Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

Posted (edited)

Great day, so please for the players, manager, coaches and most of all the fans. Game panned out how I thought, Leeds pressed hard in a fast start but we held them off, and settled in, with a great counter-attack. Superb pass by Smallbone and AA composed finish across the keeper. We had chances to get a second before a hairy last 10 + all the injury time. Only real scare was James hitting the bar. 

Defensively excellent, THB joins us now for £20m. Alex assured in goal and what a way to finish if that’s his last game. Ditto Che, delivered what he promised in last season’s tweet. Fraser did a brilliant job both offensively and defensively doubling up

Huge recruitment summer ahead but we can just enjoy tonight. Potentially a financial sliding doors moment with the Covid loans coming up. Great to see Kat there, Dragan looked delighted but had gone through the wringer emotionally! 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 5

Robbie Savage before the game:- 

Robbie Savage gives his Championship play-off final verdict: 🗣️ “I would like to see Leeds back in the Premier League next season.

"The atmosphere at Elland Road is brilliant. Leeds have never had a good record in the play-offs so it will be tough. They’re going into the final having finished third in the league. On the day it is going to be packed and the pressure, nerves, anxiety and expectations are all ramped up.

“There is more expectation on Leeds and I hope they win it, but the brand of football Southampton play could work well on the big Wembley pitch. However, I just think Leeds’ attacking threat will be too much for Southampton but you never know. I’d rather see Leeds in the Premier League than Southampton as a neutral.”

• Haha 21

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Wasn't expecting too I won't lie but yes. Really special.

Possibly the occasion rather than the actual prize. For some people these being in the Prem is more important than the FA Cup……!

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Which makes more money ?

Finish second in the Championship or finish fourth and play 3 extra games including a sell-out final at Wembley ?

Itused to be the case that the two playoff teams came to an agreement that the losers got all the proceeds from the finalbecause the winning team gains so much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Robbie Savage before the game:- 

Robbie Savage gives his Championship play-off final verdict: 🗣️ “I would like to see Leeds back in the Premier League next season.

"The atmosphere at Elland Road is brilliant. Leeds have never had a good record in the play-offs so it will be tough. They’re going into the final having finished third in the league. On the day it is going to be packed and the pressure, nerves, anxiety and expectations are all ramped up.

“There is more expectation on Leeds and I hope they win it, but the brand of football Southampton play could work well on the big Wembley pitch. However, I just think Leeds’ attacking threat will be too much for Southampton but you never know. I’d rather see Leeds in the Premier League than Southampton as a neutral.”

Possibly the worst pundit on TV.

• Like 8

Well that was easily the best Saints win I’ve seen in my life. The support was the loudest Ive ever heard from any team live. The singing though not quite non stop was almost. Leeds support was excellent but we outsung them  them. Or so it seemed from where I was. As for the match. Leeds probably maybe deserved a draw but life’s not fair and for once it was our turn to benefit. They cannot defend and we can. 
Felt so emotional watching Jack with the trophy also singing for Stuart Armstrong. Well done Saints at Wembley both players staff and supporters did the City proud today! 

• Like 4

Brilliant day out. Started with a massive argument with my brother who decided not to come, then tried to tell me he wanted to come at 11am after I'd already promised to sell his ticket. Turner notifications off and just enjoyed the day, and what a day. In tears at the end, roll on next season!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

I am absolutely done in. What a joyous day. 

Cream crackered. 

Said weeks ago we'd win the play offs...and felt confident all afternoon. When it comes to the crunch games, the teams with the attacking talent are the ones to back. 

Brilliant to get promoted after such a shit show last season. Exciting summer ahead.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Great day, so please for the players, manager, coaches and most of all the fans. Game panned out how I thought, Leeds pressed hard in a fast start but we held them off, and settled in, with a great counter-attack. Superb pass by Smallbone and AA composed finish across the keeper. We had chances to get a second before a hairy last 10 + all the injury time. Only real scare was James hitting the bar. 

