Pre Season Friendlies 2024/25

25 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

But he never does anything with it, so it's redundant. Its like he's too fast for his own brain to keep up.

That seems to be the mark of the modern winger though, at our level, either lightning pace, or it’s all nifty footwork and shoe shuffle ( cough - Edozie - cough ) and trying to beat one too many. Either way, no end product. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

You could easily be talking about Sulemena as well. Both absolute wasters. 

I think Sulemana has been a huge disappointment as well, but at least he occasionally looks like he wants to get involved, even if he's not very good. The same argument could be levelled at him with his penalty though - christ man, you've been handed on a plate a chance to actually score for once, maybe try and take it? 

Mara has got that toxic combination of having the 'I'm so good I don't need to try' attitude of the second coming of Mesut Ozil, whilst being absolutely laughably shit at football. 

Why he's even around the first team squad makes no sense to me at all. I guarantee that if we put him out on loan to a lower league side he'd be shit there too and would just vanish from trace like so many others have. I'd rather have someone who actually cares playing out of position as a false nine than ever see him play for us again.  

God he makes me angry 🤣

• Like 6

Is Mara actually worse than guido Carrillo?

At least Carrillo actually ran and I saw him hold the ball up once. Mara is fucking embarrassing 

I have to say it’s pretty close. How we have signed two of the worst strikers I have ever seen so close to each other is really baffling. 

Horrific footballer 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

I have to say it’s pretty close. How we have signed two of the worst strikers I have ever seen so close to each other is really baffling. 

Horrific footballer 

Might as well throw Tall Paul into that elite band of shit (or in fairness to him just totally unsuited ).

Possibly TP might have offered a bit more effort than Mara. 

2 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

At least Carrillo actually ran and I saw him hold the ball up once. Mara is fucking embarrassing 

Horrific footballer 

Yeah Carillo was absolutely awful but you could see he was trying. I'd rather have ten of him than that fucking prancing gimp with his stupid fucking hair. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Horrific footballer 

I don't think you could say he's worse tbf, but on equal footing - probably.

All it does is go to ram home the utter ineptness of our striker recruitment, not just over 1 year, but many fucking years. Even last year we again fucked up with our striker signing. 

Whoever in our recruitment team is tasked with scouting strikers sack them...and get someone who knows wtf they're doing, because whoever is currently doing it has no scooby.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

Might as well throw Tall Paul into that elite band of shit (or in fairness to him just totally unsuited ).

Nah TP isn't a great footballer by any means but at least his goal scoring record is very good (outside of this country). Absolutely no way Mara would score as many goals as TP has even if he spends his career in Belgium 

• Like 3

Just now, ally_uk said:

Sulemara + Mara get shot! 

Dibs deserves a chance in the Prem 

Yeah I look at Dibling and see a player there who can make a genuine impact, I say get him tied down to a longer deal first though - as I'm sure 15 mins in the PL, doing well, will make all the clubs want to buy him - it's the way the daft world works these days. He looks like he has that Shaw/Bale swagger about him to me anyway. Amo is good too, but I reckon he'll be the one to loan out.

It's a shame guys like Sulemana got more game time than either of those young kids last year, travesty really.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

Onuachu has scored 74 goals in 179 games in Denmark, 85 in 134 in Belgium and last year scored 17 in 25 in Turkey. 

He's old-fashioned, doesn't fit our style and will never be a Martin player but comparing him to Mara is like comparing Zlatan to Antony Pulis. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Onuachu has scored 74 goals in 179 games in Denmark, 85 in 134 in Belgium and last year scored 17 in 25 in Turkey. 

He's old-fashioned, doesn't fit our style and will never be a Martin player.

Now, I look at games like Millwall at home last year, where we dominated possession but no-one to aim a final ball at. I don't entirely buy the logic of there being no place for him.

• Like 6

Love modern football where we write off the likes of Sulemana, Edozie and Mara when they're only 22, 21 and 21 respectively. We can't buy finished products, we know this. 

Get Dibling in the side and if he isn't banging in 15 goals a season by the time he's 21 get rid of him too. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Colinjb said:

Now, I look at games like Millwall at home last year, where we dominated possession but no-one to aim a final ball at. I don't entirely buy the logic of there being no place for him.

I think he could offer something too, especially off the bench. Big lumps can always have an impact, even in the PL, even if its just to change the complexion of a match and cause a bit of chaos and either get a head to something, hold it up to bring other players in or just attract worried defenders to create more space for others. I've got no problem with it if you're a goal down with fifteen minutes to go and have nothing to lose. Look at Koeman too, regularly bringing on Weghorst in the Euros when he needed to shake things up. There's still a place for it. 

But Martin's such a purist that I just can't see him ever lumping it up to the big man, in any circumstances. 

If I was in charge though, needed a goal and my bench options were Onuachu or Mara? There's not even a discussion to be had. Get warmed up big lad. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Love modern football where we write off the likes of Sulemana, Edozie and Mara when they're only 22, 21 and 21 respectively. We can't buy finished products, we know this. 

Get Dibling in the side and if he isn't banging in 15 goals a season by the time he's 21 get rid of him too. 

Behave yourself. How many chances have Mara and Sulemana had. And it's not because they're 'not the finished product', it's because they contribute absolutely fuck all, ever. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I think Sulemana has been a huge disappointment as well, but at least he occasionally looks like he wants to get involved, even if he's not very good. The same argument could be levelled at him with his penalty though - christ man, you've been handed on a plate a chance to actually score for once, maybe try and take it? 

Mara has got that toxic combination of having the 'I'm so good I don't need to try' attitude of the second coming of Mesut Ozil, whilst being absolutely laughably shit at football. 

Why he's even around the first team squad makes no sense to me at all. I guarantee that if we put him out on loan to a lower league side he'd be shit there too and would just vanish from trace like so many others have. I'd rather have someone who actually cares playing out of position as a false nine than ever see him play for us again.  

God he makes me angry 🤣

second coming of Mesut Ozil .. made me laugh - cheers 

3 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Behave yourself. How many chances have Mara and Sulemana had. And it's not because they're 'not the finished product', it's because they contribute absolutely fuck all, ever. 

Easy to work out. Mara has played 1384 minutes which is the equivalent of just over 15 games. (So less than half a Prem season). He's made 56 appearances so that works out at an average of 22 minutes per game. 

Sulemana a bit more, 1917 minutes so just over 21 games. He's made 43 appearances so that works out at an average of playing less than a half a game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Easy to work out. Mara has played 1384 minutes which is the equivalent of just over 15 games. (So less than half a Prem season). He's made 56 appearances so that works out at an average of 22 minutes per game. 

Sulemana a bit more, 1917 minutes so just over 21 games. He's made 43 appearances so that works out at an average of playing less than a half a game. 

And out of those combined 99 games, how many times have you seen them break into a sweat?

Technically they may improve. But if they are this complacent/lazy at the start of their careers when they should be champing at the bit to get out there and show what they can do, there's little chance of an attitude change.

Edited by petermcpete
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

And out of those combined 99 games, how many times have you seen them break into a sweat?

Technically they may improve. But if they are this complacent/lazy at the start of their careers when they should be champing at the bit to get out there and show what they can do, there's little chance of an attitude change.

Quite a few times actually. Absolute myth that they don't work hard, it's just that they don't have the same engine other players do so can't sprint after everything at full pelt. 

You may have missed the point about the amount of minutes played by the way - they haven't played 99 games combined, if you put together all their time on the pitch they've played 36. Not even a full season between them and they're written off while the oldest of the pair is 22, after moving to a foreign country and setting up shop in an absolute shambles of a team that went though three managers in their first season at the club. 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 3

Said it once and I’ll say it again, Sekou Mara should never get a chance again. He is awful.

Friendly or not, to take a penalty like that is shambolic and shameful. Does he think he’s Thierry Henry? Bloody ego of Ronaldo, and not even close to having the ability of David McGoldrick.

• Like 6

I do wish RM would go mental at the team when we try to play Russian roulette in the penalty area. 
We nearly concede, again, from another stupid pointless fuck around in the area passing suicide thing. 
In the EPL we are going to be giving every team a goal head start if they continue this nonsense. 
You cannot win the match faffing around showing off your rondo skills in your penalty area - but you can lose it. 
I love our passing moves from defence to back of there net- but too many of the passes around six yard box are simply something out of “Death Wish 24 - The Saints EPL year” . Put it on Netflix. Jeezus. Stop it!!!

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I do wish RM would go mental at the team when we try to play Russian roulette in the penalty area. 
We nearly concede, again, from another stupid pointless fuck around in the area passing suicide thing. 
In the EPL we are going to be giving every team a goal head start if they continue this nonsense. 
You cannot win the match faffing around showing off your rondo skills in your penalty area - but you can lose it. 
I love our passing moves from defence to back of there net- but too many of the passes around six yard box are simply something out of “Death Wish 24 - The Saints EPL year” . Put it on Netflix. Jeezus. Stop it!!!

He's been our manager long enough for us to know that's never going to happen.  He's more likely to 'go mental' at them if they don't play that way.

57 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Completely agree with this.  The froth and rage on here is something to behold.  No denying they were crap penalties (but not the scale of Alcaraz last season nor Lineker v Brazil in 92).  No denying Mara can appear too laid back (Martin has said as much).  No denying Sulemana has struggled to play in the way the manager wants.  And no denying Edozie could be doing more with what he creates.   But for all that the hyperbole and bitter vitriol on here (again) is embarrassing.

• Like 10

How are people in here lumping Edozie with Mara? Have you ever watched Edozie play???

I really do not understand why our fans get excited at signing skilful players and then complain about them non stop if they lose the ball, saw the exact same with Tadic and Boufal (but opinions seemed to change with Tadic when he left).

If you go and watch City, watch how often Doku loses the ball. Shocker, it’s a lot. But it’s often in the attacking third and attempting to do something that results in a higher likelihood in a good chance.

From what I’ve seen from Edozie, he is very good at passing his man and I’ve watched teams kick at him and even swap fullbacks so they can commit more fouls just to stop him. He plays low driven balls across the box which are really difficult to defend but our players tend not to follow up very often and you’ll often find Che was outside the box or Armstrong was coming close. 

To me Edozie definitely has the makings of a good player and he does he best and certainly tries every single time he is on the pitch which is hell of a lot more than I can say for a lot of players I’ve seen in the past 5 years. 

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

He's been our manager long enough for us to know that's never going to happen.  He's more likely to 'go mental' at them if they don't play that way.

Completely agree with this.  The froth and rage on here is something to behold.  No denying they were crap penalties (but not the scale of Alcaraz last season nor Lineker v Brazil in 92).  No denying Mara can appear too laid back (Martin has said as much).  No denying Sulemana has struggled to play in the way the manager wants.  And no denying Edozie could be doing more with what he creates.   But for all that the hyperbole and bitter vitriol on here (again) is embarrassing.

Mara and Sulemana need to discover motivation to succeed.  Younger players who want to succeed demonstrate it, and people can see it.  Both of the penalties demonstrate a lack of desire and that has been shown by these two players for most of their time at Saints.  They may still come good, but there are no real signs of the necessary commitment to succeed in a sport where you get just over 10 years as a professional.  They are currently wasting their 'talent' and writing themselves off with their lack of effort.  

Starters

Alex McCarthy - 6.

Nearly spilled one but recovered and made an exceptional save at his near-post shortly after. Could he have done better with the free-kick? Pass straight to striker went unpunished. 

Yukinari Sugawara - 7.

Solid outing for the new signing. Looked good throughout, bar a couple of problems with the Montpellier left-winger. Brilliant cross for Harwood-Bellis's goal.

Ronnie Edwards - 8. 

Really impressive 45 minutes from the 21 year old. Covered the spaces in behind him well and was there to meet it. Only beaten once by this. Excellent ball and assist for Dibling.

Jan Bednarek - 8.

Was on it from the first minute and did some important defensive work. Displayed his passing range with one crossfield pass early on. Impressive welcome back for him. 

Charlie Taylor - 7.

Solid signing again and had a good outing except for two moments where he was caught drifting forward. Otherwise, composed and precise in his passing.  

Flynn Downes - 8. 

Everywhere on the pitch, particularly in the first half. Made several big tackles and was his usual excellent self. Not too much else to say other than impressive. 

Will Smallbone - 7.

Missed an early chance but was constantly a step ahead of the opposition, forcing them to look to foul him. Will be a key player this season. 

Joe Aribo - 8. 

Really strong and technically impressive. A bully in the midfield and has impressed Saints staff so far this pre-season. Regularly retained possession in tight areas. 

Kamaldeen Sulemana - 6.

Terrible penalty and was really fortunate to be given a second chance to convert it. Sometimes aimless with his movement but responded well to pitch-side coaching. 

Sam Edozie - 7. 

Edozie won Southampton's early penalty well but missed two chances not too much harder than open goals. They marked him down but was good going back and forward.

Tyler Dibling - 8.

Acclimatising to a new false nine position but grew really well into the game. Started off with some sloppy touches and needed coaching. Became a threat and took chance so well.

Taylor Harwood-Bellis scored from the bench (Image: Matt Watson / Southampton FC)
Substitutes (HT)

Taylor Harwood-Bellis - 8.

Great header to score Southampton's third goal of the game and otherwise solid. Was a vocal leader and could be heard orchestrating Amo-Ameyaw. 

Nathan Wood - 7. 

Steady operator with not too much to shout about but looked slick in possession and didn't have any defensive problems. 

Sekou Mara - 5.

Missed the penalty in shambolic fashion and did not do much else. Did pick up some good areas where he was not found by his teammates but otherwise unimpressive. 

Sam Amo-Ameyaw - 8. 

Lots of creative ideas and regularly involved after he entered the pitch. Worked really hard to make things happen, set up O'Brien-Whitmarsh for one and won a penalty.

Substitiutes (60')

James Bree - 7.

Huge tackle on the Montpellier player messing around in front of the goal to prevent the concession. Steady operator. Has a good chance of being backup this season. 

Ryan Manning - 7. 

Continuing his inverted full-back role stepping into midfield for the final 30 minutes of the match. Has clearly worked on it over the summer, looked comfortable in possession.

Shea Charles - 6.

Goes under the radar again but took up some decent advanced positions. Did not do anything wrong but was coached on the side twice after picking up wrong man while marking.

Joe O'Brien-Whitmarsh - 6.

Good run in behind but didn't quite choose between crossing and shooting quick enough and asked too much of Alcaraz. More comfortable in natural role and linked well with Amo-Ameyaw. 

Charly Alcaraz - 6.

Worked hard to try and make an impression but didn't really do anything of note. Still question marks over where he fits in this team, Dibling is ahead of him. 

Jay Robinson - 6.

Looked lively without impacting the game. Good experience for the 17 year old to be with the first team staff and players for a full week overseas. 

• Like 3

If it was a Choice between Charlie and Tyler for that attacking mf /false #9 / take ball and drive with it a la Stu position So far it’s 3-0 to Tyler. Each match he’s looked better than Charlie. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Indeed this, people go on about age as if these guys are going to get to 24 years old and suddenly turn into prime Henry. 

They should be showing signs by now they’re going to become something, and it ain’t happening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

Indeed this, people go on about age as if these guys are going to get to 24 years old and suddenly turn into prime Henry. 

They should be showing signs by now they’re going to become something, and it ain’t happening.

They don't have the right attitude for starters. Neither look like they want to put in the hard graft - almost as if they believe they are good enough already. Dibling and SAA are younger but both have totally different body language when on the pitch. 

• Like 7

Exactly, and that's why Edozie should not be put in the same hat as Sulemana and Mara. Those two are wasting too much time and too much space which should be given to the likes of Dibling & SAA to show their worth, especially as these friendlies move from warm-ups to pre-season tactics. But boy, doesn't our front line look weak?

Already liking Ronnie Edwards looks very good at the back. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Unlikely to have a go at the team for this. Where do you think this comes from, isn’t it straight out of the RM mantra to recycle it around the CBs and GK ? 

5 hours ago, GastonRamirez said:

I really do not understand why our fans get excited at signing skilful players and then complain about them non stop if they lose the ball, saw the exact same with Tadic and Boufal (but opinions seemed to change with Tadic when he left).

If you go and watch City, watch how often Doku loses the ball. Shocker, it’s a lot. But it’s often in the attacking third and attempting to do something that results in a higher likelihood in a good chance.

From what I’ve seen from Edozie, he is very good at passing his man and I’ve watched teams kick at him and even swap fullbacks so they can commit more fouls just to stop him. He plays low driven balls across the box which are really difficult to defend but our players tend not to follow up very often and you’ll often find Che was outside the box or Armstrong was coming close. 

To me Edozie definitely has the makings of a good player and he does he best and certainly tries every single time he is on the pitch which is hell of a lot more than I can say for a lot of players I’ve seen in the past 5 years. 

Opinions on Tadic changed not because he left but because in the last month or so of the season he stepped up when we were facing relegation and put some tremendous performances in, influencing games. He’d been anonymous for large spells of his time with us. 

As for Edozie, the willingness to run is there, but all too often a weak shot, or a nothing final ball is the outcome. 

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

I do think age and expectation sometimes has something to do with it. Especially Sulemana who was almost our record transfer aged 20 after having been moved from Ghana to Denmark to France then to England in the space of 3 years. I'm very much in the camp of not writing players off when they're still young in footballing terms... however I agree that we've seen a fair bit from both Kamaldeen and Mara and they've not shown much that either will make it right now. Mara appears to have some technical ability and has shown he can score the odd chance, but is lazy. Sulemana has pace and little else that I've seen. If they do improve and impress us this season (if they're still here) then I take my hat off to them but I personally doubt they will. I know not every footballer is universal but Will Smallbone is an example of a late bloomer, although how he fairs in the Prem remains to be seen. 

We do need to sort some contracts out though, I hope we get Dibling and Bednarek down and it would be a dream to get KWP to commit. Meghoma is the other one that needs looking at. Dibling could have a huge future and to not secure him for the next 4/5 years would be a travesty. We need to say he'll be part of the team this season if he signs. Him and SAA have shown they should be part of the project and they'd be an X Factor for us against teams in the Prem who might not know too much about them (bar Spurs and Chelsea of course...)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Badger said:

Has anyone mentioned Mara’s mum on this thread yet ?

Her penalty taking is probably better than the one I just witnessed. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, gio1saints said:

You want RM go mental at the players for playing Russball? This suicidal football is what RM is known for. 

Did not watch it but from reports Brendan Rodger’s found it super easy to overcome Marescas’ Chelsea team still learning his PB football style with inverted wingbacks etc.

The 4-1 score line kind of rings a bell also from saints disasters last year. 

I know it’s a preseason match and I see the team was mainly kids- but all the same Chelsea better sort themselves out fast.
If Celtic can do it so can many EPL teams. I’m not sure Chelsea would be as patient as SR- worth looking at him for getting sacked by XMAS I think…

Of course you cant make too many assumptions from pre season games but I guess Everton fans might be a tad concerned after drawing against Sligo in Ireland, losing 2-1 at Salford and another 3-0 loss at Coventry tonight

4 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Of course you cant make too many assumptions from pre season games but I guess Everton fans might be a tad concerned after drawing against Sligo in Ireland, losing 2-1 at Salford and another 3-0 loss at Coventry tonight

So must Pompey fans after losing 0-4 at home to Wycombe and drawing 1-1 with MK Dons.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Looking forward to tonight, despite sitting with the Oxford fans. If they're too annoying, will just go and stand behind the goal in the car park...

Yeah all sold out for Saints fans,£20 at the gate if you want to sneak in elsewhere...or, don't forget, £2.50 at the tail-lift...

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Wonder how strong we go tonight?

1st team ;

Macca;

Sugawara - THB - Bednarek - Taylor;

Smallbone - Downes - Aribo;

SAA - Arma - Edozie.

2nd team.

Lumley;

Bree - Edwards - Stephens - Manning;

Lallana? - Charles - Alcaraz;