Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

had a great time yesterday, the whole day and beyond, but have to say, watching football from row 37 of the top tier was fucking awful.  Like watching from the Goodyear Blimp.  Yes, you can see what is going on, but you are so detached from the game. The rows are so fucking steep i was terrified if we scored that I might emulate the Gloucester Cheese Rolling competitors. Better than not getting a ticket, obviously, but far from ideal.  

Sorry not laughing at you Chez - just the vision of chasing that cheese! Every time I see that I think how mental it is! We were row 15 behind the goal which was pretty good and having been in the gods I know what you mean.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Sorry not laughing at you Chez - just the vision of chasing that cheese! Every time I see that I think how mental it is! We were row 15 behind the goal which was pretty good and having been in the gods I know what you mean.

Hey, never noticed there was another Saint in Thailand on this forum. Where did you watch it last night? I was in O'Shea's (with some irony) in Soi 33/1.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Any of them got decent coverage of the post match celebrations? The EFL one shows a lot of it but cuts the sound out because of copyright from "freed from desire" 🤦🏼‍♂️

Really happy you asked because for me this was one of the highlights of a most stupendous day out as a long time Saints fan….

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

What a day. 10 hour round trip. Enjoyed the goal and then everything after the final whistle. The rest I was just far too nervous. Then tension just built and built and led to the pandemonium that followed at the full time whistle. I have never in the 40 years of supporting Saints have I witnessed anything like it. There were fans all over the place, hugging, and just going nuts with some on the floor. 

OK the premier league will be dull in caparison to this season, but the £140 million much needed for the club! 

The last 2 times in the championship we have gained promotion to the top flight straight off the bat. 

“We are Premier League”

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 3

I’m sure there will be another thread for this, but my immediate thoughts on Prem level replacements are…

1. New keeper

2. New LB

3. New ACM

4. New winger

5. New striker

Outs: Stu Armstrong, Che, McCarthy, Baz (won’t happen), Mara, Sulemana.

Keep: Harwood-Bellis, Wee man, Downes

I watched the Leeds v Norwich game and until Norwich's stupidity conceding the free kick goal it was pretty poor. After that the Leeds crowd woke up and Norwich just succumbed. I didnt rate Leeds performance as special but I was hearing and reading that they had suddenly morphed into the free scoring invincibles and that they only had to turn up to reclaim their rightful place in the Premier league.

I just didn't buy that. Apparently us beating them twice didn't rate as a problem together with their end of season implosion and failure to win through the play offs on five occasions.

That's not to say I was confident that we would win through but I just felt we were in better form than Leeds despite the rhetoric regarding the Norwich win. Several games stood out for me as a more accurate indication how the game would go. The away league game v WBA, the away league game v Leeds, The play offs v WBA as I remember we played our three centre backs. For me that was the key. Yesterday proved it. Alex McCarthy had the best game I've seen him play particularly his punching and claiming crosses. The three centre backs gave us three proper defenders plus two wing backs that worked their socks off and nullified the Leeds wide men. the midfield competed and Armstrong was a problem for Leeds all day. It was a shame Brooks was injured and I was surprised that Edozie replaced him. 

The commentators before the game said that the team with the best defence would win and that happened. Fair play to Russell Martin he got his team selection and tactics spot on. The best thing I can say about Saints is that they gave a sublime team performance and did a proper job on Leeds who could easily have lost by more than one goal.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Chez said:

had a great time yesterday, the whole day and beyond, but have to say, watching football from row 37 of the top tier was fucking awful.  Like watching from the Goodyear Blimp.  Yes, you can see what is going on, but you are so detached from the game. The rows are so fucking steep i was terrified if we scored that I might emulate the Gloucester Cheese Rolling competitors. Better than not getting a ticket, obviously, but far from ideal.  

I was up in the Gods for the JPT and I agree, I spent a lot of the game just mesmerised at the support and size of the place rather than what was happening on the pitch.

Apparently the attendance at Wembley for the Play Off final yesterday was 85,962 whereas the attendance for the FA Cup final with the two Manc teams was 84,814. Impressive stuff.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

Hey, never noticed there was another Saint in Thailand on this forum. Where did you watch it last night? I was in O'Shea's (with some irony) in Soi 33/1.

