2024/25 season ticket information released

CSA96

12 minutes ago, steve green said:

Was it about 2-3 seasons ago when many in the itchen South and Chapel found the automated card entry not working. Cue flustered stewards and some (including myself) missing the start of the game. It also took a few games to sort it out if I remember.

I just don't have much faith in Saint's IT dept to manage this. If not using NFC / wireless and screen grabs not working (why? it's a good standby and can only be used once), I remain unsure what foolproof tech the system is using. As a very old git I'm quite happy to use all the modern advances available, but understand that some may not possess the hardware or skills to access it.

It just seems a bit more complicated than it needs to be.

But hey, stuck here in the Welsh wilds my St Marys days are pretty much over so not my problem, though I can see some issues for the club if the system isn't reliable. KISS.

Hardcopy of everything is a general rule. Especially when travelling.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, steve green said:

Was it about 2-3 seasons ago when many in the itchen South and Chapel found the automated card entry not working. Cue flustered stewards and some (including myself) missing the start of the game. It also took a few games to sort it out if I remember.

I just don't have much faith in Saint's IT dept to manage this. If not using NFC / wireless and screen grabs not working (why? it's a good standby and can only be used once), I remain unsure what foolproof tech the system is using. As a very old git I'm quite happy to use all the modern advances available, but understand that some may not possess the hardware or skills to access it.

But hey, stuck here in the Welsh wilds my St Marys days are pretty much over so not my problem, though I can see some issues for the club if the system isn't reliable. KISS.

Steve, don't age yourself "As a very old git ". You're younger than me😂

5 hours ago, steve green said:

It’s about as uncomplicated as it could be. The ticket will be on your app, and you open your app and scan it to get in.

There’s nothing more complicated this way than having the ticket in your pocket and scanning it. It’s actually just one less thing to forget.

There might well be some issues with it at some stage, just like there was issues when people’s paper/card tickets didn’t work, the process will be no less or more inconvenient as it is now. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

It’s about as uncomplicated as it could be. The ticket will be on your app, and you open your app and scan it to get in.

There’s nothing more complicated this way than having the ticket in your pocket and scanning it. It’s actually just one less thing to forget.

There might well be some issues with it at some stage, just like there was issues when people’s paper/card tickets didn’t work, the process will be no less or more inconvenient as it is now. 

That’s clearly not true.

A season ticket can be a card in your wallet. You won’t lose that. Too many things have to go right for this system to go smoothly. And for why? It can only be to gain more control. There’s nothing that this system does that could not have been done with previous season tickets. Cup tickets could be ‘uploaded’ to the card although that’s as far from the truth as it could be.

It relies on the customer having a modern smartphone and an accessible email account and a data service for when things go wrong. If a couple want to go to the match, and there are several that I know, then they each need all of these. A family of four needs four.

I ask again, what’s in it for me?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That’s clearly not true.

A season ticket can be a card in your wallet. You won’t lose that. Too many things have to go right for this system to go smoothly. And for why? It can only be to gain more control. There’s nothing that this system does that could not have been done with previous season tickets. Cup tickets could be ‘uploaded’ to the card although that’s as far from the truth as it could be.

It relies on the customer having a modern smartphone and an accessible email account and a data service for when things go wrong. If a couple want to go to the match, and there are several that I know, then they each need all of these. A family of four needs four.

You’ll be allowed into the game with a lot less fuss than if you turn up arguing all of that whilst having a couple of spare phones in your pocket, that’s what’s in it for you.

The only thing that has to go right is turning up with your ticket and hoping the scanner works properly. That’s no different to last season. The only difference is where you hold your ticket, which I think, you think is a bigger deal than it actually is for most people (the others have alternative available to them for a small charge).

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That’s clearly not true.

One less thing to lose, improves processes, more streamline, less things to go wrong, less admin. Better for the environment. 

They’ve given you the option that if you want to be difficult you can pay for a physical card, not sure what your point is to be honest. sometimes the solution isn’t about the “individual”

• Confused 1

I do think if you are an individual it will be straight forward to log in, scan and go. 
it just gets a bit more complicated if you’re taking younger children and you are out of the country and want to transfer your ticket in the open window before the match to another adult and also distribute the kids’ tickets to their phones. 
Until I face this scenario in September I won’t know how easy or difficult it is and if I run into difficulties is there going to be a mechanism at the ground in Southampton for getting it sorted before kick off? 

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

One less thing to lose, improves processes, more streamline, less things to go wrong, less admin. Better for the environment

They’ve given you the option that if you want to be difficult you can pay for a physical card, not sure what your point is to be honest. sometimes the solution isn’t about the “individual”

Now I know you’re not serious. Have you any idea how much power the internet and especially emails uses (wastes)? How the feck is it less admin? It will need a whole IT department to keep it running.

When it comes to paying customers the solution is always about the “individual”.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

You’ll be allowed into the game with a lot less fuss than if you turn up arguing all of that whilst having a couple of spare phones in your pocket, that’s what’s in it for you.

The only thing that has to go right is turning up with your ticket and hoping the scanner works properly. That’s no different to last season. The only difference is where you hold your ticket, which I think, you think is a bigger deal than it actually is for most people (the others have alternative available to them for a small charge).

“A couple of spare phones”.  Eh?

The difference is that the ticket is held somewhere in a virtual world which may be on your phone. Or not. Phones go wrong in so many ways. Apps go wrong.

This alternative card is only at the discretion of the club. It is not a guaranteed right.

”most people” for you means people of a similar age and background. People who already spend a lot of money on their phones and data plans and for whom this is not even and incremental cost.

Now step back for a moment and consider others. Pensioners perhaps, who don’t have or need a phone. Yes, there is supposed to be the option of a card but this should be offered at the point and time of sale.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Divergent said:

I do think if you are an individual it will be straight forward to log in, scan and go. 
it just gets a bit more complicated if you’re taking younger children and you are out of the country and want to transfer your ticket in the open window before the match to another adult and also distribute the kids’ tickets to their phones. 
Until I face this scenario in September I won’t know how easy or difficult it is and if I run into difficulties is there going to be a mechanism at the ground in Southampton for getting it sorted before kick off? 

Can you think of any possible way that there could be?

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Now I know you’re not serious. Have you any idea how much power the internet and especially emails uses (wastes)? How the feck is it less admin? It will need a whole IT department to keep it running.

When it comes to paying customers the solution is always about the “individual”.

We’re not customers, we’re supporters. 

I think it’s a good idea, I can see some potential issues with it but everything is going digital, we might as well get on board. 

I’ll complain if it goes wrong rather before anything has happened. 

18 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

“A couple of spare phones”.  Eh?

On 06/07/2024 at 17:20, Whitey Grandad said:

I've got a couple of spare phones. I think I might just install the app on one of them and lend my phone around 

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

They are in a drawer at my office. I have to have several variants with different operating systems in order to test the apps that my company produces. The club has not yet defined which operating systems are needed for this app or said whether it will work with older versions.

They ought to publish the features that it requires. 

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We’re not customers, we’re supporters. 

I think it’s a good idea, I can see some potential issues with it but everything is going digital, we might as well get on board. 

I’ll complain if it goes wrong rather before anything has happened. 

And that is at the root of many of our commercial problems.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

16 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

They are in a drawer at my office. I have to have several variants with different operating systems in order to test the apps that my company produces. The club has not yet defined which operating systems are needed for this app or said whether it will work with older versions.

The email they sent had links to an app for android and iPhone. Barely anyone is walking around with Linux or some other random operating system running on their phone.

It's extremely unlikely that such a simple app won't work on even the oldest smartphone anyone has.

The FAQs state that "Any fans who do not have a smartphone or those with accessible needs will be able to request a physical Season Ticket card if needed. We will communicate a specific window when supporters can contact our Ticket Office to request this."

Therefore any fan who can't use the app will be catered for. If it bothers you that much just tell them you don't have a smartphone and get a card instead.

Also, cards and physical tickets aren't infallible. The barcode of my son's season ticket rubbed off so he had to get a new one. Plenty of people have issues with printouts of tickets not scanning, I've seen it loads of times.

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You can tell by downloading it from the App Store. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

For someone who apparently works for a high tech IT company you seem weirdly incapable of reading and following very simple instructions the club sent you in an email. All the instructions are there, if you cant work it out then ask one of your colleagues or few thousand friends. Try it before deliberately being annoyed at something and making up hypothetical situations.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

For someone who apparently works for a high tech IT company you seem weirdly incapable of reading and following very simple instructions the club sent you in an email. All the instructions are there, if you cant work it out then ask one of your colleagues or few thousand friends. Try it before deliberately being annoyed at something and making up hypothetical situations.

I don’t work for a high tech IT company, I own one. That’s how I know all the things that can go wrong. When it all works there’s not a problem. But it will not work for everybody and their situations are not hypothetical.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Seems like another area that whitey is an expert in and hasn’t actually got a flipping clue what he’s talking about.

See my reply to Fabrice. My company, the one that I set up and own, has produced and developed and published apps so we know what can go wrong and what will go wrong.

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t work for a high tech IT company, I own one. That’s how I know all the things that can go wrong. When it all works there’s not a problem. But it will not work for everybody and their situations are not hypothetical.

Yes, it will not work for everyone, just like last seasons system didn’t. I didn’t even have to own a company to know that fact.

I also hate to break it to you, because you seem to think Saints will have a whole in house IT department on this but on the basis the app is identical to two others on my phone for other sports and by someone else’s on here is the same as the Euro’s, I’m going to guess it’s not been set up, produced, developed or published by Saints, just branded by them. And guess what, they work by and large, fine. 

If your experience with apps failing so bad leaves you this stressed then maybe start looking at some of the people you employ. 

7 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Yes, it will not work for everyone, just like last seasons system didn’t. I didn’t even have to own a company to know that fact.

I also hate to break it to you, because you seem to think Saints will have a whole in house IT department on this but on the basis the app is identical to two others on my phone for other sports and by someone else’s on here is the same as the Euro’s, I’m going to guess it’s not been set up, produced, developed or published by Saints, just branded by them. And guess what, they work by and large, fine. 

If your experience with apps failing so bad leaves you this stressed then maybe start looking at some of the people you employ. 

Nice try 😊

My son has not been able to activate his app. Despite entering the registered email address he has not received the activation code. Probably a long wait on the phone is next step.

24 minutes ago, gandalf said:

My son has not been able to activate his app. Despite entering the registered email address he has not received the activation code. Probably a long wait on the phone is next step.

Did he check junk folder my sons went there

15 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

In "My Tickets" it says "no tickets found" yet I've purchased a season ticket ! I'm presuming that this is normal ??

It says clearly under the no tickets found bit that they will generate 12 hours before the game

18 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

In "My Tickets" it says "no tickets found" yet I've purchased a season ticket ! I'm presuming that this is normal ??

For the first home game “by Friday 26th July”. For subsequent games 12 hours before kickoff. You won’t know that anything has gone wrong until it hasn’t gone right. At which point it’s too late to get anything done about it.

A digital ticket ensures supporters of the most convenient, flexible, and safest way to support the Saints” I can think of better ways.

Away supporters won’t have these problems coming to St. Mary’s because they’ll have paper tickets.

10 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It says clearly under the no tickets found bit that they will generate 12 hours before the game

Not on my app it doesn’t. It says “your mobile tickets will appear in the app closer to the event date”. I can’t copy and paste the text because the app has blocked that sort of thing.

You have to dive into the FAQs to find out more.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

26 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Not on my app it doesn’t. It says “your mobile tickets will appear in the app closer to the event date”. I can’t copy and paste the text because the app has blocked that sort of thing.

You have to dive into the FAQs to find out more.

I'm surprised you've gone with the app. Thought you'd go with a physical card given your opposition to this move.

8 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

I'm surprised you've gone with the app. Thought you'd go with a physical card given your opposition to this move.

I shall definitely go with a card when I can get one. The club has said that there will be a window for applications. As of yet we don’t know when that will be. As far as I’m concerned the more that ask/demand a physical card the better. Then we can get in to the stadium quickly and efficiently.

Other clubs don’t charge for this, Chelsea for example.

I had a look around for other examples of this ridiculous process and even I was surprised at how many problems there have been even worldwide.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4784693/2023/08/18/arsenal-tickets-premier-league/ (Paywall)

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Weekend-Rap/2022/09/11/College-Football-ticket-access.aspx

https://aisa.org/match-tickets-are-going-digital-what-happens-if-you-dont-have-a-smartphone-or-you-want-to-share-your-ticket/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-fans-wembley-tickets-chelsea-32208639

https://millwallonline.com/forum/threads/digital-tickets.53091/

These are just a few of many.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I shall definitely go with a card when I can get one. The club has said that there will be a window for applications. As of yet we don’t know when that will be. As far as I’m concerned the more that ask/demand a physical card the better. Then we can get in to the stadium quickly and efficiently.

