Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

It is a bit strange that Stewart, Stephens, KWP can’t make the first game against Eastleigh.

Add Sulemana to that as well and then you have old sicknote himself who tore a facial hair ligament in the warm up.

Stewart is the most concerning one as surely 45 minutes against them would of been ideal.

4 minutes ago, northam soul said:

It is a bit strange that Stewart, Stephens, KWP can’t make the first game against Eastleigh.

Add Sulemana to that as well and then you have old sicknote himself who tore a facial hair ligament in the warm up.

Stewart is the most concerning one as surely 45 minutes against them would of been ideal.

So no Larios, Sulemana, Stephens, ABK, Stewart or KWP. Edwards and Lallana with slight injuries.

Dibling & Sam both took the opportunity to show why they are so highly rated. 
Yuki looks like he has got a good engine and to get forward. Could easily have scored a second. 
Wood looked the part at CB. 
Charlies goal carbon copy of his goal v gills last year. Looked a bit leggy to me though. 
Eastleigh #11 and #12 both decent players though the 11 had a torrid time with Sam. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Yuki Sugawara was just asked about Sam Amo-Ameyaw's performance and how he felt playing with him down the right today: 'Fucking old'

:lol:

Ha ha, he seems a top lad. We have quite a likeable team now. The exact opposite of when we went down 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Based on that, I would have thought it's an indication that KWP is off. 

You could argue KWP, Larios, Sulemana and ABK could be off. Stephens and Stewart probably just injuries

21 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Love this guy already. 

Hopefully his performances in the PL are as good as his attitude. 

I completely agree with @Turkish. We seem to have players this season that are decent blokes.

One of the painful parts of the relegation season wasn’t just that we went down - it was that most of the squad seemed like tossers who didn’t care. Very hard to support that. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, northam soul said:

Getting serious doubts about Stewart being any use for this club.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Challenger said:

You've got to give him time, it takes a while to get back to fitness when you've been injured for six years.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Challenger said:

I hope it comes good, just added him to my fantasy football team. Loch Ness Drogba and Fishy looking Haaland, surely vying for the Golden foot shoe at the end of the season?!

8 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Love this guy already. 

Hopefully his performances in the PL are as good as his attitude. 

I completely agree with @Turkish. We seem to have players this season that are decent blokes.

One of the painful parts of the relegation season wasn’t just that we went down - it was that most of the squad seemed like tossers who didn’t care. Very hard to support that. 

Martin seems to have little tolerance for players with bad attitude, he's definitely created a good team spirit will be important this season , going to need to battle for each other. 

• Like 2

I always study body language of players especially newbies.

Based on what I saw Yuki will have no difficulties becoming a positive influence as an attacking right back. He knows where to occupy his area when to be wide when to tuck in when to put his foot on the ball, when and where to run down the line or diagonally or inside,  has an eye for a decisive through ball and a good shot but equally knows when the simple pass to a mf or cb is best. can chip the ball into an area or to feet so technically is good and has high football IQ. 

We did not see him have to actually defend against a quality attack - yet- but first signs all very good. This aspect is going to be harder. 

Most of all he has an extraordinarily good sense of team spirit and understanding / cooperation with colleagues - which was excellent for a debutant and RM loves that. 

His muted celebration for his goal showed me he has low ego & is generally a respectful person -of everyone including lower level opponents that you do not gloat when you beat them. Plus he has a wicked sense of humour. 😍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leeham_69 said:

have the goals been posted anywhere? would mind seeing

If you search for a thread titled "pre season friendlies 24/25" you'll find them on there... ;)

• Haha 1

Definitely no sign of Ross Stewart in the Spain trip content today, whilst Larios is there.

Likewise no ABK but Tall Paul is there.

Edwards travelled but didn't seem to be in the training video- hopefully just a knock for him. No Lallana and haven't seen anything of Stephens either.

Edit, this covers it:

Edited by Dusic

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Definitely no sign of Ross Stewart in the Spain trip content today, whilst Larios is there.

Edwards travelled but didn't seem to be in the training video- hopefully just a knock for him. No Lallana and haven't seen anything of Stephens either.

Stephens is there, was in the background of the team leaving Staplewood this morning. Would assume he's got a minor injury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Definitely no sign of Ross Stewart in the Spain trip content today

This has all the hallmarks of Saints not quite giving us the full picture about a player with long term injury problems... Wouldn't therefore surprise me if Russ's recent "he needs another two weeks" comment evolves into a much longer period of time.... #justahunch 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

This has all the hallmarks of Saints not quite giving us the full picture about a player with long term injury problems... Wouldn't therefore surprise me if Russ's recent "he needs another two weeks" comment evolves into a much longer period of time.... #justahunch 

It seems odd that he was pretty much fit at the end of last season or so it seemed and has had the summer and a few weeks of pre season.

Now he is still injured or another injury.

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

If that is true, at least it will concentrate the minds to get the right amount of strengthening up front. 

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if Ross wasn't out there. Martin said that both Larios and Stewart will be going to Spain to get a good block of training under their belt, they may not play the friendlies, but they'll train.

I can see Larios in the pics as people have said, but no Stewart is suggestive that he cannot even train with the group.

Like Hypo said above, this will focus minds - forget Ross, he's finished here - not that it ever started.

53 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yeah it’s suspect. If they were really just taking their time with him, he’d be training in Spain.

Basically have zero strikers at the club going into the Premier League. 

Not good. 

13 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Yeah it’s suspect. If they were really just taking their time with him, he’d be training in Spain.

Basically have zero strikers at the club going into the Premier League. 

Not good. 

Tall Paul is on the plane. 

I remember many many moons ago having a chat with a shy and very tall ultimately successful Saints and England player outside a shed being used as a changing room in a field somewhere in Sweden. He was modest but positive. If Crouchie can do it in the Prem, who is to say Tall Paul cannot? 

Ok yes it’s odds on he gets sold but technically he is still our player and a #9. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Tall Paul is on the plane. 

I remember many many moons ago having a chat with a shy and very tall ultimately successful Saints and England player outside a shed being used as a changing room in a field somewhere in Sweden. He was modest but positive. If Crouchie can do it in the Prem, who is to say Tall Paul cannot? 

Ok yes it’s odds on he gets sold but technically he is still our player and a #9. 😁

If you asked me to pick a player least suited to the style Martin implements, I'd pick Onuachu.

I see no place for him here in a team which is based around agility, mobility and ball retention. He was signed when the mad Nate was implementing our aimless kick it long to anyone tactic. God Willing it could have been the best tactic in the world.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If you asked me to pick a player least suited to the style Martin wants to implement, I'd pick Onuachu.

I see no place for him here in a team which is based around agility, mobility and ball retention. He was signed when the mad Nate was implementing our aimless kick it long to anyone tactic. God Willing it could have been the best tactic in the world.

Think you’re absolutely right as things stand. 

In his defence I would say he was playing in a shambles of a side with management & players on a downwards spiral.  But he did look BAD. 

But his time in Belgium and in Turkey says he can score goals - given the service.

IF RM is as good a coach as is thought he should be able to create a style of play that’s best utilising his players strengths. Especially service to the #9. In this case Do all the PBF stuff then give it to the finisher.

Don’t care if its a chip a cross a pass a one-two or a corner - just give it to the finisher in a dangerous area so he can do what he’s there for. 
Obviously if you play him and expect him to be in and around the centre circle doing rondo style stuff with Flynn and Will it’s not going to end well.
Give it him where his physical and technical attributes are best used- penalty area - and it might be different story. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

In his defence I would say he was playing in a shambles of a side with management & players on a downwards spiral.  But he did look BAD. 

But his time in Belgium and in Turkey says he can score goals - given the service.

IF RM is as good a coach as is thought he should be able to create a style of play that’s best utilising his players strengths. Especially service to the #9. In this case Do all the PBF stuff then give it to the finisher.

Don’t care if its a chip a cross a pass a one-two or a corner - just give it to the finisher in a dangerous area so he can do what he’s there for. 
Obviously if you play him and expect him to be in and around the centre circle doing rondo style stuff with Flynn and Will it’s not going to end well.
Give it him where his physical and technical attributes are best used- penalty area - and it might be different story. 

He's not going to change his style of play to the extent that a lump of a forward is going to be successful. I doubt very much that Onuachu will be able to change his own playing style to adapt.

56 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

When he played you could see how totally uncomfortable he was with the ball at his feet. Technically awful, really clumsy and genuinely no mobility.

He can and will score goals in lesser leagues simply because of his height, I'm sure a few of his goals last year was just a case of the ball bouncing off of his massive torso. 

Under Sean Dyce Burnley could have made use of him, but in a footballing side he is of absolutely no use what so ever. Not even a worthwhile sub - as I can promise you that Martin will never abandon his passing principles, even if we're trailing at the death.

Edited by S-Clarke

A week in Spain training and playing with the rest of the squad should be plenty long enough to confirm what RM thinks of him. 
If there’s one player to whom you ought to be able to launch the ball and hope it sticks it’s him. I hope this season it’s not going to be 80 minutes of backs against the wall defending for saints but if it is- he’s probably not the worst out ball to have. IF he can control it and hold it up of course. 😁

18 hours ago, Dusic said:

Edit, this covers it:

He's scottish he has to wait until its under 15c or he gets his factor 80 sent to him.

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Tall Paul is on the plane

Assumed he'd flown over private

image.jpeg.dfbdedc5a766503c97e835aa4c607bc9.jpeg

Edited by Convict Colony

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

IF he can control it and hold it up of course. 😁

I seem to recall that that skill seemed to be embarassingly absent when he played for us, but that might just be my old memory cells playing tricks.. ?

If Juan can stay fit...I think he will surprise a few. He is the more suited to our system and style than any other signing we have made since RM arrived. RM massively rates him.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, LeG said:

If Juan can stay fit...I think he will surprise a few. He is the more suited to our system and style than any other signing we have made since RM arrived. RM massively rates him.

Any transfer updates? 

15 minutes ago, LeG said:

The brief glimpse I caught of Larios when he did play, my thoughts were that he is rapid. Whether he’s still got his speed post injury saga remains to be seen…

5 hours ago, SNSUN said:

The brief glimpse I caught of Larios when he did play, my thoughts were that he is rapid. Whether he’s still got his speed post injury saga remains to be seen…

He might not still have that speed, but he's had a growth spurt since you've last seen him.

1286501568_LariosGrowthSpurt.png.cd851ece51095b794da50563a57d0dbf.png

• Haha 2