Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

I have to say being sat somewhere near the Stratosphere giving a great view of the pitch. I will say I was pretty calm throughout the game, having watched Saints for over 40 years with my own eyes, rather than on TV, it was very notable how well we controlled Leeds keeping them at arms length for the majority of the game.

great day out

• Like 5

Home and thoroughly hosed. Unforgettable day, unforgettable month…! 

Elland Road “Where’s your famous atmosphere?”

The Hawthorns “Oh, Alex McCarthy”

St Mary’s “Will Smallbone, he’s one of our own”

Wembley “I wanna be…”

Great memories. Thank you Saints. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I have to say being sat somewhere near the Stratosphere giving a great view of the pitch. I will say I was pretty calm throughout the game, having watched Saints for over 40 years with my own eyes, rather than on TV, it was very notable how well we controlled Leeds keeping them at arms length for the majority of the game.

great day out

I agree. It didn’t feel like it at the time as it was so tense but in hindsight apart from the shot against the bar they threatened little, I always felt we were in control, disciplined and organised. Martin has to take huge credit for that as at times we’ve looked like a disorganised rabble this season but today was the total opposite of that. 

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I agree. It didn’t feel like it at the time as it was so tense but in hindsight apart from the shot against the bar they threatened little, I always felt we were in control, disciplined and organised. Martin has to take huge credit for that as at times we’ve looked like a disorganised rabble this season but today was the total opposite of that. 

I’ve said it so many times… Leeds had the best attack in the League this season.

However, What surprised me is that not only have we scored more goals than them this season but they only had 2 shots on target all game and only 11 on target against us all season in their 3 defeats. To me that shows that Farke wasn’t getting the best out of those attacking riches, and that Martin set us up to be difficult to beat.

According to the Leeds forum they have faith in Farke next season but they will definitely now lose a few players. Do I care? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I’ve said it so many times… Leeds had the best attack in the League this season.

However, What surprised me is that not only have we scored more goals than them this season but they only had 2 shots on target all game and only 11 on target against us all season in their 3 defeats. To me that shows that Farke wasn’t getting the best out of those attacking riches, and that Martin set us up to be difficult to beat.

According to the Leeds forum they have faith in Farke next season but they will definitely now lose a few players. Do I care? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Leeds will be there or there abouts next season, and be comfortable one of the strongest in the league.

Edited by AlexLaw76

Posted (edited)

What an experience! It was a real combination of emotions with excitement and nervousness in equal measure !

3 generations of my family sitting together in the magnificent Wembley stadium watching Saints win is something I’ll never forget !

My son and grandson got back home in Belgium at 2am and my dodgy knee has really flared up, so it was a long day but none of us care !!

COYS 😇

Edited by eurosaint
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

One of the greatest days of my life, epic, amazing, phenomenal - all the buzz words required. I had no idea what to expect today, but I was full of excitement and nerves with the occasion being one of the biggest I've ever experienced as a fan. I was at the JPT win, I was at the promotion wins under Adkins, I was at the FA Cup and League cup defeats....but as I sit here it feels as if this topped it all, from the Semi second leg to today.

It's hard to really analyse a game in much great detail as emotions are just pouring out of every orifice at the moment, but I thought it was a really gusty performance - really strong out of possession, not amazing on the ball...but we limited Leeds so well, we played the dirty game today and mixed it up a little. it was refreshing to see us not be walkovers or soft, we were much more aggressive than them and gave us as good as we got. Over recent years that has been a huge weakness of us, too meek and rolled over too easily - but we stood tall today and repelled everything they threw at us.

I didn't think Stephens had a particularly good game, but I can't help but feel a bit emotional when I saw him lift the trophy and celebrate at the end it meant so much to him and you can see how authentic it was.

My MOTM was Bednarek who was immense, repelled everything, won so many amazing challenges and was always there - he was a one man defence at times, but I really, really love his partnership with the silky THB -  I think as a pair they are really, really strong. That was our strong point today, we were so good as a defensive unit and didn't allow Leeds 'much' - they had a lot of the ball, but I felt we kept them at bay (well, I can say that now - but it did feel like an eternity during that second half)

It was somewhat fitting that AA got the winning goal, capping off what was an amazing season for him personally. He lead us as captain for months and was amazing, finished top scorer and had the most goal contributions. I know some have question marks over his PL ability (myself included), but this season has allowed him the opportunity for another crack - I certainly want to see what he can do in the PL now he's settled here and has proven with us what he can do.

