The Premier League Thread - 2024/25

CSA96

Time for the government regulator imo. It would put us behind some European countries, but surely even Arsenal/Man U/Tottenham would get behind it now. There's no way they can keep up if the state-owned clubs (Chelsea/Newcastle/City) are allowed to do what they want. I'm sure even Chelsea and Newcastle fans aren't fond of the way things are going. City, eh, they're too far gone.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

If there was a super league, wouldn’t they all just continue to poach our best players who would dream of playing in it for the crazy wages?

Can't the mercenaries all just fuck off to Saudi Arabia if it's only for the money ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

If there was a super league, wouldn’t they all just continue to poach our best players who would dream of playing in it for the crazy wages?

Yeah, probably. What you'd get is a 'Premier, Premier League' and the rest in what would be the 'new' Championship. Anyone decent in the 'new' championship would get poached by the premier, premier league. And obviously all players would then aspire to play in the premier premier league, obviously because of it's competitiveness and not the $$$.

I wouldn't be against letting them battle it out in their own league though, it would close the gap between the rest and maybe even the leagues below and it would all be a bit more compeatative. I enjoyed the Championship last season, it's nice going into a league where you have a shot of maybe doing something, rather than being in a league where you're just food and drink for the top 6.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad we're there, for the club it's imperative financially, but it won't be as enjoyable from a footballing perspective next year.

If you could guarantee that we'd continue as a top Championship team and be fine financially, always pushing up the top end and coming 1st or 2nd, but never actually getting promoted, I'd probably take that.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gingeletiss said:

Trouble is, they wanted the super league, and a reduced team premiership, so they could have the best of both worlds. I agree, get rid, but they have to go completely.

Yep, wanted to dictate on the domestic league front as well as having a closed shop European league. 

Although in the ‘old days', before clubs went bankrupt, owners could and did put money into the club to take advantage of signing players, it wasn’t as exclusive as of now.

It’s a hard one to solve since the PSR has tied clubs to their own levels of set income. 

Can we at least get the super league clubs to stay out of the domestic cups? They are always so worried about fixture congestion so they could just sit them out to piss around with more Champions League fixtures instead. League Cup is already downgraded to give a Europa Conference place and a poor league season can't be saved by winning the FA Cup, as Ten Hag and Wenger have shown in recent years.

After the excitement of winning 'lesser' trophies like the JPT, playoff final and coming so close to winning the EFL trophy, I would be well up for something similar to the Full Members Cup: all the fun of a knockout tournament without sovereign wealth funds or oligarchs pissing in everyone's bonfire.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2024 at 15:43, S-Clarke said:

it's nice going into a league where you have a shot of maybe doing something, rather than being in a league where you're just food and drink for the top 6.

I doubt the rest of the teams in the Championship outside the Big 4 clubs didn't think it was so nice. I expect their fans were cursing… "if only those Big 4 clubs would bugger off and play amongst themsleves, then the Championship would be really competitive and fun to watch"

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Appears that Everton are nailed on relegated even before a ball is kicked. According to a ‘Football Insider’ exclusive they are about to be deducted 12 million points. Bit harsh to be honest, even for the dugout archaeologists. 

IMG_0616.jpeg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Fixtures out tomorrow. Assume our first match will be Crystal Palace away? (or maybe I'm getting confused with FA Cup draws.... ;) )

Just to be clear, and avoid a sleepless night tonight then, should Brooks return, will he be cup tied for the Palace fixture, does it carry over to next season for the first time in history ?

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Fixtures out tomorrow. Assume our first match will be Crystal Palace away? (or maybe I'm getting confused with FA Cup draws.... ;) )

Very disappointed that the club hasn't organised a special fixture unveiling event where they are handed out to supporters in sealed envelopes to be opened at 9.00 am

47 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Very disappointed that the club hasn't organised a special fixture unveiling event where they are handed out to supporters in sealed envelopes to be opened at 9.00 am

They are poised with the t-shirts and half and half scarves...

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Surprised they have not been leaked.

The fixtures only gets sent to the clubs and media about an hour before the 9am embargo. They will have been consulted along with the police about any potential date issues but at the moment, only a select few individuals at the Premier League know the full schedule. So any leaks out there are 100% false.

Also a lot of the leaks, you know are false because they don't take into account the numerous parameters i.e. some teams can't play at home together like Man City/Man Utd, Everton/Liverpool etc. and there has to be at least one 'Top 8' clash

Edited by Pamplemousse

On 17/06/2024 at 17:44, Badger said:

Just to be clear, and avoid a sleepless night tonight then, should Brooks return, will he be cup tied for the Palace fixture, does it carry over to next season for the first time in history ?

You've got me confused now - is Newcastle away in the FA Cup?   If so I'm annoyed they've further devalued the competition by having the 3rd round in mid-August.    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Decent appointment. Looks like Potter fell through then. I would have thought Cooper would have been on our list to turn to if Martin was struggling this upcoming season (hopefully he excels!). Off the market now.

Edited by goodymatt

24 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Decent appointment. Looks like Potter fell through then. I would have thought Cooper would have been on our list to turn to if Martin was struggling this upcoming season (hopefully he excels!). Off the market now.

Leicester fans are absolutely devastated by the appointment and are all but resigned to their fate now. That might be more the Forest connection though, as that's kinda a derby for them.

They were dangled the opportunity of Potter and ended up with ex-Forest Cooper on a potential -12 start, so I can kind of see why they feel that way.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Leicester fans are absolutely devastated by the appointment and are all but resigned to their fate now. That might be more the Forest connection though, as that's kinda a derby for them.

They were dangled the opportunity of Potter and ended up with ex-Forest Cooper on a potential -12 start, so I can kind of see why they feel that way.

Yeah going from Potter to Cooper is a come down for sure. Minus points presents a mountain to climb regardless of their manager, coupled with the expectancy of player sales you’d imagine. I wonder if it will really be -12 though? 

7 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Yeah going from Potter to Cooper is a come down for sure. Minus points presents a mountain to climb regardless of their manager, coupled with the expectancy of player sales you’d imagine. I wonder if it will really be -12 though? 

Just reading around some Leicester forums, they seem convinced it's more than -10 - not sure why, might have some more background info.

When you think of the fine margins to stay up, for a newly promoted club to be hit by any minus points is a bit of a hammer. This is another reason why we have to be so careful with spending ourselves. Annoyingly we probably have more money than we have ever had in the PL, but we can't spend it out of fear. 

It's such a screwed up system.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Just reading around some Leicester forums, they seem convinced it's more than -10 - not sure why, might have some more background info.

When you think of the fine margins to stay up, for a newly promoted club to be hit by any minus points is a bit of a hammer. This is another reason why we have to be so careful with spending ourselves. Annoyingly we probably have more money than we have ever had in the PL, but we can't spend it out of fear. 

It's such a screwed up system.

Yep, a minus 12 start means you need to get close to or hit 50 points - mid-table form. It's not impossible but as we found out back in League One with the minus ten, it hands around your neck for a while as we only won one game until October.

I'm not sure how Everton are still signing players but apparently they're bringing in a Villa midfielder for £10 million. I know they expect to get big money for Onana and Braithwaite but maybe get that money before you start spending it!

Villa are selling Douglas Luiz and bringing in a couple of their players, one of which is Iling-Junior the England U21 players, and are also close to signing Ian Maatsen from Chelsea.

Depends if you'd rather have the transfer fund or your best players. Palace will probably get £150 million to £180 million for Guehi, Olise and Eze but will then be reliant on spending it properly. I know I wouldn't trust the transfer decision makers at Saints with that money to spend!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Depends if you'd rather have the transfer fund or your best players. Palace will probably get £150 million to £180 million for Guehi, Olise and Eze but will then be reliant on spending it properly. I know I wouldn't trust the transfer decision makers at Saints with that money to spend!

Palace seem to be pretty good at unearthing gems who are relatively unknown.