Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Without dwelling on them I'm not so sure you are correct there. They had to go up really given their financial position and the wages of a lot of their players. Half that team wont be there next season, they have a big job on their hands.

From what my Leeds' supporting pals tell me, they sold key players to offset a big loss, owe lots in outstanding transfers, are close to the PSR limits anyway, had to pay out on previous managers, have most of a squad out on loan coming back and a load of players that want to move on. Then there's the drop in parachute payments.

To be fair, they all said we deserved it, and wished us the best for next season. The above was from me suggesting they'd be among the strongest to go up next time. It seems there's going to be s lot of moving players on, while strengthening, for that to happen.

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

There are some very enjoyable vlogs on YouTube. Maybe I'm sick but the best ones are from the Leeds fans 😂

Tbf a few of rhe Leeds pre match thoughts are very gracious in defeat.

28 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Spoke to a few Leeds fans after and all congratulated us, not any bad comments and were all very friendly.

Anyone encounter one of the thousands of Leeds fans on social media who claimed they brought tickets in our end?

I travelled up with my grandson and his friend who was a Leeds supporter and had bought a ticket in our end on the basis of having bought a couple of tickets at St Mary's. He was sitting across from us in a different section and wore plain clothes. We were not too harsh on him afterwards. 

As I left them on the train I shook his hand and said "We must do this again next year"

28 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Spoke to a few Leeds fans after and all congratulated us, not any bad comments and were all very friendly.

Anyone encounter one of the thousands of Leeds fans on social media who claimed they brought tickets in our end?

One was sat next to me. He kept his mouth shut tho and left on 98 minutes.  I mean he could have been a Saints fan, that didn’t celebrate the goal or sing or wait for the final whistle 🤣

We had club Wembley tickets (through Wednesday’s ticket release) so the Leeds fans decanted into the same exit and they were all pretty complimentary and good people.  Even being goaded by our lot a couple of them stuck in traffic wished us luck, and the Leeds fans singing “Leeds are falling apart again” from their hotel window as we walked back made me laugh 🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amazing result! I had tickets for the game and planned to come but had to cancel last minute.

Games like yesterday and WBA at home last week makes one really miss being back in UK. But it was still brilliant to watch from a distance. Despite Leeds having a couple of chances we controlled the game at times and defended brilliantly for large parts. We did everything we needed to, to get over the line! 

Even though the Championship was a fun division to be in for a season, I don't think it can be underestimated how important for us to get back up first time of asking, in terms of holding onto good players, financial implications and not slowly decaying into mid-table mediocrity in the Championship. 

Edited by ScandiSaint
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Let's hope Martin now has the strength to realise that Stephens though a nice guy isn't premier league captain level his mistakes will just increase .  We unfortunately need to ditch the players that aren't good enough and that's sad as some of them have contributed in our rise, AA is a backup striker in the premier league not a first choice Che will be gone and none of our strikers are good enough, there's no way AA gets 24 in the toughest league in the world more like 4 if lucky he's a great championship striker nothing more nothing less.  

Spot on! That is the harsh reality of life and there are some tough and uncomfortable decisions to be made ahead. We must hope that the board and Russell Martin have the bottle to do it. 

There will need to be a root and branch clear out of deadwood as well as the pursuit of a few quality players and the deadwood at that level will be extensive. All of us will have opinions on that and collectively we would probably want to see the back of most of them! What we might agree on is that the old timers are probably too old to be incorporated into a new team fit for purpose in the PL and some of the kids who have not made much of an impact in the Championship need to be moved on to allow headroom for the next crop. 

There will always be enigmas like Kameldeen Sulemana and Carlos Alacaraz, probably they should be given a chance in the PL simply because they are young players with as yet unrealised potential.

What we cannot afford to see on August 17th is the same team that started yesterday and I mean that with all due respect and admiration for what they have achieved this season. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Cheer up Whitey,  Despite the huge effort it has taken to get back up,  I think we will find that a certain number of players already have their names 

on the team sheet for the first game, but that there will be a few new additions to dwell on...(maybe not a lot) ..but clearly we need to strengthen a few areas.

With Bazunu out (at least) until the New Year, and unsure of his fitness thereafter I'd see no harm in giving McCarthy an extended short term contract 

as his input has been invaluable in the run-in after GB's injury, although we'll need a good prospect as a long term no.2 - if Bazunu can't cut it in the Prem. 

A big name buy for an experienced midfield general to play alongside  Downes and Smallbone would be good thought,  and of course a reliable striker.

Adam Armstrong has shown good qualities above that of passing 20 goals, and had earlier drawn the short straw when we were so dependent on Che Adams.

Adam's critics continually said that he couldn't score in the Championship (!).., but such things were quoted way back about Rickie Lambert when in League One,

and he improved all the time, and ended up scoring goals for England.     ( I think Che.. DAJFU for a while,  but needs a new challenge elsewhere )

IF ....Ross Stewart comes back fully fit , he'll be a threat, and both Dibling and Ballard will be a year older.. and ideal for that extra striker place on the bench.

So don't be so sullen Whitey, If we never win the title , and can get a few good results, and maintain a decent midtable place,  it'll please most of us. 

I'm relaxed about it all. I was relaxed all through the second half. I told my grandson to remember and cherish the feeling of being a goal up in an important game at Wembley against arrogant opponents with a huge sense of entitlement and to savour every moment. 

I never felt that Leeds would score but any team can fluke a goal at any time and from where we were sitting that Dan James shot seemed to be heading into goal. To me the Leeds players seemed to be too tensed up and as the game went on were making silly little mistakes. 

The final whistle came as a bit of a shock to me as I was expecting another minute of added time and the realisation set in as to what we had achieved. 

We've been in the Premier League long enough to know what to expect and do. It was a combination of bad decisions that saw us relegated but with the retention of important players and some sensible additions we should be ok.

I watched the recording yesterday evening and what impressed me was the coherence of our defence and midfield. One commanding cohort of players working for each other who kept their shape and stifled any threats.  The benefit of a settled team and supreme confidence. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Spot on! That is the harsh reality of life and there are some tough and uncomfortable decisions to be made ahead. We must hope that the board and Russell Martin have the bottle to do it. 

There will need to be a root and branch clear out of deadwood as well as the pursuit of a few quality players and the deadwood at that level will be extensive. All of us will have opinions on that and collectively we would probably want to see the back of most of them! What we might agree on is that the old timers are probably too old to be incorporated into a new team fit for purpose in the PL and some of the kids who have not made much of an impact in the Championship need to be moved on to allow headroom for the next crop. 

There will always be enigmas like Kameldeen Sulemana and Carlos Alacaraz, probably they should be given a chance in the PL simply because they are young players with as yet unrealised potential.

What we cannot afford to see on August 17th is the same team that started yesterday and I mean that with all due respect and admiration for what they have achieved this season. 

Different job, different tools.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

So you don’t want to see the same team, you actually want someone who couldn’t get in the team, to be in the team…. FFS. 

We need a keeper, left back & a centre forward. Players like Jack, Adam Armstrong, Manning will play an important role in the squad & deserve to be around the club. With players like Rothwell, Brooke’s, Adams & Stu Armstrong leaving there is plenty of scope to bring in 2 or 3 starters. 

Sulemana has had his chance, we need to get rid asap. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Let's hope Martin now has the strength to realise that Stephens though a nice guy isn't premier league captain level his mistakes will just increase .  We unfortunately need to ditch the players that aren't good enough and that's sad as some of them have contributed in our rise, AA is a backup striker in the premier league not a first choice Che will be gone and none of our strikers are good enough, there's no way AA gets 24 in the toughest league in the world more like 4 if lucky he's a great championship striker nothing more nothing less.  

What a party pooper.  I am a poor typist or I would have more to say about the game itself.  Except AA will be good in Premif we can buy Downes for example.

• Like 1

The whole of yesterday was quite surreal i thought, still trying to process it.

Met a few Leeds fans outside and some were absolutely distraught but most were pretty pragmatic. Shook hands, apologised, wished them luck and sent them on their way.

Sorry to do it to them as i would worry for that club now, but rather them than us any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Fck 'em.

Waiting for my voice to come back as got to go to work tomorrow 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Chuckle said:

See my previous post...😂😂😂

16 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

I was sat right next to one of the cunts 😂

He spent the whole match with his finger in his left ear. The saints fan (me) next to him was just too noisy. He loved having to celebrate and nipped off just before the final whistle.

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

"say hello to pompey, say hello to pompey" really annoyed some of them for some reason. 

Is it because they are envious and jealous of Pompey, the biggest club in Britain, a sleeping giant; with fans that could sell out the entirety of Wembley twice over, and make more noise than any other fanbase?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Apparently Lambo was there too, alongside a fair few other ex Saints players.

Saw Davis and Long. Great to know Rickie was too. Brilliant that so many of our old players have such an affinity to the club. 

• Like 12

I think I've watched every possible highlight package this morning - ITV's, our club one, Sky Sports one, Leeds United's one.

It never gets old. It wasn't a memorable game in terms of quality (these Playoff games never are), but when you're on the right side of a result you're just addicted to rewatching it.

• Like 2

Oh wow, what a day and night. I think from the West Brom second leg up to yesterday have been my favourite moments as a Saints fan. 

For the match, Leeds had plenty of the ball and played some nice stuff, but McCarthy wasn't really tested. The shot that hit the crossbar was agonizing, but Edozie missing after going through was the best chance of the game after the goal and for the most part we were defending the 1-0, and it worked. 

For the stuff outside of the match, it was perfect. There was some myth that Leeds just missed out on automatic promotion and therefore deserved to go up. They finished the season closer to us than they were to Ipswich. There wasn't really much acknowledgement that we finished the season on 87 points. Leeds were seen as the favourites, despite us doing the double over them in the season. And finally, it was Leeds who were writing us off and calling us flat track bullies part way through the season, and my God, we sure did bully them this season.

Yesterday was just perfect, short term and long term. We need to be in the Premier League with the money available. I might live in naïve hope that with a few correct decisions that we can one day replicate the Koeman years and get back into Europe, while we'll also never win a cup playing in the Championship. We've seen clubs like Brighton, Bournemouth and Brentford establish themselves with good decisions made off the pitch so there isn't any reason why we can't do so again, we haven't got Semmens telling us how lucky we are to be in the Premier League anymore, we need to be competitive again. My fear before yesterday was getting stuck in the Championship and it is so easy to do so, an unforgiving league. This season and the Adkins seasons were brilliant, but the Burley/Pearson and Poortvliet/Wotte seasons were far worse than the Pochettino/Koeman and even Puel seasons. 

Final word for Pompey, getting giddy about playing us next season, but we're Premier League.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, SuperSaintWill said:

The whole of yesterday was quite surreal i thought, still trying to process it.

Met a few Leeds fans outside and some were absolutely distraught but most were pretty pragmatic. Shook hands, apologised, wished them luck and sent them on their way.

Sorry to do it to them as i would worry for that club now, but rather them than us any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Fck 'em.

Waiting for my voice to come back as got to go to work tomorrow 😁

I’m not. I remember the Don Revie era when they resorted to all the nasty tricks in the book and hopefully we shall never again see that clip of them passing the ball around aimlessly and showboating in that 7-0 defeat. This season has rubbed their noses in the dirt. Dirt that they created.

• Like 8

Just back to Southampton with a headache and current account hammering, what a day chaps, what a day.  All hands on deck defence to win that but our team spirit and support was monumental, as stated by a number of my LUFC relatives and friends - I hope Leeds go up next year beating the inbreds home and away.  Armstrong, McCarthy, Downes, Stephens, Fraser (the Scottish Mark Dennis yesterday -who knew?) in particular showed the grit we have lacked for a good few years.  We are in for a busy summer, but Harwood-Bellis already onboard the Russbus is terrific.  What a sojourn that was, winning the play-offs the cherry great for our club and city. 

• Like 3

So glad we didn’t go up automatically. That Friday against West Brom and yesterday were just superb and the buzz from football we live for. Squad looked so together and love Russell Martin. 

• Like 7

So much good sense has already been written there is little I can add other than some observations of the day out.  The climb up to Level 5 at Wembley was a Work Out I could have done without but if I felt my knees were in danger of seizing up then Armstrong's goal soon sorted that. I leapt from my seat like a gazelle (have you ever seen a gazelle leap from a seat at a sorts stadium) and any aches and pains were not even considered.

At St Mary's my seat is in the Kingsland Stand and at 68 years old I am one of the younger fans in the block. Yesterday I was amongst some of the more youthful, vocal and boisterous of fans and I had a wonderful time - reminded me of my youth standing in the chocolate boxes at The Dell. One young lad was directly behind me and his enthusiasm for the Saints was only surpassed by his apparent lack of vocabulary. His lexicon seemed to be limited to about six words, with the letters 'f', 'c' and 'b' featuring prominently. Such passion!! Loved every minute of it and I would never be treated to such a display of raw hatred in the Kingsland.

The journey back home via Waterloo was a bit tight but we managed to get the last ferry to Ryde. Physically I was exhausted but mentally I was buzzing far too much to sleep so I watched the highlights on tv and awoke this  morning to find my self still sitting in my chair, an empty bottle of claret next to me and the tv still on.  Perhaps the best way to finish one of life's more memorable days out.

My only regret is not buying shares in 'The Extra Strong Throat Lozenge Company'. I suspect sales will be up strongly this morning.

• Like 16
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Kingsland Codger said:

So much good sense has already been written there is little I can add other than some observations of the day out.  The climb up to Level 5 at Wembley was a Work Out I could have done without but if I felt my knees were in danger of seizing up then Armstrong's goal soon sorted that. I leapt from my seat like a gazelle (have you ever seen a gazelle leap from a seat at a sorts stadium) and any aches and pains were not even considered.

At St Mary's my seat is in the Kingsland Stand and at 68 years old I am one of the younger fans in the block. Yesterday I was amongst some of the more youthful, vocal and boisterous of fans and I had a wonderful time - reminded me of my youth standing in the chocolate boxes at The Dell. One young lad was directly behind me and his enthusiasm for the Saints was only surpassed by his apparent lack of vocabulary. His lexicon seemed to be limited to about six words, with the letters 'f', 'c' and 'b' featuring prominently. Such passion!! Loved every minute of it and I would never be treated to such a display of raw hatred in the Kingsland.

The journey back home via Waterloo was a bit tight but we managed to get the last ferry to Ryde. Physically I was exhausted but mentally I was buzzing far too much to sleep so I watched the highlights on tv and awoke this  morning to find my self still sitting in my chair, an empty bottle of claret next to me and the tv still on.  Perhaps the best way to finish one of life's more memorable days out.

My only regret is not buying shares in 'The Extra Strong Throat Lozenge Company'. I suspect sales will be up strongly this morning.

That climb up was quite a challenge. About half way up one of the stewards spotted me having a breather and said that it was disgusting to put people like me through that and that I should have been offered a lift. Too late love.

Why is it that other stadiums have escalators and adequate toilet facilities yet our latest showpiece is sadly lacking?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chewy said:

It was a long day - the journey back was terrible but I smiled all the way, waving at hundreds of scarf-wielding cars in the 80 mile tailback like a young child. And that kind of sums it Up - you get older, more cynical, more sarcastic, more - quite frankly- miserable as the years pass, especially in an a football era swamped with dirty money, corruption and some downright unlikeable players.  And then along comes a day of pure emotion that makes you feel pure joy in a way you did as a 7 year old falling in love with Williams, Wallace and (especially for me) Moran (or whoever it was in your particular era). Pure football joy for the love of the game and the love of our club.

It doesn’t happen very often so I’m going to enjoy this and bask in its glow for a long while.

Well said 👏 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I think I've watched every possible highlight package this morning - ITV's, our club one, Sky Sports one, Leeds United's one.

It never gets old. It wasn't a memorable game in terms of quality (these Playoff games never are), but when you're on the right side of a result you're just addicted to rewatching it.

Any of them got decent coverage of the post match celebrations? The EFL one shows a lot of it but cuts the sound out because of copyright from "freed from desire" 🤦🏼‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That climb up was quite a challenge. About half way up one of the stewards spotted me having a breather and said that it was disgusting to put people like me through that and that I should have been offered a lift. Too late love.

Why is it that other stadiums have escalators and adequate toilet facilities yet our latest showpiece is sadly lacking?

We were in block 537, right at the top and there were escalators taking us up there making it easy   🤔.   Stairs on the way back down.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, whelk said:

Just watching back recording. Fucking love Neil Warnock. 

Is there a clip of that? Would like to see it , he cracks me up 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, whelk said:

So glad we didn’t go up automatically. That Friday against West Brom and yesterday were just superb and the buzz from football we live for. Squad looked so together and love Russell Martin. 

I recall some saying that earlier in the season, much more fun going up in the play offs, it really galvanised the fan base and the city, been brilliant really. Could actually sense some jealousy from the glory hunting Liverpool/ man city fans at kids school as we  discussed actually going to games and heading off to Wembley, proper buzz for the younger members of our fan base that will stick with them for years. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

I must have been sat by you too as I managed to deal with the stairs to Level 5 reasonably well but felt sorry for those who were less able, for one reason or another, and didnt have the option of the lift which was out of order!!
I am not sure if the lad behind you was the same one that I could hear throughout the game with the very loud voice and restricted vocabulary.
To be fair it somehow blended in with the excitement of the day and I give him and his palls full credit for their lung capacity and cast iron throats.
We went by coach which was OK but the air conditioning was on both ways and with no onboard toilets and no stopping I am sure one or two of us more senior fans had to be very careful with the intake of liquids. A few strategic sips of water there and back and a few pints to make up for the liquid shortfall when I arrived home.
Interesting to see that a post on a Leeds Forum suggested that their support struggled to make noise as they had a variety of songs which were not sung in unison whereas we had only one (fair comment) but everyone joined in to maximum effect.
Speaking to a few of my mates who support other teams they reckon our support came over as loud and continuous.

Hope the journey home wasn't too bad for most? Consternation on our jubilee line tube when the driver announced one stop before that we wouldn't be stopping at Waterloo because of congested platforms !

Apologies is this was posted as it's a long thread.

BBC Leeds have similar partisan coverage to our own Blackmore/Tessem channel. I think their control room techs were less law abiding and switched back on their feed at 5pm so it includes the last couple of minutes of play.

This is what they made of losing. It's what we'd have done if we hadn't pulled it off. All the what-ifs and what-nexts you'd expect from a club staying down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hzb5gx

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

had a great time yesterday, the whole day and beyond, but have to say, watching football from row 37 of the top tier was fucking awful.  Like watching from the Goodyear Blimp.  Yes, you can see what is going on, but you are so detached from the game. The rows are so fucking steep i was terrified if we scored that I might emulate the Gloucester Cheese Rolling competitors. Better than not getting a ticket, obviously, but far from ideal.  

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, JRM said:

Is there a clip of that? Would like to see it , he cracks me up 

Don’t know. I just set to record on Sky in case worth watching back. Warnock just a natural raconteur and so relaxed. Full of praise for Saints play and enthusing about our support and saying at atmosphere such a good advert for the Championship. Also said how Sky paid him fck all, got drenched and deafened but loved it

Thanks for telling this 69 year old with metal knees NOW that there was a lift to get into the gods 😇. We had a great time, great atmosphere and support but was very concerned when my younger mate had 6 heart attacks in the last twenty minutes and then his apple watch said it was too noisy !!!! 😇. Bit late to bed this morning but thanks to all the Saints staff and players for a great day and getting us back into the Premier League. Frannie Benali reaction sums it up for me what a great family club we are loved by many ex players as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I hope he gave Sunak a piece of his mind when it started raining.

Avid Saints supporter Rishi wasn't there. He was just up the road in Harrow doing a bit of electioneering.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Is it because they are envious and jealous of Pompey, the biggest club in Britain, a sleeping giant; with fans that could sell out the entirety of Wembley twice over, and make more noise than any other fanbase?

You've been taking lesson from Rallyboy..

8 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

Thanks for telling this 69 year old with metal knees NOW that there was a lift to get into the gods 😇. We had a great time, great atmosphere and support but was very concerned when my younger mate had 6 heart attacks in the last twenty minutes and then his apple watch said it was too noisy !!!! 😇. Bit late to bed this morning but thanks to all the Saints staff and players for a great day and getting us back into the Premier League. Frannie Benali reaction sums it up for me what a great family club we are loved by many ex players as well.

I'm a bit older and was in Block 548. Bit of a workout getting up there but I manged it without having to stop.

Son and 9 year-old grandson went separately. it was his first visit to Wembley and, when we got home, I asked him what he thought.

He said that it was the best day of his life. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

Thanks for telling this 69 year old with metal knees NOW that there was a lift to get into the gods 😇.

Yes, I used it both ways. It probably helped as I was using a crutch and got ushered to it by a sharp eyed steward. The same crutch that got pinched by some lairy Leeds fans on the trip back to the station. Most of them were fine but it doesn't take many who can't hold their drink to spoil things.