Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

There's a surprise, Leeds fans trying to claim everything is about them.

They're always either annoyed that they're not considered a big club any more, or annoyed that they're getting attention. It's no wonder they always seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

Sorry to take so long to get to this, but I just got my account validated.

Leeds fan here to congratulate you all on your victory. You were the better side, not just in the final, but in the other two matches during the course of the year. Promotion was well deserved.

Best of luck next year and we'll see you again in 2025 when we get promoted.

• Like 23

10 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

There's a surprise, Leeds fans trying to claim everything is about them.

They're always either annoyed that they're not considered a big club any more, or annoyed that they're getting attention. It's no wonder they always seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

To be fair Love will tear us apart = Leeds are falling apart plus I predict a riot is a Leeds song. So maybe it isn’t them making it about them 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

To be fair Love will tear us apart = Leeds are falling apart plus I predict a riot is a Leeds song. So maybe it isn’t them making it about them 

You mean Che Adams’ song this season and one of the most generic ‘crowd goes wild’ songs in the history of music?

It’s like if we were claiming that Leeds using a Coldplay song for something was all about us.

Posted (edited)

Still reliving this - what a day. Best day of my saints supporting life 35 years on. This thread should never be forgotten. We watch a lot of dross but magic moments like this…….

Edited by Sir Ralph

Posted (edited)

Playoff Champions 26.05.24
SAINTS 1 LEEDS UNITED 0 

For nearly half a century, generations of Saints supporters have carried the burden of never quite reaching the heights of 76. Wembley, 78 & 92 were both 3-2 defeats to Forest & another 3-2 defeat painfully to Man U in 2017, and before this in 2003 the defeat to Arsenal in our only FA Cup final since 76. There was the minor glory of winning the competition that we seemed embarrassed as a fan base to be in, but that’s where we were at the time, with a 4-1 win over Carlisle (now my home city). Saying this it was a little bit of glory. 

But now we have a new legend for the new generation. Saturday May 1st 76 was an extraordinary day. But with the West Brom game and the playoff final we had a most extraordinary week. It was perhaps apt that we marked 40 years since our greatest ever team of 83-84 fell just short of top flight champions glory. 

The match itself was mostly shear agony, where I can honestly say I only enjoyed the goal and the final whistle. I didn’t really dare to believe while we were painfully ticking in slow motion to the 90 minutes. When the stadium clock finally crawled its way to 101 after the 9 + 2 minutes of stoppage time and the final whistle sounded I reached for the sky with both hands aloft and screamed yes at the top of my lungs, and the tears just naturally followed out of sheer emotion of the day, but the 2nd half in particular. I have to say I was quite emotional after 40 years of supporting Saints this was the pinnacle, and with the pandemonium going on around me, I hugged my son and my wife, along with many other strangers and familiar faces around me. There were supporters on the floor, falling over seats and just celebrating in sheer disbelief that we had only gone and done it! . 

We headed off from Carlisle shortly after 7am on the 5 hour journey to Wembley, and with one stop for the toilets and a tea and coffee we arrived at the pink Southampton car park, and it was nice at last to be among our own, have spent 2/3 hours with other Leeds fans on the M6 and M1 and through to Wembley on their side. We wandered about for a while, bought my son a flag (which fell apart before kick off, only to find we had free ones on our seats, so £10 well spent. We headed in through the turnstiles early, and grabs chicken and chips, after a remortgage, but money was not going to get in the way of the day. 

We spent around £68 on the adult tickets and they were just to the right about 10 rows up from the front, behind the goal, really good seats where we were able to stand for the full game. The view was great and the stadium was filling with red and white. My son’s face was picture, just in jaw dropping for him. He kept saying he just wanted to see Saints lift a trophy at last, in his 2nd full season of supporting Saints, oh the hardship! 

