Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

Sounds old fashioned of me but I kind of like pre season when you have players trying to prove why they should start. Only players I see doing that authentically in this preseason to date are Yuki, Tyler and Sam Amo. The rest kind of strolling around. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Taylor is too slow to play LB in the Premier League, he'll get ripped apart and offers zero support to Edozie. Let's hope KWP can slot in there if no one buys him.

Rest of the defence is ok. Downes and Smallbone connecting well.

Problem is Aribo, Edozie, and Armstrong look exactly like they were in the Premier league last time.

Need a bit of zip in the 2nd half

I have no axe to grind as I haven't seen him actually play, but he has played 161 games in the Prem.....he is not an inexperienced PL player.

Edited by miserableoldgit
Pedantry
  • Like 1

Tyler just runs round three Millwall and gets fouled. RM gives him pat on the back. MLT-esque run! Just brilliant. He’s just made sure he is a first team player for saints this season. 100%. Looks class above everyone else. 
final score 0-1. 

• Like 10

Our tempo is still far too slow at the moment. I've been watching the other Premier League teams pre-seasons and we're noticably more ponderous. Still lacking finishers and that focal point up front. Right now, Dibling is probably best placed to play that role.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

Just now, Ball boy said:

Surely Dibling starts the season? Looks a class above everyone else. 

Has been for all the games.Excellent pace,touch,skill,strength and vision

• Like 2

Just now, gio1saints said:

Tyler just runs round three Millwall and gets fouled. RM gives him pat on the back. MLT-esque run! Just brilliant. He’s just made sure he is a first team player for saints this season. 100%. Looks class above everyone else. 
final score 0-1. 

He has a Le Tissier like gait and plenty of MLT's natural ability.

• Like 1

Dibling is a player, very impressive off the bench today. His ability to beat a man without looking like he’s out of second gear is quite impressive. 

Sam Amo-Ameyaw is currently our best winger too. Dribbles like Edozie but looks like he’s got more of an idea about what to do with it after he beats his man.

BBD looks sharp, did all the simple things well. Looking forward to seeing more minutes from him over the remaining friendlies.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If Martin is true to his word about performances in preseason then both him and Ameyew need to stay here and get chances early. 

Martin prefers Lallana and experienced over youngsters. 

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, rooney said:

Has been for all the games.Excellent pace,touch,skill,strength and vision

And the most important part - An end product. Something you rarely see from even the most talented of players his age.

13 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

And the most important part - An end product. Something you rarely see from even the most talented of players his age.

Very important talent for Saints. He has certainly shown real maturity and skill.

I hope he features but remember other teams will already know all about him, and will plan accordingly. I guarantee he's been tracked by a lot of them.

If he starts nutmegging and sliding past Prem defenders, he'll have to watch his back.

9 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Very important talent for Saints. He has certainly shown real maturity and skill.

I hope he features but remember other teams will already know all about him, and will plan accordingly. I guarantee he's been tracked by a lot of them.

If he starts nutmegging and sliding past Prem defenders, he'll have to watch his back.

Indeed but it's up to Russ and him to find a way round that. The worst defence in the league (which will probably be us) will know all about Haaland and how he plays and plan accordingly but he'll find a way round whatever plan we put in place.

This is why 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

HTF do you work that out when he plays Ezodie, brings on SAA, Edwards, Dibling and Robinson? 

Well it's a fair argument given that SAA had some promising performances last year and then was never seen again then we brought in the likes of Rothwell. 

Never needed to get out of 3rd gear, Suga and Charlie Taylor decent with CT balance on left. Suga was outlet with nothing ahead of him.

Smallbone frustrating not showing enough. Aribo great on ball but we had no threat. Edozie who I like just looks lost no confidence to go by any one should have scored.

Dibling/SAA/Diaz looked more of a threat.

poor crowd but Millwall terrible side we strolled there via Waterloo Fire Station pub , Borough Market Southwark Tavern , no trouble or any sign of a skate stinking out the place.

Need to improve first team but we all know that. Goalkeeper, Flyn cover, wide and a forward to compete

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Well it's a fair argument given that SAA had some promising performances last year and then was never seen again then we brought in the likes of Rothwell. 

Because we couldn’t risk not going up playing unproven youth over a prem player could we

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Because we couldn’t risk not going up playing unproven youth over a prem player could we

There's a difference between limiting appearances for youth players and relegation them to the u21s for the entire season bar the first few games. 

Seeing the progress evident in Tyler Dibling I’m thinking our offensive midfielder issue is already resolved. If O’Riley is not coming we’ve got Tyler and he does not cost £25m plus £60k pw. 
Spend that on a better keeper and a bona fide centre  forward please. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

There's a difference between limiting appearances for youth players and relegation them to the u21s for the entire season bar the first few games. 

Did it work? Did we get promoted as was the aim? Is SAA now proving phis worth forcing his way in?

The aim was promotion his management was correct IMO of SAA.

Lets see him kick on now he has been given his chance to show his talent.

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Did it work? Did we get promoted as was the aim? Is SAA now proving phis worth forcing his way in?

The aim was promotion his management was correct IMO of SAA.

Lets see him kick on now he has been given his chance to show his talent.

No. Signing Rothwell to block the pathway of a youngster didn't work. The ultimate aim of getting promoted did but that had nothing to do with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Seeing the progress evident in Tyler Dibling I’m thinking our offensive midfielder issue is already resolved. If O’Riley is not coming we’ve got Tyler and he does not cost £25m plus £60k pw. 
Spend that on a better keeper and a bona fide centre  forward please. 

I didn't watch the game so it's hard for me to comment but there's a world of difference between pre-season friendlies and competitive games.  Personally I wouldn't make any kind of judgement, good or bad, on the basis of a pre-season friendly.

• Like 2