Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Why on Earth are we not playing in our home kit?

Both teams have white socks in their home kit, so EFL rules say it's not allowed. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Bugger - will be torn between red n white and my black shirt now! 🙄

I know…black shirt…red n white scarf. Done.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
After thought…
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Seems bonkers. Can't we wear red and white socks?

You'd think there could be special dispensation for a final... but no. Because we don't have red socks in any of our three registered kits that were approved pre-season, we cannot do it. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

You'd think there could be special dispensation for a final... but no. Because we don't have red socks in any of our three registered kits that were approved pre-season, we cannot do it. 

spacer.png

Could we wear the socks from the black kit?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, saintant said:

Could we wear the socks from the black kit?

If I'm interpreting the rules correctly, the answer would be no, because the EFL would judge that we could just wear our third kit without a clash or needing to ask to adjust kits.

I think if we could show all regular kit options had clashes then they would consider letting us mix and match and bring a new colour (the yellow on the socks) into the home kit (red/white/black). Swansea were only allowed to wear pink socks with their white home kit at SMS because all three of their kits would ordinarily clash with ours.

Edited by CSA96

9 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

spacer.png

What a load of bollocks

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

spacer.png

We can't register a new kit component mid-season, but there's still no reason why we can't play in white socks. The EFL rules don't strictly prohibit that, and the FA rules just say that the two teams must wear colours "that distinguish them from each other".

In recent times I've watched Man Utd and Man City play each other wearing white shorts:

Screenshot_20240520_182948_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6c1cd22e180906808e647259a1fca668.jpg

and Newcastle v Sunderland when both teams wore their home kits that include white stripes and black shorts:

Screenshot_20240520_183159_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d7a61ce5878552e3c28aafb68965ba33.jpg

Essentially it's down to the referee to make sure he's happy. There is genuinely no good reason we couldn't wear our home kit with white shorts, because the two kits would still be sufficiently distinguishable from each other to the officials, crowd and TV audience.

This is solely a club decision and not at the direction of the EFL.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If it is a Saints thing then why did Swansea have to wear pink socks at SMS to avoid a clash with our white socks and why did Birmingham have to wear that god-awful blue shirts and shorts with orange socks combo? And then you had Albion wearing navy socks at SMS just the other night too

Edited by CSA96

Id be upset about us wearing our third kit if our home kit was proper Red and White stripes, but the current half red/half pink kit is shite.

That said, this is all about the club wanting to shift black kits and nothing to do with regulations. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

If it's a Saints thing then why did Swansea have to wear pink socks at SMS to avoid a clash with our white socks and why did Birmingham have to wear that god-awful blue shirts and shorts with orange socks combo? And then you had Albion wearing navy socks at SMS just the other night too.

It's an EFL fixture and it's governed by the EFL rules.

But the EFL rules don't explicitly state that teams can't wear socks of the same colour. Only that we can't register a new design mid-season. Outside of that, everything else is governed by the FA laws.

WBA could have worn their full lime coloured away kit with no clashes, but they were obviously allowed to play in their home shirt and shorts and socks from their 3rd kit because they preferred to wear mostly their home strip.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

We're run by a vacuum cleaner salesman who decided to flog £20 memberships for one match.

Of course he's going to pick a kit they can clear out of their stockroom ahead of the Puma switchover.

We don't buy success, we sell overstock of shirts #wemarchon

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

We can't register a new kit component mid-season, but there's still no reason why we can't play in white socks. The EFL rules don't strictly prohibit that, and the FA rules just say that the two teams must wear colours "that distinguish them from each other".

In recent times I've watched Man Utd and Man City play each other wearing white shorts:

Screenshot_20240520_182948_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6c1cd22e180906808e647259a1fca668.jpg

and Newcastle v Sunderland when both teams wore their home kits that include white stripes and black shorts:

Screenshot_20240520_183159_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d7a61ce5878552e3c28aafb68965ba33.jpg

Essentially it's down to the referee to make sure he's happy. There is genuinely no good reason we couldn't wear our home kit with white shorts, because the two kits would still be sufficiently distinguishable from each other to the officials, crowd and TV audience.

I’ve often wondered if there is a financial incentive to give each kit a set number of, or even a few extra airings during the season.

Why for example do we wear white at Cardiff and a couple of other places (Hull springs to mind)  or Plymouth ditch their green when they played us ? Leeds changed at Saints, Swansea still wore white.

More ridiculous was in the EPL, Man City, and Wolves changing kits at Saints. 

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

I’ve often wondered if there is a financial incentive to give each kit a set number of, or even a few extra airings during the season.

Why for example do we wear white at Cardiff and a couple of other places (Hull springs to mind)  or Plymouth ditch their green when they played us ? Leeds changed at Saints, Swansea still wore white.

It tends to be tied into some of the kit deals. Had some experience of this in a line of work before and a lot of the times it's actually almost deferred to the kit-maker to make the decision, or at very least the club makes the decision with a contractually-agreed quota of appearances for each kit which they work to.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

But the EFL rules don't explicitly state that teams can't wear socks of the same colour. Only that we can't register a new design mid-season. Outside of that, everything else is governed by the FA laws.

