Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

i feel dirty i have actually paid for a stream, back to normal piracy come the newcastle game

johnny depp ship GIF

I might hold out for something last minute like the Montpellier game, then buy it last minute when that fails

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Saints v Oxford: McCarthy; Edwards, Wood, Taylor; Bree, Charles, Alcaraz, Manning; Amo-Ameyaw, Mara, Sulemana

To me, that says we're playing the squad players to start - it's their chance to try and impress / or let themselves down. 

RM did say that from tonight onwards it’ll become clear who he’s considering as starters/fringe players and also said it would be two different XIs to give everyone one last go and then it will settle down

So presumably second half will be more of the starters and that’ll then continue into Millwall, Lazio and Getafe

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

To me, that says we're playing the squad players to start - it's their chance to try and impress / or let themselves down. 

The trouble is if you put a whole team of second string together they struggle to impress individually or as a unit, like in early league cup teams where promising youngsters are put in and struggle.

P.S. My son is stuck on the A34 trying to get to Oxford for kick off, he's not even at Newbury yet!!

9 minutes ago, M271 said:

The trouble is if you put a whole team of second string together they struggle to impress individually or as a unit, like in early league cup teams where promising youngsters are put in and struggle.

P.S. My son is stuck on the A34 trying to get to Oxford for kick off, he's not even at Newbury yet!!

Part the A34 is closed following a crash. Diversions in place

• Like 1

Don't get how we will play today. Is it a back 3 with Taylor as third CD, Manning and Bree as wingbacks. Sulemana and amo-a ar wingers and Charles and Alcatraz cm. Mara up top.

Doesn't look great.

50 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Team of duds; realistically the majority of them aren't good enough for a PL squad. Maybe it's their showcase game to watching scouts?

So if we are 4 up that means we are ready? It’s a fitness friendly it means diddly squat

18 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Who is their trialist? The commentator seems to be hinting its someone we know. 

They’ve had Ejaria, an ex Liverpool winger who was with Reading until Xmas (paid £3.5m when they had £) and Marley Watkins training with them. Ejaria played in their last couple of games. 

Their fans aren’t sure if it’s Ejaria or not https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/pre-season-friendly-v-southampton-31-07-2024.10896/page-3

Praise for our fans turnout if not the line up.

EDIT - their trialist featuring is apparently Ruben Providence https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruben_Providence

Great name!

Their poster QR mentions being at the Dell for 1-1 draw in the 80s, Aldridge scoring (it was close range). Midweek game, Mark Wright got ours IIRC. Not a great game

Edited by Gloucester Saint

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Would you rather him experiment with things he doesn't know in games that matter?

Manning will never be playing in our midfield. At least I pray he won't be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Would you rather him experiment with things he doesn't know in games that matter?

Of course not... Just wondering under what circumstances Manning ever ends up playing central midfield for us in the PL... ergo, what's the point in the "experiment"...?

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Of course not... Just wondering under what circumstances Manning ever ends up playing central midfield for us in the PL... ergo, what's the point in the "experiment"...?

Pretty sure he played there numerous times for Swansea didn't he?

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Pretty sure he played there numerous times for Swansea didn't he?

No idea... But if Manning is the answer to any shortfalls we may have in central midfield then I fear for our PL survival chances... #cuttingcorners

Edited by trousers

Just now, trousers said:

No idea... But if Manning is the answer to any shortfalls we may have in central midfield then I fear for our PL survival...

Getting some practice for his inverted fullback role...

• Like 1

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Me too but a fitness friendly tonight has no bearing on our survival 

Of course, but I'm happy with my curiosity levels re: Manning's role tonight :)