very young though so "room to improve" is fine, he'll learn. He just was massively overhyped on here so was always due for a fall from grace.

Edited by TWar

11 minutes ago, Dellman said:

He has probably had too much praise, too much publicity and is beginning to think the work is done, he is now the finished article who everyone wants. Management skill required!

That's one hell of an assumption to draw from a 20 year old having some mixed performances. The likes of Sims and Tella have been far more up and down and they were/are a couple of years older.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Broja wasn't exactly rated before us, could be he just had a hot streak when he first got starts and is reverting. Hope not, but even when he was flying his game had a lot of room to improve, it just was easy to ignore when he was scoring well.

He's very young though so "room to improve" is fine, he'll learn. He just was massively overhyped on here so was always due for a fall from grace.

Wasn’t rated by who exactly? everything I’ve seen suggested he was very highly rated by those who had watched him play. 

Chelsea rated him highly enough to offer a 5 year deal. 

He was playing international football at 19, so clearly they rated him. 

Ralph rated him highly. See direct quotes:

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl said: “Armando is a very talented player who we were impressed by last season.
“He is young, but he comes now with a full season of experience in senior football with a good team, and he brings a lot of qualities that can help us.
“He is a strong, quick player with a good instinct and this makes him a good fit for the way we like to play.
“I know how highly regarded he is by Chelsea, and I think this will be a good place for him to continue his own development as well.”

Broja is rated by everyone other than you. Your negativity towards him is becoming a bit of a werid obsession, similar to your irrational dislike of Villa. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 3

On 11/03/2022 at 21:49, Dman said:

Wasn’t rated by who exactly? everything I’ve seen suggested he was very highly rated by those who had watched him play. 

Chelsea rated him highly enough to offer a 5 year deal. 

He was playing international football at 19, so clearly they rated him. 

Ralph rated him highly. See direct quotes:

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl said: “Armando is a very talented player who we were impressed by last season.
“He is young, but he comes now with a full season of experience in senior football with a good team, and he brings a lot of qualities that can help us.
“He is a strong, quick player with a good instinct and this makes him a good fit for the way we like to play.
“I know how highly regarded he is by Chelsea, and I think this will be a good place for him to continue his own development as well.”

Broja is rated by everyone other than you. Your negativity towards him is becoming a bit of a werid obsession, similar to your irrational dislike of Villa. 

Bang on .

Broja is clearly a great player but like many strikers he has dips in form. Harry Kane is banging them in again after a run of poor form.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint
  • Like 1

At his age Kane was at Leyton Orient and Millwall hardly banging them in, something just clicked when he went back to Spurs, possibly the same will happen to Broja ,  he's so raw at the moment but we've seen glimpses which is enough for me to keep some faith although he does need to be carefully managed, unlike Tino who I think has been managed/coached poorly,  the price tag been banded around is ridiculous and comes with its EPL 'tax' especially when there are players out there cheaper although out of our grasp like Karim Adeyemi or Jonathon David both cheaper than the so called £50-£60m.  I would like us to push boat out and pay £30m tops even if it means selling Tino

Edited by danjosaint

2 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Bang on .He is obsessed with trying to prove he’s right all the time.

Clearly clueless.

Broja is clearly a great player but like many strikers he has dips in form. Harry Kane is banging them in again after a run of poor form.

At this point he's had about as many games out of form as in form. Kane we knew would come back as he is Kane. Broja has one season with an ok return in Holland behind him.

I like that you are optimistic that the Broja we saw for his first 10 starts is the real one and the more recent 10 games is a dip in form but how do you know it isn't the other way round? He is a decent player who had a hot streak and some people on here got way over excited and started calling him a champions league level player who is worth £40m+ and is the best young player they've seen since Gascoigne?

Honestly the fact I have said I think he's a good player, worth £25m, and is young so is likely to improve and this is described (albeit by a known idiot who was convinced we were finishing last and laughed at those who suggested 10-14th) as negative to the degree of irrational obsession is a real sign of how overrated he is.

