Promotion play-off prize fund.

Saint Marky

Does anyone have an actual figure of what the prize money is for winning the play off final? I’ve heard the 100 million pound game, figures up to 160 million and the richest game in world football. We are obviously getting prem tv money, i would imagine this is included in this figure. How much more are we actually getting over Leicester, who obviously won the championship in comparison, anyone have the figures please?

Posted (edited)

Minimum uplift of £140m revenue across 3 years (based on getting relegated in Year 1) - and if you survive for three years then it can rise past £300m.

https://www.cityam.com/championship-play-off-final-has-the-richest-game-in-football-peaked-in-value/

The actual play-off final prize pot doesn't really give you any more of an advantage over the top two. It just gives you an advantage over the Championship clubs and losing team - promotion is worth £95m more per season than staying in the second tier.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

Slighty off topic - A few years ago I seem to recall that if you got promoted back to the Premier League at the first attempt following relegation, that the remainder of the parachute payment for your second season "stayed behind" in the EFL for distribution. Just wondered if I imagined this or it still happened?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Slighty off topic - A few years ago I seem to recall that if you got promoted back to the Premier League at the first attempt following relegation, that the remainder of the parachute payment for your second season "stayed behind" in the EFL for distribution. Just wondered if I imagined this or it still happened?

It gets redistributed amongst the Premier League member clubs. Which is why PL clubs will/should have been relatively happy on the financial front, with Saints and Leicester returning immediately.

• Like 2