Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

1 hour ago, ant said:

Hmm, bought mine first thing Sunday and no sign yet (Southampton-based).

Two more postal days yet, granted. But the club do love inflicting additional pain (and workload) upon themselves, don't they?

Not had mine either - but think it's 3 postal days yet?

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

You were certainly on the right lines. Hope you get the tickets you're looking for.

I was ready at just before 1 o'clock logged in, waited and it put me through and then got Error message. So went out and waited 40 more minutes but of course all were sold. 

My friend got the same message but waited a little bit and it seemed to refresh itself and then let him in!! So i've been a tad unlucky, got on only to be thwarted as the last tickets went on Sunday and then got on early only to be rejected. 

59 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Not had mine either - but think it's 3 postal days yet?

Good point - had in my head that Saturday post isn't a thing any more. That's what comes of a mindset too focussed on commerical post & couriers. Clearly need a holiday. 😅

4 hours ago, LGTL said:

Looks like there are extras at 7.50, 8.50 and 9.50. All starting from Southampton and only stopping at Parkway and Winchester. 

That is correct they are replacing the 30 mins past Portsmouth to London trains. They will be 10 carriages apart from the 9.50 which will be 12.

• Like 1

I live further to the East so will be getting the Victoria train, so I hope that runs ok and has seats. I'll break my journey somewhere to have a drink or two, don't know where yet but maybe a Sam Smith's or 'Spoons to avoid the London prices.

Wembley allow crutches so that's a positive. Can walk without it, but it's a long day with a fair bit of walking inevitable.

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Can’t see Che or Sick Note in training photos 

I doubt either of them will be fit to feature in any meaningful way.

Yeah Adams clearly isn't injured. He just won't scupper the move he's been after for well over a year. With no Stewart either, I think we'll really struggle. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't buy it. If Adams is fit and this was a meaningless end of season dead rubber I can understand him not playing. But for one of the most important matches in our history it would make no sense for the club to let him sit out if fit because of a potential move to Wolves. And I don't think he's the type to throw his toys out of the pram and refuse to play at Wembley.

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Yeah Adams clearly isn't injured. He just won't scupper the move he's been after for well over a year. With no Stewart either, I think we'll really struggle. 

God you're a fucking bag of optimism, aren't you!? Hope I'm not near you at Wembley.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ant said:

Hmm, bought mine first thing Sunday and no sign yet (Southampton-based).

Two more postal days yet, granted. But the club do love inflicting additional pain (and workload) upon themselves, don't they?

Look on the bright side, your postie will enjoy the game

9 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

God you're a fucking bag of optimism, aren't you!? Hope I'm not near you at Wembley.

Luckily my opinion has no bearing on the final outcome. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

My ticket is definitely going to be delivered tomorrow.

Yeah right !!!!!   Wish I had your faith.  mine will probably arrive Monday 🫤🫣

Edited by 64saint

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Do you think we can win this without them?

Think no Adams would be a massive blow. We were struggling to make much stick up front against WBA over two legs until we went ahead and Leeds are miles better. I fesr a bit that we will get hemmed in at times and they have the forwards to be a threat.

Also think it makes our sub pool look a lot less impactful, especially as this could easily go to ET.

Even if Adams could do a 20min cameo it would hwlp but he clearly isnt really fit (hobbled off at Elland Road) and if he isnt training and hasnt for nearly 3 weeks then would he be much use anyway?

Its definitely a big blow and puts lot of pressure on Brooks to have a good game and he has been patchy.

Edited by Dusic
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

I notice that when I forst looked to buy tickets today it stated that they would NOT be posted out and you have to collect from the Stadium

Mine hasn't come so i rang the Club. They said the mailing is nothing to do with the Club, some franchise does it.
They said if it doesn't come on Friday, ring the Club, they can arrange copy to be collected at Stadium. So keep you booking number handy.

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

I don't buy it. If Adams is fit and this was a meaningless end of season dead rubber I can understand him not playing. But for one of the most important matches in our history it would make no sense for the club to let him sit out if fit because of a potential move to Wolves. And I don't think he's the type to throw his toys out of the pram and refuse to play at Wembley.