It's hard to think about next season yet, but I'm just going to soak up the next few weeks and probably replay that game 10 or 20 times. Those are the moments you pray to experience as a fan and I'm so lucky to have experienced the last two weeks - easily some of the most incredible moments of my Southampton supporting life, and I didn't think I'd be saying that after the Stoke home game.

Summarised perfectly as you often do. I’m not quite old enough to remember 76 (or 79), so have had very few real highlights as a saints fan but that was definitely the most epic day I’ve had. 
And combined with the most incredible atmosphere I’ve seen at st Mary’s 10 days ago, easily the best couple of weeks as a fan of over 40 years.

And it was so un-saints. I was strangely calm all game; nervous but in anticipation and excitement, not the usual dread and fear. 
The game is hard to analyze with the emotions, but I imagine a neutral would say Leeds dominated possession without really creating which is remarkable given RMs modus operandi. I’ve been supportive but critical of him all season (rightly so imho) and questioned whether he had it in him to kill games when it mattered. Delighted to say he did - I really didn’t see that coming. “Well done” hardly seems to say it enough, but … well done Russell and team.

To see both of Leeds’ danger men withdrawn without really laying a glove on us was testament to how well we nullified them. They helped us too by using a key attacker (Rutter) to basically man-mark our MVP Downes, but otherwise RM and team can take all the tactical credit.

As for the players, most of the heroes were amongst the defence. Stephens started with a miss-placed pass and there were other errors to come, but he showed real leadership and character which as you rightly say has been missing for a good couple of seasons. Bednarek was excellent, Downes superb (although he did lose possession once … probably just the third time all season. He’s brilliant). I thought Fraser was tireless again too. Such professionalism from him over the last month or so operating as a hybrid winger/full-back. 
At the other end I thought ArmA was exceptional and deservedly got a goal he and us will remember for years. Smallbone and Aribo too were tireless for 90 minutes.
But my MOTM was McCarthy. His command of the box just removed pressure at every set-piece.  I feel a bit sorry for Gavin for a lot of unnecessary criticism and people need to remember McCarthy himself has had horror shows for us, but when on form he is undoubtedly a step up in quality and today, when needed most, it showed.

It was a long day - the journey back was terrible but I smiled all the way, waving at hundreds of scarf-wielding cars in the 80 mile tailback like a young child. And that kind of sums it Up - you get older, more cynical, more sarcastic, more - quite frankly- miserable as the years pass, especially in an a football era swamped with dirty money, corruption and some downright unlikeable players.  And then along comes a day of pure emotion that makes you feel pure joy in a way you did as a 7 year old falling in love with Williams, Wallace and (especially for me) Moran (or whoever it was in your particular era). Pure football joy for the love of the game and the love of our club.

It doesn’t happen very often so I’m going to enjoy this and bask in its glow for a long while.

What a day. What a 10 days. Thank you Russell, thank you coaches, thank you players, and thank you my fellow saints fans.

Edited by Chewy
Spelling
  • Like 42

9 minutes ago, Secret Site Agent said:

I also meant to put

WELCOME BACK PLASTICS.......You can pretend to be Saints fans again and stop following Chelsea.

I'll definitely miss the championship, large home crowds at decent prices knowing everyone around you is a Saints fan. Going back to £80 Kingsland premium with half and half supporting tourists not great. Have Saints released all the prices yet? 

Just now, rooney said:

Three times I have seen Saints promoted to the top echelon of English Football but never scenes like we saw yesterday. Magic!

It was a great day, definitely most exciting way to gain promotion, feels like winning a cup as well and something we've been starved of a bit as a club. Fair play to Martin I've been a critic at times this season but he really got his tactics right in all the play off games. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I know you gits have a bank holiday but us guys abroad have had to be "sick" this morning.

Am gonna spend some time in the leeds forum to drink in those delicious tears.

They are all very complementary 

• Haha 2

Probably the best 8 days I have had supporting Saints. Days like yesterday are what it’s all about. I won’t lie that I had a tear in my eye when Stephens lifted that trophy above his head. 

Combined with THAT wba home game, the best atmosphere St Marys has ever had, and you can’t argue that we the fans haven’t stepped up. Yesterday, the players and Martin stepped up. I’ve been so critical of the latter, but he gave me one of the best days of my life yesterday and I’ll always be thankful to him for that. 

• Like 3

Trying to reflect on the match itself this morning, but it's so much harder to take everything in with the emotion of the day.

The overriding feeling is that we did fantastically well at keeping Leeds at arm's length, as a few others have said.

Think I need to find a download of the full 90 minutes to watch back.

Posted (edited)

The players and the manager have done ther talking on the pitch and congratulations to them. Thye have surprised us and possibly themselves. Well done the Saints!

Now the hard work begins. I'm not Martin's biggest fan but he deserves his shot at management in the Premier League. It's up to the owners now to bak him by making sure we keep KWP, THB and FD and buy at the vey least a PL quality fullback, midfielder and striker. We don't want to be back in the Championship anytime soon if ever.

Today is a day for celebration and a well earned rest at least for the players and coaches. Lets hope our first match is not against City for their sake!

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 3

It's still brilliant this morning, and the whole summer to enjoy it, only interrupted by some England debacle that doesn't really matter anyway.

You've got to savour these times, historic moment, special day, fucking love it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

One of the greatest days of my life, epic, amazing, phenomenal - all the buzz words required. I had no idea what to expect today, but I was full of excitement and nerves with the occasion being one of the biggest I've ever experienced as a fan. I was at the JPT win, I was at the promotion wins under Adkins, I was at the FA Cup and League cup defeats....but as I sit here it feels as if this topped it all, from the Semi second leg to today.

It's hard to really analyse a game in much great detail as emotions are just pouring out of every orifice at the moment, but I thought it was a really gusty performance - really strong out of possession, not amazing on the ball...but we limited Leeds so well, we played the dirty game today and mixed it up a little. it was refreshing to see us not be walkovers or soft, we were much more aggressive than them and gave us as good as we got. Over recent years that has been a huge weakness of us, too meek and rolled over too easily - but we stood tall today and repelled everything they threw at us.

I didn't think Stephens had a particularly good game, but I can't help but feel a bit emotional when I saw him lift the trophy and celebrate at the end it meant so much to him and you can see how authentic it was.

My MOTM was Bednarek who was immense, repelled everything, won so many amazing challenges and was always there - he was a one man defence at times, but I really, really love his partnership with the silky THB -  I think as a pair they are really, really strong. That was our strong point today, we were so good as a defensive unit and didn't allow Leeds 'much' - they had a lot of the ball, but I felt we kept them at bay (well, I can say that now - but it did feel like an eternity during that second half)

It was somewhat fitting that AA got the winning goal, capping off what was an amazing season for him personally. He lead us as captain for months and was amazing, finished top scorer and had the most goal contributions. I know some have question marks over his PL ability (myself included), but this season has allowed him the opportunity for another crack - I certainly want to see what he can do in the PL now he's settled here and has proven with us what he can do.

It's hard to think about next season yet, but I'm just going to soak up the next few weeks and probably replay that game 10 or 20 times. Those are the moments you pray to experience as a fan and I'm so lucky to have experienced the last two weeks - easily some of the most incredible moments of my Southampton supporting life, and I didn't think I'd be saying that after the Stoke home game.

Excellent write up - spot on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The players and the manager have done ther talking on the pitch and congrtaulations to them. Thye have surprised as and possibly themselves. Well done the Saints!

Now the hard work begins. I'm not Martin's biggest fan but he deserves his shot at management in the Premier League. It's up to the owners now to make sure we keep KWP, THB and FD and buy at the vey least a PL quality fullback, midfielder and striker. We don't want to be back in the Championship anytime soon if ever.

Today is for celebration and a well earned rest at least for the players and coaches. Lets hope our first match is not against City for their sake!

Let's hope Martin now has the strength to realise that Stephens though a nice guy isn't premier league captain level his mistakes will just increase .  We unfortunately need to ditch the players that aren't good enough and that's sad as some of them have contributed in our rise, AA is a backup striker in the premier league not a first choice Che will be gone and none of our strikers are good enough, there's no way AA gets 24 in the toughest league in the world more like 4 if lucky he's a great championship striker nothing more nothing less.  

• Like 1

I had a weird feel of calm watching the game yesterday. Once we went ahead and the next phase of the game began to be played out I really couldn't see Leeds scoring.

Ok they hit the bar and had one other shot on target which was saved well but at no time were they cutting us apart or getting in dangerous positions.

The defence were magnificent but where I really thought we won the game was in midfield. The 3 in there worked tirelessly to restrict passing lanes, nick balls off their players and force them to play narrow.

In all 3 games against them we have completely dominated that area of the pitch, and in different ways too.

A truly great day, one that we will never forget.

• Like 6

Some really good write ups from various people here. Seeing as I got in at 2am I'm not really in a position to go into detail but I will say I think that was the best moment I've had supporting saints which is really something given Adkins and the promotion season

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Let's hope Martin now has the strength to realise that Stephens though a nice guy isn't premier league captain level his mistakes will just increase .  We unfortunately need to ditch the players that aren't good enough and that's sad as some of them have contributed in our rise, AA is a backup striker in the premier league not a first choice Che will be gone and none of our strikers are good enough, there's no way AA gets 24 in the toughest league in the world more like 4 if lucky he's a great championship striker nothing more nothing less.  

In RM's post match interview he raved about Stephens and said he cannot believe we loaned him out when we needed him in the premier league.

He's going to be captain next season.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

In RM's post match interview he raved about Stephens and said he cannot believe we loaned him out when we needed him in the premier league.

He also showed with Bournemouth that he can perform in the prem. Martin has earnt the right to do things his way and if he believes the character and passion of Stephens is needed in the prem then that's what he should do. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

God help us 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

He also showed with Bournemouth that he can perform in the prem. Martin has earnt the right to do things his way and if he believes the character and passion of Stephens is needed in the prem then that's what he should do. 

His character and passion aren't in question, but if he passed the ball straight to Man City three times in positions like he did yesterday they wouldn't be as generous as Leeds were in fucking it up. 

Martin needs to remember he hasn't managed in the Prem before.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Wish I'd been out to celebrate. I got smashed at home on 3/4 of a bottle of rum and I think a few ciders at one point and can barely move this morning. 

I mean, that still sounds like a decent celebration.

For me, the atmosphere outside Wembley was pretty special. Singing on the streets in Saints colours, absolutely loved it.

The drinking in London went on for some time I reckon!

Just now, sfc4prem said:

I mean, that still sounds like a decent celebration.

For me, the atmosphere outside Wembley was pretty special. Singing on the streets in Saints colours, absolutely loved it.

The drinking in London went on for some time I reckon!

It was but I was by myself 😂 and I'm supposed to be cleaning the house today. 

17 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

His character and passion aren't in question, but if he passed the ball straight to Man City three times in positions like he did yesterday they wouldn't be as generous as Leeds were in fucking it up. 

Martin needs to remember he hasn't managed in the Prem before.

I repeat, Stephens has shown he can perform to an adequate standard in the prem. It's up to Martin to show he can get Stephens to that standard and he deserves to give it a shot. He's also shown he will drop players who aren't performing so I'm sure he woukd do the same next year. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I'll definitely miss the championship, large home crowds at decent prices knowing everyone around you is a Saints fan. Going back to £80 Kingsland premium with half and half supporting tourists not great. Have Saints released all the prices yet? 

Wow,why so happy?.............just enjoy the fact were up and see where it goes,next chapter coming up. But yes prices will change,there will be  good games and indifferent ones too,and like you ive enjoyed watching us last season winning more than loosing, but were back with the big spenders and egos so suck it up and lets see what happens.C O Y S.

On 25/05/2024 at 18:06, Whitey Grandad said:

Somewhat surprisingly I’m ambivalent about a Saints game for possibly the first time ever. I’d like us to win but I’m not sure I want the prize that goes with it.

Cheer up Whitey,  Despite the huge effort it has taken to get back up,  I think we will find that a certain number of players already have their names 

on the team sheet for the first game, but that there will be a few new additions to dwell on...(maybe not a lot) ..but clearly we need to strengthen a few areas.

With Bazunu out (at least) until the New Year, and unsure of his fitness thereafter I'd see no harm in giving McCarthy an extended short term contract 

as his input has been invaluable in the run-in after GB's injury, although we'll need a good prospect as a long term no.2 - if Bazunu can't cut it in the Prem. 

A big name buy for an experienced midfield general to play alongside  Downes and Smallbone would be good thought,  and of course a reliable striker.

Adam Armstrong has shown good qualities above that of passing 20 goals, and had earlier drawn the short straw when we were so dependent on Che Adams.

Adam's critics continually said that he couldn't score in the Championship (!).., but such things were quoted way back about Rickie Lambert when in League One,

and he improved all the time, and ended up scoring goals for England.     ( I think Che.. DAJFU for a while,  but needs a new challenge elsewhere )

IF ....Ross Stewart comes back fully fit , he'll be a threat, and both Dibling and Ballard will be a year older.. and ideal for that extra striker place on the bench.

So don't be so sullen Whitey, If we never win the title , and can get a few good results, and maintain a decent midtable place,  it'll please most of us. 

Posted (edited)

I watched the match at my brothers place (bigger and better TV) and driving home last night through Tunbridge Wells saw two people in Saints shirts (proper red and white stripes, not pink and red) walking up the road from the station. They look like they had had a good time!

Not much to add really. As said the second half seemed to go on forever but despite all Leeds possession I didn’t feel as nervous as I usually do when teams attack our defence. A strange game as we offered very little going forward but defensively we were immense. My MotM was McCarthy for the way he controlled the box but the whole team were magnificent in keeping Leeds out. Very pleased for SR after all the stick they have taken and for Martin, ditto. You can add the likes Will Smallbone too. 
The atmosphere looked brilliant and must have lifted the players so well done everyone who was there.

Probably need to spend a bit more time savouring the the play offs but totally agree with what is being said about next season. We need to strengthen in several positions if we aren’t going to struggle and for all of his passion, that includes a lesser role for the likes of Stephens. You just can’t give the ball away as much as he does and not get punished in the Prem. Having said that he deserved his moment yesterday for his service and commitment to the club. He will always have that in his locker, but we need better next season. Hopefully we will keep our better players now and will build on those. I shall miss the Championship and being one of the better sides in the league but am intrigued to see what next season brings. More grief for Martin I expect 😂.

Having been a Saints fan for 58 years, as we know, moments like this don’t come along too often. It makes a pleasant change to see the forum when everybody is (mostly) together! 🥳

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I went there yesterday really wanting to hate the Leeds supporters after their arrogant gobby comments all over social media but much as it grieves me to say this the ones we spoke to before and after were actually quite human and friendly, can u believe  it !!! ,including a few who offered their congratulations.  All helped make a brilliant day.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Spoke to a few Leeds fans after and all congratulated us, not any bad comments and were all very friendly.

Anyone encounter one of the thousands of Leeds fans on social media who claimed they brought tickets in our end?

Edited by Paul Chuckle
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Leeds will be there or there abouts next season, and be comfortable one of the strongest in the league.

Without dwelling on them I'm not so sure you are correct there. They had to go up really given their financial position and the wages of a lot of their players. Half that team wont be there next season, they have a big job on their hands.

10 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

😇

What a legend. Not too dissimilar to my reaction at the full time whistle too.

Great to see so many ex-saints in attendance yesterday. Myself personally saw Aaron Martin, one of the Wallace brothers, and Peter Rodrigues outside the ground. Pete looks really well for 80 which was great to see. Good that the club were able to invite so many former saints to enjoy the day.

• Like 4