Krueger's Five Pledges

Dusic

Probably amongst the greatest unpublished works.

Anyway, one impact of promotion will surely be on the supposed player pathway and the immediate next steps for our best young players.

Would imagine that after pre season Ballard will go on loan and Sam Amo and Dibling probably need to as well. There is surely a limited amount they can now learn from age group football, yet they aren't likely to get first team mins either.

Perhaps there might be a role for Meghoma in the first team squad, but if not then same applies to him.

So difficult for young players to get PL opportunities at a club like Saints until we either a.) reach midtable security  or b.) are already relegated with two months of the season to go.

I've made this point before but the last time we were promoted to the Premier League we brought both JWP & Luke Shaw into the first team during the season.  JWP even started our first game that year (away to Man City) when he still was 17, relegating a certain Rickie Lambert to the bench. 

Putting youth into the first team is possible in the PL, but not many managers are brave enough to do it.

On 30/05/2024 at 13:39, Barsiem said:

I've made this point before but the last time we were promoted to the Premier League we brought both JWP & Luke Shaw into the first team during the season.  JWP even started our first game that year (away to Man City) when he still was 17, relegating a certain Rickie Lambert to the bench. 

Putting youth into the first team is possible in the PL, but not many managers are brave enough to do it.

Absolutley it can be done, I genuinely think SAA could play a part - I hope we get to see him. Not sure we have many others who are truly ready for the mega step up, but the thing with academy kids is that one often comes from nowhere and catches everyone off guard.

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2024 at 10:27, S-Clarke said:

Absolutley it can be done, I genuinely think SAA could play a part - I hope we get to see him. Not sure we have many others who are truly ready for the mega step up, but the thing with academy kids is that one often comes from nowhere and catches everyone off guard.

Luke shaw was a bit different as he had a man’s physique at 17, he did an awful lot of strength training which meant he could compete in first team football which is often the difference. I remember hearing a Man U player saying when Shaw first joined was in the gym bench pressing 120kg which is phenomenal for a footballer.
JWP might have stated but it was another 3 or so seasons before he really became a first team regular starter.  Remember how Gareth Bale looked when he left us a scrawny 17 year old kid yet 3 years later at spurs he had the physique of a superhero. It’s quite often not down to ability but physical strength and power 

Edited by Turkish

On 30/05/2024 at 13:39, Barsiem said:

Rodriguez played instead of Lambert not JWP. He took Hammond's place in the team.

On 01/06/2024 at 16:27, S-Clarke said:

What about that wonder kid we have who is probably going to a tip team without playing for us? 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

What about that wonder kid we have who is probably going to a tip team without playing for us? 

Gomes Rodriguez? Yeah he could come through, but he is very young - only just turned 16 I think, but looks like he's 20.

Be interesting to see if he gets involved in our pre-season this year, certainly has the build already for mens football.

I think Meghoma is the one that might have the best chance. He was pretty much faultless when he played this season, and has that initial acceleration that you need as a PL defender.

Given our lack of LB aside from Manning I think he should get minutes in pre season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Gomes Rodriguez? Yeah he could come through, but he is very young - only just turned 16 I think, but looks like he's 20.

Be interesting to see if he gets involved in our pre-season this year, certainly has the build already for mens football.

He's been stalling over the offer of a professional contract for some time now by the sounds of it.... I think we all know how this ends....

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24307925.southampton-make-final-contract-offer-promising-academy-youngster/

SAINTS have made their final first professional contract offer to academy forward Alejandro Gomes Rodriguez. 

The 16 year old is an early physical developer and impressed at under-18s level this season, registering a goal and nine assists in 10 league matches.

Gomes Rodriguez was rewarded with a step up to the under-21s, where he scored on his Premier League 2 debut.

He has made 15 appearances across the under-18 and under-21 age groups this season, netting twice and setting up nine.

Saints are not scrapping to keep the England, Portugal and Venezuela youth international but have made their final offer for his first pro deal.

They believe the offer accurately represents his level and potential and is in line with the academy wage structure.

Gomes Rodriguez can not officially sign a professional contract until he turns 17 next March, as is standard for any young player.

The academy wage structure has been crafted based on actual potential, to encourage ambition and to keep pay consistent in the dressing rooms.

For example, Sam Amo-Ameyaw and Jayden Meghoma, signed from Spurs at 16 years old, are on deals in line with their potential but not earning significantly more than their teammates.

A new academy director - in addition to recruitment chiefs and coaches - was hired last summer to help overhaul the setup. 

As exhibited with the exit of Kami Doyle to Brighton earlier this season, which pocketed the club millions, Saints accept they may lose players this way.

Despite being pushed to other clubs, there is limited interest in Gomes Rodriguez in England - hence why the foreign route is also being explored.

However, transfers between English clubs before a player has reached 17 have become commonplace and are always a big risk. Saints have experienced such deals with Jimmy Jay Morgan, Tyler Dibling and Max Alleyne in recent years.

In the event of Gomes Rodriguez exiting the club, Saints would be entitled to training compensation and potential future solidarity contributions. 

Saints signed the youngster from local Junior Premier League side Eastleigh Tornados in the summer of 2022.

Edited by trousers