I had a look around for other examples of this ridiculous process and even I was surprised at how many problems there have been even worldwide.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4784693/2023/08/18/arsenal-tickets-premier-league/ (Paywall)

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Weekend-Rap/2022/09/11/College-Football-ticket-access.aspx

https://aisa.org/match-tickets-are-going-digital-what-happens-if-you-dont-have-a-smartphone-or-you-want-to-share-your-ticket/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-fans-wembley-tickets-chelsea-32208639

Yeah the charge is a bit naughty in my book. Wonder what criteria they will use in deciding whether to apply it or not.

I think the vast majority of people would go digital so there's no reason they couldn't have offered the card as an option at point of sale.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You’re going to be even more surprised when you read the 5 links you posted and only two of them show examples of the problems you seem to be concerned about. 

The first link clearly states a technical issue that stopped paper tickets too.

The 2nd is from 2022 and USA but yeah highlights your concerns.

The 3rd is essentially an FAQ section.

The 4th is a concern. 

The 5th is a forum of posts made in Feb 23 which seem to mirror your posts about being upset about something they’ve announced and not yet experienced but goes dead shortly after.

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Tks, I was just trying to confirm on here that everyone had the same message as I was a bit surprised that they hadn't stated that a season ticket had been purchased !

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I find it amusing that you're moaning about an app within an app...

On 06/07/2024 at 12:49, beatlesaint said:

Are they seriously looking to charge people an extra £10 if they need an old style card?

i rang upand asked for one they never mentioned any charge just said it will be sent to me

5 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Yeah the charge is a bit naughty in my book. Wonder what criteria they will use in deciding whether to apply it or not.

I think the vast majority of people would go digital so there's no reason they couldn't have offered the card as an option at point of sale.

I don't agree.

They are trying to move the club forward into a more digital world, It's normal with "forced" change there should be a deterrent for not wanting to comply. 

It costs the club money to produce the tickets and send them out. The club should be covered for that inconvenience of the minority of fans being stubborn.

I've probably lost 4 or 5 season tickets in the last 10 years or so, I've never lost a phone. Plus I'm sure there are other data benefits they receive, i.e. how often fans transfer tickets to others, how many times they actually go themselves, those sharing (maybe they can remarket to them new product options).

For everyone the benefits outweigh the negatives IMO, it's a no brainer.

I lost my season ticket last season. Went up to the ticket office a couple of hours before the match and they sorted it out for me there and then. It stated there would be a charge but there wasn't one. It does say any charge will be discretionary so I suspect anyone who wants a card will get one.

Personally I think the change is good and I'm used to doing a lot of things on my phone but appreciate that it won't be for everyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I don't agree.

They are trying to move the club forward into a more digital world, It's normal with "forced" change there should be a deterrent for not wanting to comply. 

It costs the club money to produce the tickets and send them out. The club should be covered for that inconvenience of the minority of fans being stubborn.

I've probably lost 4 or 5 season tickets in the last 10 years or so, I've never lost a phone. Plus I'm sure there are other data benefits they receive, i.e. how often fans transfer tickets to others, how many times they actually go themselves, those sharing (maybe they can remarket to them new product options).

For everyone the benefits outweigh the negatives IMO, it's a no brainer.

I think it's each to their own really. I'm the opposite to you in that I've never lost a season ticket but lose/break at least 2 phones a year while out on the beer!

I don't think anyone doubts the benefits the club receive from it but I don't think they all benefit the customers too. You mention a good point on sharing season tickets - will this still be possible? Or will holders be threatened with losing them if they hit a certain amount of games they pass on?

I'm not too arsed about it personally as this was inevitable and most people are glued to their devices anyway. I just think the charge isn't fair especially with the wooly "case by case" but I'll still pay it if I have to.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

You’re going to be even more surprised when you read the 5 links you posted and only two of them show examples of the problems you seem to be concerned about. 

The first link clearly states a technical issue that stopped paper tickets too.

The 2nd is from 2022 and USA but yeah highlights your concerns.

The 3rd is essentially an FAQ section.

The 4th is a concern. 

The 5th is a forum of posts made in Feb 23 which seem to mirror your posts about being upset about something they’ve announced and not yet experienced but goes dead shortly after.

Oh FFS!

I said there were a lot of problems with these tickets. The links I gave were merely an illustration. I certainly didn't expect any sad fucker to forensically dissect them.

If you like, when I get home eventually,  I shall post some more links for your homework. 

9 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Tks, I was just trying to confirm on here that everyone had the same message as I was a bit surprised that they hadn't stated that a season ticket had been purchased !

The app could easily list the tickets that you've bought before they are activated.