Edited by TWar

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

At this point he's had about as many games out of form as in form. Kane we knew would come back as he is Kane. Broja has one season with an ok return in Holland behind him.

I like that you are optimistic that the Broja we saw for his first 10 starts is the real one and the more recent 10 games is a dip in form but how do you know it isn't the other way round? He is an OK player who had a hot streak and some people on here got way over excited and started calling him a champions league level player who is worth £40m+ and is the best young player they've seen since Gascoigne?

Please, stop it!   You're reminding me of the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, TWar said:

I like that you are optimistic that the Broja we saw for his first 10 starts is the real one and the more recent 10 games is a dip in form but how do you know it isn't the other way round? He is a decent player who had a hot streak and some people on here got way over excited and started calling him a champions league level player who is worth £40m+ and is the best young player they've seen since Gascoigne?

Honestly the fact I have said I think he's a good player, worth £25m, and is young so is likely to improve and this is described (albeit by a known idiot who was convinced we were finishing last and laughed at those who suggested 10-14th) as negative to the degree of irrational obsession is a real sign of how overrated he is.

Do you believe all the shit you post? 

Broja overrated. Behave. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Do you believe all the shit you post? 

Broja overrated. Behave. 

Is he the best young player since Gascoigne, worth £40m+ and would walk into most champions league sides? If your answer to all three of those isn't "why ofcourse" then he is objectively overrated by atleast some on here.

Just now, TWar said:

Is he the best young player since Gascoigne, worth £40m+ and would walk into most champions league sides? If your answer to all three of those isn't "why ofcourse" then he is objectively overrated by atleast some on here.

I can tell you a lot of people have taken notice. 
Few friends who never watch Saints have heard all about him.

That to me tells you something

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

If i recall correctly, that was 1 person who posted that. So you’re basing your opinion that he is overrated based on 1 persons opinion… 

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

I saw your point that he was over rated and that was enough mate. You stated that the kid was less talented than Adam Armstrong and have continued to talk nonsense about him since then. We all misjudge players - I thought Jake Thompson was gonna be a superstar and he managed to look shit in the national league. We all get it wrong sometimes treacle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Nice try, sir.

At no point did I say your comments of him being young and likely to improve and worth c25m was a negative, I mostly agree with that (I think he’s probably worth a bit more given the current market and Chris wood being 20m and Ings, who in your words is ‘wank’, being 30m in recent windows)

I called out your utter nonsense saying that he wasn’t exactly rated before coming here.

so given you didn’t answer, who wasn’t he rated by… other than you it seems. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

Nice try, sir.

At no point did I say your comments of him being young and likely to improve and worth c25m was a negative, I mostly agree with that (I think he’s probably worth a bit more given the current market and Chris wood being 20m and Ings, who in your words is ‘wank’, being 30m in recent windows)

I called out your utter nonsense saying that he wasn’t exactly rated before coming here.

so given you didn’t answer, who wasn’t he rated by… other than you it seems. 

Well, I say he wasn't exactly rated before because he wasn't anything like thought of as a £25m+ player when we signed him. He has definitely only really acquired this level of hype since having a good spell with Saints.

25 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I can tell you a lot of people have taken notice. 
Few friends who never watch Saints have heard all about him.

That to me tells you something

Yeah, he's a young player doing well. People should take notice, but there is a difference between taking notice and some things you read on here. I think I saw someone say city should skip buying Kane and just get him instead at one point. Having watched him for the last 10 games or so, do you think that is sensible still?

21 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah, he's a young player doing well. People should take notice, but there is a difference between taking notice and some things you read on here. I think I saw someone say city should skip buying Kane and just get him instead at one point. Having watched him for the last 10 games or so, do you think that is sensible still?

He's not just a young player doing well or in purple patch. Anyone who saw this lad play before he joined us could see a player big, fast, powerful, skilful, two good feet, great finish, good movement, great on the turn, etc. That's the signs of a decent player. He's then come into the Premier league and smashed it. 

If I were a city fan, I'd be as excited by signing this kid as Kane. In a couple of years Kane will be beyond his best or playing deeper, whereas Broja will still be improving. I appreciate that you'll disagree and advocate that A Armstrong would be a better option, but each to their own. 

Edited by egg

3 minutes ago, egg said:

He's not just a young player doing well or in purple patch. Anyone who saw this lad play before he joined us could see a player big, fast, powerful, skilful, two good feet, great finish, good movement, great on the turn, etc. That's the signs of a decent player. He's then come into the Premier league and smashed it. 

If I were a city fan, I'd be as excited by signing this kid as Kane. In a couple of years Kane will be beyond his best or playing deeper, whereas Broja will still be improving. I appreciate that you'll disagree and advocate that A Armstrong would be a better option, but each to their own. 

If he isn't just a young player who had a purple patch then why has he been so ineffective for most of the last 2-3 months? He's quickly coming towards the point where he has had as many ineffective games as effective ones and for a player who doesn't make much for others or contribute much outside of goals, 6 goals in 24 league appearances isn't going to excite many city fans.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

If he isn't just a young player who had a purple patch then why has he been so ineffective for most of the last 2-3 months? He's quickly coming towards the point where he has had as many ineffective games as effective ones and for a player who doesn't make much for others or contribute much outside of goals, 6 goals in 24 league appearances isn't going to excite many city fans.

Because young players go through peaks and dips, that’s how it is. Quite often they’ll burst onto the scene be great for a dozen games then a dip, you know kind of exactly how the “insane” Livramento has done this season 

he’s got all the attributes to be a top player, anyone can see that apart from you it seems. 

• Like 2

Christ, he's a 20 year old striker playing his first season in arguably the toughest league in the world, he's not gonna be brilliant every game and will have dips in form as he's still learning and developing, that's perfectly normal!

Before we signed him I'd never heard of him but it was obvious from the moment he stepped on the pitch that he had that star quality, that little something extra just like Tino. It's obvious to anyone with half a football brain that he is very talented and has a big future, just enjoy him while he's here as he will soon be moving on to bigger things while we are left with Adam Armstrong leading our attack.

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Because young players go through peaks and dips, that’s how it is. Quite often they’ll burst onto the scene be great for a dozen games then a dip, you know kind of exactly how the “insane” Livramento has done this season 

he’s got all the attributes to be a top player, anyone can see that apart from you it seems. 

Livramento was an insane signing for £5m, he is a similar level to Broja and we got him for about 1/4 his price atleast. Broja is also a good player, and as I said, would be a decent buy for ~£25m but to say he is worth £40m+ and would be a good signing for City (and many many other claims like the Gascoigne thing, linked to Bayern, CL quality already) is absolutely over rating him.

Also I agree young players go through ups and downs, I'm not saying he is bad or writing him off, I'm just saying he has been well over hyped by many on this forum. I'm still saying he is good enough to be our record signing. The fact people are taking such exception to me saying that, yes he is good enough to be our record signing, but no he isn't good enough for City or to be the next Gascoigne is really a mark of how way overhyped he is on here.

Edited by TWar

Everyone who looks at Broja can see talent, there's someone there who will be a Champions League player in a couple of years. Will Armstrong? Absolutley not, he will never get anywhere near the level Broja will get to.

That's not being down on Armstrong, it's just being realistic. I think Armstrong has impacted the games in the last couple he's played in, but he's still a fairly average player all told with very little to no growth left in his game. Broja has the world at his feet in my opinion.

Young players will go through extreme dips and extreme highs as they grow and mature, he's not the finished article. I've said a few times that he needs to calm down when he's in front of goal, as he gets himself into great positions but lets it get to his head sometimes - that'll settle down though, we probably won't benefit from the finished Broja though. Just enjoy him whilst you can, he adds a new dimension to our attack which we didn't have last season.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Everyone who looks at Broja can see talent, there's someone there who will be a Champions League player in a couple of years. Will Armstrong? Absolutley not, he will never get anywhere near the level Broja will get to.

