Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No. Signing Rothwell to block the pathway of a youngster didn't work. The ultimate aim of getting promoted did but that had nothing to do with it. 

Of course it did we couldn’t take the chance then of risking kids over proven prem squad players. The aim was promotion that was Martins sole goal not blood kids in a tough division.

To say Martin doesn’t play youngsters is quite honest bollox and this pre season has proved that look at our teams.

Of course they are not prem standard and we know that and we all know where needs improvement 

35 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well it's a fair argument given that SAA had some promising performances last year and then was never seen again then we brought in the likes of Rothwell. 

No, he was never seen again after looking lost against a pretty mediocre QPR side at St Mary’s. His lack of appearances thereafter had nothing to do with Rothwell.

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No, he was never seen again after looking lost against a pretty mediocre QPR side at St Mary’s. His lack of appearances thereafter had nothing to do with Rothwell.

He was dropped and subsequently never seen again after one poor performance. In the meantime we brought in Rothwell who was another player preventing him from getting any chances. 

23 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Of course it did we couldn’t take the chance then of risking kids over proven prem squad players. The aim was promotion that was Martins sole goal not blood kids in a tough division.

To say Martin doesn’t play youngsters is quite honest bollox and this pre season has proved that look at our teams.

Of course they are not prem standard and we know that and we all know where needs improvement 

No one said Martin doesn't play youngsters. 

Martin confirmed Sulemana is out for the start of the season, couple of weeks out at least (not much loss mind, might put off any suiters though annoyingly).

Mara should be back for the mid week game.

Stewart may be involved in the game next Saturday, i.e. our last one - emphasis on 'might' and they'll have to 'wait and see' - what a see on what, who knows.  He hasn't been able to take part in a pre-season for 2 years.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He was dropped and subsequently never seen again after one poor performance. In the meantime we brought in Rothwell who was another player preventing him from getting any chances. 

Nobody was prevented from doing anything. Neither SAA nor Dibling were judged ready and good enough for first team football last season. What you’re basically saying is that we shouldn’t have signed a player who helped us get promoted, so a couple of young players could have played football they weren’t ready for.

If either had been better than Rothwell, they’d have played instead of him.

25 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Nobody was prevented from doing anything. Neither SAA nor Dibling were judged ready and good enough for first team football last season. What you’re basically saying is that we shouldn’t have signed a player who helped us get promoted, so a couple of young players could have played football they weren’t ready for.

If either had been better than Rothwell, they’d have played instead of him.

That's ridiculous logic. Martin himself has said he's made mistakes, maybe this was another one. His judgement isn't infallible. There's no indication at all that signing or not signing Rothwell was the reason for our promotion. It had virtually no difference. 

End of the day promotion is the ultimate aim, it's just a shame in my opinion that he didn't give more opportunities to SAA as I don't believe it would have changed the outcome of promotion. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's ridiculous logic. Martin himself has said he's made mistakes, maybe this was another one. There's no indication at all that signing or not signing Rothwell was the reason for our promotion. It had virtually no difference. 

End of the day promotion is the ultimate aim, it's just a shame in my opinion that he didn't give more opportunities to SAA as I don't believe it would have changed the outcome of promotion. 

I just refuse to believe neither Dibling or SAA would've contributed less than Mara or Sulemana for example. SAA actually had a very good impact off the bench in his first few games. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Stewart may be involved in the game next Saturday, i.e. our last one - emphasis on 'might' and they'll have to 'wait and see'

Translation: "We won't see Stewart this side of Hallowe'en" ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Rothwell never played the same position as SAA do you go to games? Today sAA never played anywhere near what Rothwell did or last season that was Brooks did you get confused?

Edited by Give it to Ron

31 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I just refuse to believe neither Dibling or SAA would've contributed less than Mara or Sulemana for example. SAA actually had a very good impact off the bench in his first few games. 

That was my point. I completely agree. 

Fair play to Dibling, I thought he could do with a season on loan but based on pre-season so far he’s been one of our best players. Carries this on in the next two games he’s making a very good case to start v Newcastle. Could be the 24/25 version of JWP at Man City.

• Like 4

I don’t remember people being quite so certain of promotion when we were 12 points adrift of Leicester and Ipswich and facing the almost certain lottery of the playoffs. We needed our foot flat to the floor with maximum possible points in every game. There was no time for any passengers, Russ had to go with the best players available.

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Didn’t Mara score five in a reserve game last season? People said all this stuff in 2008, then when we were actually forced into playing the kids they were worse than what we had before and we got relegated.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t remember people being quite so certain of promotion when we were 12 points adrift of Leicester and Ipswich and facing the almost certain lottery of the playoffs. We needed our foot flat to the floor with maximum possible points in every game. There was no time for any passengers, Russ had to go with the best players available.

Didn’t Mara score five in a reserve game last season? People said all this stuff in 2008, then when we were actually forced into playing the kids they were worse than what we had before and we got relegated.

I was never certain of promotion. I was saying that giving SAA a few minutes to show what he could do over someone like Sulemana on the odd occasion wouldn't have changed the outcome for promotion. 

We were terrible in 2008 because we had no choice but to play multiple kids in every game because there was no one else. That's not the same thing. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I was never certain of promotion. I was saying that giving SAA a few minutes to show what he could do over someone like Sulemana on the odd occasion wouldn't have changed the outcome for promotion. 

We were terrible in 2008 because we had no choice but to play multiple kids in every game because there was no one else. That's not the same thing. 

How much did we pay for Sulemana over SAA? You think a club would think that’s the correct thing to do?

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I would never want cost of a player to determine if they get played or not. 

You may not nor would I but a club would want to see something for their investment so a manager would pick a £20m player over an academy every time when  pushing for promotion 

Russ and the coaches probably thought players like Sully and Edozie would be better to bring on in than the likes of SAA. Very often when you bring on players like that you need them to force a result. Playing players on the ‘odd occasion’ for a few minutes isn’t really going to help. Only regular football will really do that.

The point about 2008 was that blindly saying young players can’t possibly be worse than senior, underperforming players isn’t true. There’s no reason at all to think that SAA would have been a better option than Sully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Russ and the coaches probably thought players like Sully and Edozie would be better to bring on in than the likes of SAA. Very often when you bring on players like that you need them to force a result. Playing players on the ‘odd occasion’ for a few minutes isn’t really going to help. Only regular football will really do that.

The point about 2008 was that blindly saying young players can’t possibly be worse than senior, underperforming players isn’t true. There’s no reason at all to think that SAA would have been a better option than Sully.

It's fine to disagree. I just think it was possible to provide a few more opportunities for SAA at certain points last season. Imo he had a bit more about him than some of our older players. 

• Like 3

On 03/08/2024 at 17:51, trousers said:

Translation: "We won't see Stewart this side of Hallowe'en" ;)

Stewart is clearly done, if he was a horse they’d be ringing the bet to bring a gun.  The mystery surrounding him currently is just weird/pathetic the club should just come Clean.

9 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Apparently protest location for the EDL or whatever the are call themselves now.(mindless idiots) Is grosvenor square so15 2bg. Hope it doesn't interfere with the football.

My concern would be around any reaction from the St Mary’s area so not parking where I usually do and trying Ocean Village.

Southampton is a multi cultural city it has its problems but it works.

12 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Great…prancing around St Mary’s in the skate’s traditional colours.

“Come On You Pinkos”

Launch day, the Puma guy is there just soaking up the loveliness of their new kit until the silence is broken by a rousing chorus of "what the f'kin hell is that" !!!

lovely 😂

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Haha 1

I was looking back at the highlights of the Oxford preseason match and I was surprised to find out then and there that Des Buckingham had been managing them since 2023. Now it makes that game feel not as bad now cause Des Buckingham is a seriously good manager, you pretty much have to be to be in order to be dominant in a league that has salary caps enforced since money is not an advantage. Postecoglou of Tottenham did it in Australia and Des Buckingham did it in India. Knowing that he's at the helm for Oxford they're going to shock everyone in the Championship mark my words. Though for us its also maybe a tad concerning granted that Des uses varied pressing tactics which we'll likely have to deal with a lot in the premier league. 

Don't believe me? This guy broke 17 records in the Indian Super League as documented here: https://www.mumbaicityfc.com/news/mumbai-city-fc-announce-departure-of-head-coach-des-buckingham

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

I always find it's poor form when you want to riot to let anyone know the place and time you intend to do so.