WBA could have worn their full lime coloured away kit with no clashes, but they were obviously allowed to play in their home shirt and shorts and socks from their 3rd kit because they preferred to wear mostly their home strip.

In which case, I suppose the issue (from an EFL perspective) is then that WBA had suitable socks immediately available in another registered and EFL-approved kit (because the alternate kit is navy) whereas Saints don't, because our other sock options are turquoise or yellow and black. So if an FA official pushes back on white socks, there's not an immediate fix other than totally changing the kit selection.

Still, a shame common sense can't be used around these rules to enable them to flex kit rules when it absolutely will not negatively impact the officials or the opponent. Having both teams in their primary colours for the EFL's #1 showpiece game would be better optics (even if ultimately meaningless)

I quite like the black and yellow kit anyway, but I can see why it disappoints people for Saints to not be in red and white.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

got my tickets from stadium today and it’s gone through on my card but I haven’t had a confirmation email and it’s not showing on my recent purchases still. Anyone had the same problem? 

It’s ridiculous, common sense goes out the window, we have black socks ffs just use them! The whole of our end will be red and white yet we don’t do the same, it’s marketing, just look at the kit AFCB had v Chelsea, unbelievable, was blue! it shouldn’t be a case of trying to flog more kits as we are having new soon anyhow, I really would love to be in charge of kits selection at our club, we get it badly wrong every season but this is a nonsense , use our third away socks!!! 

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought Brooks was unplayable at times against WBA, great movement off the ball and great running with it. He plays IMO.

He was very good but it's horses for courses and Adams bullied their centre backs up at Elland Road. I'd like to think he could do the same again. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

What’s this obsession with the fucking kit?

Not even gonna dignify that with a proper answer. Why are you bothering to support us if that is your attitude? 

clown 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, JCBSaint said:

Not even gonna dignify that with a proper answer. Why are you bothering to support us if that is your attitude? 

clown 

Hey the colour of the socks won’t spoil my day. But all clubs have some boring bastards as supporters 

• Like 1

Unlike the FA Cup Final where the vast majority went in yellow, do you reckon it'll mainly be red and white in the stands? Notwithstanding those that have or buy the black kit, trying to get everyone to turn up in that colour seems a bit too sobering.

18 minutes ago, saintstowin said:

Unlike the FA Cup Final where the vast majority went in yellow, do you reckon it'll mainly be red and white in the stands? Notwithstanding those that have or buy the black kit, trying to get everyone to turn up in that colour seems a bit too sobering.

Yeah just go red and white

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Hey the colour of the socks won’t spoil my day. But all clubs have some boring bastards as supporters 

Yeah a lot of the boring bastards even go on forums reading about the kit and replying to people that actually have a bit of pride in the history of the club! I just think it’s pretty simple for both teams to wear pretty much HOME colours. As you say you don’t a toss so I will leave it there. Although I am boring for caring I have better things to do now. 

come on you reds …. See what I did there. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I’m sure one season when Cortese was here we had 3 kits but the 3rd one as completely unnecessary as there was no team that clashed with either our first or second kit. I think we wore it twice that season anyway 

• Like 1

I agree that Saints being in our home shirt would have been preferable and don’t really understand how a sensible change of socks couldn’t have facilitated that. 

Really looking forward to following up Friday’s amazing atmosphere with this huge game. Should be a fantastic day and I just hope we can take that final step and win promotion on Sunday. Let’s bring the same energy and hope for the best in this 50/50 lottery. Up the Saints 😇

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

What about fans with a black and white TV ?

52 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

It's an interesting debate about the socks, we should do more of that stuff and less about the match.

Fully agree. Forget line ups and formations,  Important subject colour of the socks 🙄

How can fans be colourful supporters of a team in black? . The Club always says the support is important and matters to the players, well, black doesn't help. Leeds fans will outdo us

16 minutes ago, Saint In Cornwall said:

Interestingly the envelope is marked “Advanced First Class”image.thumb.jpg.6749d3930245a757c7a64675af91a574.jpg

Just standard rather than signed for? Would make my life easier if so as will be at work.

36 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

How can fans be colourful supporters of a team in black? . The Club always says the support is important and matters to the players, well, black doesn't help. Leeds fans will outdo us

New Trudeau blackface photo lands on eve of Canada election

I had heard a rumour from 2 different people, that there were going to be 1000 more tickets to be released today. I phoned the ticket office and they assured me that was not going to be the case.

So I dont need to sit by the computer checking!!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’m sure one season when Cortese was here we had 3 kits but the 3rd one as completely unnecessary as there was no team that clashed with either our first or second kit. I think we wore it twice that season anyway 

It was 2012-13, we brought in the Liverpool away kit, with white shorts and white socks. The club also said they would never deviate from that, and if there was a shorts and/or socks clash then we wouldn’t wear anything but the white and so would change kit completely. Come Christmas and there hadn’t been a single game where we had worn that kit, in fact I believe the club brought back the yellow kit from the season before just to have a viable third kit. They ended up wearing the kit at home as an FA Cup kit, and we lost (to Chelsea?) and so the fortune of the kit was doomed. It might have hot one or two other airings but it was a complete disaster.

IMG-0078.jpg

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic