Adam the Lama to return to Saints? Is this true?

According to Huggy Bear, word on the Street is that Adam Lallana is looking to have a final payday with Saints now back in the Prem.

Either as a player off the bench or Player/Coach, now he has been released from Brighton. He has been doing some coaching with England U21 squad.

Would you have him back?

We did it for Theo.

Me, nah.  Too much bad blood when he left, i don't think the fan base would get behind him. We could spend the money on someone 10 years younger that could put a shift in for us, not sit on the bench for 70 minutes.

My daughter would be chuffed though. He was her favourite player growing up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think I would be in favour of this. I've always thought that there is no substitute for experience and that somebody of his standing in the game would have a lot to pass on to the younger players, I think that players like Charles would pick up a lot from being around him.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Haha 1

I think it's interesting that Brighton wanted him to stay for another year. Clearly they thought he could still do it so surely we (who are not at Brighton's level yet) should take him on a 1 year contract.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't want Lallana or Ings.

I always think that bringing in players to "teach" younger players is a load of guff.

If he is coming in as a pure coach then fine. But seems an absolute waste of a squad number and a players wage.

Ings can also, politely, fuck off. He's done nothing for two seasons for two clubs so no thanks.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 15

1 minute ago, CampionSaint said:

I think it's interesting that Brighton wanted him to stay for another year. Clearly they thought he could still do it so surely we (who are not at Brighton's level yet) should take him on a 1 year contract.

If he could stay for one more year at Brighton but left then that tells you he wants a 2 year deal. That's obviously the reason he left Brighton.

20 minutes ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

Nope. Blokes a total knob. No class when he left us. Talksport have just said we are also lookjng to bring Ings back......

Ah, so we don't want to sign good footballers, just human beings with perceived class?

Guess we won't be in the PL for very long then...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

In my considered and eloquent opinion. 

That self entitled little rat bastard can fuck off. 

It was ten years ago, grow up. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Appy said:

It was ten years ago, grow up. 

What do you feel he can offer? My point may have been crudely made, but as a player he is past it, and as coach he would just use us as a stepping stone, so far from the inspiring role model our younger players need. I see no benefit to bringing him back. 

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 2

Just now, Colinjb said:

What do you feel he can offer? 

Experience, good squad option, used to a similar style of play at Brighton under very good managers in Potter and De Zerbi, we’re hardly bringing him in to be a key starter,  someone who can keep possession in the last 15-20 minutes of games and we won’t be bringing him in on a huge deal. 

• Like 2

On a football front these two have nothing left to offer. They’ve done nothing of note for the last two years and this is the reason why we’re finishing bottom next year. 
Thought the owners had learnt something in the last two years. 
Clearly not if we’re signing these two has beens. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Ah, so we don't want to sign good footballers,

Since when does Adam Lallana have the monopoly on "good footballers".

There are plenty of footballers on earth, one who has started less than 15 league matches in each of the last two seasons ain't that "good". And he is 36.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Wouldn't want Lallana or Ings.

I always think that bringing in players to "teach" younger players is a load of guff.

If he is coming in as a pure coach then fine. Bur seems an absolute waste of a squad number and a players wage.

Ings can also, politely, fuck off. He's done nothing for two seasons for two clubs so no thanks.

Lallana is OK with me if it’s a one-year playing-coaching deal and coaching beyond that, as he has a growing reputation as a coach already involved with the England u21s and has at least some of his qualifications I think.

Two years playing would be too much at 36 I agree. 

Ings is on £125k p/w at West Ham, let them stay saddled with that. I’d rather remember how great he was for us under Ralph. The stories on the Hammers websites have more than a whiff of West Ham seeing a solution to free up their wage bill. Let’s hope that’s all it is.

Wrong way to go, I think. Both Lallana and Ings have wages that would set us back for very little on-field reward.

Also, the two would probably profess their Saintly love, which would make me feel a bit sick given their clear propensity to consider football to be a line of work, a career to garner capital and fame, and for the 'connection' to their roots to matter little. 

Be clear, I'm not saying footballers should love one club and stay at that club for life. I'm merely saying I would hate for them to feel the need to pretend they hold such 'loyalties' as important.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Appy said:

Experience, good squad option, used to a similar style of play at Brighton under very good managers in Potter and De Zerbi, we’re hardly bringing him in to be a key starter,  someone who can keep possession in the last 15-20 minutes of games and we won’t be bringing him in on a huge deal. 

How do you know what deal we're offering him? 

Edited by Midfield_General

New Olly Lancashire. Player coach in the u21s, possible emergency player for 1st XI. His kid is in the Academy. As long as he doesn't take a squad place from someone else think it's a win win for Saints. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Wrong way to go, I think. Both Lallana and Ings have wages that would set us back for very little on-field reward.

Also, the two would probably profess their Saintly love, which would make me feel a bit sick given their clear propensity to consider football to be a line of work, a career to garner capital and fame, and for the 'connection' to their roots to matter little. 

Be clear, I'm not saying footballers should love one club and stay at that club for life. I'm merely saying I would hate for them to feel the need to pretend they hold such 'loyalties' as important.

Lallana left to win the Premier League and the Champions League. 

Ings left for money. 

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

Lallana left to win the Premier League and the Champions League. 

Ings left for money. 

Lallana didn't get a wage increase? Poor chap.

• Haha 1

Just now, sfc4prem said:

Lallana didn't get a wage increase? Poor chap.

Of course he did, but the prestige of leaving to join Liverpool sure beats whatever Ings ended up with, a bit part at Villa and same again at West Ham. 

He was obviously a bit of a tit when left, but we’ve had similar doubts in 2-3 players since Martin arrived and it’s worked out very well, hopefully this is another. 

Posted (edited)

He acted the prick when he left and now he's just looking for a final easy payday close to his house so he can spend more time with his kids. He basically said as much when he said why he was leaving Brighton: 

"I feel like I've played quite a lot of football this season, maybe a little too much."

"I've been speaking to my family throughout the year and the biggest influence on my decision was that my kids needed me."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c03ddzkgll3o 

Cool, a footballer who wants to play less. Really sounds like he wants to go the extra mile and give everything for the cause.

Is Winston Bogarde available? He's played for some really super duper big clubs too and would bring some much needed experience to our group of callow youths.  

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, Appy said:

This. It’s a bit of a strange one but if Brighton were offering him a new deal he must still be half decent and he is the sort of player who would suit the possession game. 

Hard to know what to make of this, until we know the details of the deal.

But yeah if he’s coming in as a proper first team signing and taking up a squad place, then it’s a no from me. 

• Like 1

Personally I'm not a fan of bringing back players that used to play for the club, even if both Lallana and Ings did very well for us at the time. I can understand Ings more than Lallana in a way but right now neither fill me with confidence that the club knows what direction they want our transfer dealings to go in. If we were still in the Championship I would have taken both happily. In the Prem? A 36 year old with an injury history and a nearly 32 year old with an even worse injury history? Hmm.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

He acted the prick when he left and now he's just looking for a final easy payday close to his house so he can spend more time with his kids. He basically said as much when he said why he was leaving Brighton: 

"I feel like I've played quite a lot of football this season, maybe a little too much."

"I've been speaking to my family throughout the year and the biggest influence on my decision was that my kids needed me."

Cool, a footballer who wants to play less. Really sounds like he wants to go the extra mile and give everything for the cause.

Is Winston Bogarde available? He's played for some really super duper big clubs too and would bring some much needed experience to our group of callow youths.  

Just cutting the quotes to suit your narrative is sublime btw 😂

20 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Why on earth do we want to sign a player that thinks starting 14 games is too much football?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

New Olly Lancashire. Player coach in the u21s, possible emergency player for 1st XI. His kid is in the Academy. As long as he doesn't take a squad place from someone else think it's a win win for Saints. 

I'm not completely against the idea, although not sure it's so positive as to describe it as a "win win", and it would have made a bit more sense if we hadn't been promoted.  The U21 role seems a reasonable option, although no idea of his coaching or mentoring ability. 

• Like 2

No idea what influence he'd have in the squad and first team dressing room but if  Smallbone starts taking to the pitch wearing an Alice band I'll start to worry.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Your wife needed you 12 years ago Adam. Thats why one of those kids ain't yours ! 

Ings yes, Lallana no. Unfortunately I think Lallana is done deal and Ings is just a good story for Wet Spam and won't happen. 

Edited by Yorkshire Saint
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

https://x.com/SaintsSocialite/status/1795382597389828159?s=19

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-liverpool-jurgen-klopp-seagulls-6112018

Both the above show why he can be important.

Player who has learned from excellent PL managers (Poch, Rodgers, Klopp, Potter, De Zerbi), could be a handy squad option especially from the bench and is vastly experienced at PL level - which isn the case for many of our squad and/or staff. Imagine he could be very useful for RM in a variety of ways, especially as most of the coaching staff will have had little/no recent experience of the PL, let alone what it takes to be successful in it.

Wants to be a coach and has already worked with Eng U21s this season as well. Will be cheap, eager you would imagine to turn the tide of opinion and also likely seeking a longer term coaching gig.

I really don't see much risk. Its clear from all the celebrations on and since Sunday how much you need leaders and senior players in the squad, they set the tone for everyone else and often the impact is hard to measure unless you are in the environment and see it everyday.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

Certainly would not want him as a player as he is too old. Would Russell Martin want him as a coach ? does he know him ? I think he could fit in as a relief coach driver as 14 games is too much for him.

4 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Yep, he can come in and tell all our quality youngsters that when an opportunity to move comes along you take it because you don't know when another one will come. Oh and also you should definitely get your agent to contact Liverpool, special club them.

• Like 3

It wouldn't be SaintsWeb without wild assumptions of plans, prospects or how someone will fit into the plans. 

Lets looks at potential positives.

We have the potential to get, for no transfer outlay, someone who knows the club, and has experienced the transition was from Championship to Premier League as a player.

He's also been involved in coaching with Brighton for the last two years, so you're bringing RECENT Premier League coaching experience, into the setup.

Is he likely to be a Premier League starter? probably not.

would his presence and experience benefit the team? probably.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, he can come in and tell all our quality youngsters that when an opportunity to move comes along you take it because you don't know when another one will come. Oh and also you should definitely get your agent to contact Liverpool, special club them.

And so what if you’re the captain, who cares? Just ignore that, take a shit on the club that nurtured you from the academy to the England team, disrupt everything and force that shit through to make sure you get your transfer away! 

This is the guy that people think we should bring back to ‘set an example’. 

Prick. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Your wife needed you 12 years ago Adam. Thats why one of those kids ain't yours ! 

Ings yes, Lallana no. Unfortunately I think Lallana is done deal and Ings is just a good story for Wet Spam and won't happen. 

How old are you out of interest? Because making swipes at people’s personal lives and then saying Wet Spam you’re coming across as 14 max.

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Why on earth do we want to sign a player that thinks starting 14 games is too much football?

The full quote of this, which was conveniently cut by the original poster, is different. I suggest people read it before concluding he thinks he played too much fitness wise. He’s quite clearly talking about how injuries in the Brighton squad meant he played more than planned originally. He goes on to stress he has more to give fitness and enjoyment wise. Suspect he’ll be involved in the coaching side here too because that was his hopes last year but ended up ‘playing too much’.

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

The full quote of this, which was conveniently cut by the original poster, is different. I suggest people read it before concluding he thinks he played too much fitness wise. He’s quite clearly talking about how injuries in the Brighton squad meant he played more than planned originally. He goes on to stress he has more to give fitness and enjoyment wise. Suspect he’ll be involved in the coaching side here too because that was his hopes last year but ended up ‘playing too much’.

Ok, fair enough, but why do we want to sign a guy that Brighton planned to start less than 14 games? Are we similarly planning on him playing 20 minutes here and there? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

How old are you out of interest? Because making swipes at people’s personal lives and then saying Wet Spam you’re coming across as 14 max.

I think I have worked out the name Vman posts under now...

• Haha 3