Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

Like others I've had Freed from Desire stuck in my head for 2 days and I love it. Will forever associate it with Sunday! 

I think the celebrations at the end with that playing, along with Armstrong tearing his shirt off (twice lol) and sprinting towards the Saints end at the final whistle are the two iconic moments I will forever remember. Plus the goal obviously.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

I am livid, just had to go all the way back to John Lewis to return the brand new 65 inch tv to watch the Prem season 24/25, it had no Leeds. 

Sorry, someone has already done that one I guess. 

I saw another I liked which was similar. Presumably from a Wednesday fan.

"Premier League mower for sale. Leeds and Blades not included".

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have it on very good authority that Leeds got slightly ahead of themselves.

Ipswich hired two open top buses ahead of their last game but held off getting the vinyl done and kept them locked away as a secret until promotion was achieved.

Leeds hired the same pair of buses and spent approx £50k on having them both wrapped with promotion messages....last week.

Can anyone else hear the sound of buses reversing?...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Love the shot of the fans from the far end of the stadium during freed from desire.

We're all in there somewhere. 

• Like 1

Cracking images at 9:17 of Jack trying to console Ampadu.  And then Jack's reaction seeing him screaming and hammering the turf while walking away.  Those few seconds encapsulate what sport is all about - and what being a Saints fan is all about; just think - that could have been THB on the floor in tears and all of us quietly leaving the ground shortly after the final whistle.  I still can't believe we won the most lucrative football match in history!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

That Pitchside Unseen was a bit emotional 😂 phew..........some great scenes in there, loved that.

They managed to capture me & the nipper like rabbits in the headlights at 101 mins & then hugging each other as the final whistle goes :)

Edited by warsash saint

2 minutes ago, View From The Top said:

I've been to an awful lot of Saints games over five decades but nothing, nothing compares to that roar and celebration at the final whistle.

The lower tier was utterly insane.

Exactly that !

• Like 1

Still wallowing in the glory.

The goal itself is fucking beautiful.  From a goal kick restart, a couple of recycles, patience from Bellisimo before sliding the ball into Flynniesta, a stunning first time pass to Smallbonio, who in turn megs Firpo (I think) through to Arma to finish like R9.  FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!!  

Most of the replays show from the Bellisimo ball to Flynniesta but it's worth taking a look from the restart.

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

https://x.com/southamptonfc/status/1795802271327912065?s=46&t=-15mt97kEvgVlSfEAcSc2w

The entire sequence for the goal. You forget how good it was, so many passes before the final killer through ball.

Love the way Flynn Downes kids on that he's not looking to receive the ball so Leeds don't spot the danger - you see him have a quick glance to weigh up what is on ahead of him then bang, he steps into a small pocket of space to receive from THB and fizzes a quick pass round the corner to Will who is well aware that Arma is waiting for the killer pass and he slides him in beautifully.  Lots of little nuances that create a very well worked goal. Arma's movement is brilliant because early in the move he can be seen lurking in the left half of the pitch but he makes a clever sideways run to receive from Will. I think the only two players who had no touches in the whole build up were Alex and Wee Man.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 3

The support in the last three games was phenomenal if it had been liverpool or Pompey fans we’d never have heard the end of it. The home play off semi and Wembley were as good as any support I’ve seen in the country We can do it scummers! Let’s hope we can carry it on next season 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Still wallowing in the glory.

The goal itself is fucking beautiful.  From a goal kick restart, a couple of recycles, patience from Bellisimo before sliding the ball into Flynniesta, a stunning first time pass to Smallbonio, who in turn megs Firpo (I think) through to Arma to finish like R9.  FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!!  

Most of the replays show from the Bellisimo ball to Flynniesta but it's worth taking a look from the restart.

No 4, Ampadu.

Even better than I remember. What I didn’t appreciate at the time was the way that AA struck the ball. He was leaning slightly to the right and clipped the ball across into the far side. A very difficult shot to read if you’re a goalkeeper.

45 years of watching Saints ,always hoping one day I'd get the chance to finally see my team win a Major final ,not a JPT,but a really major , massive final ,one that really matters.Still convinced we were going to blow it as the match entered it's final moments,I will never forget the shear outpouring of relief and joy at the final whistle that we'd finally done it.I don't think any future match will ever come close to producing that emotion again.So proud of the team and the fans for the stunning support and I feel so privileged and lucky to have been there.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, rallyboy said:

I have it on very good authority that Leeds got slightly ahead of themselves.

Ipswich hired two open top buses ahead of their last game but held off getting the vinyl done and kept them locked away as a secret until promotion was achieved.

Leeds hired the same pair of buses and spent approx £50k on having them both wrapped with promotion messages....last week.

Can anyone else hear the sound of buses reversing?...

leespoons-cliff-richard.gif

Yep. Still buzzing here too. I've lost count of the times I've watched that goal. I still keep panicking every time I watch it, that he's going to miss it and I'll suddenly wake up from a beautiful dream.........screaming!

• Like 2

Is it just me or is everyone rewatching the match multiple times?! It is amazing watching it back knowing what happened, just how comfortable we actually were in the last 10 minutes. The GK and defence were absolutely magnificent and the celebrations after were just incredible. I get teary eyed everytime - especially when they are all  walking up the steps and receiving the trophy. I imagine its feeling you dont really get as a supporter of a Big 6 team as it happens so often. For us all it just seems so special.

• Like 5

The last 3 games there has been an absolute, unbreakable, connection between the players, manager and us the fans.

It was a good atmosphere away at the Baggies, it was off the scale in the 2nd leg and on Sunday, truth be told, I didn't know our fanbase had that in them. That was absolutely immense from start to finish.

The lower tier, behind the goal where we were was absolute insanity. Bodies were everywhere, and people crying, I was on a seat and I have no recollection of getting up there. 

This wasn't "little old Southampton", this was a fanbase showing the world that can match anyone in England when we want to.

• Like 20

Posted (edited)

In line with some of you ( above) ..I've spent a few hours looking back at various highlights throughout the season ..on  YOU TUBE ,

and one thing became blatantly obvious when I watched our League game v. Leeds at SMS . back in September when we won 3-1. 

TWO almost identical goals from Adam Armstrong that beat the Leeds offside trap........and guess what?... his winning goal at Wembley

was the same move and the same execution.    A low ball past the keeper and inside the far post. 

Clearly,  Leeds only have themselves to blame when allowing our leading scorer the space to repeat the move that had beaten them twice before. 

Edited by david in sweden

On 29/05/2024 at 19:14, Saint NL said:

https://x.com/southamptonfc/status/1795802271327912065?s=46&t=-15mt97kEvgVlSfEAcSc2w

The entire sequence for the goal. You forget how good it was, so many passes before the final killer through ball.

What a fantastic goal. 

Obviously some fans are not keen on the slow possession based game, don't like the `risky' passing in and out of our box, and in general want to see us get forward far quicker more often...and their are merits to their arguments, but when a passing move from back to front comes off, it sure looks pretty.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, View From The Top said:

The last 3 games there has been an absolute, unbreakable, connection between the players, manager and us the fans.

It was a good atmosphere away at the Baggies, it was off the scale in the 2nd leg and on Sunday, truth be told, I didn't know our fanbase had that in them. That was absolutely immense from start to finish.

The lower tier, behind the goal where we were was absolute insanity. Bodies were everywhere, and people crying, I was on a seat and I have no recollection of getting up there. 

This wasn't "little old Southampton", this was a fanbase showing the world that can match anyone in England when we want to.

Couldn't agree more with all of this. Dare I say it, its actually kind of got me leaning towards a touch of excitiment for the 'Northam Wall', before we're reminded of the general match day experience of the PL. 

I think a lot of credit has to go to Phil Parsons - He seems to 'get it'.

Second leg against WBA and Sunday, are 2 atmospheres I can't remember seeing from saints in all my time of supporting them. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, View From The Top said:

I would add the Leeds away game to that list - with nothing riding on it, i expected most fans to not bother travelling the near 500 miles!.

However away end was full, fans were superb (as the away fans have been all season) & the team put in a performance that set us up for the remaining 3 games!!

Edited by warsash saint

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

What a fantastic goal. 

Obviously some fans are not keen on the slow possession based game, don't like the `risky' passing in and out of our box, and in general want to see us get forward far quicker more often...and their are merits to their arguments, but when a passing move from back to front comes off, it sure looks pretty.

Watching the lead up to the goal for the umpteenth time I realise what a great pass Downes provided to Smallbone who then, in turn produces the sublime assist for AA.    Downes would be/will be such an important signing for Saints.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chez said:

What a fantastic goal. 

The lack of pressure against us, knowing it is how we play, was criminal from Leeds