Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

15 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I saw that when I got home on Sunday. I was quite impressed with his analysis.

He was 100% right. Fraser and KWP outworking their wide players

As an aside, hangover has recovered after a day and a half but voice has now given up the ghost

21 minutes ago, jimmer42 said:

He was 100% right. Fraser and KWP outworking their wide players

As an aside, hangover has recovered after a day and a half but voice has now given up the ghost

Can you believe that I haven’t had any celebratory alcohol yet? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, malcolm waldron said:

Great point.  Was anybody else panicking for a split second about the VAR screen of doom popping up with a 'VAR Check - possible offside' message when AA scored??

Yep, just as I remember looking for a linesman's flag all those years ago.

On 27/05/2024 at 11:11, Lord Duckhunter said:

So you don’t want to see the same team, you actually want someone who couldn’t get in the team, to be in the team…. FFS. 

We need a keeper, left back & a centre forward. Players like Jack, Adam Armstrong, Manning will play an important role in the squad & deserve to be around the club. With players like Rothwell, Brooke’s, Adams & Stu Armstrong leaving there is plenty of scope to bring in 2 or 3 starters. 

Sulemana has had his chance, we need to get rid asap. 

You really should have gone to Specsavers 😂

Strangely for me I was not at all nervous about Leeds equalising. Once we scored I felt that was it, didn't fuss me one bit with all the injury time. Maybe I was more pissed than I realised? 

• Like 5

Still buzzing with the last few weeks. 

People talk about Liverpool, Leeds, etc as having the loudest / most passionate fans. I’ve seen people criticise southerners for being quiet/boring whatever. 

But it’s all bollocks. the last few games the support has been absolutely magnificent. It won’t be talked about anywhere apart from on here or amongst saints fans but it’s been something truly special. 

Hope the new stadium improvements can add even more to it. Up the fucking saints. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

It was used, but there was no ned for a long review of anything. They checked whether THB tackle was in the area for one.

I noticed that the linesmen were more inclined to flag all offsides rather than wait. Maybe they were Championship officials so less used to the VAR process of waiting and letting VAR sort out any marginal issues.

20 hours ago, derry said:

I watched the Leeds v Norwich game and until Norwich's stupidity conceding the free kick goal it was pretty poor. After that the Leeds crowd woke up and Norwich just succumbed. I didnt rate Leeds performance as special but I was hearing and reading that they had suddenly morphed into the free scoring invincibles and that they only had to turn up to reclaim their rightful place in the Premier league.

I just didn't buy that. Apparently us beating them twice didn't rate as a problem together with their end of season implosion and failure to win through the play offs on five occasions.

That's not to say I was confident that we would win through but I just felt we were in better form than Leeds despite the rhetoric regarding the Norwich win. Several games stood out for me as a more accurate indication how the game would go. The away league game v WBA, the away league game v Leeds, The play offs v WBA as I remember we played our three centre backs. For me that was the key. Yesterday proved it. Alex McCarthy had the best game I've seen him play particularly his punching and claiming crosses. The three centre backs gave us three proper defenders plus two wing backs that worked their socks off and nullified the Leeds wide men. the midfield competed and Armstrong was a problem for Leeds all day. It was a shame Brooks was injured and I was surprised that Edozie replaced him. 

The commentators before the game said that the team with the best defence would win and that happened. Fair play to Russell Martin he got his team selection and tactics spot on. The best thing I can say about Saints is that they gave a sublime team performance and did a proper job on Leeds who could easily have lost by more than one goal.

That Norwich game lulled Leeds and media into thinking they were demi gods, truth is Norwich were abject. They arrived with arrogance and their fans likewise and fell into our trap

31 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

I am livid, just had to go all the way back to John Lewis to return the brand new 65 inch tv to watch the Prem season 24/25, it had no Leeds. 

Sorry, someone has already done that one I guess. 

Seen it a few times, but this was a surprise to see :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Colinjb said:

How fantastic it was that VAR was not used or needed at all.

