The Premier League Thread - 2024/25

CSA96

21 hours ago, Turkish said:

hey guys, after a year of football who else is buzzing for the return of soccerball with match week one only a few weeks away! 

Excited to see our roster

35 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Amusingly they played a friendly yesterday in their new kit and the badges started falling off.

https://x.com/TheyThinkKits/status/1814342939717353850?t=0tPmgsNj8waACSoLQyY9lQ&s=19

I’m surprised at this. I’ve loads of Castore gear and the quality has always been pretty good. You can also pick up some real bargains in their sales.  Still funny though 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

Aston Villa done some really good business again. Got to be a good bet to keep their champions league place again. Crazy to think less than two years ago they sacked Gerrard and looked like relegation candidates. Incredible turnaround.

• Like 2

Thought it might be interesting to look at other team's transfers and found my way to Everton. Maybe i've been living under a rock, but they've not signed much quality this far, and they've sold Onana (played for them 30times last season and easily one of their best remaining players) for big money to villa. I'm assuming this is also related to PSR regulations as there appear to be multiple villa everton shenanigans going on, with 3 players changing over between the two sides - all of them under 22.

They also sold Godfrey from defence (played for them 15times in the prem last season), and left winger dobbin (played 12 times in the prem and scored 1 goal), plus danjuma has returned to Villarreal (14 prem games, 1 goal - left wing again). 

On the face of it, i'd say they've got some serious strengthening to do if they want to stay competitive at the bottom end... Although they're probably sat there looking at Leicester (points deductions and limited funds), us, and ipswich and thinking they've got it comfortably wrapped up - let alone the likes of forest etc.
image.thumb.png.b4ad98af0340511d1462837854445d90.png

This is their current outfield squad... It doesn't exactly scream quality - alot will hinge on whether they can keep DCL fit / the quality of their back up strikers.
image.thumb.png.cecbfd444fae40406c44bc5f1c7d0605.png

Edited by Saint86

18 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Thought it might be interesting to look at other team's transfers and found my way to Everton. Maybe i've been living under a rock, but they've not signed much quality this far, and they've sold Onana (played for them 30times last season and easily one of their best remaining players) for big money to villa. I'm assuming this is also related to PSR regulations as there appear to be multiple villa everton shenanigans going on, with 3 players changing over between the two sides - all of them under 22.

They also sold Godfrey from defence (played for them 15times in the prem last season), and left winger dobbin (played 12 times in the prem and scored 1 goal), plus danjuma has returned to Villarreal (14 prem games, 1 goal - left wing again). 

On the face of it, i'd say they've got some serious strengthening to do if they want to stay competitive at the bottom end... Although they're probably sat there looking at Leicester (points deductions and limited funds), us, and ipswich and thinking they've got it comfortably wrapped up - let alone the likes of forest etc.
image.thumb.png.b4ad98af0340511d1462837854445d90.png

This is their current outfield squad... It doesn't exactly scream quality - alot will hinge on whether they can keep DCL fit / the quality of their back up strikers.
image.thumb.png.cecbfd444fae40406c44bc5f1c7d0605.png

Branthwaite won't still be there when the window shuts. They had their first pre-season friendly on Friday against Sligo Rovers with a different 11 in each half and he wasn't in the squad despite being fit. My nephew, who has always played in midfield until now, started the game at CB, so it looks likely they are already planning for the season without Branthwaite. 

They drew 3-3 against a second string side (because the first team played in the FAI Cup on Sunday) after being 2-0 down. Our old friend Mason Holgate got them back to 2-1 with a header, then a minute later he gifted Sligo a 3rd goal with a horrific back pass under no pressure. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Branthwaite won't still be there when the window shuts. They had their first pre-season friendly on Friday against Sligo Rovers with a different 11 in each half and he wasn't in the squad despite being fit. My nephew, who has always played in midfield until now, started the game at CB, so it looks likely they are already planning for the season without Branthwaite. 

They drew 3-3 against a second string side (because the first team played in the FAI Cup on Sunday) after being 2-0 down. Our old friend Mason Holgate got them back to 2-1 with a header, then a minute later he gifted Sligo a 3rd goal with a horrific back pass under no pressure. 

Hah, well... i know you shouldn't read too much into preseason friendlies, but losing to a 2nd string sligo rovers side is a far cry from beating national league Eastleigh 7-1 😅. Can imagine there would have been a mini summer meltdown on here if that happened to us 😅

23 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Hah, well... i know you shouldn't read too much into preseason friendlies, but losing to a 2nd string sligo rovers side is a far cry from beating national league Eastleigh 7-1 😅. Can imagine there would have been a mini summer meltdown on here if that happened to us 😅

Yeah, the match thread on Grand Old Team forum was quite entertaining from an outsider's perspective 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Danbert said:

Calvert Lewis has only a year left on his contract, I think, so I'd imagine he'll be off. Perhaps this is their year 😁

Let's hope we sort our striking options out before then. Already competing with Ipswich for Brereton-Diaz. Everton tried to sign him before he decided on Villarreal.