Defensively excellent, THB joins us now for £20m. Alex assured in goal and what a way to finish if that’s his last game. Ditto Che, delivered what he promised in last season’s tweet. Fraser did a brilliant job both offensively and defensively doubling up

Huge recruitment summer ahead but we can just enjoy tonight. Potentially a financial sliding doors moment with the Covid loans coming up. Great to see Kat there, Dragan looked delighted but had gone through the wringer emotionally! 

Sling doors moment. Get the recruitment right over next few windows and we can go places.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yep, and the best thing is I never really felt like Leeds would score. Given how many games I've watched this season where we looked like conceding every time the oppo attacked, that's very impressive.

Good to know we have that in us.

I was watching in the stadium and felt the same way. Fans really did their best to be the 12th man - I’m so hoarse I can barely speak! 

Team defended really well and worked their socks off. Judging by the celebrations THB & Flynn are excited to stay 🤞

• Like 5

Well done fans players coaches manager owners. 

I couldn’t make it to Wembley but had ringside tickets on the sofa with a constant stream of the west countries finest. 

Great but wow just coming down from that one. 

I think we will be fine next season, definitely 3 worse teams than us, with point deductions for Leicester, then Ipswich, and take your pick Everton, Forest, Brighton, 

• Like 1

Ok Ratings (bearing in mind I'm working and I missed some of the game as an idiot was kicking my cash machine because it swallowed his card)

McCarthy - 8 - Made a big save but also generally came out well for punches. If that's his last game then he's done us proud this last few weeks.

KWP - 7 - not his usual attacking brilliance but instead had to defend resolutely. Must keep next season.

THB - 7 - Another solid game against a great attack. Iffy challenge for the yellow card but otherwise good. Man's a Saint.

Bednarek - 8 - he's been excellent this season and did everything he needed to today. Great clean sheet.

Stephens - 6 - Some iffy passing especially in the first half and it took him a long time to get going but so pleased he got to lift the trophy.

Smallbone - 8 - He looked well up for it today. Possibly my MOTM, pass for the goal was excellent, free kick attempt for everything and he never stopped trying. Gets better every game.

Downes - 7 - Another solid game, so key to the way we play. Must sign.

Aribo - 7 - another player who has been a revelation this season and worked hard today.

Brooks - 6 - So sad for him that he had to go off.

AA - 8 - "he's not a striker" I am talking bollocks - did his job brilliantly today. So proud. A day he'll remember forever.

Fraser - 7 - Really worked hard offensively and defensively. My Bompey mate said he has an attitude problem - I didn't see that today.

Subs:

Edozie - 6 - some positivity but he lacks match fitness and match sharpness and perhaps should have scored.

Adams - 6 - Was working hard but the game had switched to all out defence by then.

Manning - 6 - That's being generous, I didn't even notice him when he came on.

Martin - 9 - Brilliant. Set us up well, adaptable. He's in the record books as the manager that got us promoted in 2024.

Agree y'all?

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Ok Ratings (bearing in mind I'm working and I missed some of the game as an idiot was kicking my cash machine because it swallowed his card)

McCarthy - 8 - Made a big save but also generally came out well for punches. If that's his last game then he's done us proud this last few weeks.

KWP - 7 - not his usual attacking brilliance but instead had to defend resolutely. Must keep next season.

THB - 7 - Another solid game against a great attack. Iffy challenge for the yellow card but otherwise good. Man's a Saint.

Bednarek - 8 - he's been excellent this season and did everything he needed to today. Great clean sheet.

Stephens - 6 - Some iffy passing especially in the first half and it took him a long time to get going but so pleased he got to lift the trophy.

Smallbone - 8 - He looked well up for it today. Possibly my MOTM, pass for the goal was excellent, free kick attempt for everything and he never stopped trying. Gets better every game.

Downes - 7 - Another solid game, so key to the way we play. Must sign.

Aribo - 7 - another player who has been a revelation this season and worked hard today.

Brooks - 6 - So sad for him that he had to go off.

AA - 8 - "he's not a striker" I am talking bollocks - did his job brilliantly today. So proud. A day he'll remember forever.

Fraser - 7 - Really worked hard offensively and defensively. My Bompey mate said he has an attitude problem - I didn't see that today.

Subs:

Edozie - 6 - some positivity but he lacks match fitness and match sharpness and perhaps should have scored.

Adams - 6 - Was working hard but the game had switched to all out defence by then.

Manning - 6 - That's being generous, I didn't even notice him when he came on.

Martin - 9 - Brilliant. Set us up well, adaptable. He's in the record books as the manager that got us promoted in 2024.

Agree y'all?

Who cares? Walk out, get home and open that bottle of wine.

• Haha 1

How good is this feeling though of actually winning something. Okay it’s a minor trophy in the grand scheme of things but for a club like us who never win anything and on the odd occasions we have got to a final it’s ended in heroic failure. To see us holding a trophy up was something I’ll never forget. This is why I’ve never understood those who choose league positions over cup runs. 

• Like 21

Wow, I feel like I played the 102 minutes on the big Wembley pitch!! Absolutely drained by the end of that game. Amazing support and amazing atmosphere. 

What a game, thought we shaded the first half and them the second, but we defended magnificently the whole game. The whole team played well and worked their socks off. As a Saints fan for 45 years this is a day to remember!! We’ve got to enjoy these moments as we don’t get too many of them. 

Enjoy your celebrations tonight folks. 

• Like 3

On the train home from Victoria.Mostly happy fans on here. Had to wait long enough for a pint and had a few before so time to put my aching foot up and snooze. 

Bastard Leeds fans pinched my crutch when I put it down for a second. Upset I suppose at us beating them three times in a season..

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Sitting here at Waterloo nursing a pint in the Brewdog pub (Not the main one..... The one opposite platform 8.) Sighing blissfully. 

That just happened. 

• Like 3

Amazing day. Incredible atmosphere at Wembley and yah boo to the cocky Leeds fans on the tube trying to get a rise. Great performance - especially Downes, Harwood Bellis, Aribo, Walker Peters, and yes, McCarthy. He was a solid presence throughout. Excited for next season

• Like 2

That goal. A tiny bit like Bobby Stokes? 1-0 against the favourite. Low and in the corner? Just me then. So happy and proud of the Saints fans. Had conditioned myself to another year on the Championship with thoughts of ‘at least there is no VAR’ etc. will need to strengthen cleverly, especially to replace Che. Brilliant that it finally happened to us and we made it

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Got to say the Leeds fans on my tube were sound. "Best of luck. Southampton always likeable and Le Tiss is a legend."

Edited by Chez
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Got to say the Leeds fans on my tube were sound. "Best of luck. Southampton always likeable and Le Tiss is a legend."

I watched it in a bar in the hotel and me and my lad were the only saints there about 25 or so Leeds. They were the same, brilliant, a few shook my hand and said well done you deserved it, another gave my lad who was in a saints shirt a big hug and said do you want to swap shirts, really sound bunch. Spoke to another at the bar for quite a while after, older guy who used to follow England and Leeds everywhere who was a top guy. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Can't say the same for the ones on ours, culminating in a bloke getting dragged off the train and arrested for racially abusing a member of the public.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

Same, lots of friendly chatter on the way back to the car.  They've been through it for quite a few years. Majority are decent people just like us.

For all this was great feeling, I don't ever want to be back here in a play off. To lose a game like this must be unbearable.

• Like 1

Great goal and a very nervy finish but this time we got it over the line.

This season has been everything I hoped for in August, a chance to bounce back with a repaired mojo. I've been critical of him but fair dues to RM - he steered it in.

Now it's over to the board to provide some serious investment as we're going to need a fair bit of strengthening in the close season. Will be exciting to see who we get...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I told you all back in September I’d rather win in the play offs than come second again. Best way in the world to go up that 👏👏👏👏👏

Another exclusive from the CoT

• Like 1

Just now, Saint NL said:

Championship Champions is a bit of a stretch though 😂

Yeah but what do the Yanks know about Soccer... 😀😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What a day. Nearly home. That was the most nerve-wracking last 15 minutes I've ever had. We played so well, defensively brilliant, who'd a thought it! 2nd leg and today have given more than enough amazing football memories to last forever. Nice one Saints. 

• Like 5