Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

Personally I think our passing out from the back is a nightmare, if the opponents press hard because of our head in the sand obsession the players still pass under pressure to players under pressure or end up giving the ball away. McCarthy is a panicker wants to pass but can't see one but because of instructions does it anyway and drops a defender in it or passes to an opponent. He needs to cut it out and hit it over the press.

I'd dump Edozie, his running up dead ends doesn't work. Dibling would be a better bet there. The first half centre backs looked poor with Manning in midfield disjointed. Alcaraz was struggling to find anyone to link with. Sulemana took too long to go at the full back so allowed numbers to close him down. For an hour that looked like a reserve team playing by numbers not really fancying Oxford's physical approach.. Mara lacks effort, time to unload him the injury wasn't helpful. We looked stronger after the hour but created little.

Martin needs to play within the limitations of the players he's got. McCarthy will concede bucket loads if forced to play out irrespective of the press. Even if he gets Ramsdale he can't afford to play around his own box for two reasons the risk of losing the ball and allowing much better teams to consolidate. That will lead to conceding goals and an inability to slowly break down Premier League defences.

Edited by derry
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, derry said:

Personally I think our passing out from the back is a nightmare, if the opponents press hard because of our head in the sand obsession the players still pass under pressure to players under pressure or end up giving the ball away.

However we feel about it, that is simply never, ever, ever changing under this manager and the philosophy he follows. 

His is quoted as saying that if we make mistakes doing what he wants, he's happy. He's not changing that. We will need a new manager if we want to see another approach, which obviously won't happen.

Personally we can do it - we just need a GK capable of receiving the ball under pressure, Bazunu was great at that to give him credit, but it's never been McCarthy's game and at 36 he's not going to learn that or improve at that - dead loss on that one. We will concede bucket loads of goals next season though, I think we should all prepare for that - need to ensure we score lots at the other end.

In some ways it's commendable that we are sticking to our plan, but there does seem to be quite a lot of head in the sand/fingers in ears from the coaches when it comes to genuine questions of it. That will be Martin's downfall as a manger IMO.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Surely there can't be anyone who's not a tad concerned that we're 2 weeks away from the start of a new premier league season with a first choice keeper who, despite being at the club for 8 years, "needs more time" to come up to speed...? My natural instinct is to try and find the positives in any given scenario but I'm struggling with this one...

You’re just waiiting for Martin to fail, you don’t like him. It’s so obvious and is tainting your posting style, you are never positive now.

• Haha 3

Better if we play like we did in the playoffs. Three centrebacks, two full backs, three midfielders and two strikers. Go pragmatic and cut out the crap in our own half. Do that and we can accumulate points. Do it the purist's vulnerable way, passing about under pressure in our own area we'll get hammered. Martin didn't get away with it in the Championship, he sure as hell won't get away with it in the Premier League. Only by changing did he achieve promotion. And only by changing will he avoid relegation.

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, derry said:

Better if we play like we did in the playoffs. Three centrebacks, two full backs, three midfielders and two strikers. Go pragmatic and cut out the crap in our own half. Do that and we can accumulate points. Do it the purist's vulnerable way, passing about under pressure in our own area we'll get hammered. Martin didn't get away with it in the Championship, he sure as hell won't get away with it in the Premier League. Only by changing did he achieve promotion. And only by changing will he avoid relegation.

And hopefully that's what he will do. He's adapted before when he could see he needed to, and while he's trying stuff in pre-season (which is exactly the time to do it), I think he'll do it again if we don't have the players to do it his ideal way in time for Newcastle. He's never going to throw his principles in the bin, but he's shown he can be pragmatic in terms of formation and personnel when he needs to. He's not stupid, and he's not as utterly inflexible as some suggest. The play-offs showed that. He identified that we needed to play a certain way to get the results, and that's what he/we did. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, maysie said:

You’re just waiiting for Martin to fail, you don’t like him. It’s so obvious and is tainting your posting style, you are never positive now.

I don't think that's fair, Trousers is a very reasoned poster on here - one of the few. He just has the same concerns as the majority of the fan base I'd say.

It's not a dig at the manager per-say, it's just what we all see in front of us with our eyes. We watched it last season and witnessed our weaknesses, which up to this second, have not been addressed. Put those weaknesses in a stronger league and those 66 goals conceded will easily hit 100+.

You don't think McCarthy as a starting GK is a good idea do you?

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 12

14 minutes ago, derry said:

Bang on David, we only went up because Bazanu got injured, McCarthy came in we went to back 5 and cut out the passing in our box. He seemed to realise McCarthy can’t do that yet last night he was expected to do something he clearly can’t nor can Lis.

We don’t have a goalkeeper that can pass out and actually make saves how we can consistently cock this up baffles me.

Forster(new contract then release) McCarthy, Bazanu, Lis and what’s the point of Lumley? 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I refuse to believe that RM genuinely thinks McCarthy is acceptable number one. 

There’s not a chance he’s not badgering SR to sign a new keeper. 

Why not? After all, he continually championed Baz as an acceptable number one when he clearly wasn't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maysie said:

You couldn't be more wrong... Admittedly, I had a bit of a negativity blip during our poor run in last season, and all I've done today is echo Russ's own concerns about  last night's performance but, hey ho, if that's your perspective on me then fair enough.  

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think that's fair, Trousers is a very reasoned poster on here - one of the few. He just has the same concerns as the majority of the fan base I'd say.

It's not a dig at the manager per-say, it's just what we all see in front of us with our eyes.

Indeed

FWIW, I'm actually looking forward to this season and hope that Russ and the team do really well. Being optimistic/hopeful and pointing out our deficiencies aren't mutually exclusive stances... I was very positive about the Diaz signing, for example....

image.thumb.png.c5b2736cd988a813f260747badd20391.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, trousers said:

That doesn't tally with Russ's post match comments though. Why would he criticise the lack of energy shown by the players if they were phyically incapable of matching his expectations...?

To be fair he does mention the fatigue here, but seems to still be disappointed with the level even taking that in to consideration.

Screenshot_20240801-121729.png

3 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

To be fair he does mention the fatigue here, but seems to still be disappointed with the level even taking that in to consideration.

Screenshot_20240801-121729.png

Does seem a tad contradictory to me but I'm sure the players will be in tip top condition once the season starts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Sorry but I am unable to share your confidence about that.

We aren't replacing McCarthy. The signing of that new contract made that obvious. He only signed because he knew or was told that he would be starting until at least Baz was fit.

31 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We aren't replacing McCarthy. The signing of that new contract made that obvious. He only signed because he knew or was told that he would be starting until at least Baz was fit.

I think that a conversation of that type took place too. The best I think we can hope for though, is that he was told the shirt was his to lose. So, Macca will start the season in goal, but we (and he) could still expect another keeper to come in and start on the bench. Then when/ if Macca has a bad spell, he can be replaced without the agreement having been compromised. 

All speculation of course, but I just can't believe that a) Macca would have signed otherwise, or b) that Russ would be willing to risk everything, including his job, on blind hope that Macca can be relied upon. Especially given how shaky he's looked in pre-season. 

Edited by Midfield_General

16 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I think that a conversation of that type took place too. The best I think we can hope for though, is that he was told the shirt was his to lose. So, Macca will start the season in goal, but we (and he) could still expect another keeper to come in and start on the bench. Then when/ if Macca has a bad spell, he can be replaced without the agreement having been compromised. 

All speculation of course, but I just can't believe that a) Macca would have signed otherwise, or b) that Russ would be willing to risk everything, including his job, on blind hope that Macca can be relied upon. Especially given how shaky he's looked in pre-season. 

Unless SR told him there would be no money for signing another keeper. Lis may well move on, but then we would only replace him with a similar no hoper to make up the numbers. 

Wood looks slow as shit and isn't great on the ball. Probably 5th option as CD, not a problem. 

McCarthy hasn't been great to say the least, first option goalkeeper , a bigger problem.

Manning and Charles isn't good enough to start in the PL. Both 2nd options. Not great, but not a big problem.

Don't know about Alcaraz. Not bad but..... Behind both Aribo and Smallbone. If he doesn't step up we need another cm/am. Can't se him do it.

Sulemana injured again, hasn't shown anything. Really need a new Winger now. Edozie is fine, Ama-a not a starter.

Mara has played alot in pre season, been ok in a few games, but not good. If Stewart can't play, we need another new striker to cover for Diaz. Mara is not the answer. 

Yet i feel we have had a pretty good window.

8 hours ago, trousers said:

Surely there can't be anyone who's not a tad concerned that we're 2 weeks away from the start of a new premier league season with a first choice keeper who, despite being at the club for 8 years, "needs more time" to come up to speed...? My natural instinct is to try and find the positives in any given scenario but I'm struggling with this one...

We should be sticking to how we played that suited McCarthy, as we looked better as a team for it anyway. Less passing between the keeper and the centrebacks, more clipping it to fullbacks and midfielders in space. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Exactly. SR/the recruitment team may have a blind spot when it comes to our goalkeepers, but in their eyes, I'm sure they think that's sorted. Mac will be our No1 choice goalkeeper this season. And RM will stick by him. Just like Baz was undropable last season despite his record, Mac will be undropable too.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 31/07/2024 at 21:05, goodymatt said:

Not ideal that 2 of our potential sales have walked off injured 

I can't believe what happened to Kamaldeen Sulemana.
He burned off the Danish Super League when he was 18 and ev.body thought he would be sold for a billion to an ok club abroad..... 
He went to league un in France, Rennes I believe, didn't pull up trees there, and ended with us for a far too high price and has produced close to NOTHING with us. SO frustrating. 🤔

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Went to Oxford on Wednesday ; can’t be arsed to go to any more friendlies.

Anybody know if there are any going to be any streams available of the Millwall game?

Bit early. Usually there aren't for friendlies but check on this thread just before the game tomorrow. Thanks St. Neal for finding the last one for Wednesday's game and if there's a link to be found and he's around, Convict Colony can normally find it.

• Like 1

That gutless no energy performance with no team spirit evident coincided with AM being given the captains armband. 

I remember another gutless display away at Gillingham in which Che had the armband too. 

It’s one thing being tired but that does not affect your vocal cords. First half plus until Flynn and Jack arrived we had no captains no speaking no vim on the pitch. 
For EPL we need 11 captains on the pitch. Too many fail to take responsibility the other night and Ive seen it previously too. Oddly enough and I don’t think he had his best game but that’s one thing you always get with Charlie and it’s why he’s a fan favourite. He Hates losing. I mean really hates it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Went to Oxford on Wednesday ; can’t be arsed to go to any more friendlies.

Anybody know if there are any going to be any streams available of the Millwall game?

I've watched the Montpellier game and the second half of the Oxford match (I couldn't get it to work from the start of the match) on Fawanews (Sports News) so hopefully may also have the Millwall game as well? I hadn't heard of them before someone posted a link on here before the Montpellier game, the coverage was good quality and stable although no commentary for the Montpellier game but that meant we could clearly hear RM barking out instructions.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 12:08, saintant said:

Why not? After all, he continually championed Baz as an acceptable number one when he clearly wasn't.

Of course he said that in public as Baz was the best we had so destroying his confidence by telling everyone he was rubbish would hardly be good man management, none of us has any idea what he is saying behind the scenes and rightly so.

1 hour ago, a1ex2001 said:

Of course he said that in public as Baz was the best we had so destroying his confidence by telling everyone he was rubbish would hardly be good man management, none of us has any idea what he is saying behind the scenes and rightly so.

He could’ve said (lied) that he has every confidence in him and that he’s a good goalkeeper who will improve. But to say he’s the best in the division means either he’s delusional and believes it, or thinks we’re stupid and believe that complete bullshit.

I hope I’m wrong but I think it’s the former, and that would partly explain why SR don’t seem to be pursuing getting a PL level gk. Why should they if the manager is happy with the crap we have?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

spacer.png

Diaz in for Edozie and that's the team for the opening day? It really isn't exciting is it? Glaring lack of creativity, goals and a Goalkeeper with hands/feet.

It's a very good Championship team - with THB, Downes and perhaps Sugawara as probable Prem standard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

So basically we’ve got a bit worse at right back, a bit better at left back, and everything else is exactly the same.

Not inspiring.

All we need is for our CEO to come out after our first few defeats and say 'a club like Southampton is lucky to be playing amongst the huge clubs found in the Premier League'

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

spacer.png

Diaz in for Edozie and that's the team for the opening day? It really isn't exciting is it? Glaring lack of creativity, goals and a Goalkeeper with hands/feet.

Damn,that’s depressing reading as a side about to start in the Premier League in a couple of weeks. 
So much work to do. 
Otherwise it’s a battering from the off. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Saints v Millwall: McCarthy; Harwood-Bellis, Stephens, Bednarek; Sugawara, Smallbone, Downes, Taylor; Aribo, Armstrong, Edozie

That team will do well not to finish bottom of the Premier League.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

So basically we’ve got a bit worse at right back, a bit better at left back, and everything else is exactly the same.

Not inspiring.

We aren't as good in MF. We are down Armstrong, Rothwell, Fraser and Brooks, afraid Alcaraz and Lallana (if fit) don't make up for that. 

Why do I keep seeing people using Rothwell as a player we are worse off without? He was absolutely crap apart from about 5 minutes of the season when he scored two against Huddersfield and one against Sunderland. If we hadn’t gone up and we’d signed him i’m pretty sure everyone would’ve been disappointed.

• Like 3