That's not being down on Armstrong, it's just being realistic. I think Armstrong has impacted the games in the last couple he's played in, but he's still a fairly average player all told with very little to no growth left in his game. Broja has the world at his feet in my opinion.

Young players will go through extreme dips and extreme highs as they grow and mature, he's not the finished article. I've said a few times that he needs to calm down when he's in front of goal, as he gets himself into great positions but lets it get to his head sometimes - that'll settle down though, we probably won't benefit from the finished Broja though. Just enjoy him whilst you can, he adds a new dimension to our attack which we didn't have last season.

I think "will be a champions league player" is overstating it. He certainly has a decent shot.

Adam Armstrong I think has something about him. Since seeing them both in the prem I certainly now think Broja is more talented and better but I don't think the "one is a championship level player at best who will never be good enough and the other is already someone city should be signing, going to be champions league level, worth £40m+" is a big exaggeration on both ends. I think a lot of this argument comes down to a lack of nuance in football forum discussion. Anything less than "he's the next Gascoigne" is "he's shite".

1 hour ago, TWar said:

I think "will be a champions league player" is overstating it. He certainly has a decent shot.

Adam Armstrong I think has something about him. Since seeing them both in the prem I certainly now think Broja is more talented and better but I don't think the "one is a championship level player at best who will never be good enough and the other is already someone city should be signing, going to be champions league level, worth £40m+" is a big exaggeration on both ends. I think a lot of this argument comes down to a lack of nuance in football forum discussion. Anything less than "he's the next Gascoigne" is "he's shite".

If you don’t expect to see that sort of polar opposite opinions then I don’t think this forum is the place for you sir 

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Well, I say he wasn't exactly rated before because he wasn't anything like thought of as a £25m+ player when we signed him. He has definitely only really acquired this level of hype since having a good spell with Saints.

Exactly the same as Tino in that case then, who people have been calling to play for England, saying he’s the next Bale, worth over 40m and has also gone through up and down patches of form.

I assume he is also overrated then? Or are you going to ignore that one because you called him to be a decent player when he first signed. 

Edited by Dman

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I don’t agree that Armstrong has little or no growth in his game. He has pace and great movement.  Like Broja and Che, he needs to improve his finishing.

Edited by Wade Garrett
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dman said:

Exactly the same as Tino in that case then, who people have been calling to play for England, saying he’s the next Bale, worth over 40m and has also gone through up and down patches of form.

I assume he is also overrated then? Or are you going to ignore that one because you called him to be a decent player when he first signed. 

Anyone calling for Tino to play for England right now is wrong. I haven't seen that personally but if so, yes, they are over rating him

6 hours ago, TWar said:

I stick by what I said BTW. 

Young players by their nature are inconsistent but the ceiling to improve is significant.

A consistent Broja in 3yrs time could be starting for a champs league team no doubt, he has the skill, pace, talent and seems to scare CBs.

What he doesn't have is the experience of being a top flight professional and what that means.

I think also our system suits how he plays but I don't know enough about how he played at vitesse to see how he is in another system.

Of course try and buy but a 2nd season loan might be the best we can do before he moves on.

Also regarding Armstrong, defo a player in there, it just seems to take time with the championship strikers to play and be effective in our system.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Young players by their nature are inconsistent but the ceiling to improve is significant.

A consistent Broja in 3yrs time could be starting for a champs league team no doubt, he has the skill, pace, talent and seems to scare CBs.

What he doesn't have is the experience of being a top flight professional and what that means.

I think also our system suits how he plays but I don't know enough about how he played at vitesse to see how he is in another system.

Of course try and buy but a 2nd season loan might be the best we can do before he moves on.

Also regarding Armstrong, defo a player in there, it just seems to take time with the championship strikers to play and be effective in our system.

I think his main thing is he is pretty bad at judging the situation he's in. He doesn't strike me as very intelligent for the game, rarely making the right decision to pass, to hold up play, or to recycle. He has an instinct for going for goal but his decision making needs to improve. Should be coachable but has held players back throughout their career in the past.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja