Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sulemana going down without contact can't be good. Nobody will want to buy him if he's crocked.

Not ideal that 2 of our potential sales have walked off injured 

• Sad 1

So far. Dull as dishwater. Being played at sub walking pace. AM doing his fuckaround in the penalty box pass thing and they nearly score. Every match. Every match we do that. And now they score. Deserved really first time cross took a deflection and easy finish. 

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

1-0 Oxford, deflected into their path to score against our 10 men.

even though i paid 5 quid i could see that the entertainment was not worth the money and dropped off after 20mins.

• Like 1

AM Again with another fuck up. And we do another give away goal. Every time he gets the ball it seems it’s a disaster waiting to happen. This time our defenders playing fuck around football in dangerous area and it’s a goal. Really shit performance so far. 

The positive is that it hammers down the need for a GK to all concerned within the club, just in case they were bordering on the 'club is relaxed about the situation and happy with McCarthy as first choice' lines. The club can't sleep on this one any longer. He shouldn't have really been given a new deal if we're honest.

Real lack of understanding throughout the entire team though, which is somewhat understandable I guess.

• Like 5

Just now, S-Clarke said:

The positive is that it hammers down the need for a GK to all concerned within the club, just in case they were bordering on the 'club is relaxed about the situation and happy with McCarthy as first choice' lines. The club can't sleep on this one any longer. He shouldn't have really been given a new deal if we're honest.

Real lack of understanding throughout the entire team though, which is somewhat understandable I guess.

If they really can’t see this guy is no first choice for the Premier League then we really are screwed.

• Like 1

The experiment of two different teams two halves is obviously no motivation at all for our players who look half asleep - and experiment already has failed purpose. AM fuck ups are making players lose concentration. We are literally giving goals away for free. RM’s tried to be too  too clever by far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

If they really can’t see this guy is no first choice for the Premier League then we really are screwed.

We have a weird blind spot when it comes to GK's though, the same people at the club did just offer him a new 2 year contract, with the PL in mind. The same people who extended Lumley's deal in Feb.

Our GK ideas are incredibly confused and have been for as long as I can remember.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure I agree - many of that team have played the system before many times…they should know their roles. Fact is, they’re not good enough, although what the fook Manning is doing as a general sweeper/playmaker I don’t know - he’s just not good enough and because they’ve been told to put everything through him it slows the game and we end up passing it backwards…rinse repeat. Let’s hope he puts out a decent team in the 2nd half.

6 minutes ago, SouSaint said:

We are going to concede an embarrassing amount of goals this season I fear. 

We will if we continue faffing around at the back against the quality and athleticism we'll be facing. Especially if we don't sort out the goalkeeping position.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

Wouldn't be the worst thing if Oxford score a couple more to really rub in the need for a goalkeeper. I'm not a paid analyst, just merely a fan, but God knows what these guys watch to think we can start a Premier League season with either Alex McCarthy or Gavin Bazunu (if he wasn't injured) in goal. Been a big blind spot/the club have tried to be too clever since Forster's big contract.

McCarthy's like a cat, minus the reflexes. Every time his contract nears its end he has a handful of good games and then gets rewarded with a new deal. Had so many lives. Come on Martin, you didn't think he was good enough for 90% of last season.

• Like 2

Just now, HarvSFC said:

Wouldn't be the worst thing if Oxford score a couple more to really rub in the need for a goalkeeper. I'm not a paid analyst, just merely a fan, but God knows what these guys watch to think we can start a Premier League season with either Alex McCarthy or Gavin Bazunu (if he wasn't injured) in goal. Been a big blind spot/the club have tried to be too clever since Forster's big contract.

McCarthy's like a cat, minus the reflexes. Every time his contract nears its end he has a handful of good games and then gets rewarded with a new deal. Had so many lives. Come on Martin, you didn't think he was good enough for 90% of last season.

He literally has no other choice at the moment. I’m sure he’d love a better keeper.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not sure I agree - many of that team have played the system before many times…they should know their roles. Fact is, they’re not good enough, although what the fook Manning is doing as a general sweeper/playmaker I don’t know - he’s just not good enough and because they’ve been told to put everything through him it slows the game and we end up passing it backwards…rinse repeat. Let’s hope he puts out a decent team in the 2nd half.

Ronnie Edwards give away was absolutley due to a lack of understanding of who is around him, lack of communication, too near other team mates etc.

Manning is seemingly doing the Stephens role, probably because Martin see's him as capable on the ball - but christ, you need shit loads more in your locker to play that role! Football isn't just about passing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

To borrow an expression, a cat minus reflexes is not a cat.

• Haha 2

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

McCarthy will be our number one until Baz is fit. I have no doubt about that.

I don't know what's worse; McCarthy playing most of the season, or Bazunu coming straight back into the side to relieve him.

We don't sign a keeper, we're fucked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

And that, in a nutshell is it, he ignored him totally all bloody season until he felt he had to pick him then lo and behold here’s a shiny new 2 year contract !

Edited by beatlesaint

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Ronnie Edwards give away was absolutley due to a lack of understanding of who is around him, lack of communication, too near other team mates etc.

Manning is seemingly doing the Stephens role, probably because Martin see's him as capable on the ball - but christ, you need shit loads more in your locker to play that role! Football isn't just about passing.

The difference is Stephens has a bit of grit. Manning getting ragdolled for most of that half.

Hopeful of seeing a much improved second half that is closer to our prem side. 

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

McCarthy will be our number one until Baz is fit. I have no doubt about that.

Madness if that's the case but I suspect you are right on the money.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ronnie Edwards give away was absolutley due to a lack of understanding of who is around him, lack of communication, too near other team mates etc.'s

It's the one big worry I have with RM.    He seems to have too much faith in players like Manning, Stephens, McCarthy.