Also why EDL, haven't they been non existent for years, seems like most of our transfer rumours, utter bullshit.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

No idea whether this will go ahead or not but worth being aware of in advance of tonight...Lets hope common sense prevails...

image.thumb.jpeg.bcb2dcea31b8d7b78c292b71f4d0f1ef.jpeg

Meeting Grosvenor Square on to Bedford Place and London Road.

A seperate protest East Park by the peace fountain.

Straight home after work, no pub tonight.

Edited by Master Bates

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

No idea whether this will go ahead or not but worth being aware of in advance of tonight...Lets hope common sense prevails...

The demonstration and counter-demonstration will certainly go ahead. The only question is whether tonight's game will. Surely, no police will be available for it, but, as it's a friendly, maybe they feel that none are necessary. It would be good if the Club made an official statement well before we travel in. There will be some disruption to travel plans too. My usual car park in SO15 will probably be off limits, with police cordons and road closures.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

There's some absolute nonsense being posted and shared whipping up the hysteria , probably get some of these antifa numpties confusing normal Saints fans for "far right" protestors just walking through town.

planning to head to the game as normal , fairly small crowd expected anyway. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Great…prancing around St Mary’s in the skate’s traditional colours.

“Come On You Pinkos”

In fact, it's how they got their nickname. Their traditional colours were Pompadour Pink, which was abbreviated to Pompey. But, they weren't the first organisation in Portsmouth to get this nickname. The 56th (West Essex) Regiment of Foot, who were at one time stationed in Portsmouth, had Pompadour Pink facings on their uniforms, so they were nicknamed the Pompadours and then the Saucy Pompeys before PFC adopted the colour and nickname.

PS Modern Pompey fans prefer people not to know the real origin of their nickname so they've invented all sorts of legends, including one about heroic soldiers from Portsmouth climbing Pompey's Pillar in Egypt, all of which are, of course, bullsh!t.

Regimental Nicknames (old-merseytimes.co.uk)

Edited by Nordic Saint

43 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

In fact, it's how they got their nickname. Their traditional colours were Pompadour Pink, which was abbreviated to Pompey. But, they weren't the first organisation in Portsmouth to get this nickname. The 56th (West Essex) Regiment of Foot, who were at one time stationed in Portsmouth, had Pompadour Pink facings on their uniforms, so they were nicknamed the Pompadours and then the Saucy Pompeys before PFC adopted the colour and nickname.

PS Modern Pompey fans prefer people not to know the real origin of their nickname so they've invented all sorts of legends, including one about heroic soldiers from Portsmouth climbing Pompey's Pillar in Egypt, all of which are, of course, bullsh!t.

Regimental Nicknames (old-merseytimes.co.uk)

Didn't they use 1000 brave Portsmouth dock workers to build the Pyramids and Sphinx, but they ended up going on strike 'because of health and safety' and so the Egyptian authorities bused in 200 men from a Southampton historic artefact building company to break the strike?  I'm pretty sure Sky Sports used this in their introduction before the 2005 league game....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, malcolm waldron said:

Didn't they use 1000 brave Portsmouth dock workers to build the Pyramids and Sphinx, but they ended up going on strike 'because of health and safety' and so the Egyptian authorities bused in 200 men from a Southampton historic artefact building company to break the strike?  I'm pretty sure Sky Sports used this in their introduction before the 2005 league game....?

There was also that time in the Dickens era when workers in the Naval port were upset when cheaper footwear was being produced by workers in the Combined Union of Northamptonshire Tanners and Shoemakers.
That's why Pompey supporters have never forgotten and refer to the supporters of Northampton FC using an explicit word that should not be heard in front of children or those of a sensitive disposition.

I'm in a 'spoons which is also quiet and no security staff, unlike Saturday match days..

But it's a spoons so still been bothered by a loud socially crippled drunk (an Everton supporter, you'll be pleased to know).

Think I've just seen a Lazio couple wander in, but suspect their Curva won't be filled tonight..

1 minute ago, northam soul said:

Well that’s not the starting eleven I was expecting.

Thought he would have given his strongest team an hour today then a bit longer on Saturday.

Yep.

Giving the second roster some game-time.