On 23/07/2024 at 19:41, Danbert said:

Calvert Lewis has only a year left on his contract, I think, so I'd imagine he'll be off. Perhaps this is their year 😁

Where to? He has been shite for a while.

59 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Birmingham’s beer menu. Now this is premier league standard 

IMG_4685.jpeg

They need to work on the 'Wine' aspect.  I mean, that's kind of generic ... I can imagine the conversation "What wine is it?" ... "Just wine, dunno".  Crack the wine, Champions League. 

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They need to work on the 'Wine' aspect.  I mean, that's kind of generic ... I can imagine the conversation "What wine is it?" ... "Just wine, dunno".  Crack the wine, Champions League. 

If it isn't a Primativo and a Grillo i'm not having it.

On 23/07/2024 at 10:49, Turkish said:

Aston Villa done some really good business again. Got to be a good bet to keep their champions league place again. Crazy to think less than two years ago they sacked Gerrard and looked like relegation candidates. Incredible turnaround.

I remember the game on the Friday at Villa Park in Sept 2022. We were crap, and Villa under Gerrard marginally less crap. But in a few weeks they appointed Emery and we appointed Nathan Jones. No wonder our paths diverged from there. 

• Like 5

Not sure if anyone has checked out predictions for this year, but most seem to be getting overly excited about Ipswich - much in the same vein as they did about Burnley last year. And I'm really not sure why. I see some decent signings, but nothing 'wow' - they do still have a core of pretty limited players (Morsy, Chaplin etc). We seem to be set to finish bottom according to most, adrift of everyone, based on all I've seen. 

Not sure what the logic is. I think we'll all struggle, the proof in the pudding on the gap was shown to all last year - if anything maybe ourselves and Leicester (if they avoid deductions) have more of a shot because we already had established PL players in our group. Ipswich are just this years Burnley in my eyes. We'll see.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure if anyone has checked out predictions for this year, but most seem to be getting overly excited about Ipswich - much in the same vein as they did about Burnley last year. And I'm really not sure why. I see some decent signings, but nothing 'wow' - they do still have a core of pretty limited players (Morsy, Chaplin etc). We seem to be set to finish bottom according to most, adrift of everyone, based on all I've seen. 

Not sure what the logic is. I think we'll all struggle, the proof in the pudding on the gap was shown to all last year - if anything maybe ourselves and Leicester (if they avoid deductions) have more of a shot because we already had established PL players in our group. Ipswich are just this years Burnley in my eyes. We'll see.

To be fair, I think McKenna is a lot better manager than Kompany. I can see them staying up, he knows how to be pragmatic (not a dig at RM).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think our defensive record sets us up for these sorts of opinions.

We've done little to address those concerns apart from buying an aging relegated LB (good buy IMO, but probably not the average fan of other clubs), a decent looking RB, an average CB from Swansea and a promising young CB from Peterborough. Not exactly screaming defensive solidity.

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Way too early for any of these pundits making claims about relegation etc. All the squads are going to look vastly different come the end of the transfer window. I wouldn't bother reading or making any predictions until the start of the season at the earliest. 

5 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

I think our defensive record sets us up for these sorts of opinions.

We've done little to address those concerns apart from buying an aging relegated LB (good buy IMO, but probably not the average fan of other clubs), a decent looking RB, an average CB from Swansea and a promising young CB from Peterborough. Not exactly screaming defensive solidity.

Yes, maybe - if we play as open as we did last year then we will be in for some real records of goals conceded that's for sure!

I'm intrigued to see how we do really, the slightly more pragmatic approach in the playoffs suggested a slight tweak to how we approach better sides - well, we're facing 17 better sides next year so maybe we'll be a lot more pragmatic than we all think!

• Like 1

On 23/07/2024 at 13:07, Sheaf Saint said:

So they lost 2-1 to Salford yesterday. No Branthwaite again. And DCL with a miss that would make even Che feel embarrassed. The gallows humour on GOT is truly something to behold. There's a pretty unanimous opinion that they're going to go down this year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

So they lost 2-1 to Salford yesterday. No Branthwaite again. And DCL with a miss that would make even Che feel embarrassed. The gallows humour on GOT is truly something to behold. There's a pretty unanimous opinion that they're going to go down this year.

Obviously wish your Nephew all the luck, but from a selfish PoV, I f-ing hope they go down!!!

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Obviously wish your Nephew all the luck, but from a selfish PoV, I f-ing hope they go down!!!

ANY club that has Holgate anywhere near the 1st team squad this season in the Prem is relegation fodder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Thry are bound to scrape together enough points to stay up. Probably at our expense. 

The one thing I am absolutely certain of is that Everton will not be relegated. Not even worth pretending they might do. They just won't.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The one thing I am absolutely certain of is that Everton will not be relegated. Not even worth pretending they might do. They just won't.

Its inexplicable. But they can be absolutely dreadful and still stay up. Thought last season might have done for them when they couldn't rely on their points from us. Might be worth backing them to do down in their first season in the new stadium.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It’s definitely time they went, they’ve been stinking the place out for years but have always managed to do just enough. But I agree, they’ll probably just about find 3 worse teams to keep them afloat. 

That shiny new stadium would be a fantastic addition to the championship though 

42 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

That's the sort of dogmatic post to mentally bookmark to bring up at a suitable time. Not so much to prove you wrong, or the humour but we all want bloomin' Everton to be relegated!

2 hours ago, Jack said:

It’s definitely time they went, they’ve been stinking the place out for years but have always managed to do just enough.

They remind me of Sunderland in the years before they finally went down. Like a turd that won't flush.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2024 at 18:20, Sheaf Saint said:

They remind me of Sunderland in the years before they finally went down. Like a turd that won't flush.

I disagree, take away points deductions how many points clear of relegation were they last year? Not even close were they 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

I disagree, take away points deductions how many points clear of relegation were they last year? Not even close were they 

Yep. They're miles away from being relegation fodder for me. They'll be there with Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton etc trying to snatch the coveted 10th place. 

59 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Forest and wolves are more likely relegation candidates than Everton. Along with Leicester and Ipswich of course. 

As it stands, the Everton squad needs major improvements to be competitive this season. They've already sold Onana and Branthwaite will go. They will probably cash in on DCL this window as well, although he's a shadow of the player he once was. 

If they have to rely on the likes of Keane, Holgate and Coleman in defence for any sustained period then they're screwed. 

With massive financial problems, a collapsed takeover deal, and more FFP penalties hanging over them, it will be interesting to see if they can/do make the signings they will need. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2024 at 12:08, SambaMaverick said:

To be fair, I think McKenna is a lot better manager than Kompany. I can see them staying up, he knows how to be pragmatic (not a dig at RM).

All depends on how long McKenna is there. If Chelsea or United dont get off to the start they want and ipswich are doing alright, I suspect they'll come knocking. 

I think Chelsea will struggle again this season 

4 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

As it stands, the Everton squad needs major improvements to be competitive this season. They've already sold Onana and Branthwaite will go. They will probably cash in on DCL this window as well, although he's a shadow of the player he once was. 

If they have to rely on the likes of Keane, Holgate and Coleman in defence for any sustained period then they're screwed. 

With massive financial problems, a collapsed takeover deal, and more FFP penalties hanging over them, it will be interesting to see if they can/do make the signings they will need. 

Somehow they're just about to spend £27m on a young CB from Lyon. (might have already gone through tbf). I guess it's the precursor to Brathwaite going. 

Although how they have the flexibility to buy before they sell is beyond me. 

On 28/07/2024 at 14:59, CB Fry said:

I think they might get away with it this year because of Leicester's massive points deductions. Which basically means its only 2 other spots open.

But unless they make some signings they'll be flirting with it. Sean Dyche or no Sean Dyche.

No one really knows how Ipswich and Saints are going to do at the end of the day (although I'm being optimistic and think we'll stay up without too much trouble).  Similarly, Ipswich do have a good manager and might surprise a few team (saints did when we did the bounce).

Or put another way - if you write Leicester off and assume one of saints / Ipswich stay up, I think its hard to make a case that Everton are certain to stay up as it stands. Both them and forest are certainly teams we should be targeting to finish above.

Edited by Saint86

Are Leicester still expected to get hit with this points deduction, all very quiet when it was reportedly nailed on before the season starts due to the PL just waiting for them to return to penalise them? 

21 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Chelsea after Pedro Neto - do Boehly et al have some kind of brain damage?

Remember the summer Joe Shields was in charge of transfers here...

Squad building isn't his thing. If a player is available, come on in.

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

Remember the summer Joe Shields was in charge of transfers here...

Squad building isn't his thing. If a player is available, come on in.

It's just beyond ridiculous now. All this money and talent under someone who almost fucked up the Championship title with it's best-ever side last season as well, I just don't get it.