Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd also question the logic of signing both Edwards and Wood. Yes both are low cost so relatively decent fees, but it means we are relying a heck of a lot on bednarek and THB to perform well enough to keep us up and they shipped a ton in the championship. I think I'd have preferred signing Edwards and then an experienced older pro to share that load with bednarek. 

Charlie Taylor is experienced and played LCB alongside THB for Burnley in their promotion season. Plus we have Jack Stephens of course. 

Megahoma looks to be on his way out, but that would still leave Larios and Manning as LB & LWB options (& KWP if finances allow 🤞) . Also maybe Wee Man if Eddie Howe pulls his head out of his arse.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

9 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I didn't say fitness was an issue, I said that they were exhausted during the week (and likely before the game) by their strength and conditioning department to a) build very high levels of fitness fast and b) make the match very hard work to replicate the exhaustion felt late in a Premier League match.

They won't be doing massive weights and cardio sessions just before Premier League matches, so it really is no comparison.

Perhaps the team just have massively regressed since Montpellier, but to my eyes, when players that have only played 30 minutes look shattered, its because they are in the middle of an extremely intense fitness schedule.

And I guess that would suggest Oxford were not suffering pre-season exhaustion as they were superior in many ways?

51 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Think Edozie and Larios cost us a combined £10M - Something to do with helping Man Citys sister club Girona sign Romeu.

Reported at the time as 10m for Edozie and 6m for Larios.

33 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

What I am saying is added quality is needed.

Stands out at the moment.   Our best eleven as things stand is not an improvement on last season, and two weeks out from a trip to Tyneside that's something to worry about.   There is an urgent need for a better GK, one or two better midfielders (Charles is not good enough for a defensive midfield role and Smallbone is not good enough to be a regular starting attacking midfielder) and a striker in addition to BBD.

17 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Charlie Taylor is experienced and played LCB alongside THB for Burnley in their promotion season. Plus we have Jack Stephens of course. 

Megahoma looks to be on his way out, but that would still leave Larios and Manning as LB & LWB options (& KWP if finances allow 🤞) . Also maybe Wee Man if Eddie Howe pulls his head out of his arse.

The fact remains we signed two young inexperienced centre backs to deputise Bednarek. It's a gamble and I'm not convinced it will pay off. 

7 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Stands out at the moment.   Our best eleven as things stand is not an improvement on last season, and two weeks out from a trip to Tyneside that's something to worry about.   There is an urgent need for a better GK, one or two better midfielders (Charles is not good enough for a defensive midfield role and Smallbone is not good enough to be a regular starting attacking midfielder) and a striker in addition to BBD.

Personally I'm not convinced that anyone else we sign now will make the lineup for Newcastle (other than maybe a keeper or possibly a striker.) potential for a rude awakening in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The fact remains we signed two young inexperienced centre backs to deputise Bednarek. It's a gamble and I'm not convinced it will pay off. 

And I'm saying we have 3 experienced centre backs; Stephens (on a new contract), Taylor (on a new contract), THB (on a new contract) & Bednarek. 

Yes Jan only has a  1 yr contract. But RM is one of the key recruitment team, and he seems confident that he will stay, otherwise why would he have been straight back into the team for the Spanish friendlies? (unlike KWP who is in the same position)

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

It's a bit scary to think the season is just over two weeks away. You're probably right, if we don't sign anyone else this week then by the time they've got up to speed/integrated into the group, you wouldn't expect them to play the opening game. 

I'd imagine Newcastle fans will be extremely confident going into that game. 

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

And I'm saying we have 3 experienced centre backs; Stephens (on a new contract), Taylor (on a new contract) & Bednarek.

Yes Jan only has a  1 yr contract. But RM is one of the key recruitment team, and he seems confident that he will stay, otherwise why would he have been straight back into the team for the Spanish friendlies? (unlike KWP who is in the same position)

I'm not going to argue but Taylor is not a centre back and Stephens is not an adequate replacement for bednarek imo. I'm just saying that my view is that we needed another experienced centre back rather than two young inexperienced centre backs with potential. I hope we don't come to regret that choice. 

7 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

It's a bit scary to think the season is just over two weeks away. You're probably right, if we don't sign anyone else this week then by the time they've got up to speed/integrated into the group, you wouldn't expect them to play the opening game. 

I'd imagine Newcastle fans will be extremely confident going into that game. 

McCarthy 

Bednarek THB Stephens

Sugawara Downes Smallbone Taylor 

Aribo 

Armstrong Bereton Diaz 

May be close to the team we put out for Newcastle. In my opinion that's nowhere near good enough and we could get spanked. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

McCarthy 

Bednarek THB Stephens

Aribo 

Armstrong Bereton Diaz 

May be close to the team we put out for Newcastle. In my opinion that's nowhere near good enough and we could get spanked. 

That team will get pulled apart.

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

McCarthy 

Bednarek THB Stephens

Aribo 

Armstrong Bereton Diaz 

I don't expect us to start the season well at all, we will probably be waiting some weeks for our first win/points - we will be recruiting right up until the end of the window imo, so how we start at Newcastle will still be nowhere near how we look come September/October.

I think we'll reserve our more impressive editions (loans) until the end of the month - got to be patient and roll with the punches up to then I guess.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't expect us to start the season well at all, we will probably be waiting some weeks for our first win/points - we will be recruiting right up until the end of the window imo, so how we start at Newcastle will still be nowhere near how we look come September/October.

I think we'll reserve our more impressive editions (loans) until the end of the month - got to be patient and roll with the punches up to then I guess.

Not sure that's going to be enough to see us survive. New recruits will be necessarily eased in due to the complexity of Martin's system. We might not be seeing our strongest starting eleven until mid October. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you agree that's at least close to the lineup we go with? 

I think it looks pretty close to how we'll line up at St James's Park.

I think we'll see us struggle to be competitive.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

McCarthy 

Bednarek THB Stephens

Aribo 

Armstrong Bereton Diaz 

If that is the team we go with then the only place we could possibly be stronger than last year is in attack and at left back. You could argue we are actually weaker on the wings. 

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

I like Edozie, fantastic dribbler, but the end product is often not there. Is he improving in that regard? I’m not too sure.

Often not there.... he does the same predictable step over and gets tackled or takes a step far rather than shooting or passing. It was wasteful tonight. What worries me is we don't really have a replacement or we didn't utilise it tonight. 

I think a little annoyed he was ready to replace sulemana and took 7mins and cost us the 1st goal

Just got out of the car park (ok, back to south London, but feels like I’m still stuck in the car park). That first half team can’t play out from the back, or at least McCarthy can’t…! 
Thought Edwards had some potential but Wood looked awful - very clumsy and seemed to switch off. Hopefully he gets himself properly fit and concentrates a bit more, but would put him behind Edwards on that showing for sure. 
Thought Charles, Dibling and SAA all did well and Alcaraz looked like could make something happen. Get a poacher in the box for Edozie please.

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Aren't they further along in their pre-season?

Maybe. By what - a week or two? And what about the supposed higher level of the players or did our lot turn into lazy slouches since Wembley? I mean surely we should have at least matched Oxford. Let me say that again….Oxford Utd.😏

Nice posts @Luke SkyWalker-Peters i hope its correct about the current training block they are on reducing their levels for these games, sort of makes sense that they would taper off from these in the couple weeks leading up to Newcastle.

I think we can all agree goalkeeper, attacking midfielder and striker needs working on.

Watched 20 mins and just saw terrible football and dropped off, sounds like we only got better when the better players came on.

Can someone answer me this, do they do any specific attacking ball work in training around the box or are we of the pepe school of thought of getting up the pitch and leaving it to the players to score ?

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

i hope its correct about the current training block they are on reducing their levels for these games

Russ's post match comments would tend to suggest not...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, disconnect said:

Get a poacher in the box for Edozie please.

How's that going to work when 9 times out of 10 Edozie loses possession before he gets chance to cross or shoot...?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

McCarthy 

Bednarek THB Stephens

Aribo 

Armstrong Bereton Diaz 

Yep, that'll pretty much be the starting 11

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Yep, that'll pretty much be the starting 11

Potentially just three changes from last year and no real certainty that they are significantly better than the players they have replaced other than maybe Taylor. Not great. 

• Like 2

Russ not happy in his post-match comments. Paraphrasing but said they lacked intensity and that it ‘felt’ like a friendly which he didn’t like. Said no excuse for it and they shouldn’t expect that to be acceptable. Said they played without joy or personality, especially in the first half, which he was surprised about as they try to make sure they enjoy training etc, and want to see that enjoyment translate to the pitch when they play. Called out Sam Amo as the only one who really played with joy or expressed himself, and questioned why it should be down to the 18 year old to set the example. Said BBD will get some minutes on Saturday. 

Overall sounded quite irritated and disappointed, especially with the first half team. Clearly pissed off that they didn’t appear to be putting in maximum effort.  

9 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Russ not happy in his post-match comments. Paraphrasing but said they lacked intensity and that it ‘felt’ like a friendly which he didn’t like. Said no excuse for it and they shouldn’t expect that to be acceptable. Said they played without joy or personality, especially in the first half, which he was surprised about as they try to make sure they enjoy training etc, and want to see that enjoyment translate to the pitch when they play. Called out Sam Amo as the only one who really played with joy or expressed himself, and questioned why it should be down to the 18 year old to set the example. Said BBD will get some minutes on Saturday. 

Overall sounded quite irritated and disappointed, especially with the first half team. Clearly pissed off that they didn’t appear to be putting in maximum effort.  

If that's the case, why didn't he pull them over after 15 minutes to put a rocket up their arse? If the players aren't playing the way they are being told to play then why wait until half time to put it right? Surely it's the manager's job to rectify such an obvious problem during the course of the game...? 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

If that's the case, why didn't he pull them over after 15 minutes to put a rocket up their arse? If the players aren't playing the way they are being told to play then why wait until half time to put it right? Surely it's the manager's job to rectify such an obvious problem during the course of the game...? 

Maybe he wanted to see if they could resolve things on their own? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

He's way too loyal for his own good, it's a commendable trait...but it can also be completely ill-advised in some circumstances, and this is such a circumstance. I'd go as far to say that if we keep McCarthy as our GK, we might as well have not been promoted - as the season will be a waste of everyone's time.

It scares the life out of me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Getting worrying now. I really hope he’s just saying what he needs to say in public in order to not throw McCarthy under the bus, while in the background telling SR we badly need a keeper upgrade. 

Because if he really thinks Macca just ‘needs games’ to get to the required level, then yeah, we are bang in trouble.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, trousers said:

I think that the two 11s were due to have 45 minutes each. RM changed plans wanting the first half 11 to sort things out and the majority of the subs were made on 60

heres the image that saints had ready...

Southampton XI: McCarthy, Harwood-Bellis, Bednarek, Stephens, Downes, Smallbone, Dibling, Aribo, Sugawara, Edozie, Armstrong. 

Another interesting post-match snippet:

Interviewer suggested that last night’s result was the first ‘hiccup’ of pre-season. Russ gives a wry little chuckle and says ‘oh there have been plenty of hiccups, you just don’t see them’.

Would love to know what that was in reference to. Wonder what’s gone on that we don’t know about? 

Surely there can't be anyone who's not a tad concerned that we're 2 weeks away from the start of a new premier league season with a first choice keeper who, despite being at the club for 8 years, "needs more time" to come up to speed...? My natural instinct is to try and find the positives in any given scenario but I'm struggling with this one...

• Like 3

@Luke SkyWalker-Peters thanks for your well considered pov.

I watched the entire match and was frustrated at most of it. like all of us. Not just at the two giveaway goals but the general lethargy on display. 

If you are right - and I think you probably are re - that this was played on the back of a heavy fitness session and the match was essentially to beast the players ahead of season starting - (and RM was in Brighton most the day dont forget so was not supervising -)  then the fitness coaches have either overdone it or did it on purpose to his instructions. 

Either way it showed me ( no big revelations here) that under extreme fatigue our style of play especially the high risk stuff in our own area breaks down and we concede goals. 

Damned if you do damned if you don’t I guess. Unless you practice in those extreme fatigue conditions how can you hope to deal with them better? 

The training session at SMS will be interesting. I’m hoping to see RS, JL, BBD and AL kicking balls shooting on target ( you know that thing we didn’t do last night) and running without problems. 
PS. But if Oxford can do that to us what will better teams do who will fatigue us more and with better quality - a sobering thought. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, trousers said:

Because the game doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things?

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Surely there can't be anyone who's not a tad concerned that we're 2 weeks away from the start of a new premier league season with a first choice keeper who, despite being at the club for 8 years, "needs more time" to come up to speed...? My natural instinct is to try and find the positives in any given scenario but I'm struggling with this one...

There is nothing positive to say

I have been following Saints for over sixty years and this squad is dire with no outstanding players 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

If you are right - and I think you probably are re - that this was played on the back of a heavy fitness session and the match was essentially to beast the players ahead of season starting - (and RM was in Brighton most the day dont forget so was not supervising -)  then the fitness coaches have either overdone it or did it on purpose to his instructions. 

That doesn't tally with Russ's post match comments though. Why would he criticise the lack of energy shown by the players if they were phyically incapable of matching his expectations...?

10 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Because the game doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things?

So why was Russ very disappointed with the way they played if it "doesn't really matter"...? Can't have it both ways. It either mattered or it didn't....

image.png.cd751e5fc5577d32c4bf49f26fb797ba.png

image.png.6313c325ff2e31b0640bdd50202959be.png

image.png.d58f38d390e873e7d3e08ceaebe816c7.png

image.png.21de1ac6fd03d40ddca1e5b1ecfb5add.png

image.png.ca16191ae2a0fe29dcff20bb7986293d.png

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

That doesn't tally with Russ's post match comments though. Why would he criticise the lack of energy shown by the players if they were phyically incapable of matching his expectations...?

Sry I did not wait for the post match stuff. Was too peed off! 
I think maybe he was as disappointed as us at the lack of energy on display. He would have hoped we would cope better I assume and was wrong. Hence disappointment. But as I said not seen interview. 

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Sry I did not wait for the post match stuff. Was too peed off! 
I think maybe he was as disappointed as us at the lack of energy on display. He would have hoped we would cope better I assume and was wrong. Hence disappointment. But as I said not seen interview. 

image.png.928b9bc8e82a25e56b07c05e26e9e126.png

1 minute ago, trousers said:

So why was Russ very disappointed with the way they played if it "doesn't really matter"...? Can't have it both ways. It either mattered or it didn't....

Yes, of course it matters that 2 weeks away from our return to Prem action Saints turn in a performance like that.   Oxford United passed the ball better; moved the ball quicker; were quicker on the counter attack and looked more dangerous in attacking areas.   In my mind it also matters that players like Bree, Manning, McCarthy and Mara are getting game time, and our likely starting line up at Newcastle is likely to be weaker than the side who beat Leeds in the play off final.

• Like 2