I think the officials must have been told not to referee it as if were a PL game.  There were a few quite close offside calls which, in the PL, they would let play run with the lino keeping the flag down.  Noticeably the flag went up for all of those reasonably tight decisions.  (TBF its one area that massively annoys me in the PL, the abundance of caution when everyone can see its offside but they let play go on anyway).

Also there really weren't many/any really controversial incidents in the game and certainly no blunders from the officials.

Overall it was light touch VAR and I think more people might be sympathetic to using VAR if it could be done more like that.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I think the officials must have been told not to referee it as if were a PL game.  There were a few quite close offside calls which, in the PL, they would let play run with the lino keeping the flag down.  Noticeably the flag went up for all of those reasonably tight decisions.  (TBF its one area that massively annoys me in the PL, the abundance of caution when everyone can see its offside but they let play go on anyway).

Also there really weren't many/any really controversial incidents in the game and certainly no blunders from the officials.

Overall it was light touch VAR and I think more people might be sympathetic to using VAR if it could be done more like that.

Indeed. It’s worth remembering that VAR was welcomed when it was bought in, due to referees making massive blunders that everyone could see in replays a few seconds later. Going right back to that certainly wouldn’t be ideal.

Obviously it’s partly down to the decisions that were thrown VAR’s way on Sunday, but they seemed to strike the right balance of VAR involvement for once.

• Like 2

Not sure Adams has any intention of staying watching him in the post match again. Not just the lack of enthusiasm but also turning his shirt around so his name is facing the cameras instead of the badge...don't like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The noise from the Saints fans in the stadium was absolutely immense - and really came across on the TV and Radio coverage.

I was wondering about how this was, as the Leeds support is generally pretty boisterous, but as I went through stream after stream of celebration videos, I came across one from a Leeds couple who vlog regularly and took a look out of curiosity. 

They bemoaned the fact that they found it hard to get a chant or song going from their repertoire, and said that at points there were 2 or three different chants at the same time. I certainly didn't hear them that much, or as a unified voice from being stood in our end.

They were blown away by our noise and put it down to the fact we have one very, very, strong song that absolutely everyone knows and got behind all afternoon. They remarked how It made a difference to how they felt, how it kept them muted which probably transferred to the players too.  Perhaps being known as a one-song club isn't all that bad?

Still buzzing.....

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Elmore Saint said:

The noise from the Saints fans in the stadium was absolutely immense - and really came across on the TV and Radio coverage.

I was wondering about how this was, as the Leeds support is generally pretty boisterous, but as I went through stream after stream of celebration videos, I came across one from a Leeds couple who vlog regularly and took a look out of curiosity. 

They bemoaned the fact that they found it hard to get a chant or song going from their repertoire, and said that at points there were 2 or three different chants at the same time. I certainly didn't hear them that much, or as a unified voice from being stood in our end.

They were blown away by our noise and put it down to the fact we have one very, very, strong song that absolutely everyone knows and got behind all afternoon. They remarked how It made a difference to how they felt, how it kept them muted which probably transferred to the players too.  Perhaps being known as a one-song club isn't all that bad?

Still buzzing.....

Im really hoping that the Northam will bring a bit of that next season. Not having our support being watered down by the away fans. Lets se if it does help the team next season

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not sure Adams has any intention of staying watching him in the post match again. Not just the lack of enthusiasm but also turning his shirt around so his name is facing the cameras instead of the badge...don't like that.

He threw his match shirt into the crowd post game, was likley given one which he threw on for the trophy lift. 

But I do agree - I think its done and dusted he moves on. 

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Still buzzing with the last few weeks. 

People talk about Liverpool, Leeds, etc as having the loudest / most passionate fans. I’ve seen people criticise southerners for being quiet/boring whatever. 

But it’s all bollocks. the last few games the support has been absolutely magnificent. It won’t be talked about anywhere apart from on here or amongst saints fans but it’s been something truly special. 

Hope the new stadium improvements can add even more to it. Up the fucking saints. 

I agree with this. We’re aren’t exactly renowned countrywide for our noise levels but they’d have been up there with anyone in the last couple of weeks. As a fanbase we are chronically underestimated in terms of numbers and if it continues, noise levels too. 

Difference is we don’t need constant validation like those to the East, so we haven’t built any kind of reputation through our own self-gratification. Pompey suffer with chronic small man syndrome whereas we are more confident in our own skin.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Don’t suppose anyone knows where I could rewatch the sky coverage of the whole game, or has it and can upload it somewhere? I’d love to see some of the build up, the pundits’ analysis and hear how our support came across on tv. 

https://fullreplays.com/england/championship/leeds-vs-southampton-26-may-2024/

Can watch all of that here in the different segments.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Elmore Saint said:

Still buzzing.....

I agree that at Wembley, the fact we only really have one song (although come on you reds was also pretty loud), helped our fans to sing as one.

We always have a lot of day trippers at Wembley but more than usual were up for it this time round. Apart from a few early moans in the section I was in about people standing up and being loud, once the goal went in it was all good, the jubilation and scenes at the final whistle were the best memories I’ve ever had being someone who just missed out on ‘76

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

I keep having to go back and watch the Freed from Desire YouTube footage. 

I’ve got that bloody tune stuck in my head. I’m trying to replace it with another. At the moment it’s “Leeds are falling apart. Again”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Don’t suppose anyone knows where I could rewatch the sky coverage of the whole game, or has it and can upload it somewhere? I’d love to see some of the build up, the pundits’ analysis and hear how our support came across on tv. 

If you've got SKY go to 'catch up tv' select Sky, Sports. The highlight program is on there.

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Im really hoping that the Northam will bring a bit of that next season. Not having our support being watered down by the away fans. Lets se if it does help the team next season

Going by where I was (lower tier, safe standing, behind the goal) the Northam is already louder and less prone to spells sans vocal support than the Wembley crowd was. 

As I see it the challenge will be more geared towards maintaining the excellent support of this season (whilst winning significantly less games in a tougher division).

The club's gonna be in for a surprise if they expect 'West Brom second leg' support every match just because we've got the whole end now. The stakes played such a part in how that night unfolded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bakovnetski said:

I keep having to go back and watch the Freed from Desire YouTube footage. 

I am another one with it stuck in my head.  Have a look at the vid below.  Not sure who they are, but the footage of the post final whistle celebrations from 12:12 in is pretty good 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’ve got that bloody tune stuck in my head. I’m trying to replace it with another. At the moment it’s “Leeds are falling apart. Again”

Me too.

Although have to say, Joy Division are more of my vintage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ant said:

Going by where I was (lower tier, safe standing, behind the goal) the Northam is already louder and less prone to spells sans vocal support than the Wembley crowd was. 

As I see it the challenge will be more geared towards maintaining the excellent support of this season (whilst winning significantly less games in a tougher division).

The club's gonna be in for a surprise if they expect 'West Brom second leg' support every match just because we've got the whole end now. The stakes played such a part in how that night unfolded.

Agree , most of the lower tier looked good, the atmosphere wasn't actually that great in large parts of the upper tier during the game, around me many just sat spectating in silence. Came to life at the end but was a shame didn't show a bit more life during the 90 mins . 

I doubt we'll have another home game like WBA for quite a while. Higher prices certainly won't help 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Me too.

Although have to say, Joy Division are more of my vintage.

Yeah, my vintage too. But the DJ would definitely not have played it. 😄

It could have been any bouncy/happy/beatsy singalong song that the DJ played immediately after the game but it just happened to be that one. The point to look back on is that it was such a joyous release of emotion and elation by 35000 Saints fans wrapped up in one song that it stood out as truly epic and totally tribal.

I don't mind it sticking around in my head for a couple of weeks more until the PL fixtures come out and we start the transfer rollercoaster for real.

Spotify will help ease it out in the long run.