The whole buildup to the game had been largely a media love-in with Leeds. And that complacency seemed to have seeped into their fans who seemed to believe they merely had to turn up to win. Not the first time we have experienced as the Man U fans at Wembley in 2017 were the same. 

The starting team was unchanged from the one that started at home against West Brom. Both teams had special transfers on their shirts to mark the occasion that almost ran to essays. Mr Brooks was in charge and he had a reasonable game, only getting suckered by Leeds diving a couple of times. 

The atmosphere inside Wembley had reached an absolute crescendo by 3pm. The early pattern of the game felt a bit like West Brom away. Leeds seemed to settle more easily into the game and looked like they were going to pull us all over the place. We relied on some great work by KWP, Bednarek and Downes to keep us in the game. We were also fortunate then when Leeds did work any sort of opening they had no finish. Gradually, Saints worked up some attacking momentum. Armstrong came in from the left but couldn’t quite set up Smallbone. Then we had a free-kick in a great position. Smallbone hit the target, drawing a rather Hollywood save from Meslier. Then in the 24th minute came the moment we had dreamed of. The ball was played around the back to Smallbone who executed a slide rule pass into the right channel. Armstrong had acres of space with the defenders in white shirts having gone missing on his side while playing him onside on the other. He ran forward and from an acute angle delivered a shot with pace and power almost through the keeper into the far corner of the net. For a few seconds breaths were held in anticipation of a VAR call. It never came and joy was unconfined. The Leeds support was visibly shattered. It was time to stand firm. And the team did it so well, with McCarthy a rock of authority. 

There have been many times when I have doubted the character of the team. Today though you had no doubt that every one of them was ready to leave everything on the pinch. Brooks went down after a challenge on the touchline. He had clearly hurt his shoulder and was in real pain. He came back on the pitch but was playing while holding his arm at an awkward angle. It was probably a tactic to allow a sub to get ready. Because within a few moments Edozie was on, while Brooks had to walk all the way round the pitch past the Saints fans to the bench. As halftime approached we went so close to a second goal. A well worked freekick by Smallbone found Armstrong in the penalty area. He skewed a shot across goal that the keeper could only push away and THB couldn’t quite reach the rebound. 

We were expecting a major Leeds assault on our goal for the second half. Indeed, this was a game in which possession was surrendered. But we contested so well that the favourites got very few clear chances. It would have been a nightmare to see Gnonto scoring. That vision evaporated as he departed the pitch in the 66th, probably for the last time as a Leeds player. He was replaced by the rather more troublesome James. It was also a real boost when Summerville, apparently the second coming, was taken off well before the end. The Wee Man had run himself out and was replaced by Che Adams. He added some ball stickability up front but nearly cost us with a moment of madness when defending, conceding a foul in a dangerous position and getting a yellow card. A rare break put Edozie away. He opted for a spectacular bending shot into the far corner rather than just hitting the target and the ball looped wide. Not long after he looked to be struggling with an injury and was replaced by Manning. When James thrashed in a shot from the edge of the penalty area our Premier League future seemed to be vanishing before our eyes. Gloriously it crashed away off the bar and you could feel the belief in our side was suddenly reinforced. The same player also got in a decent low shot that McCarthy dived to his left to push away in a way that Bazunu might have struggled with. 

The count down to the final whistle was underway when there was a nasty clash of heads between KWP and James. After long treatment that took us past the 90 both emerged. There was 9 minutes to add on and our players would not be denied now and they chased and harried everything so the clock was run down without too much drama. Seeing 101 on the clock, Armstrong went early, whipping off his shirt. But anyway, with seconds the final whistle did sound.       As did the realization that “we are Premier League”. The celebrations were unbelievable. Perhaps the thing I will always remember is the uninhibited dance along with Freed from Desire. I said to my son that he should remember how this feels, because it happens so rarely to Saints. It was brilliant to see the players, manager and supporters celebrating as one. There were many times I doubted the manager, but without doubt he has delivered the mission he was given. Jack Stephens went up to collect the trophy, and watching his interviews after the game he was struggling to hold back the tears, like all of us. I felt like I never wanted to leave. 

Eventually we had to go and had a very easy exit from the car park and London, and 5 hours back to Carlisle, all on cloud 9. We saw many Leeds fans who most that said anything congratulated us and said we deserved it, so hats off to them.

We actually exist again in the eyes of the media now we are back in the premier league, and no matter what those blue lot say and how they act, they will be extremely gutted that we are just staying a step ahead of themI.

Now well we can enjoy the summer and just be happy to be Saints, in this little bit of success, which brought the club, fans and players together in the end. What a day, what a memory, one that I never wanted to end. 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Playoff Champions 26.05.24
SAINTS 1 LEEDS UNITED 0 

For nearly half a century, generations of Saints supporters have carried the burden of never quite reaching the heights of 76. Wembley, 78 & 92 were both 3-2 defeats to Forest & another 3-2 defeat painfully to Man U in 2017, and before this in 2003 the defeat to Arsenal in our only FA Cup final since 76. There was the minor glory of winning the competition that we seemed embarrassed as a fan base to be in, but that’s where we were at the time, with a 4-1 win over Carlisle (now my home city). Saying this it was a little bit of glory. 

But now we have a new legend for the new generation. Saturday May 1st 76 was an extraordinary day. But with the West Brom game and the playoff final we had a most extraordinary week. It was perhaps apt that we marked 40 years since our greatest ever team of 83-84 fell just short of top flight champions glory. 

The match itself was mostly shear agony, where I can honestly say I only enjoyed the goal and the final whistle. I didn’t really dare to believe while we were painfully ticking in slow motion to the 90 minutes. When the stadium clock finally crawled its way to 101 after the 9 + 2 minutes of stoppage time and the final whistle sounded I reached for the sky with both hands aloft and screamed yes at the top of my lungs, and the tears just naturally followed out of sheer emotion of the day, but the 2nd half in particular. I have to say I was quite emotional after 40 years of supporting Saints this was the pinnacle, and with the pandemonium going on around me, I hugged my son and my wife, along with many other strangers and familiar faces around me. There were supporters on the floor, falling over seats and just celebrating in sheer disbelief that we had only gone and done it! . 

We I headed off from Carlisle shortly after 7am on the 5 hour journey to Wembley, and with one stop for the toilets and a tea and coffee we arrived at the pink Southampton car park, and it was nice at last to be among our own, have spent 2/3 hours with other Leeds fans on the M6 and M1 and through to Wembley on their side. We wandered about for a while, bought my son a flag (which fell apart before kick off, only to find we had free ones on our seats, so £10 well spent. We headed in through the turnstiles early, and grabs chicken and chips, after a remortgage, but money was not going to get in the way of the day. 

We spent around £68 on the adult tickets and they were just to the right about 10 rows up from the front, really good seats where we were able to stand for the full game. The view was great and the stadium was filling with red and white. My son’s face was picture, just in jaw dropping for him. He kept saying he just wanted to see Saints lift a trophy at last, in his 2nd full season of supporting Saints, oh the hardship! 

The whole buildup to the game had been largely a media love-in with Leeds. And that complacency seemed to have seeped into their fans who seemed to believe they merely had to turn up to win. Not the first time we have experienced as the Man U fans at Wembley in 2017 were the same. 

The starting team was unchanged from the one that started at home against West Brom. Both teams had special transfers on their shirts to mark the occasion that almost ran to essays. Mr Brooks was in charge and he had a reasonable game, only getting suckered by Leeds diving a couple of times. 