If Adam’s is fit he’ll play… regardless if a deal lined up… if he refuses to play I imagine SFC will make that extremely clear and he’d be absolutely destroyed by fans.  I’d suggest that SFC are not going to give anything away until virtually before kick off. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ScandiSaint said:

Really hoping VAR won't be a definitive factor on Sunday and we can confidentially celebrate a goal and enjoy the moment. Hope its not in whichever division we're in next season. 

We'd have celebrated a goal and enjoyed the moment in 2017 if we had VAR.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, LGTL said:

Adams has been injured. His absence has got nothing to do with his move. With or without Stewart we will be strong.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I'm getting married on the Monday, so 'cannot' attend Wembley despite a number of last ditch attempts from mates.

However, will be watching the game with a number of skates up in the Cotswolds and one other Saints fan...

Could be a fun weekend 🙃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monk said:

I'm getting married on the Monday, so 'cannot' attend Wembley despite a number of last ditch attempts from mates.

However, will be watching the game with a number of skates up in the Cotswolds and one other Saints fan...

Could be a fun weekend 🙃

You can get married any day, the play-off final is only this Sunday. Just say you're having second thoughts and need some time, a few days later you've realised she's the one for you and are ready to rearrange. 

Just check the Euro fixtures before doing so. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Monk said:

Could be a fun weekend 🙃

So if Saints win then Monday will be the second best day of your life?

4 hours ago, Monk said:

Could be a fun weekend 🙃

Need to get your priorities right mate. 

😉👍

6 hours ago, Monk said:

Could be a fun weekend 🙃

At least I picked the 4th May to get married when the game meant nothing. You’ve picked the wrong Leeds game there…

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

You can get married any day, the play-off final is only this Sunday. Just say you're having second thoughts and need some time, a few days later you've realised she's the one for you and are ready to rearrange. 

Just check the Euro fixtures before doing so. 

Not rocket science is it. 

My wife was over the moon when I booked her a romantic weekend in London last August. Although she did not fully understand why we couldn't go and see Carmen on Sunday rather than Saturday as she preferred 😇

She does now 😁

Edited by Yorkshire Saint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

What's all this nonsense about Adams not wanting to play because of a potential transfer?

A) No player is turning down the opportunity to play at Wembley

B) He's still got the Euros after this

It's exactly that 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Will Rishi still be there given the impending General Election? That's what I'm most interested in. The whole day will feel a bit of a damp squib if he isn't there 🫠

Well, I won't have to start that bipartisan chant of "Election Now!"

2 hours ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Will Rishi still be there given the impending General Election? That's what I'm most interested in. The whole day will feel a bit of a damp squib if he isn't there 🫠

I wouldn't worry about it.  He's soon going to have plenty of free time on his hands to attend games.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t mind admitting that I am going to have difficulty coping with the emotional intensity of this match.

I’m sure there are others with similar feelings. With that in mind I thought I’d put down some thoughts about how I’m planning to cope with the downsides. ( and if we win tbf!) From someone with experience 😎

One can get so emotionally invested - a football match outcome somehow transforms into life or death - and that in turn can mean you can feel joyously elated - or very down indeed. It can get heavy. 

The latter is particularly an issue as it can easily migrate to impact the rest of your daily life - if it’s not managed. It’s not fun. Good mental health is vital not optional - but so few of us do any mental health exercise! 

I’ve had to do a lot of mental exercise work personally to manage myself, not always successfully, and I’ve been lucky to have a brilliant knowledgable expert wife plus compassionate understanding friends -  but this Play off Final is going to be a massive test for me. 

Just for context I have had serious cancer surgery and survived it - but it never scared or stressed me like watching saints can! 

My current coping mechanism for this match is to try imagining the positives that arise out of defeat at Wembley.
: Loads of goals and wins to celebrate next year at SmS.

Probably smash the league.

Another is to reframe the situation and put it into a longer time frame than just one match ( ie its just part of a saints long term renaissance win or lose),  

:another is to look closer at the down sides of winning - VAR means you don't know if you scored or not- then there is the unfairness of the wealth gap Man City etc are super wealthy and we will never compete, basically it’s can we get to top ten at best….

All this versus the unbridled happiness of getting promoted at Wembley.m this Sunday surrounded by 40,000 fellow Saints all happy.

One day of joy, maybe , followed by a horrid year like Burnley just had. Or Sheff Utd.
: OR a day of sour sad defeat but a year of entertaining fun football lots of goals as compensation. 

Trying to keep emotionally untangled from the outcome either way is my best mechanism. Plus try not to drink more than one or two beers as that can weaken the resolve! 

All in all it will be hard.

I hope that other Saints out there who maybe know what I’m talking about get some help out of this and if anyone wants to chat offline about how to cope with Wembley let me know as am always happy to help fellow saints 😇

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 11

27 minutes ago, Saintbarry235 said:

What time is everyone thinking of arriving at Wembley ? I’m planning on arriving at 11am to soak up all the atmosphere, anyone think that’s too early ? 

Ideally no earlier than 2pm, for me. Would prefer to booze in the city and just arrive in time for the buildup. Although if my ticket doesn't turn up soon my hand may be forced on earlier.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I don’t mind admitting that I am going to have difficulty coping with the emotional intensity of this match.

I’m sure there are others with similar feelings. With that in mind I thought I’d put down some thoughts about how I’m planning to cope with the downsides. ( and if we win tbf!) From someone with experience 😎

One can get so emotionally invested - a football match outcome somehow transforms into life or death - and that in turn can mean you can feel joyously elated - or very down indeed. It can get heavy. 

The latter is particularly an issue as it can easily migrate to impact the rest of your daily life - if it’s not managed. It’s not fun. Good mental health is vital not optional - but so few of us do any mental health exercise! 

I’ve had to do a lot of mental exercise work personally to manage myself, not always successfully, and I’ve been lucky to have a brilliant knowledgable expert wife plus compassionate understanding friends -  but this Play off Final is going to be a massive test for me. 

Just for context I have had serious cancer surgery and survived it - but it never scared or stressed me like watching saints can! 

My current coping mechanism for this match is to try imagining the positives that arise out of defeat at Wembley.
: Loads of goals and wins to celebrate next year at SmS.

Probably smash the league.

Another is to reframe the situation and put it into a longer time frame than just one match ( ie its just part of a saints long term renaissance win or lose),  

:another is to look closer at the down sides of winning - VAR means you don't know if you scored or not- then there is the unfairness of the wealth gap Man City etc are super wealthy and we will never compete, basically it’s can we get to top ten at best….

All this versus the unbridled happiness of getting promoted at Wembley.m this Sunday surrounded by 40,000 fellow Saints all happy.

One day of joy, maybe , followed by a horrid year like Burnley just had. Or Sheff Utd.
: OR a day of sour sad defeat but a year of entertaining fun football lots of goals as compensation. 

Trying to keep emotionally untangled from the outcome either way is my best mechanism. Plus try not to drink more than one or two beers as that can weaken the resolve! 

All in all it will be hard.

I hope that other Saints out there who maybe know what I’m talking about get some help out of this and if anyone wants to chat offline about how to cope with Wembley let me know as am always happy to help fellow saints 😇

Well thought out and well worded post.

The playoff’s are emotionally draining, for players, staff and fans alike.

I for one can admit I am massively nervous. The Premier League is where we want to be, it’s not where we’ll get regular success on the pitch, at least in the short term, but it is where we need to be if SR are to continue their “vision”.

Mentally, I can accept defeat, but I’m not looking forward at to the dejection if we are on the wrong side of the result on Sunday. 

It’ll be hard straight away to see the positives from staying in the Championship for another season, undoubtedly seeing some quality players leave, but the hope lies that we might still be able to put together a quality team to challenge again next season. Possibly a better chance of promotion considering the standard of teams returning from the EPL?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mikec said:

I wouldn't worry about it.  He's soon going to have plenty of free time on his hands to attend games.

He wants to buy into the club... So come July 5th...

Edited by Saint86

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic