Alex McCarthy

Heisenberg

Posted (edited)

Whether we went up or stayed down we needed to invest in a new number one and then let Bazunu fight his way back in. Either promotion or fighting relegation, both too important to spend half the season with a stop gap and then see if Bazunu has magically improved after being injured for 8 months or more. 

Ramsdale is available, I'd take him on loan with option to buy.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 7

If that was his last game for us, then all I can say is thanks.

He kept us in the PL under Hughes, and contributed big moments to help us back up today. Some shaky moments during the Ralph years, but his two key contributions have been pretty epic. I fully expect him to leave, but he'll leave with my best wishes.

• Like 28

1 goal conceded in the three play-off games and that was right in the last minute when the game was won anyway.

McCarthy and the whole defence deserve a whole lot of credit, they've been brilliant in these three huge matches when it's really mattered.

• Like 20

If Baz hadn't gotten injured at the right time, we wouldn't have gained promotion, never seen a keeper let in as many soft goals as Baz.

I still don't think McCarthy is good enough for the Premier League. Ramsdale would be a welcome addition.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Galway saint said:

good game again today 

he’s looked solid and steady 

without him playing these last three ganes we could well be in a very different place 

I’d say “would” have been in a different place. 

• Like 1

Nice for him to finish with us on a high, assuming he is going.  I am a long way from his biggest fan, but he had some great spells for us (alongside some terrible ones).  His command of the area was excellent yesterday 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Alex McCarthy

If he is leaving, which to be blunt I hope he is, then yesterday was a decent and fitting end to his Saints career. There’s no doubt he’s come in and played well at a critical time of the season, but some of the nonsense being said is bordering on hysteria. Saying that we’d never have been promoted without Bazunu’s injury and other such sentiments are just silly. When he got his injury we were still talking about an outside chance of the top two. He also played two games against West Brom and one against Leeds, winning all three by an aggregate score of 7-2.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If he is leaving, which to be blunt I hope he is, then yesterday was a decent and fitting end to his Saints career. There’s no doubt he’s come in and played well at a critical time of the season, but some of the nonsense being said is bordering on hysteria. Saying that we’d never have been promoted without Bazunu’s injury and other such sentiments are just silly. When he got his injury we were still talking about an outside chance of the top two. He also played two games against West Brom and one against Leeds, winning all three by an aggregate score of 7-2.

Your continued defence of Baz is admirable, but you're in the minority with it. 

I have never seen Baz make the kind of save that Alex made late on from James yesterday. Ever. It's pretty much nailed on that would have been a goal if Baz was playing, and the same few people on here would be making the same excuses for him - like he saw it late, or the finish was too good. 

Quite simply, we couldn't play the tactical game we played yesterday without a competent keeper. Not having confidence in the keeper would have put the whole defence on edge, and there's just no way in hell we would have kept a clean sheet. 

Edit: BTW - using your mod powers to change the thread title because you disagree with it is poor form.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 9

Have to say it's testament to his professionalism that he's kept himself sharp throughout a season where he hasn't played and then come in and performed so well at the end of it.

He played a massive part in keeping us up under Hughes before slowly losing a bit of form and being in and out of the team.

Sometimes you just need a bit of experience to guide a team to their goal and he gave that to us over the last month or so.

Like others I expect he will leave and, if so, this is the perfect way to do it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Your continued defence of Baz is admirable, but you're in the minority with it. 

I have never seen Baz make the kind of save that Alex made late on from James yesterday. Ever. It's pretty much nailed on that would have been a goal if Baz was playing, and the same few people on here would be making the same excuses for him - like he saw it late, or the finish was too good. 

Quite simply, we couldn't play the tactical game we played yesterday without a competent keeper. Not having confidence in the keeper would have put the whole defence on edge, and there's just no way in hell we would have kept a clean sheet. 

Edit: BTW - using your mod powers to change the thread title because you disagree with it is poor form.

My defence is nothing but a factual representation of what we’ve done with him in the team. Baz played every minute of the longest unbeaten run we’ve been on since Vicky was on the throne, we were in the hunt for automatic promotion and we did get those results against West Brom and Leeds. You don’t do all of that with some hopeless liability in goal.

Even if he is a hopeless liability, clearly his magical, super lucky leprechaun powers have brought us good results and it’s better to be lucky than good.

P.S. The thread title wasn’t changed as such, I just merged this with the existing McC topic.

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

My defence is nothing but a factual representation of what we’ve done with him in the team. Baz played every minute of the longest unbeaten run we’ve been on since Vicky was on the throne, we were in the hunt for automatic promotion and we did get those results against West Brom and Leeds. You don’t do all of that with some hopeless liability in goal.

Even if he is a hopeless liability, clearly his magical, super lucky leprechaun powers have brought us good results and it’s better to be lucky than good.

P.S. The thread title wasn’t changed as such, I just merged this with the existing McC topic.

And yet we did!  He is shite mate.  Accept it.

We were in that position in spite of him playing.  Not because of him. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lymington Saint said:

McC commanded his box brilliantly yesterday. Couple of his punches went miles. Baz just isnt big enough to be a top keeper

Bazunu is taller than Jordan Pickford and Hugo Lloris. Both of whom are/have been brilliant keepers!

Height helps but certainly is not the be all and end all. Talent most definitely comes first  Sadly Baz isn’t blessed with as much as he needs.

McCarthy has been fantastic during the play offs, a major reason we came through them. He was everything you want from a keeper, and even his kicking was up to standard. If this doesn’t prove the value of a decent keeper, then nothing will. Personally, I think Baz’s injury was a blessing in disguise and deep down I’m sure Lego knows it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lymington Saint said:

McC commanded his box brilliantly yesterday. Couple of his punches went miles. Baz just isnt big enough to be a top keeper

There's no way Baz would have got anywhere near those punches out yesterday. Would have got crowded out by the players around him. Either that or would have stayed rooted to his line. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

To me Alex is clearly the better all round goalkeeper. We looked a lot more settled with his calmness (Baz's scowl isn't the same), physical presence and most importantly better ability to stop a shot.

Low and to the left. Low and to the left. Like the football equivalent of watching the zapruder film, footage of Baz makes it clear that he's not the best shot stopper.

And this was Alex coming straight back into crunch games, having been frozen out.

However, Baz deserves credit for those crunch games too. Martin knows that Alex's distribution isn't as good. So, we changed that.

We still get a side who are very, very comfortable under pressure, and have got their passing positions down really well through practice and matches. And we are a bit more direct, also required with Stephens in the side, and no Stu. We don't put Alex under the same pressure.

Baz was a key part of getting us so good at that short, crisp, passing. The outfield players have given Baz pretty much everything to deal with, and he's been unphased by it all (well, one or two even he's had a go at his defence). Baz's distribution accuracy and weight has really helped us develop our possession game. Without him there, the side still know the positions to take and angles to make.

So, McCarthy has made a difference to the side since he came in. But that's not to minimise all the good things Baz has done, to make Alex's job a easier.

Alex passed Russ on the way to get interviewed yesterday and there was a chat between them. I think Russ was giving his thanks to Alex's professionalism, coming in and being so important under not the best circumstances.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
added an important "not"
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

To me Alex is clearly the better all round goalkeeper. We looked a lot more settled with his calmness (Baz's scowl isn't the same), physical presence and most importantly better ability to stop a shot.

Low and to the left. Low and to the left. Like the football equivalent of watching the zapruder film, footage of Baz makes it clear that he's the best shot stopper.

And this was Alex coming straight back into crunch games, having been frozen out.

However, Baz deserves credit for those crunch games too. Martin knows that Alex's distribution isn't as good. So, we changed that.

We still get a side who are very, very comfortable under pressure, and have got their passing positions down really well through practice and matches. And we are a bit more direct, also required with Stephens in the side, and no Stu. We don't put Alex under the same pressure.

Baz was a key part of getting us so good at that short, crisp, passing. The outfield players have given Baz pretty much everything to deal with, and he's been unphased by it all (well, one or two even he's had a go at his defence). Baz's distribution accuracy and weight has really helped us develop our possession game. Without him there, the side still know the positions to take and angles to make.

So, McCarthy has made a difference to the side since he came in. But that's not to minimise all the good things Baz has done, to make Alex's job a easier.

Alex passed Russ on the way to get interviewed yesterday and there was a chat between them. I think Russ was giving his thanks to Alex's professionalism, coming in and being so important under not the best circumstances.

Well said. This has been a season where everybody (almost) has learnt and improved. 

As have I.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

but some of the nonsense being said is bordering on hysteria. 

Most of which seems to be coming from you…

Like it or not atm AM is the sort of keeper that GB can only aspire to be. Commanding on crosses, good shot stopper, good distribution in the slightly altered style we’re now playing at the back. 

Whether or not GB will make it as a top class keeper is definitely open to debate. Still young, I get that, but he definitely has glaring weaknesses which I feel sure will cost us dearly when up against the sort of players he would face if selected to play in the PL.

• Like 3

Did I read or hear that RM said he was an idiot for not picking AMc sooner, or something like that? If so, I'm sure it was mainly a self deprecating comment that would also big up AMc, rather than one to criticise GB. But I think this enforced break will mean RM has (and takes) the opportunity to look for an upgrade. 

27 minutes ago, saintstowin said:

Did I read or hear that RM said he was an idiot for not picking AMc sooner, or something like that? If so, I'm sure it was mainly a self deprecating comment that would also big up AMc, rather than one to criticise GB. But I think this enforced break will mean RM has (and takes) the opportunity to look for an upgrade. 

Hard to tell in text when you're not hearing how they say it. The quote was in the Guardian report.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/26/southampton-promoted-to-premier-league-by-beating-leeds-in-playoff-final

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Hard to tell in text when you're not hearing how they say it. The quote was in the Guardian report.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/26/southampton-promoted-to-premier-league-by-beating-leeds-in-playoff-final

Not enough credit given to Macca since his unexpected return. I, for one, didn't welcome him but he did more than well in these vital matches. he played with more command of his area than he ever had before and we only conceded one goal in the the three play off matches. He amazed me, what a relief after being scared every time the thing came anywhere near GB

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Cat said:

Hopefully he's realised the benefits of having an actual goalkeeper in goal rather than a footballer that can play in goal.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Dellyears said:

Not enough credit given to Macca since his unexpected return. I, for one, didn't welcome him but he did more than well in these vital matches. he played with more command of his area than he ever had before and we only conceded one goal in the the three play off matches. He amazed me, what a relief after being scared every time the thing came anywhere near GB

Conversely I'd say that he has been given a lot of credit for his performances, especially because he's not played for so long.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Hopefully he's realised the benefits of having an actual goalkeeper in goal rather than a footballer that can play in goal.

This^^^^^. Nail,head.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

In the playoffs instead of automatic?

I’d say the likelihood of having a few more points on the board by virtue of having a more competent keeper in the team throughout the course of the season is high.  Regardless, I’m also confident we wouldn’t have won the play-offs with Bazunu in goal either.  Luckily we’ll never need to know if I’m right or wrong.  All that matters is we are up and he had already proved he is not equipped for the PL.

• Like 1

Time for us both to part ways. PLayed a limited, but huge part this season for us (imo as many others have said, without him we'd not have been in the final, let alone win it), but he's not good enough to be our no1 next season. 

Thanks for the contribution and move on whilst both are on a high. 

3 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

I’d say the likelihood of having a few more points on the board by virtue of having a more competent keeper in the team throughout the course of the season is high.  Regardless, I’m also confident we wouldn’t have won the play-offs with Bazunu in goal either.  Luckily we’ll never need to know if I’m right or wrong.  All that matters is we are up and he had already proved he is not equipped for the PL.

I see it as more that we changed our style of play without him. Far less of the obsession with keeping the keeper involved at all costs. This pushes the centre of gravity of the defence upfield slightly and maintains the back four or five as a defensive line rather than an amorphous mob centred on the goalkeeper.

• Like 2

Just now, Dman said:

Time for us both to part ways. PLayed a limited, but huge part this season for us (imo as many others have said, without him we'd not have been in the final, let alone win it), but he's not good enough to be our no1 next season. 

Thanks for the contribution and move on whilst both are on a high. 

Agreed. And the added exposure should help him find a new club.

It is interesting that Trafford, the Burnley 'Keeper. is supposedly being considered by a couple of the top Prem teams, including Liverpool, for a fee of £20m.
I dont see him being much different to Baz.
'Keepers do improve with age and both Trafford & Baz are very young and will improve.
Personally I like taller 'keepers but modern coaches seem to prefer those who are good with their feet.

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SfcPhil said:

I'm okay with it as long as we sign a number 1. If he's our number 1, we're basically down already.

We won't be signing a number 1. McCarthy is, until the mighty Baz is BACK

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

• CSA96 changed the title to Alex McCarthy signs new deal until 2026

Sensible move in the current financial climate. The club sees Bazunu (note I say the club see) as number one and McCarthy will fill that slot until he returns. He is experienced and isn't the worst choice. 

I suspect funds are tight and this is the sort of solution to a problem that costs the least. Like it or loathe it we are bound to see a number of these decisions.

• Like 3

Good grief, if we’re expecting him to be first choice for the lion’s share of this season we are in trouble. I’m hoping he’s on much reduced wages as a back up and we’re bringing someone else in as first choice but that’s probably optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Good grief, if we’re expecting him to be first choice for the lion’s share of this season we are in trouble. I’m hoping he’s on much reduced wages as a back up and we’re bringing someone else in as first choice but that’s probably optimistic.

Yeah, I am kind of hoping someone is coming on loan and McCarthy is getting an extra, second year in return for not being the #1

• Like 1

Hup. Would have prefered e new Keeper, but hopefully he has matured the last seasons and is a better keeper then he was a few years ago. 

At least he doesn't cost us alot to buy.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 00:22, HarvSFC said:

Now, knowing our luck with McCarthy, he'll have a good end to the season and we'll offer him a new contract and a wage increase.

Sorry guys, I jinxed it. Second time he's played well with the end of his contract nearing and we've given him a brand new deal. All the more absurd considering he wasn't good enough to be on our bench last season until the final few games. Should have gone out on a high, but if he plays like he did the last time we were up here he'll receive pelters and the club will deserve a lot of criticism if we're going into the season with him as our first choice until Bazunu, another poor goalkeeper for the level recovers.

• Like 1