Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!

18 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Our super fan Rishi confirmed as being there on Sunday  :facepalm:

Everything he's done this week has been a total shitshow so I'd prefer it if he just watched it on telly a long way away.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Thanks to Rishi it now looks like it is going to fucking piss it down tomorrow.

What's our record like in the rain?

Never lost a play off final when it’s rained 

• Like 3

Some of the " name  pundits " in the media are making Leeds the favourites - well good ...say I.

It's puts the pressure on Leeds to perform,  and as " underdogs" should give Saints the freedom to play the way we know they can. 

Sadly I can't be at Wembley, but will be first in front of the TV with the grandchildren in Stockholm to cheer us on to victory .

COYR ..( or whatever colours we will be wearing).

• Like 5

On 23/05/2024 at 13:09, Saintbarry235 said:

What time is everyone thinking of arriving at Wembley ? I’m planning on arriving at 11am to soak up all the atmosphere, anyone think that’s too early ? 

11.45 at latest. If ticket doesn't scan then it's a 30 to 45 min queue for reprint. I'm hanging about later pending a correct result!

17 hours ago, Huffton said:

Coaches have come a long way since the 80's, wc and USBs are pretty much standard (if they work). Good chance the driver/s will be skates though...

Yeah what is with all coach drivers being skates??  We had one for the Newcastle away league cup game last year!  C*ck decided to come home around the closed M25 (clearly sign posted) resulting in us getting home at 7am...last time i venture back on the bingo buses!!

Been away all week so had ticket roulette when I got in.

Thankfully they are on the doormat, so that is one drama avoided. Now let’s go for tomorrow and all get behind the Saints (including Rishi for this one day only special!!).

COYS!!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With Che fit, I think it has to be the same 11 that started at Elland Road:

image.thumb.png.f84a53e816c72f8e4aefd73c0a7c3b7e.png

Very harsh on Brookes and Fraser but think that's our best 11 with everyone in their strongest position.  Also means we have those 2, plus Stewart and Edozie to come off the bench.

Edited by for_heaven's_Saint
  • Like 5

Reminder the Piccadilly Line has Engineering Work all weekend between Acton Town and King's X just on the off chance any of you were going to use car parks at stations. RRB is running. Hopefully that should lower footfall for me so I can watch the game without disruption!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Yeah what is with all coach drivers being skates??  We had one for the Newcastle away league cup game last year!  C*ck decided to come home around the closed M25 (clearly sign posted) resulting in us getting home at 7am...last time i venture back on the bingo buses!!

The travel club uses Lucketts who are based in Fareham. 

I’m watching the FA Cup, purely from the point of view that City’s style is so similar to ours but with top players. However, it’s worrying to see United 0-2 up at half-time with less of the possession. At a higher level obviously, it’s a concern that City are playing just like we might expect Saints to play…slow build up with little penetration into the oppo defence and getting done on the break. I hope Russ makes sure we take charge and provide their defenders much to think about.

I’m starting to get the nerves kicking. If I’m honest I’m shitting myself. 
thankfully I have a stoma so it’s not all bad. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My skate mates are relishing it,for the chance to take the piss. 🤦🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

With Che fit, I think it has to be the same 11 that started at Elland Road:

image.thumb.png.f84a53e816c72f8e4aefd73c0a7c3b7e.png

Very harsh on Brookes and Fraser but think that's our best 11 with everyone in their strongest position.  Also means we have those 2, plus Stewart and Edozie to come off the bench.

Makes complete sense but I think Adams is more likely to be a sub.

Assuming Stewart can only play 20mins or so we would be quite light in terms of impact from the bench if Adams starts, especially if ET is required.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I’m starting to get the nerves kicking. If I’m honest I’m shitting myself. 
thankfully I have a stoma so it’s not all bad. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My skate mates are relishing it,for the chance to take the piss. 🤦🏻

Somewhat surprisingly I’m ambivalent about a Saints game for possibly the first time ever. I’d like us to win but I’m not sure I want the prize that goes with it.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

My head says go with the back five and line up that did a good job before at Leeds. My heart says go with the front three from WBA home and take it to them from the start like we are the home team. And win in style. I have no idea which is better to start but I suspect it will be the back five with the more open game reserved for latter stages if required. 
NB. Brooks played his best game for saints that last match - was it a one off or not- because he’s been iffy tbh with us - but if THAT is his true level and he can repeat it he must get on the pitch. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m watching the FA Cup, purely from the point of view that City’s style is so similar to ours but with top players. However, it’s worrying to see United 0-2 up at half-time with less of the possession. At a higher level obviously, it’s a concern that City are playing just like we might expect Saints to play…slow build up with little penetration into the oppo defence and getting done on the break. I hope Russ makes sure we take charge and provide their defenders much to think about.