I was at the game. Unfortunately I’m now back in the drizzly UK full time 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I'm relaxed about it all. I was relaxed all through the second half. I told my grandson to remember and cherish the feeling of being a goal up in an important game at Wembley against arrogant opponents with a huge sense of entitlement and to savour every moment. 

I never felt that Leeds would score but any team can fluke a goal at any time and from where we were sitting that Dan James shot seemed to be heading into goal. To me the Leeds players seemed to be too tensed up and as the game went on were making silly little mistakes. 

The final whistle came as a bit of a shock to me as I was expecting another minute of added time and the realisation set in as to what we had achieved. 

We've been in the Premier League long enough to know what to expect and do. It was a combination of bad decisions that saw us relegated but with the retention of important players and some sensible additions we should be ok.

I watched the recording yesterday evening and what impressed me was the coherence of our defence and midfield. One commanding cohort of players working for each other who kept their shape and stifled any threats.  The benefit of a settled team and supreme confidence. 

Yes Whitey, There are always fans who are unhappy with " Russball "  but at times this season  (and occasionally yesterday), we looked in total control 

with almost faultless one-touch passing ...and I was reminded of a comment from the Don Revie era at Leeds,  when Billy Bremner was asked about his

excellent combination play with the superb John Giles, and his reply was......." .it's simple - we don't see the opposition " . At times this season I have found 

myself recalling that quote.  It seemed that whoever passed " somewhere" , there's always "someone" there to collect it ...and move it on.   Great stuff. 

• Like 5

Wow, what a day. Second time I’ve seen us lift a trophy at Wembley. Such an amazing atmosphere. Was so glad and proud to have been there. The smoke from the flares got to my eyes at the final whistle 😂 

To all the Leeds fans I met yesterday, you are a credit to your team and city. Good luck next year.

Still buzzing. 

Saints FC, you ALL did us proud today.

I also think we’ve found a new song for when we score at home! 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

At the medal presentation he called Adam Armstrong back to himself and congratulated him then said something that appeared to me like a promise of something and gave him a thumbs up and nodded as they parted. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spitz said:

Really happy you asked because for me this was one of the highlights of a most stupendous day out as a long time Saints fan….

Doesn’t fucking get any better than this moment right here.  

Unreal from everyone. What an atmosphere. Outsang the Leeds the whole game, and they were loud as fuck themselves. 

Fucking quality.  Absolutely quality. Still buzzing. What a weekend 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Wow!

There were escalators but were out of action. Due to my asthma I had to stop twice. When we got to the top a woman in a suit just said sorry escalators are out of action. No one at the bottom saying the are 5 levels to climb!!! When I started just presume we were going up one level via stairs. Many older people struggled with the stairs for 5 levels.

• Like 3

My god, that’s a weekend which I’m sure will get talked about for a very long time. 9am flight back from a stag do in Belfast, straight on the train up to Wembley, and managed to get home at something like 4am after carrying on in Southampton when we got back.

My throat and back balance have both got some healing to do. 

In terms of the game, it was very strange to feel that comfortable with a 1 goal lead, very un-Saints like. THB, KWP and Bednerek were all fantastic. As others have said, great to see so many ex players making an appearance. 

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Any of them got decent coverage of the post match celebrations? The EFL one shows a lot of it but cuts the sound out because of copyright from "freed from desire" 🤦🏼‍♂️

Not really, they're all a bit naff. I'm waiting for the ''Behind the Scenes' one the club puts out for that, should be an epic watch.

20 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Locksmith would have been cheaper and easier! Idiot. 

London out of hours rates, bank holiday weekend ? Wouldn’t bank on it. 

(Although could have called one from Leeds I suppose). 

Fantastic day out.

Started badly however when Kingx tube was closed due to a flare being left off and ended up in Euston underground with several hundred/thousand leeds fans.

Could only get better from there. Took my two boys and absolutely brilliant memories. The 20 minutes after full time was incredible.

Thought we were in control for the most part and defensively were excellent. Fair play to RM for setting up the team as he did and thought the whole defence was very disciplined.

The contrast to Leicester away was remarkable really and a special shoutout for Adam A who I hope goes onto score a shed load in the premier league and also Alex McCarthy who played a big part in seeing us over the line. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Badger said:

Haha, yeah he said he called one but because of the deadlock and the way the car is, nothing would work. I assume company car too so couldn't do the old smash the window routine either. I'd have felt sick having to go back to Wembley the day after losing there.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Haha, yeah he said he called one but because of the deadlock and the way the car is, nothing would work. I assume company car too so couldn't do the old smash the window routine either. I'd have felt sick having to go back to Wembley the day after losing there.

AA?
RAC?

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Hah, from bitter experience, you're not getting a lot of change out of a grand (though that was a lost house key rather than a car door).

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Just get a hotel just outside of London 😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

2 great moments of my Saints supporting life. Stokes to McCalliog, he's onside 1-0. Smallbone to Armstrong , he's onside 1-0

Great point.  Was anybody else panicking for a split second about the VAR screen of doom popping up with a 'VAR Check - possible offside' message when AA scored??

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Great point.  Was anybody else panicking for a split second about the VAR screen of doom popping up with a 'VAR Check - possible offside' message when AA scored??

Yep, wasn’t until they kicked off that I relaxed.

On 26/05/2024 at 22:30, Farmer Saint said:

Just in taxi back to the ranch - what a day!!! 

Atmosphere was unreal - never known anything like it. Great to meet and sit with @OldNick for the day - lovely guy and enjoyed it muchly.

The anxiety of the final 78 minutes nearly finished me off, but so proud of the team - they wanted it, and they played for Martin. 

Martin - what an incredible tactical masterclass that was. For those that say he doesn't have a plan B, I think you are very wrong. Personally, considering his history with Farke, this must be so damn sweet, and I am very happy for him personally. He's a good guy, and a classy one at that. 

Onwards and upwards, and oh yeah, WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE, (although going to miss the Championship). 

COYS

You beat me to it FS, incredibly kind and thoughtful of you how you chased me down to get me the ticket. I think Hypo also helped. (Whelk Weston Super Saint also had input I believe)

Great company and helped , if that was possible, to add to the most wonderful day. 

Having hugs with 3 grown strangers when we scored and at the final whistle!!! was an experience but wonderful all the same. I wish I knew their names lol.

All the talk of Leeds fans in with us was as I had thought a nonsense although there were 2 very po faced men in the row behind meat the final whistle.

• Like 1

As for the most incredible atmosphere generated by both sets of fans, what must help not having thousands of corporates who are only half arsed about a game taking up valuable seats

• Like 3

1 hour ago, malcolm waldron said:

How fantastic it was that VAR was not used or needed at all.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, malcolm waldron said:

Unfortunately was watching on TV but that meant I was pretty relaxed about this as he was so clearly onside even watching it happen live.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, the colonel said:

There were escalators but were out of action. Due to my asthma I had to stop twice. When we got to the top a woman in a suit just said sorry escalators are out of action. No one at the bottom saying the are 5 levels to climb!!! When I started just presume we were going up one level via stairs. Many older people struggled with the stairs for 5 levels.

I have a degenerative miniscus problem but at the time didn't realise it was going to flare up but once I got home it was bloody agony 😰

It's amazing how adrenalin can pull you through because I lived through the whole Wembley experience and only got the pain afterwards !

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Spotted this video which ~38,000 of us won't have seen. It's worth a watch, and it was clear to me that every Saints player gave everything and left nothing out there. Credit to Martin and the recruitment team for finding the right characters.

Troy Deeney questions Leeds desire   - Yep we Freed them from their Desire 😁😁

Nature of the game, especially when the favourite loses…go into criticise mode rather than full on praise for the winner. Although to be fair there was some praise for Saints defence - that in itself is worth mentioning, because it’s a feature of our team that’s had significant levels of criticism in the past.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Spotted this video which ~38,000 of us won't have seen. It's worth a watch, and it was clear to me that every Saints player gave everything and left nothing out there. Credit to Martin and the recruitment team for finding the right characters.

Troy Deeney questions Leeds desire   - Yep we Freed them from their Desire 😁😁

I saw that when I got home on Sunday. I was quite impressed with his analysis.

1 hour ago, Colinjb said:

How fantastic it was that VAR was not used or needed at all.

Yeah I mentioned that in the car on the way home - it suddenly dawned on me that VAR was not used once. But why?  New rules?