Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

57 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

First touch a bit wayward, seems to get caught in two minds what to do sometimes.

Not surprised with that as all new players,squad and formation. 
I thought he looked ok and couple of times drove forward well created space.

We do need and it’s obvious to all it’s a forward and keeper required to take this team forward.

We over played it out at times hence Lis getting in trouble with no focal point to hit.

A sure the club know this and looking .

Edited by Give it to Ron

1 hour ago, kjurwi said:

Would be a bit funny to start a game with the central defense Wood n Boot

We might see a game this season where Edwards and Wood would create the equaliser.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, manji said:

A study was made recently in the industry and the average attention span of most viewers is 30 seconds. The golden age of music video for example is dead. Companies don’t see it as effective to spend millions on a video when a “ short “ is more effective. Go on YouTube and see the prevalence of “ shorts “ . Hence the rise of Tik Tok. 

Maybe, but in an industry/sport where people sit down to watch 2 hours with only a 15min interruption, that approach is nonsense imo. I checked on the app and its the same crap there, 30second soundbites. If we take the time to interview the manager, or clips of the players training, show the whole damn thing or stitch it together in one place. There is a reason why the most popular sports journalists are the ones that can provide depth and detailed breakdowns etc., and why clock bait articles from sources like football insider or sports mole get given a wider birth. Club should get this together as there is a lot of interest in the pre season period and their current content provision is pretty poor.

What are they going to do with the press conferences this year? Is every single question going to be split out into its own short video, and we'll have 4 adam blackmore videos to find and watch through? or even worse, if the question takes 2minutes to answer are we going to have to watch multiple videos 😄🙄

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Maybe, but in an industry/sport where people sit down to watch 2 hours with only a 15min interruption, that approach is nonsense imo. I checked on the app and its the same crap there, 30second soundbites. If we take the time to interview the manager, or clips of the players training, show the whole damn thing or stitch it together in one place. There is a reason why the most popular sports journalists are the ones that can provide depth and detailed breakdowns etc., and why clock bait articles from sources like football insider or sports mole get given a wider birth. Club should get this together as there is a lot of interest in the pre season period and their current content provision is pretty poor.

What are they going to do with the press conferences this year? Is every single question going to be split out into its own short video, and we'll have 4 adam blackmore videos to find and watch through? or even worse, if the question takes 2minutes to answer are we going to have to watch multiple videos 😄🙄

The manager interview from yesterday is now on youtube. It seems they want to make it an exclusive for the first day on the app which is fair enough really. 

Feels like Bordeaux gave us a bit of a game, need that in pre-season - only our second game.

I don't pay much attention to the scores or results this early on, I may start giving it more of a notice when we play Lazio/Getafe, but these early ones are just to build fitness, so I'd avoid reading anything into them like ''we still concede loads of goals'' ''x isn't good enough'' etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I agree. Slaves of the algorithm. 90-minute football games will die with our generation if we continue to abide 😄😉

Anyway, since I have a healty attention span I search out the longer version of the clips. Make sure you are on the "all" feed on the app. Do not wander on to the "men's team" feed, as it mostly has the short ones. There you will allways find both the long and the short version.

It's still very early in pre season so all about the fitness levels atm. From what I saw, Dibling, Amo-Ameyaw, Alcaraz and Sugawara all class 😊 Amo-Ameyaw's goal was brilliant 😊

Edited by davefizzy14

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Surprised not to see Bednarek.

7 hours ago, CampionSaint said:

Why ?  He's only just started his pre-season after returning from the euros.

We've seen other players from the Euros playing friendlies for other clubs but fair enough. I was just thrown off by the marketing for the match this morning...

bednarek.jpg

On a side note…a sad one as someone who had been to watch Bordeaux often as I spent much time visiting that area,amongst others in France…

Former Ligue 1 Champions Bordeaux have shockingly announced that they are revoking their status as a professional club amidst financial struggles. All players contracts have been terminated. Training ground now closed. 
What a fall from grace. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Sad 4

13 minutes ago, saint lard said:

On a side note…a sad one as someone who had been to watch Bordeaux often as I spent much time visiting that area,amongst others in France…

Former Ligue 1 Champions Bordeaux have shockingly announced that they are revoking their status as a professional club amidst financial struggles. All players contracts have been terminated. Training ground now closed. 
What a fall from grace. 

I’m off down to Bordeaux on Saturday, whilst staying with my brother this week,  to watch Spain v Dominican Republic in Olympic Football, be interesting to see what the mood is down there. Such a shame, the ground is superb

• Like 2

11 hours ago, saint lard said:

What a fall from grace. 

I remember not long time ago, managers of different teams were sacked shortly after defeats to us in the premier league. But I didn't know that we could cause a team to be dissolved, and their game with us was their last.  Can we pick up one or two of their players who was decent in the friendly (and had exchanged contacts with our players thereafter) for free?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, HKsaint said:

I remember not long time ago, managers of different teams were sacked shortly after defeats to us in the premier league. But I didn't know that we could cause a team to be dissolved, and their game with us was their last.  Can we pick up one or two of their players who was decent in the friendly (and had exchanged contacts with our players thereafter) for free?

I’m not convinced there would be anyone of interest to us. 🤷🏻‍♂️

16 hours ago, saint lard said:

What a fall from grace. 

Weren't we linked with a take over by the bloke that caused all this mess (lopez or something I think he name is). A lucky escape there it seems! 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Weren't we linked with a take over by the bloke that caused all this mess (lopez or something I think he name is). A lucky escape there it seems! 

Yep we were, I don't think he caused it all per-say, but certainly added to it. The financial situation in France (TV Deals) have added to the issues though, really clubs like Bordeaux with their history and facilities shouldn't ever be facing extinction - but this is the world we live in now.

I think it was a lucky escape, as much as the SISU one was back in 2005 or whenever.

Edited by S-Clarke

15 hours ago, HKsaint said:

I remember not long time ago, managers of different teams were sacked shortly after defeats to us in the premier league. But I didn't know that we could cause a team to be dissolved, and their game with us was their last. 

If the cards fall right we have the potential to be able to relegate Everton at the conclusion to their last ever game at Goodison Park. Would be a good way to sign off the season whatever happens to us 😁

• Like 1

Saints v Montpellier - first half: McCarthy, Sugawara, Edwards, Bednarek, Taylor, Smallbone, Downes, Aribo, Dibling, Sulemana, Edozie

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Saints v Montpellier - first half: McCarthy, Sugawara, Edwards, Bednarek, Taylor, Smallbone, Downes, Aribo, Dibling, Kamaldeen, Edozie

Decent championship team right there

• Like 3

Just now, hypochondriac said:

It's a fair point. Not sure that's better than last year. Maybe in defence. 

Fair comment, Would suggest Leicester have gotten weaker too by selling KDH and Ipswich have only signed up championship level players. 

We are all definitely favourites for relegation, We will need a big month.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Adam Armstrong was due to play but won't be involved because he's become unwell

Sounds a smokescreen for an outgoing transfer to me.

Reckon £40m to Chelsea. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Fair comment, Would suggest Leicester have gotten weaker too by selling KDH and Ipswich have only signed up championship level players. 

We are all definitely favourites for relegation, We will need a big month.

It's unfortunate that our best signing-Sugawara- is the one position where we were sorted last year. Signings so far have been solid and canny but not particularly exciting or proven quality. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

KWP must be on his way out. No involvement in any of our pre-season games.

Martin already said probably won't be involved until his future is resolved. Expect he will go if we get an acceptable offer but will be reintegrated if no one comes in. Will probably end up at West ham. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Anyone else struggling to pay the £5 to watch the game? It keeps charging me £0...and not then giving me a pass

Didn't someone say there's a free live stream from montpellier? 

3 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Anyone else struggling to pay the £5 to watch the game? It keeps charging me £0...and not then giving me a pass

The £0.00 payment is usually just for in-app authorisation with your banking app, for security reasons. I get that, then once I've pressed to approve, the order goes through and £5 comes out of the bank

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Didn't someone say there's a free live stream from montpellier? 

Montpellier are streaming it for free on Facebook, but they are going to geo-block their stream so that Facebook users who aren't in France cannot see it

VPNs might work but it may also depend based on where Facebook accounts are registered

• Haha 1

Just now, CSA96 said:

Montpellier are streaming it for free on Facebook, but they are going to geo-block their stream so that Facebook users who aren't in France cannot see it

VPNs might work but it may also depend based on where Facebook accounts are registered

Ha ha ha - Brilliant to all those unsuspecting that they'll just watch it there and then realise they can't.

I've paid my £5.. Who wants to listen to French commentary anyway. 🤢

Just now, SaintsFan86 said:

Ha ha ha - Brilliant to all those unsuspecting that they'll just watch it there and then realise they can't.

I've paid my £5.. Who wants to listen to French commentary anyway. 🤢

Ha, yeah. I guess there will be a late rush of people to the Saints stream when they realise they can't actually see the FB stream from Montpellier

I actually don't mind paying £5 for a good quality stream of a game. I've worked in this space before and it's not free to fly a media team out there, buy and maintain good quality camera equipment, cover the overheads on the tech side and pay the freelance commentator etc

A fiver is not much for two hours of any sort of entertainment (please nobody send Alex Le Tissier's OnlyFans again)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

The £0.00 payment is usually just for in-app authorisation with your banking app, for security reasons. I get that, then once I've pressed to approve, the order goes through and £5 comes out of the bank

Exactly this. 

10 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

A fiver is not much for two hours of any sort of entertainment (please nobody send Alex Le Tissier's OnlyFans again)

You get a whole year of sweet sweet SWF goodness for a fiver. Now that's money well spent. 

• Haha 1