Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

13 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Why do I keep seeing people using Rothwell as a player we are worse off without? He was absolutely crap apart from about 5 minutes of the season when he scored two against Huddersfield and one against Sunderland. If we hadn’t gone up and we’d signed him i’m pretty sure everyone would’ve been disappointed.

Probably because he was marginally better than having no-one else. Agreed he wasn't very good, but he still contributed something, as far as i can see he he hasn't been replaced.

Just now, VectisSaint said:

Probably because he was marginally better than having no-one else. Agreed he wasn't very good, but he still contributed something, as far as i can see he he hasn't been replaced.

Was he? He completely hindered us in several games, particularly Hull at home, i’d say we would be better using somebody already at the club even if they’re playing out of position. 

Predictions:

Sugawara will be our player of the season this campaign. Barring injuries or being ousted as a Pompey fan.

We will not have a single 0-0 draw

Aribo will either have an amazing first half of the season and get bought by Chelsea or he'll have a terrible one and be farmed out to Plymouth

Russ' alleged relationship with Lucy Pinder will take up most of the questions at the press conferences

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ken Tone said:

Are we playing 3 CBs?

Looks depressingly like RM still sees Stephens as a first choice defender, not just back up.

Does he? This is his first start of pre season and his second appearance overall...

2 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Sugawara looks very good 

He is very good: one of the few in the squad who is truly a Premier League class player. He should be our regular set piece taker, as he is better at them than any of the others.

Just now, gio1saints said:

Millwall get an offside goal but it looked like we were asleep on a set piece. Edozie then has a shot saved ( prob should have scored). 

It was going in anyway but their player on the post in an offside position toed it in 😂

9 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Sugawara looks very good 

More signings like him surely can't be too hard to find? Good English speakers, internationals for middling nations, played in European group stages

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is playing as one of three centre backs when we don't have the ball and then steps into midfield when we do.

He’s been mostly more advanced though in the MF when we are in possession - which is currently most of the time. And a yard or two ahead of the two central CB’s when needs be. It’s a very fluid solution. Bit Stones like I think? 

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

lol, I did think that when i saw it but since  there wasn't a replay i wasn't certain.

Reminded me of this offside goal

Edited by Disco Stu

At the very least they need to look like a Prem side playing a Championship side.

At the moment they are retaining pocession and looking reasonably solid at the back .... that's all so far, fair to say room for improvement.

In a few weeks the likes of Toney, Watkins, and Harland will be spinning and shooting on site.

Going to be a long season

Things we will not see this season :

Charlie Taylor steaming down the left wing to create space or an option even an overlap for Sam Edozie. 

I reckon play Yuki on the left and Sam will automatically look and play better. 

Edited by gio1saints

More of the same old I'm afraid.

No end product from Edozie. Stephens is really unfit and can't pass for toffee. Armstrong is not a number 9. Taylor looks solid albeit slow and adds nothing going forward. Long season ahead. Only positive so far is Sugawara who looks class. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

Put Dibling and Amo-Ameyaw on together and we'll have a real attacking threat.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Proper boring half that. Presumably, Russell will tell us they're fatigued?

We've only looked exciting in this pre-season when Dibling and Amo-Ameyaw have been on the pitch together. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Three halves without scoring. Against lower level opposition. Few shots. AA barely touched the ball. 
Incidentally- No Shea Charles either - which looks interesting given the Celtic rumour. 

Commentator said he was warming up during 1st half didn't they

Taylor is too slow to play LB in the Premier League, he'll get ripped apart and offers zero support to Edozie. Let's hope KWP can slot in there if no one buys him.

Rest of the defence is ok. Downes and Smallbone connecting well.

Problem is Aribo, Edozie, and Armstrong look exactly like they were in the Premier league last time.

Need a bit of zip in the 2nd half