Yes. City have made a right mess of this possession-based football over the last few seasons. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

They also just won the league playing that style of football. 

The style itself isn't an issue, it's the fact we won't be able to attract/afford the level of players required play it effectively in the premier league.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I’ve never been to an away game by train before, starting to wonder wether to drive now.

I'd imagine the roads will be nightmarish.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Somewhat surprisingly I’m ambivalent about a Saints game for possibly the first time ever. I’d like us to win but I’m not sure I want the prize that goes with it.

I want to see us fucking win something (AS IN A BIG MATCH LIKE THIS NOT NECESSARILY AN ACTUAL ONE OF THE 3 TROPHIES THAT ARE AVAILABLE DOMESTICALLY AT THE START OF A SEASON). Just for once. The JPT don’t cut it and I’m too young to remember 76. 2nd place promotions are fine but it’s not actually winning. I’m not that bothered about playing in the Prem next year but I’ll be fucking gutted if I’m denied the joy of winning this match.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 11

36 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

I'd imagine the roads will be nightmarish.

I hope not as we are driving up tomorrow. We drove to the cup final in Cardiff and from memory,it wasn’t too bad, but when we drove up to the final, when we was robbed by a bent linesman, I remember it was pretty chocka getting to park by the stadium. We are parked by the stadium again, so going to leave about 9:30.

12 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I don't think I could handle the crushing defeat tomorrow. Please Saints! Win the final.

Come on bro we are saints fans, winning makes us feel weird.

Am strangely conflicted, i want us to win but again i am not too upset about being in the championship, i think the overriding desire to get promoted tho is down to the nonce in the 2nd Tier podcast who hates Martin so would like us to win just to see that tractor driving cock eat humble pie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, stknowle said:

I want to see us fucking win something. Just for once. The JPT don’t cut it and I’m too young to remember 76. 2nd place promotions are fine but it’s not actually winning. I’m not that bothered about playing in the Prem next year but I’ll be fucking gutted if I’m denied the joy of winning this match.

This is winning ‘3rd place ‘ so don’t know why that will satisfy you - it isn’t a real trophy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Iam neither excited or concerned about this game to be honest. Does that make me a laid back, mellow chap or as my wife says, a cold , stoney feelingless sod ?

Edited by Challenger
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

ready for tomorrow, my friends!

You've got the whole of Valenciennes behind you!

Go Saint's Go Southampton !!

photo taken from the gates of the Stade du Hainaut in Valenciennes

Capture001.PNG

Edited by ChristopheVAFC
  • Like 29

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Media have been all over Leeds.  Fuck knows why, horrible club.

The Telegraph  sSport had a whole double page spread on Leeds but not a word about the saints. IT REMINDS ME OF THE HYPE IN THE 1976 CUP FINAL when no paper gave Saits a prayer anewe beat man U. So let's hope w e confound the pundits again.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

ready for tomorrow, my friends!

You've got the whole of Valenciennes behind you!

Go Saint's Go Southampton !!

photo taken from the gates of the Stade du Hainaut in Valenciennes

Capture001.PNG

Loving this!!! Will start keeping an eye out for Valenciennes results next season 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waylander said:

Anyone driving - remember the M3 from J4A to the M25 is a 50 mph zone with average speed cameras (and they work)

Drove it this morning and traffic was a nightmare mid-morning. If you are driving this route I’d leave very early. 

3 minutes ago, RobJones1971 said:

Drove it this morning and traffic was a nightmare mid-morning. If you are driving this route I’d leave very early. 

Sunday of Bank Holiday weekend normally quieter traffic wise. Plus if it's going to rain less people will be out for the day

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-0 Leeds - Saints are Promoted!!
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic