The Premier League Thread - 2024/25

CSA96

2 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

BHA 2-1 Man U. With a last second headed winner.

United had a goal disallowed when Fernandes' open goal bound shot was ajudged to have hit an offside Zirkzee's knee just before the line. Zirkzee was sliding in and unable to get out of the way.

Heart breaking for them.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

BHA 2-1 Man U. With a last second headed winner.

United had a goal disallowed when Fernandes' open goal bound shot was ajudged to have hit an offside Zirkzee's knee just before the line. Zirkzee was sliding in and unable to get out of the way.

Nothing 'adjudged' about it. It hut his knee and he was offside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Fucking hate Brighton. Still remember when Saints and Spurs fixed that draw. We both were promoted Brighton stayed down.
as for Manchester United the Sir Jim takeover is unpopular and heading towards disaster.

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yes bad word choice, "was determined" to have hit the knee. It did hit it before the line. 

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

People talk about a polarising of the Premier League - the have's and the have nots. We're seeing clear evidence right now. We all remember that historically in the first 6-8 games you'd see teams in usual places in the table. Hey Saints even topped the table in late Autumn under Ralph! But also you'd get some odd scores early doors that meant the table looked topsy turvy initially. 

Well there's next to none of that this year. Only two games, but even the goal differences has created a table which looks more or less par for the course. Not sure how to fix it, but it is a bit demoralising if you're not an Man City fan, and even they are probably feeling a little bit odd about it (or at least the older ones are who supported the club through thin, and thin)

Current PL Table - Same as the old one

PL table after 2 games.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

People talk about a polarising of the Premier League - the have's and the have nots. We're seeing clear evidence right now. We all remember that historically in the first 6-8 games you'd see teams in usual places in the table. Hey Saints even topped the table in late Autumn under Ralph! But also you'd get some odd scores early doors that meant the table looked topsy turvy initially. 

Well there's next to none of that this year. Only two games, but even the goal differences has created a table which looks more or less par for the course. Not sure how to fix it, but it is a bit demoralising if you're not an Man City fan, and even they are probably feeling a little bit odd about it (or at least the older ones are who supported the club through thin, and thin)

Current PL Table - Same as the old one

PL table after 2 games.png

I get what you're saying but we're still in the early stage where crazy results can mess the table up. Two games time we could see Brentford top of the league, or United bottom. 

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I get what you're saying but we're still in the early stage where crazy results can mess the table up. Two games time we could see Brentford top of the league, or United bottom. 

United have us in their next two games so not very likely!

A look around at other fans opinions of their transfer window

Newcastle fans having secured the services of Paul Mitchell were hoping for big things. But they secured next to f**k all 😁

I can’t quite believe we’ve shit the bed as much as we have tbh. It started badly with the Anderson and Minteh PSR debacle and got worse from there. I understand what they’re saying about only wanting players who can bring us forward but the idea that, in the whole of European football, the only defender who can do that is Marc Guehi is frankly laughable. The longer we go, the more I think that we are genuinely snookered by PSR and we need to brace for losing Isak, Gordon or Bruno before long otherwise we can’t spend. Trying to get rid of some of the shite in this squad is near impossible since they’re all nothing players on big money who won’t move or they’re permacrocks who nobody will take a chance on.

Wolves fans views are summed up by this quote, they seem worried about their defence:

"Some great players signed but I feel like some have been signed just for profit rather than targeting what we need. Not signing a CB after letting Kilman go 2 months ago is ridiculous. Still 7 out of 10, but eyes are definitely more on future profit than squad need."

Leicester fans:

"Pretty good window. We could've gone out and got 15 freebies in for the sake of it and got ourselves in more of a mess

Looks like the club are learning(apart from janniks 3 Yr contract) from their mistakes and I think there will be a couple more years of these windows, most likely yoyoing between epl and championship until we get ourselves rebalanced 

It's one of those, it's as good as it could be because of what's happened in previous years .. but we're here now with a newish squad" 

Brentford fans seem reasonably happy

"Strakosha > Valdimarsson*
Goode > Kim Ji Soo (promoted)
Zanka > Van Den Berg
Stevens > Meghoma
Onyeka > Konak*
Ghoddos > Carvalho
Baptiste > Trevitt + Maghoma (ret. from loan)
Maupay > Nunes
Toney > Thiago
*Technically January signings 
The players that left, almost none of them were starters, so we’ve lost very little by way of contribution on the pitch from any of those players walking out of the door.

