Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

Nervous about this one if ever Leeds are going to break a final losing streak it will be against us, they are a very dangerous team if they click! We can't afford to let them even start to play how they want to.  That said if we are at our absolute best we should be the better side! 

it's definitely a 50/50 game nothing between the two teams. We've got to make sure we dont shoot ourselves in the foot by making silly mistakes which put pressure on us. I expect Leeds to start fast so we need to be solid and prepared for that then grow into the game. We could do with Adams being fit, his physical presence up front will help us. Just hope the game isn't decided by a 5 minute delay VAR decision or someone messing up and most of that it isn't yet another tale of heroic failure like we have had so often in our history. 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2024 at 07:39, LGTL said:

These are the sorts of games a football fan lives for and they don’t come around very often. Our record at Wembley isn’t great though. Need an atmosphere like last night! Fucking come on Saints 

Yup exactly....anyone else stuck not able to go?

Absolutely killing me! The realisation hit me square in the face when that 3rd goal went in on Friday, that I won't be there.  Inconsiderate people getting married abroad, and no way of getting out of it!

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Absolutely killing me! The realisation hit me square in the face when that 3rd goal went in on Friday, that I won't be there.  Inconsiderate people getting married abroad, and no way of getting out of it!

You sure you can find your passport....??🤔

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Is VAR being used in this game?

While I understand your sad emoji, I'm actually quite glad of it in such an important game.

The last time we played in a Wembley final, we had a perfectly good goal wrongfully ruled out for offside, which wouldn't have happened if VAR was in use that day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yep, me, I'm at a festival with zero signal to the outside world. Theres a pub an hour's walk away so I'm probably gonna head there and use their WiFi to watch it on my phone.

20 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

While I understand your sad emoji, I'm actually quite glad of it in such an important game.

The last time we played in a Wembley final, we had a perfectly good goal wrongfully ruled out for offside, which wouldn't have happened if VAR was in use that day.

True - I was there and agree it could have made a difference.

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Are you saying that with VAR no mistakes will be made? Completely ruins the game more often than not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, me, I'm at a festival with zero signal to the outside world. Theres a pub an hour's walk away so I'm probably gonna head there and use their WiFi to watch it on my phone.

If your festival is Bearded Theory then I know a couple of Saints fans who will be there so you might not be the only one doing that!

14 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Are you saying that with VAR no mistakes will be made?

No, because it obviously still has many flaws due to the way in which it is used and the operators' opinions and interpretation of the laws. 

But what it has done is eliminate those absolute howler decisions, like disallowing Gabbiadini's opener in the 2017 EFL final when replays showed he was clearly onside.

If we were to lose on Sunday and lose out on promotion because of an obviously wrong offside call, would you still be happy there was no VAR?

I wouldn't.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

No, because it obviously still has many flaws due to the way in which it is used and the operators' opinions and interpretation of the laws. 

But what it has done is eliminate those absolute howler decisions, like disallowing Gabbiadini's opener in the 2017 EFL final when replays showed he was clearly onside.

If we were to lose on Sunday and lose out on promotion because of an obviously wrong offside call, would you still be happy there was no VAR?

I wouldn't.

He was, but Bertrand was well offside and arguably interfering with play so technically not a wrong call even if an old fashioned one.

6 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Team selection wise...If Adams is passed fit I'd bring him in for Brooks. Other than that same side please. 

I thought Brooks was unplayable at times against WBA, great movement off the ball and great running with it. He plays IMO.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not going either. My son is going camping with his Mum for the week. Obviously could have gone with others, but would feel totally bad about going without him. Did look earlier and was tempted, but guilt won out!

40 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Pretty nice that there will be more Saints fans at wembley than at a home match

Yeah we have far more supporters that in the main only go to away games, me being one. I have to say after having a season ticket and living in Southampton all my childhood and some of my adult life, there is nothing better than an away game. So plenty of support we have all over the country. This is big, very big indeed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

The starting 11 on Friday offered so much quality and flexibility in formation, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what we go with; even if Che is fit.

Leeds wont turn up, not play a striker and try and camp in their half and offer so much more in our final 3rd than WBA - very different approach needed Sunday. 

Martin has got it right twice this season, lets hope he has Farke's number once more. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

que a skate rumour saying we couldn't sell out.

... or 10,000 tickets were snapped up by wily Leeds fans infiltrating  the system..... and another 5,000 by pOmpey's finest who're just going up there to have a ruck with the scummers... and Leeds, and a few Millwall/West Ham/Chelsea who show up by arrangement.

• Sad 1

Play-off finals are usually really cagey and often won by the odd goal - given the way both teams play and defend, this one could easily be a 4-3 either way. 

I've fancied Leeds for promotion all season so If we manage to beat Leeds 3 times this season, we deserve promotion. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

The starting 11 on Friday offered so much quality and flexibility in formation, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what we go with; even if Che is fit.

Brooks will need to be more defensive minded and help KWP out.

1 hour ago, Dr Who? said:

Anyone got any idea what kit we are wearing, because if it is black I might have to purchase one. If red it will be retro for me. 

What is the third kit like I wonder?

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Leeds wont turn up, not play a striker and try and camp in their half and offer so much more in our final 3rd than WBA - very different approach needed Sunday. 

Martin has got it right twice this season, lets hope he has Farke's number once more. 

Yeah Baggies were disappointing, not playing Assante (sp?) at least up top was very strange, they had no pace and clearly came for the set pieces.  Many ways to skin a cat and all that.  If Che plays, it feels like we're more wedded to a front 3 than the fluid 2 of Arma and Brooks - even though Brooks played more a 10 than an out and out striker.  There's no way Arma's not playing, playing a front 2 of Che and Arma will be what the Leeds cloggers at the back would rather see.  

We changed formation many times on Friday, more than I can ever remember us doing so.  Leeds strength is their front 3 and Piroe playing off them, we'll need a spare man at the back either Jan or THB, and I can see Stephens being told to sit on Piroe or at least in that space he tends to occupy.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

We’ve got to be playing in our home strip surely…no reason not to?

I agree as there is no colour clash. If either side is forced to change kits it is just madness.

21 minutes ago, SylvianSylvian said:

Anyone know a flare vendor?! Can’t see any on eBay, unless I’m just being dim! 

Unless you're looking for a ban, I wouldn't recommend. 

Your choice though 

23 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

We’ve got to be playing in our home strip surely…no reason not to?

I don't understand how its all decided... We played Watford (yellow and black - no clash) at home twice this season, who decided to play in thier away kit (white and maroon), which was more of a clash than their home kit would have been. 

Almost certainly will be black though - would be amazing if hummel brought out a limited edition yellow / blue, like we got the all white for the EFL cup final.. can't see that happening when there are alternatives which aren't a clash though 

On 18/05/2024 at 20:54, saints-til-i-die said:

I pray we get an anti Sunak chant going with the Leeds fans. I hate the thought they think he’s one of us. 

Is that all you’re interested in ?   Zzzzzzz

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don't understand how its all decided... We played Watford (yellow and black - no clash) at home twice this season, who decided to play in thier away kit (white and maroon), which was more of a clash than their home kit would have been. 

Almost certainly will be black though - would be amazing if hummel brought out a limited edition yellow / blue, like we got the all white for the EFL cup final.. can't see that happening when there are alternatives which aren't a clash though 

We are playing in same kit we had at Elland Road

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, die Mannyschaft said:

Is there VAR in the championship final?

Not sure if we benefitted from VAR or lost more decisions.

Anyone know if Brooksy is cup-tied for this one now we're in the actual final and lots of people on TV have described it as a like a cup final?   Hope not......

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SylvianSylvian said:

Anyone know a flare vendor?! Can’t see any on eBay, unless I’m just being dim! 

I am assuming to do this pre match?

IMG_0945.jpeg

• Haha 2

It just occurred to me that JWP didn't break the premier league free kick record this year.

What are the chances that we get promoted, get drawn against West Ham in the first few games of the season and he smashed in a free kick at SMS?

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I wouldn't.

I'd be unhappy, but not because of VAR, simply with officials being unable to make correct decisions, offside especially which should never be covered by VAR. WE didn't lose in 2017 because of that "howler", but the game may well have panned out differently without it.

Whole end will just be red and white anyway surely. Reminds me of 2017 league Cup final when Saints played in a shirt that couldn't actually be purchased in the shop. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic