Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

1 hour ago, Ex Ringwood Saint said:

What a day . Block 133 behind the goal was mental.. Fantastic support all game and the end was fantastic.. No voice but what else is that to say... Safe travels everyone

134 next to it was fucking awful, IMO.

Did my best 'ultra' impression to drive some semblance of noise and we eventually got there. But a big ol' damp squib - when I was at very least expecting what we normally get in the Northam. 

Still, probably not the time for that criticism. 

Magnificent day. Tomorrow will hurt and it's so, so justified.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

One of the greatest days of my life, epic, amazing, phenomenal - all the buzz words required. I had no idea what to expect today, but I was full of excitement and nerves with the occasion being one of the biggest I've ever experienced as a fan. I was at the JPT win, I was at the promotion wins under Adkins, I was at the FA Cup and League cup defeats....but as I sit here it feels as if this topped it all, from the Semi second leg to today.

It's hard to really analyse a game in much great detail as emotions are just pouring out of every orifice at the moment, but I thought it was a really gusty performance - really strong out of possession, not amazing on the ball...but we limited Leeds so well, we played the dirty game today and mixed it up a little. it was refreshing to see us not be walkovers or soft, we were much more aggressive than them and gave us as good as we got. Over recent years that has been a huge weakness of us, too meek and rolled over too easily - but we stood tall today and repelled everything they threw at us.

I didn't think Stephens had a particularly good game, but I can't help but feel a bit emotional when I saw him lift the trophy and celebrate at the end it meant so much to him and you can see how authentic it was.

My MOTM was Bednarek who was immense, repelled everything, won so many amazing challenges and was always there - he was a one man defence at times, but I really, really love his partnership with the silky THB -  I think as a pair they are really, really strong. That was our strong point today, we were so good as a defensive unit and didn't allow Leeds 'much' - they had a lot of the ball, but I felt we kept them at bay (well, I can say that now - but it did feel like an eternity during that second half)

It was somewhat fitting that AA got the winning goal, capping off what was an amazing season for him personally. He lead us as captain for months and was amazing, finished top scorer and had the most goal contributions. I know some have question marks over his PL ability (myself included), but this season has allowed him the opportunity for another crack - I certainly want to see what he can do in the PL now he's settled here and has proven with us what he can do.

It's hard to think about next season yet, but I'm just going to soak up the next few weeks and probably replay that game 10 or 20 times. Those are the moments you pray to experience as a fan and I'm so lucky to have experienced the last two weeks - easily some of the most incredible moments of my Southampton supporting life, and I didn't think I'd be saying that after the Stoke home game.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 27

1 hour ago, saint francis said:

Was at work unfortunately but heard it on the radio.  Celebrated immediately after with a strong tea and a Scotch egg. 👍

My favourite post of the day 😂

• Like 3

Just back, what an atmosphere, hairs on the back of the neck… so fucking stressful,Leeds smashing the bar, 9 minutes extra time, but the celebrations at the end, what a day, what memories!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Robbie Savage before the game:- 

Robbie Savage gives his Championship play-off final verdict: 🗣️ “I would like to see Leeds back in the Premier League next season.

"The atmosphere at Elland Road is brilliant. Leeds have never had a good record in the play-offs so it will be tough. They’re going into the final having finished third in the league. On the day it is going to be packed and the pressure, nerves, anxiety and expectations are all ramped up.

“There is more expectation on Leeds and I hope they win it, but the brand of football Southampton play could work well on the big Wembley pitch. However, I just think Leeds’ attacking threat will be too much for Southampton but you never know. I’d rather see Leeds in the Premier League than Southampton as a neutral.”

Robbie Savage knows as much about football as i know about Astro physic's, he is a clown

Edited by moonraker
  • Like 4

Before the match I had been trying to think of positives about staying in the Championship:

No VAR

Matches closer to my home eg Oxford, Luton

The opportunity for the likes of Dibling and Ballard to benefit from lower league fotball like Lallana and Schneidlein did when we were in lower leagues. 

But I never convinced myslf and now I don't need to!!! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁🙄

• Like 1

My friends,

I'd like to congratulate you most sincerely on your victory tonight, which has taken you back up to the Premier League.

What a journey you have made! You can be proud of yourselves!

Celebrate, enjoy and savour!

Congratulations to the Sport Republic family!

• Like 25

52 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

One of the greatest days of my life, epic, amazing, phenomenal - all the buzz words required. I had no idea what to expect today, but I was full of excitement and nerves with the occasion being one of the biggest I've ever experienced as a fan. I was at the JPT win, I was at the promotion wins under Adkins, I was at the FA Cup and League cup defeats....but as I sit here it feels as if this topped it all, from the Semi second leg to today.

It's hard to really analyse a game in much great detail as emotions are just pouring out of every orifice at the moment, but I thought it was a really gusty performance - really strong out of possession, not amazing on the ball...but we limited Leeds so well, we played the dirty game today and mixed it up a little. it was refreshing to see us not be walkovers or soft, we were much more aggressive than them and gave us as good as we got. Over recent years that has been a huge weakness of us, too meek and rolled over too easily - but we stood tall today and repelled everything they threw at us.

I didn't think Stephens had a particularly good game, but I can't help but feel a bit emotional when I saw him lift the trophy and celebrate at the end it meant so much to him and you can see how authentic it was.

My MOTM was Bednarek who was immense, repelled everything, won so many amazing challenges and was always there - he was a one man defence at times, but I really, really love his partnership with the silky THB -  I think as a pair they are really, really strong. That was our strong point today, we were so good as a defensive unit and didn't allow Leeds 'much' - they had a lot of the ball, but I felt we kept them at bay (well, I can say that now - but it did feel like an eternity during that second half)

It was somewhat fitting that AA got the winning goal, capping off what was an amazing season for him personally. He lead us as captain for months and was amazing, finished top scorer and had the most goal contributions. I know some have question marks over his PL ability (myself included), but this season has allowed him the opportunity for another crack - I certainly want to see what he can do in the PL now he's settled here and has proven with us what he can do.

It's hard to think about next season yet, but I'm just going to soak up the next few weeks and probably replay that game 10 or 20 times. Those are the moments you pray to experience as a fan and I'm so lucky to have experienced the last two weeks - easily some of the most incredible moments of my Southampton supporting life, and I didn't think I'd be saying that after the Stoke home game.

A very good summary, very much reflects my feelings after a special day

• Like 3

Just in taxi back to the ranch - what a day!!! 

Atmosphere was unreal - never known anything like it. Great to meet and sit with @OldNick for the day - lovely guy and enjoyed it muchly.

The anxiety of the final 78 minutes nearly finished me off, but so proud of the team - they wanted it, and they played for Martin. 

Martin - what an incredible tactical masterclass that was. For those that say he doesn't have a plan B, I think you are very wrong. Personally, considering his history with Farke, this must be so damn sweet, and I am very happy for him personally. He's a good guy, and a classy one at that. 

Onwards and upwards, and oh yeah, WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE, (although going to miss the Championship). 

COYS

• Like 12

What a day, so proud of the players, manager and fans! For all Leeds' attacking talent I never really felt like they were going to score. Full credit to Russ for making us more solid and pragmatic in recent games but especially today. Think we totally deserved the win.

Delighted THB is now a Saints, hope we can also keep Flynn who was immense again.

Thought both sets of fans were really loud and it was a great atmosphere. I am done in now. Time to relax and enjoy the summer speculation!

• Like 4

As others have said, one of  the best days I have ever had following the Saints.

My first game was 1970. And , given that supporting my home town club was the only  choice, I have been really lucky with long stretches in the top flight, some wonderful teams and incredible players. And plenty of success along the way.

But I couldn’t be at the final in ‘76, although I was at the semi final, and since then every big Wembley (  or Cardiff ) occasion has ended in more or less glorious defeat (the JPT aside, which was lovely, but doesn’t really count as major success.)

And often I have thought that maybe it just wouldn’t ever be. So it goes. And then suddenly, this team made it happen. A huge win, on the biggest platform ,in one of those games where the clock seems to go slower the more you look at it.

Finally, it really  happened. Feels a bit selfish , but I still feel the disappointment ( and the thrill of the good parts, like Peach’s goal ) of Wembley ‘79, Cardiff ‘03,even the Zenith Data, Wembley ‘17, and the semi final defeat. 
And today I can really  make my  peace with those nearly- days.
Today made all that good .

It was ( football ) wonderful. 

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

1964 my first time watching Saints, 60 years on and today was one of the best.  Block 537 at the top of the stadium, brilliant support.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Just got home after a long day.

Absolutely fantastic.

Tactically brilliant from Russell Martin. He has absolutely stepped up this month. 

Although we were all nervous for the whole game, we didnt need to be - Leeds didn't offer that much, because we stopped them playing.

Front to back the team worked so hard and we will need that next year. In the frickin Prem.

Well done Saints.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

Convoy up the M3, flags flying. 

Taking over Fleet Services, tons of red and white. 

Queuing 45 minutes trying to make the last mile off of the shitty North circular.

Watching team bus arrive. 

Soaking in that Wembley atmosphere. 

Going nuts, limbs after 24 minutes. 

Looking at the clock every minute after the 75th.

Suffering the nine minute agony. 

Going crazy at the final whistle, hugging people I've never met in my life..!

Celebrating with the players. 

The long, but happy, drive home. 

Memories, emotions and feelings you can't buy.

Brilliant day.  COYR.

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

What an amazing day, I've dreamed of this 😊 proud day - absolute credit to Russell Martin who is a gem of a manager, all the players who were magnificent, the backroom staff, the owners and us the fans. We are back where we belong 😊 

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 5

Home and taking stock.

This game felt weird to me. I wasn't nervous, or worried on the build up. I just felt happy to be at an occasion like this.

Public transport was fantastic. Enjoyed a few beers at Waterloo, a just brilliant day of freedom away from the family.

Then, at Wembley, we scored......... And then, I felt...... Everything. Now it's real. Now we could actually triumph at Wembley.

And we held firm, somehow. Their shot against the bar was a true defining moment , that went in our favour.

Then, after 'Forever' (I've never known a stoppage time like that.) The whistle went, we started dancing.... Sweet Pandemonium. 

We. Are. Premier. League. 

• Like 6

What a sensational day!

Fleet packed full of red and white, scarfs and flags a plenty on the trip up, great atmosphere in Wembley, hugging strangers, fans celebrating on the bridge over the M3 driving back.

Result wasn't too bad either.

Those final 15 minutes were horrible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

ITV had extended highlights for an hour this evening. Well worth watching on catch-up if you didn't see it just now, very comprehensive coverage of the game and post-match celebrations.

Watching the Sky highlights first... that's next though!  This game will never get boring.

Additionally... how good were Smallbone's set pieces today! I already think there are comparisons of JWP in him, neat passing, decent going forwards, but his free kick was good today. He perhaps doesn't have the same engine or tackling nous but i think he's going to do well in the Prem. He's deserved his chance with an excellent performance today.

• Like 1

Won’t lie, that was easily the most nervy I’ve ever been at a game. Was desperate for my boys to experience a win at Wembley after the disappointment of the league cup final and the FA semi. Felt so sorry for them after those games, so was praying for a win for them (and me of course). 
But what a day. Superb atmosphere, great tactics and fantastic performances across the pitch. Snufffed out Leeds and thoroughly deserved it. Great scenes at the end. Best day as a Saint? Got to be up there. COYR. 

• Like 7

When Dan James' shot hit the bar, it just felt like our day. And what a brilliant day it was - atmosphere, result, journey and the rest. 

That certainly made up for the apathy and, frankly, total shite we've had to endure for the past few years. 

A day to be proud of the football club and the city. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Won’t lie, that was easily the most nervy I’ve ever been at a game. Was desperate for my boys to experience a win at Wembley after the disappointment of the league cup final and the FA semi. Felt so sorry for them after those games, so was praying for a win for them (and me of course). 
But what a day. Superb atmosphere, great tactics and fantastic performances across the pitch. Snufffed out Leeds and thoroughly deserved it. Great scenes at the end. Best day as a Saint? Got to be up there. COYR. 

Brilliant day.