So what have we gained? From the looks of it we’ve really reduced the average age of the squad; which gives us more long term squad stability, more resale value in the squad and more of a genuine succession plan if the current mainstays ever move on, get injured or lose form (what I mean by that, is that - for example - VDB could eventually replace Pinnock in our first XI - whereas neither Goode nor Zanka were ever going to do that).

The exception is of course Toney, who obviously would have been a starter had he stayed. And with minimum of fuss we smashed our transfer record 6 months before the window even opened to sign a like-for-like replacement for £30m+. It’s a shame he’s injured for the first half of the season, but we kind of already have enough up top based on the evidence of last season whilst Ivan was banned.

I think at the start of the summer, most would have said a good window would have been:

Sell Toney ✅
Sign a quality midfielder ✅
New, younger, quality CB ✅
Understudy to Rico ✅

Mission accomplished really, plus we got a Brazilian wonderkid. Can anyone argue? 

I think generally you need to refresh around the edges of a squad every so often anyway to keep the motivation, intensity and enthusiam up around the camp. But in the process we’ve spent some very good money bringing up the quality in depth (Thiago, VDB, Carvahlo) and also bringing in some real potential (Nunes, Meghoma)."

Ipswich fans seem to be frustrated with the lack of an out and out striker, but reasonably happy:

"Even after the above disappointment, if Liam Delap fulfils his potential with Omari Hutchinson, Sammy Szmodics and Jack Clarke sitting fight behind him we should have enough goals in this attacking group to keep us up. 
If this attacking unit was offered to us at the start of the window we’d have all thought wow, what a fantastic transfer window this has been. On top of this we have the classy Jem’s Cajuste to play alongside Morsy, O’Shea and Greaves in central defence and new keeper Muric albeit yet to convince us plus another handful of players to strengthen the squad eg, Townsend, Johnson and Ogbene this week from Luton. 
Of course I’ve not even mentioned Kalvin Phillips who could well be the shrewdest signing of all. 
Come on guys and girls let’s take the positives out of this. At the start of this thread most of us were thinking we’d sign half a dozen players and not spend more than £10m on any player. We’ve way surpassed this annd spent more than £100m and are in a much stronger place than we were when we won promotion. Furthermore the average age of our signings is only 24 with plenty of upside on the valuations of at least half of them.
Let’s not allow the lack of a late striker acquisition distract us from the fact this has been a fantastic transfer window for us, probably the best in the history of our football club 
Let’s just get behind them and focus on the positives because in truth we should all still be in dreamland."

Everton fans are not full of the joys of spring:

everton.png

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
It's a bollocks of a job editing a post with images and text in it
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

No points deduction for Leicester this season. Avoiding relegation just got even harder. 

Amazing there's no consequence at all. Everton and Forest must feel especially aggrieved. Perhaps this is pre-empting the Man City case?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Amazing there's no consequence at all. Everton and Forest must feel especially aggrieved. Perhaps this is pre-empting the Man City case?

Softening the approach on Leicester to make up for an almighty brush under the carpet for City coming up soon. Sounds about right!!

Like you said, Everton and Forest have genuine reason to be absolutley pissed. None of this is good for us though, that was potentially one of our 'saving graces'. 

Edited by S-Clarke

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sets a dangerous precedent.

The issue is the legal meaning of the rules as they are written, so effectively a cock up by the PL's legal team for not considering this specific situation when drafting the PSR.

Imagine the loophole will be closed veey soon if it hasn't been already.

Its nothing to do with the City case as the PL wanted to enforce the rules against Leicester but those rules were, in this case, not legally binding.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The issue is the legal meaning of the rules as they are written, so effectively a cock up by the PL's legal team for not considering this specific situation when drafting the PSR.

Imagine the loophole will be closed veey soon if it hasn't been already.

Its nothing to do with the City case as the PL wanted to enforce the rules against Leicester but those rules were, in this case, not legally binding.

Isn't it something to do with Leicester not being in the PL for one of the 3 previous years? We should've spent more money then!! 

18 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Softening the approach on Leicester to make up for an almighty brush under the carpet for City coming up soon. Sounds about right!!

Like you said, Everton and Forest have genuine reason to be absolutley pissed. None of this is good for us though, that was potentially one of our 'saving graces'. 

You are bang on the money mentioning a softly softly approach in the run-up to City's case. It sticks out like a sore thumb and they hope the idiot fans won't join up the dots. FFP outcomes are clearly not a level playing field for certain clubs. 

16 hours ago, Oldandtired said:

Does this ruling mean that our apparent PSR restraints are not now there as part of our losses were in the championship?

Leicester moved their financial end of year back one month which is allowed & by doing so were not in the EPL when the charges were laid.  A technicality but it held up on appeal. It reflects poorly on the EPL as it shows their incompetence by not closing a loophole.

• Confused 1

What is embarrassing is that the Independent Panel ruling on the appeal said that the PSR rules "are, in relevant parts, far from well drafted".

A multi billion pound business that has left loop holes in its rule book is a bit comical.  Leicester wont be too popular at the next EPL meeting but I'm guessing they don't care.

3 hours ago, Football Special said:

Football is becoming a game for accountants isn't it, whole thing just descends into farce might as well just allow a spending free for all

https://x.com/JamesOlley/status/1831344095014388201?t=emkWt4IV2V0TPy6bnGJfzQ&s=19

I've just joined a Fantasy Accountancy League. I've signed mainly Leicester's, Man City's, and Chelsea's Accountants. You can spend up to $800,000,000,000 before you incur any penalties. If you pick Everton's Accountants for your team you can spend £1.75 with an added bonus of being able to sell a second-hand dugout on ebay. 

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, whelk said:

Not sure if mentioned already but Aston Villa’s CL ticket prices are a joke. In Germany they woudl all stay away in protest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c0mnye0kv9jo

It won’t be a joke if people pay them. I’d bet on all their games selling out, even at that price. They’re less than an England cricket match at the Rose Bowl and the CL is once in a generation stuff for Villa fans.

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It won’t be a joke if people pay them. I’d bet on all their games selling out, even at that price. They’re less than an England cricket match at the Rose Bowl and the CL is once in a generation stuff for Villa fans.

Still is a joke though, sad for Villa fans priced out, especially the youngsters, makes you wonder if its all worth it, I'd rather see my team in JPT and afford to go than Champions league and sit outside the ground. 

They've made a good point that other clubs like Liverpool manage to keep some prices down with the spread of prices low to high whereas Villa just gone for all top price. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Bologna at home £90. Something to tell the grandkids you were there for the 1-1 draw

1 hour ago, Football Special said:

Still is a joke though, sad for Villa fans priced out, especially the youngsters, makes you wonder if its all worth it, I'd rather see my team in JPT and afford to go than Champions league and sit outside the ground. 

They've made a good point that other clubs like Liverpool manage to keep some prices down with the spread of prices low to high whereas Villa just gone for all top price. 

Liverpool are in the CL every season. Villa might not make it again for another 25 years. Any tickets they sell for less than these kind of prices would just be hoovered up by scalpers and sold on with a big mark up anyway, so it makes no difference.

42 minutes ago, whelk said:

Bologna at home £90. Something to tell the grandkids you were there for the 1-1 draw

The CL is a brand. People will pay £90 for a ticket with ‘Champions League’ written on it, same as they’d pay £90 for a T-shirt with Boss on the front.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Liverpool are in the CL every season. Villa might not make it again for another 25 years. Any tickets they sell for less than these kind of prices would just be hoovered up by scalpers and sold on with a big mark up anyway, so it makes no difference.

I don't think so. Tickets sold for half that price would be bought by Villa season ticket holders who would go to the game. 

38 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

For a one off against a decent European team, maybe I don’t know. Plenty would though, we’d easily sell out St Mary’s.

I've no doubt we would sell out, even at those prices. I've got three others to buy for, so at £90 a ticket I would politely decline. 

45 minutes ago, Football Special said:

I don't think so. Tickets sold for half that price would be bought by Villa season ticket holders who would go to the game. 

Some of them would but touts would absolutely hoover them but before many average fans could get their hands on one, then sell them on at probably around £90 themselves.

Put it this way, if someone told you they’d bought an Oasis ticket for £90 you wouldn’t batter an eyelid.

I am really struggling to see how we can avoid going down this season. I just cannot see 3 teams worse than us. This is of course based on RM sticking with his style and us conceding at least one silly goal per game. If he changes this and or we get a new manager who stops this silliness, then maybe we can stay up. But I am still finding it hard to see 3 teams worse than us.

At present Everton look as if they could be one ... but they started like this last season and ended up more than safe. Leicester with no points deduction, with Vardy they always get goals that we will fail to get. Ipswich have made some great signings on paper, but will they gel and make the grade? Then who else is there? Wolves surely have enough experience in this league to top us? Palace? Forest? It really is hard to see 3 worse than us, but then it is too early to be sure as we have not seen enough of anyone as yet to make a decent judgement I guess.

Hey guys. So frustrating there is a pause in the English premier soccerball league after only game week 3. I can’t wait the the match plays to restart these non compete games to try out national team selection players really is gnalry

Looking forward to the return of Southampton Saints with our battle to retain premier league soccerball!