The atmosphere inside Wembley had reached an absolute crescendo by 3pm. The early pattern of the game felt a bit like West Brom away. Leeds seemed to settle more easily into the game and looked like they were going to pull us all over the place. We relied on some great work by KWP, Bednarek and Downes to keep us in the game. We were also fortunate then when Leeds did work any sort of opening they had no finish. Gradually, Saints worked up some attacking momentum. Armstrong came in from the left but couldn’t quite set up Smallbone. Then we had a free-kick in a great position. Smallbone hit the target, drawing a rather Hollywood save from Meslier. Then in the 24th minute came the moment we had dreamed of. The ball was played around the back to Smallbone who executed a slide rule pass into the right channel. Armstrong had acres of space with the defenders in white shirts having gone missing on his side while playing him onside on the other. He ran forward and from an acute angle delivered a shot with pace and power almost through the keeper into the far corner of the net. For a few seconds breaths were held in anticipation of a VAR call. It never came and joy was unconfined. The Leeds support was visibly shattered. It was time to stand firm. And the team did it so well, with McCarthy a rock of authority. 

There have been many times when I have doubted the character of the team. Today though you had no doubt that every one of them was ready to leave everything on the pinch. Brooks went down after a challenge on the touchline. He had clearly hurt his shoulder and was in real pain. He came back on the pitch but was playing while holding his arm at an awkward angle. It was probably a tactic to allow a sub to get ready. Because within a few moments Edozie was on, while Brooks had to walk all the way round the pitch past the Saints fans to the bench. As halftime approached we went so close to a second goal. A well worked freekick by Smallbone found Armstrong in the penalty area. He skewed a shot across goal that the keeper could only push away and THB couldn’t quite reach the rebound. 

We were expecting a major Leeds assault on our goal for the second half. Indeed, this was a game in which possession was surrendered. But we contested so well that the favourites got very few clear chances. It would have been a nightmare to see Gnonto scoring. That vision evaporated as he departed the pitch in the 66th, probably for the last time as a Leeds player. He was replaced by the rather more troublesome James. It was also a real boost when Summerville, apparently the second coming, was taken off well before the end. The Wee Man had run himself out and was replaced by Che Adams. He added some ball stickability up front but nearly cost us with a moment of madness when defending, conceding a foul in a dangerous position and getting a yellow card. A rare break put Edozie away. He opted for a spectacular bending shot into the far corner rather than just hitting the target and the ball looped wide. Not long after he looked to be struggling with an injury and was replaced by Manning. When James thrashed in a shot from the edge of the penalty area our Premier League future seemed to be vanishing before our eyes. Gloriously it crashed away off the bar and you could feel the belief in our side was suddenly reinforced. The same player also got in a decent low shot that McCarthy dived to his left to push away in a way that Bazunu might have struggled with. 

The count down to the final whistle was underway when there was a nasty clash of heads between KWP and James. After long treatment that took us past the 90 both emerged. There was 9 minutes to add on and our players would not be denied now and they chased and harried everything so the clock was run down without too much drama. Seeing 101 on the clock, Armstrong went early, whipping off his shirt. But anyway, with seconds the final whistle did sound.       As did the realization that “we are Premier League”. The celebrations were unbelievable. Perhaps the thing I will always remember is the uninhibited dance along with Freed from Desire. I said to my son that he should remember how this feels, because it happens so rarely to Saints. It was brilliant to see the players, manager and supporters celebrating as one. There were many times I doubted the manager, but without doubt he has delivered the mission he was given. Jack Stephens went up to collect the trophy, and watching his interviews after the game he was struggling to hold back the tears, like all of us. I felt like I never wanted to leave. 

Eventually we had to go and had a very easy exit from the car park and London, and 5 hours back to Carlisle, all on cloud 9. We saw many Leeds fans who most that said anything congratulated us and said we deserved it, so hats off to them.

We actually exist again in the eyes of the media now we are back in the premier league, and no matter what those blue lot say and how they act, they will be extremely gutted that we are just staying a step ahead of themI.

Now well we can enjoy the summer and just be happy to be Saints, in this little bit of success, which brought the club, fans and players together in the end. What a day, what a memory, one that I never wanted to end. 

Perfectly put.