Alex McCarthy

Heisenberg

It seems like a long way back to the end of last season, and although we should credit AM for his late contribution to the promotion run-in..

With Bazunu out for an undetermined period,  my key question was ... then AND now ....where / who is our new Premier-grade keeper?

Unfortunately AM reverted to type.. and despite all the excitement surrounding more than a dozen new signings .. still no new keeper.

Edited by david in sweden

I will also say that I saw Bazunu cock up at the back plenty of times last season as well, it just hardly cost us because we were playing against Championship strikers. Lo and behold first Prem game trying to play out from the back in such a way and we get punished. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dellboysaint said:

McCarthy will be a bag of nerves for the Forest game which unsettles the defence. He has to be replaced as no one has confidence in his passing. Opposition players will press harder.

If he's in goal there will be about 30,000 people there who will also be a bag of nerves !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I will also say that I saw Bazunu cock up at the back plenty of times last season as well, it just hardly cost us because we were playing against Championship strikers. Lo and behold first Prem game trying to play out from the back in such a way and we get punished. 

Good effort getting yet another dig in at Bazunu after a McCarthy howler. We play out from the back, it’s our style and we need a goalkeeper who’s comfortable playing the ball in order to do that. You can’t play the way we do with a goalkeeper who just boots it up the pitch under pressure, it just doesn’t work. Yesterday happened because McCarthy isn’t good enough and never has been apart from six months under MoPe and Hughes. We didn’t get promoted ‘thanks to him’, he’s not making mistakes because of ‘the way we play’, he’s just a poor keeper.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Good effort getting yet another dig in at Bazunu after a McCarthy howler. We play out from the back, it’s our style and we need a goalkeeper who’s comfortable playing the ball in order to do that. You can’t play the way we do with a goalkeeper who just boots it up the pitch under pressure, it just doesn’t work. Yesterday happened because McCarthy isn’t good enough and never has been apart from six months under MoPe and Hughes. We didn’t get promoted ‘thanks to him’, he’s not making mistakes because of ‘the way we play’, he’s just a poor keeper.

We’ve all known for several seasons that even under no pressure he has difficulty passing to his own teammates.

• Like 2

Easy to blame Macca, but considering ive seen several goals conceded like this since Russell Martn turned up i can blame him as well.

By now Martin should have sorted this out and had goalkeepers putting their foot through the ball, if opposition are all around him.

• Like 2

Just now, SaintsLoyal said:

Easy to blame Macca, but considering ive seen several goals conceded like this since Russell Martn turned up i can blame him as well.

By now Martin should have sorted this out and had goalkeepers putting their foot through the ball, if opposition are all around him.

Any keeper should be able to not pass to a Newcastle player in that situation.

Any keeper.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Any keeper should be able to not pass to a Newcastle player in that situation.

Any keeper.

Indeed they should. It’s a mental thing. The keeper sees the opposition players in front of him and subconsciously thinks “What I mustn’t  to do here is pass it to one of them’ and that’s exactly what happens. 

In skid pan driver training they teach that you mustn’t look at the obstacles that you might hit because then you’ll hit them. You must focus on the safe route out of the situation.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

He’s only continuing the same mistakes he’s made in quite a few preseason games.

Fucking madness to be honest.  We adapted our game to accommodate McCarthy at the end of last season.  He hasn’t become David fucking Beckham over a couple of months.

• Like 4

I have to admit to feeling sorry for McCarthy.
He did a lot to get us promoted last season and is a reasonable keeper.
Unfortunately he does not have the foot skills to play RussBall and that was evident on Saturday as well as most, if not all, of pre season games.
So that, sadly, is down to the Manager and indeed those holding the purse strings.
What supporters must not do and there is form here in past years, is to offer up a negative vibe is McCarthy is selected for next Saturdays game.
Confidence in any player is crucial and to adversely affect this by jibes and comments during the game is completely the wrong thing to do.
On a separate matter, in all the time I have been a Saints fan, only one GK has come through the ranks to play more than a few games for the Saints and that was Bob Charles in the 1960's who must have been the inspiration for Tubby Morton, the original net minder at Melchester Rovers!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Calm down princess, my criticism was aimed at the style of play. When the ball is in our own box we should only be looking to pass out of it. My point could actually be taken in defence of Bazunu, as it's essentially saying ANY keeper would be prone to mistakes playing that way. 

• Like 2

If we played Adam Armstrong as a 9 & then hoofed the ball up to him in the air every game, would people be blaming him for not winning headers or blaming the tactics. AM should be told to hoof the ball every single time he gets it, or be replaced, it’s as simple as that. It’s fucking madness bordering on arrogance to play out from the back with him in nets. This nonsense needs to stop, 

The other bit of nonsense that needs to stop is fans staying “he was third choice” last season. He clearly wasn’t, otherwise he wouldn’t have started when Baz got injured. Yes, he wasn’t on the bench, but that could be for a variety of reasons, from appearance money, to contract extensions or wanting to give the other guy a taste of the first team week in week out. But when Baz got injured the number 2 started…

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

We know his limitations, so does Martin but stubbornly ignores them. McCarthy knows too and is on edge because of it. It won't work and makes no sense. Why spend millions trying to build a Premier team then expose the incompetence of McCarthy's ball control. 

Newcastle had Pope yesterday who is also uncomfortable playing out, difference he doesn't, just kicks it long mostly out wide. as a consequence it eliminates the danger and puts the ball into the attacking third goalside of his team. If McCarthy has to play copying Pope would eliminate the problem. We'd then need the Midfield and forwards to win it or press and win it. I know which option I prefer.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

And Bazunu is an appalling shot stopper, which makes him an even worse keeper. Being ok playing out from the back doesn't remotely compensate for being crap at the primary role of a keeper.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

And Bazunu is an appalling shot stopper, which makes him an even worse keeper. Being ok playing out from the back doesn't remotely compensate for being crap at the primary role of a keeper.

But Bazunu wasn’t available yesterday and won’t be for a long time so why bring his name up? What am I missing?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But Bazunu wasn’t available yesterday and won’t be for a long time so why bring his name up? What am I missing?

I think it’s the rumour that the club are reluctant to make a longer term signing in the GK space as they believe Gavin will be the next Gordon Banks given more time (Tongue in cheek). People then put 2+2 when McCarthy was retained rightly or wrongly,

Martin bit back somewhat at supporter questions at last summer’s forum about whether Bazanu would ever be good enough (which he probably regrets now with hindsight after some of the sub-standard performances Gavin gave a lower level, finishing 24th in every keeper data table going). But to be fair, he could hardly push him under the bus either?

Steele from Brighton is probably a compromise and Lallana will know him well. Gavin needs a loan once fit to League 1 to get his confidence back as Saints put him in the deep end 22/23 and it didn’t do him any favours which someone with more high level football awareness than Shields (also see current Chelsea farce) or Rasmus wouldn’t have done. Another Champ spell littered with bloopers will finish him.

Bart is a good model for Gavin - rebuilt his confidence at places like Notts County and ended up a Champ regular later in his career at Ipswich and Millwall. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

How many goals did that poor attempt at a save against Watford cost us?

McCarthy's a decent championship-level keeper, ideally suited to a team who play direct. He's good one-on-one, he's agile, commands the box pretty well, comes for crosses etc.
That said, he's too easily beaten at the near post, and about as good with his feet as I am. If the club don't address the GK situation playing this style of football in this league, it WILL cost us. I hope they've got it under control, they seem to be doing well with other positions at the moment.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, saintant said:

Showed today we have some huge shortcomings other than goalkeeper which is a real worry.

Exactly. I've been longing for a goalkeeper but after today I realise there are bigger problems up front, and there always will be while we move forward at snails pace 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Exactly. I've been longing for a goalkeeper but after today I realise there are bigger problems up front, and there always will be while we move forward at snails pace 

This is the concern. We lack quality in both positions but the issues don't stop there. A lot of our problems at both ends are self inflicted.

• Like 1

In fact we have some decent PL level players McCathy (if not playing Rusball), Sulemana, Tall Paul, Alcaraz. But Martin doesn’t use them because they don’t fit in his system. 

But he will continue his system at all costs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HKsaint said:

In fact we have some decent PL level players McCathy (if not playing Rusball), Sulemana, Tall Paul, Alcaraz. But Martin doesn’t use them because they don’t fit in his system. 

PL level players 😂

6 hours ago, HKsaint said:

Sulemana? What do Saints fans actually see in him? Absolutely shocking player. 

The same Sulemana who did sweet fuck all for us last time we were in this league, and despite dropping down a division, did even more sweet fuck all there as well?

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 2

Just now, SaintNewForest said:

Sulemana? What do Saints fans actually see in him? Absolutely shocking player. 

The same Sulemana who did sweet fuck all for us last time we were in this league, and despite dropping down a division, did even more sweet fuck all there as well?

I guess they remember his last Premier League game, when he looked so promising playing at centre forward. Of course, whether he'll ever play like that again remains to be seen but in light of the fact we currently don't have a centre forward, he might just be worth a try. The other alternative would be to play Tyler Dibling there and he does appear to be a far more consistent player.

Southampton 4-4 Liverpool | Premier League highlights | Football News | Sky Sports

On 18/08/2024 at 12:53, spyinthesky said:

I
On a separate matter, in all the time I have been a Saints fan, only one GK has come through the ranks to play more than a few games

for the Saints and  that was Bob Charles in the 1960's ....who must have been the inspiration for Tubby Morton, the original net minder

at Melchester Rovers!!

I agree in principle that goalies who come through the Academy have been very few, (in part because young keepers take much longer to mature..)

BUT ...if you can remember back to Bob Charles, then you may have overlooked Gerry Gurr who played youth football for Saints in the mid 60's ,

and then  was a fairly reliable keeper (between 1967-70 ) . He played almost 50 League games (between occasional injury absences).. but did

feature in the legendary match  at Old Trafford (1970) when Saints beat Man Utd. 4-1 .    (All 4 goals goals coming from Ron Davies).  

There are presently a handful of former Saints " youth keepers " playing at various levels in the Football League... (mostly L1 / L2 ). 

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1

McCarthy’s not alone in making cock ups. None of the haters have mentioned it but did anybody see England’s No 1’s howler from yesterday? Wonder if Everton fans are crucifying him?

If ever Top Trumps brought out a ‘Goalie Balls Ups’ set that would have to be right up there. Made AM’s one from the other week look, well, less….

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

I guess they remember his last Premier League game, when he looked so promising playing at centre forward. Of course, whether he'll ever play like that again remains to be seen but in light of the fact we currently don't have a centre forward, he might just be worth a try. The other alternative would be to play Tyler Dibling there and he does appear to be a far more consistent player.

Southampton 4-4 Liverpool | Premier League highlights | Football News | Sky Sports

If that game meant anything to Liverpool we would have been lucky to score one let alone four.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Immaterial.

Neither is good enough.

it’s not ‘immaterial’ if one is better than the other 

mccarthy is a decent  keeper and in the time he’s been back as no 1 has on the whole done a decent job.