9 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

Yeah, my vintage too. But the DJ would definitely not have played it. 😄

It could have been any bouncy/happy/beatsy singalong song that the DJ played immediately after the game but it just happened to be that one. The point to look back on is that it was such a joyous release of emotion and elation by 35000 Saints fans wrapped up in one song that it stood out as truly epic and totally tribal.

I don't mind it sticking around in my head for a couple of weeks more until the PL fixtures come out and we start the transfer rollercoaster for real.

Spotify will help ease it out in the long run.

The initial bounce was good but the relentless loud music annoyed me after a while, manufactured atmosphere taking away what should have been time for the fans to sing actual saints songs

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Elmore Saint said:

Still buzzing.....

So interesting to hear that. At first I felt Leeds' fans were clearly louder. That did seem to dissipate after our goal.

From my point of view I kept looking around to see lots of our lot pretty silent indeed. Glad it didn't come across that way to the opposition!

3 hours ago, LGTL said:

I agree with this. We’re aren’t exactly renowned countrywide for our noise levels but they’d have been up there with anyone in the last couple of weeks. As a fanbase we are chronically underestimated in terms of numbers and if it continues, noise levels too. 

Difference is we don’t need constant validation like those to the East, so we haven’t built any kind of reputation through our own self-gratification. Pompey suffer with chronic small man syndrome whereas we are more confident in our own skin.  

Taking 3100 to Sheffield Wednesday on a Friday night first game of the season really set the scene for the season, fans were really up for it, then selling out at Gillingham a few days later, excellent numbers home and away all season the 5500 to Liverpool midweek still surprises me we struggled to take half that in the league usually 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Agree , most of the lower tier looked good, the atmosphere wasn't actually that great in large parts of the upper tier during the game, around me many just sat spectating in silence. Came to life at the end but was a shame didn't show a bit more life during the 90 mins . 

I doubt we'll have another home game like WBA for quite a while. Higher prices certainly won't help 

Similar experience

5 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Crank it up Whitey!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With it all finally starting to sink in, I don’t think it’s possible to understate just how much Alex McCarthy’s professionalism has contributed to us getting promoted.

To spend most of the season as the third choice keeper with his contract running down, and still keep his sharpness up to the point that he comes in for Bazunu with no fuss the way he did, putting in performances at the level he did in some of the highest pressure games in football… ‘tis an absolute credit to him.

We could easily have been sitting here pointing to a season ending injury for our first choice keeper as a major factor in failing to get promoted today were it not for that professionalism.

• Like 8

Got home yesterday afternoon after our trip to Wembley and a night celebrating in London. My son got absolutely off his rockers back at the hotel.

On the way home he looked at me and said ‘Dad, that was amazing but I think my soul has left my body’ 🤣 he slept u til midday today. What a little legend!! 

Sharing moment like this with my lad gives me great pride knowing he is Southampton through and through. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, saintnick said:

Got home yesterday afternoon after our trip to Wembley and a night celebrating in London. My son got absolutely off his rockers back at the hotel.

On the way home he looked at me and said ‘Dad, that was amazing but I think my soul has left my body’ 🤣 he slept u til midday today. What a little legend!! 

Sharing moment like this with my lad gives me great pride knowing he is Southampton through and through. 

IMG_8063.mov 16.16 MB · 3 downloads  

Shared a similar bonding with my lad too.
Saints are never going to be in the upper echelons of football elite but most of us are realistic and the occasional good times are worthy or over the top celebration as was the case on Sunday
UTS

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JRM said:

Block 537 in full voice in the upper tier nearly all game.  Maybe other sections were quiet but great sound from people sat near me. ( Check out the videos i posted on the wembley photos thread.) certainly wasn't sat in silence up there.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2

Is there a foolproof way of getting 'Freed from Desire' out of my brain? I loved it all at the time but I've got to move on with my life now! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Morse said:

Is there a foolproof way of getting 'Freed from Desire' out of my brain? I loved it all at the time but I've got to move on with my life now! 

Easy, just find an even catchier, more annoying song