Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

If the 72000 Leeds fans on Sunday decide to give us some stick about Dishi Rishi it will be fun to record the loudest 'Jimmy Savile, he's one of your own' in televisual history.

Followed by Peter Sutcliffe, he came in your mum

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Weirdly, being a Saints fan since 1989 with a history of times where we've had more downs than ups, I think I could deal with defeat on Sunday better than if we win. Naturally a defeat would leave me feeling gutted but it would just be another result where, once the dust has settled, I'd feel like "oh well, another year in the Championship next year" whilst probably looking on with a bit of jealously at the Premier League next season. I'm working on Sunday too so I won't be as emotionally invested in it as perhaps you lot that are going will be.

Win? It will be a weird feeling. Winning something, winning a trophy, knowing we're keeping THB for at least another season. Especially as underdogs (at least in the bookies eyes). Sure I was at Wembley for the JPT but we were rampant favourites that day and were almost expected to win. I was not born for the FA Cup in '76. Winning, and a summer of worrying about the state of the squad for the Premier League, will definitely bring a range of different emotions to losing. 

I'm sure it would be different if I were at Wembley but I hope those of you that are going have an excellent time and do us proud! There has to be a loser - I just hope it isn't us.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Weirdly, being a Saints fan since 1989 with a history of times where we've had more downs than ups, I think I could deal with defeat on Sunday better than if we win. Naturally a defeat would leave me feeling gutted but it would just be another result where, once the dust has settled, I'd feel like "oh well, another year in the Championship next year" whilst probably looking on with a bit of jealously at the Premier League next season. I'm working on Sunday too so I won't be as emotionally invested in it as perhaps you lot that are going will be.

Win? It will be a weird feeling. Winning something, winning a trophy, knowing we're keeping THB for at least another season. Especially as underdogs (at least in the bookies eyes). Sure I was at Wembley for the JPT but we were rampant favourites that day and were almost expected to win. I was not born for the FA Cup in '76. Winning, and a summer of worrying about the state of the squad for the Premier League, will definitely bring a range of different emotions to losing. 

I'm sure it would be different if I were at Wembley but I hope those of you that are going have an excellent time and do us proud! There has to be a loser - I just hope it isn't us.

I am much the same. Old enough to live with whatever outcome. However, having got a ticket for Wembley, as always I am going to be fully invested whilst at the match. To help ramp up the importance, think of Sunday as a really pivotal moment. Win and we get promoted, possibly survive next season, slowly build a team that punches above its weight, maybe gets into Europe and/or even finally wins a cup, a trillionaire buys us, spends a fortune and we become the next Man City. Lose and we stay in the championship, the side is weakened on his season, we don't make the play offs, money gets tighter and the side gets worse, we eventually have a poor season and get relegated...whilst having the suffer the Skates go the other way. Shudder.

20 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Same as that. Win i'll be ecstatic on the day, but then the reality will hit that we're going to go back to losing most weeks and being cannon fodder for in the premier league for the big clubs. Lose i'll be gutted for a few hours then get over it. This is probably the most evenly matched final we've been in, Carlise we were big favourites, for the other finals again Man United x2, Arsenal and even the ZDS final against Forest we were big underdogs so  a win would have massively upset the odds. Really hard to call this one as very little between the teams. 

• Like 6

I hope SKY interview a fan after the game who tells them how much they're not looking forward to a season in the premier league.  If you're not a big 6/7 supporter then it's pretty crap.

That said, you can't not want your team to win and I'll be hoping we do win.  As for who is favourites out of us and Leeds - flip a coin, nothing in it.

• Like 1

IF Che is properly fit he has to start IMO.

It’s been weird recently, having no idea what formation or starting XI he’ll go for. Usually it’d be a real cause for concern but we’ve at least looked relatively untroubled at the back the last 3 games. 

I hope Leeds go balls out and start their front 4, I think it’ll give us too much control in midfield and they’d struggle. If they’re brave enough to drop one of them, match us up and press high, I think it’ll be far tougher 

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

My lucky mate has tickets to the royal box. Wonder if there will be any luminaries in there. 

Is your mate called Rishi by any chance? 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Have I missed it, or are people keeping quiet re predictions for the final?

I'm of the opinion that its madness we're being allowed to go into it as even slight underdogs as i'm comfortably off the opinion that we're better than Leeds and have the measure of them. We know their threats, we know how they're going to play, and we're frankly just a better coached and better managed team with a lot more to offer tactically. Yes its a cup final so anything can happen, and yes we're got injuries and will miss Che, but there is no way Leeds should be the standout favourites for this tie imo... Also seen a lot of posts from their fans dismissing our fans, and some even being shocked when they asked united fans about the cup final and finding out we were "quite loud"... I was at the league cup final, and if our fans give anything like that level of support we'll certainly do the side proud for our part.

Leeds have chatted a lot of smack about saints this season. Going to be funny if we leave them behind in the Champ come Sunday.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Same as that. Win i'll be ecstatic on the day, but then the reality will hit that we're going to go back to losing most weeks and being cannon fodder for in the premier league for the big clubs. Lose i'll be gutted for a few hours then get over it. This is probably the most evenly matched final we've been in, Carlise we were big favourites, for the other finals again Man United x2, Arsenal and even the ZDS final against Forest we were big underdogs so  a win would have massively upset the odds. Really hard to call this one as very little between the teams. 

Realistically Leeds are probably correctly favourites. If both sides play to their best Leeds probably win as they have better strikers and players who can create something out of nothing (something we don't have). We have a better midfield and the longer it goes without them scoring the more i'd fancy our chances.

Really can't call this either way to be honest, but if 40 years of watching Saints has taught me one thing it's that we're always the bridesmaids, so i'll go in expecting a loss and anything else is a bonus

8 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Realistically Leeds are probably correctly favourites. If both sides play to their best Leeds probably win as they have better strikers and players who can create something out of nothing (something we don't have). We have a better midfield and the longer it goes without them scoring the more i'd fancy our chances.

Really can't call this either way to be honest, but if 40 years of watching Saints has taught me one thing it's that we're always the bridesmaids, so i'll go in expecting a loss and anything else is a bonus

Exactly how I see it, if it goes against us and we lose we get to sing football in a library at Oxford next season so every cloud and all that 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

It's scary if we win, it's scary if we lose yet we all (nearly) just want to win and worry about the consequences later.

Cynically, i do think the prem next year will be a hard one to stand up in, whereas the year following that 3 strong sides will get relegated, and the 3 that go up will find it easier 😛. Looking for silver linings.

We're beating Leeds on Sunday though so will be irrelevant. 

3 hours ago, Saintbarry235 said:

What time is everyone thinking of arriving at Wembley ? I’m planning on arriving at 11am to soak up all the atmosphere, anyone think that’s too early ? 

Bit too early I reckon. Aim to get there from 12.30?

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Assumption that the Wembley pitch is massive and helps our style of football better and will make Leeds be knackered after 70mins.

2-0 saints

I was also thinking 2-0 to saints, possibly 2-1 i guess.

• Like 1

Leeds have been making a lot of white noise on social media, and coming up with some absolute bollo since we beat WBA, which means they are rattled. We've done them home and away 5-2 on aggregate and looked comfortable in both matches, and they know it.  This is a final, a one off, but we have nothing to fear from their side or their 'famous' support, pressure seems to be on them from pundits, media and bookies - all good, fuck them!  Like others have mentioned on this thread our supporter base also seems more circumspect, less mortified at the prospect of losing, and personally next season in the Championship doesn't fill me with dread at all.  Greater good, I want Saints in the Prem for the sake of both club and city, but would like us to be competitive and wont be fearing relegation if we're not.  For what it's worth I think we'll do it 2-1 or 3-1 on Sunday, a rare and delicious all Saints day at Wembley.  

• Like 10

The fact we're so concerned with Che being fit is a sad indictment of our recruitment. A striker who is at best streaky but who you never feel is likely to score 1v1.

That being said if he does the business before heading off on his free then fair play to the lad. He always gave his all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Assumption that the Wembley pitch is massive and helps our style of football better and will make Leeds be knackered after 70mins.

2-0 saints

Elland Road and St Mary's are exactly the same at 105 x 68 metres. Wembley is 105 x 69. Only a lick of paint in it.

• Like 1

I see Leeds as having an absolutely terrible match up tactically against us.

As long as we don’t go missing for the final and we don’t have terrible luck, Leeds won’t be able to do an awful lot about it.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

I see Leeds as having an absolutely terrible match up tactically against us.

As long as we don’t go missing for the final and we don’t have terrible luck, Leeds won’t be able to do an awful lot about it.

why?

3 hours ago, ant said:

Ideally no earlier than 2pm, for me. Would prefer to booze in the city and just arrive in time for the buildup. Although if my ticket doesn't turn up soon my hand may be forced on earlier.

That's my rough plan too, although I'll be arriving at Victoria so no early one in The Hole in the Wall, if it's still there.. Any pub recommendations? Not too far from a station or bus-stop as still using a crutch. I may not take gio1saints' advice and have more than one..

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

That's my rough plan too, although I'll be arriving at Victoria so no early one in The Hole in the Wall, if it's still there.. Any pub recommendations? Not too far from a station or bus-stop as still using a crutch. I may not take gio1saints' advice and have more than one..

I was looking at a mini crawl of Hop Locker (South Bank), then (in as-yet undefined order) The Harp, Craft Beer Co Covent Garden and The Lyric. Then on to Marylebone for the train to Wembley.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CB Fry said:

My ticket is definitely going to be delivered tomorrow.

Just got in from work and inded it was. True story.

I'm fascinated by the decision to make them the size of a bedroom door but Wembley obviously know what they are doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'm fascinated by the decision to make them the size of a bedroom door but Wembley obviously know what they are doing.

I think you got a "special" one. Was the writing larger than you expected?

• Haha 2

Think we can all at least agree that this is a lot more exciting than automatic promotion. Our season would've been done weeks ago, no last Friday and no Wembley trip. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

why?

Their midfield tends to leave too much space, which is likely to give us the lion’s share of possession and limit Leeds’ chances by itself, their high press isn’t good enough to stop us playing out through it, which leaves them vulnerable when they try it, and if they push defenders forward to try and help deal with our stronger midfield, they’re not quick enough to deal with balls in behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

There is a Wetherspoons right next to Victoria (used for the League cup final against Man U)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

They know Saints fans will want to frame them afterwards - A4 gold leaf rococo from Matalan! 

• Haha 1

Fucking hell, Saints.

My account's primary address is set to my flat, but on booking I set for the ticket to go to my girlfriend's house (given I'm there more than 'home' currently). 

Checked the post at home and lo & behold, there's the ticket.

Could be interesting for anybody in the same boat if the addresses aren't close to each other...

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

Their midfield tends to leave too much space, which is likely to give us the lion’s share of possession and limit Leeds’ chances by itself, their high press isn’t good enough to stop us playing out through it, which leaves them vulnerable when they try it, and if they push defenders forward to try and help deal with our stronger midfield, they’re not quick enough to deal with balls in behind.

Agree. This really is a game for us to lose. Their press is not like a full on Leicester, it's got pretentious Summerville & Gnonto. We can play through that. We just need the player(s) to grasp the nettle when we play the passes behind. Who's it going to be - AA, Edozie? 

As others have said I'll be fully invested on the day but largely ambivalent towards the outcome of we do win.

The main bonus of winning is to annoy all the Pompey fans who are furiously jizzing their pants at the prospect of playing us next season while getting the opportunity to punch a horse.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ant said:

I was looking at a mini crawl of Hop Locker (South Bank), then (in as-yet undefined order) The Harp, Craft Beer Co Covent Garden and The Lyric. Then on to Marylebone for the train to Wembley.

The Harp’s a good pub. Hop Head amongst others. But take a look at opening times. Sunday opening tends to be 12 noon. If, like Sue (and me) you are coming into Victoria station, there are two Wetherspoons which open early. There’s one on Victoria station concourse and another just outside the station on Wilton Rd. It’s Wetherspoons but they’re both ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

How likely are they to counter this by sacrificing a forward for an extra man in midfield?

3 minutes ago, Graffito said:

How likely are they to counter this by sacrificing a forward for an extra man in midfield?

They could try it I guess, but it’d mean playing a system they’re not as familiar with, and put even less pressure on our tactic of playing out from the back.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic