Would we have lost....

benjii

36 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Now your obsession and prejudice and selective memory is leading you to talk crap. Because it has literally ever happened.

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/30998/12992677/phenomenal-save-from-bazunu-saints-gk-makes-top-stop

Or is this some other Bazunu?

A shot from close range straight at his planted leg?  Have a day off.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

So legs don't count now? His leg wasn't planted, he had to react to the shot.

If it wasn't close range then it wouldn't have been a relex save, would it?

You obsession is now verging on  malicious. Do us all a favour and find some other fixation.  Picking legs off spiders or something. 

1 hour ago, sambosa75 said:

“Remember that amazing one-handed reflex save Bazunu made v XYZ?”

no I don’t because it has literally never ever happened.

The saves McCarthy made on Sunday are exactly the type Bazunu makes all day. They were hardly amazing. Not sure why your judgement is so clouded on this. Peculiar. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

The saves McCarthy made on Sunday are exactly the type Bazunu makes all day. They were hardly amazing. Not sure why your judgement is so clouded on this. Peculiar. 

You must be watching a different Bazanu to the one i’ve watched this season and last. I entirely agree they were not amazing saves but it’s shows how poor he has been that a keeper showing solid glove work looks so good in comparison. I’m really glad we have AMC in goal at this stage of the season

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Galway saint said:

You must be watching a different Bazanu to the one i’ve watched this season and last. I entirely agree they were not amazing saves but it’s shows how poor he has been that a keeper showing solid glove work looks so good in comparison. I’m really glad we have AMC in goal at this stage of the season

There’s been nothing from McCarthy in the games he’s played since Gavin’s injury to show he’s a better keeper. In fact we look piss poor in possession in our defensive third and the out balls to wide players is woeful. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, sambosa75 said:

The only 'phenomenal' thing about that stop is that it DID hit his leg and not his crisp packet hands.

No way his Walkers cheese and onion wrappers are stopping either of the attempts if he was presented with the exact same scenarios.

11 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

So legs don't count now? His leg wasn't planted, he had to react to the shot.

If it wasn't close range then it wouldn't have been a relex save, would it?

You obsession is now verging on  malicious. Do us all a favour and find some other fixation.  Picking legs off spiders or something. 

So we’re going to totally ignore the ridiculous flap at the start of the sequence too, are we?

The leg when it makes contact with the shot is planted.  He then flicks his leg up.  Regardless, it’s a completely routine stop and appears to be your primary example of him being a competent keeper.  Of which he is not.

You could have swapped McC with another West Brom striker for the first half chance, and he’d still have saved it. I mean literally, I don’t think it would have been physically possible to dive out of the way of it in time, before it clouted you in the nads. If you’re going to criticise Baz for the goals conceded at Ipswich and praise McC for this, I don’t know what to say. The second half effort was hardly top bins either, it was six inches from his right leg.

IMG_0356.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

You could have swapped McC with another West Brom striker for the first half chance, and he’d still have saved it. I mean literally, I don’t think it would have been physically possible to dive out of the way of it in time, before it clouted you in the nads. If you’re going to criticise Baz for the goals conceded at Ipswich and praise McC for this, I don’t know what to say. The second half effort was hardly top bins either, it was six inches from his right leg.

IMG_0356.jpeg

You are assuming Baz would have been in the same position, McCarthy made that save look easy by being in the right spot like good keepers do. Baz may well have done the same but many a time this season his positioning has seemed questionable..  

I still think he will be a top keeper, he makes some good reflex saves and is excellent with his feet. Positioning and decision making are things that should improve with experience.

• Like 2

The big difference for me was the way AM dealt with their dangerous long throws. We’d have conceded from at least one with Baz in nets. I can’t believe this is even up for debate, as average as AM is, he’s a level up from Baz in actual goalkeeping. You know, the thing a goal keepers paid to do.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The big difference for me was the way AM dealt with their dangerous long throws. We’d have conceded from at least one with Baz in nets. 

Like we did on the 2 previous meetings

17 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Wait a minute ! Bazunu makes saves ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the colonel said:

Would we have lost if McCarthy had to make a save on his near post?

Just as pointless as the original question.

It’s a football forum. People can pose hypothetical questions and you can see it’s prompted some decent discussion.

Fine we can’t form any firm conclusions but it’s worth a question,

albeit maybe on the Bazunu thread.

For what it’s worth I think we would have lost with him in goal but that’s because I view him as a dreadful keeper

8 hours ago, aintforever said:

You are assuming Baz would have been in the same position, McCarthy made that save look easy by being in the right spot like good keepers do. Baz may well have done the same but many a time this season his positioning has seemed questionable..  

I still think he will be a top keeper, he makes some good reflex saves and is excellent with his feet. Positioning and decision making are things that should improve with experience.

My perception of Bazunu is that too many savable shots seem to pass him by too easily. This seems to be borne out by the statistics this season (I think that he was bottom of the PL stats last season also).

Screenshot_20240515_071038_FotMob.jpg

Some people will always hold prejudice for a player. The basis of this entire thread is basically “Let’s slag off Gavin Bazunu because he hasn’t played”.

What an utterly pointless and pathetic thread this is.

I certainly hope you aren’t at the match on Friday. 
Then again if you are and Saints did lose, it would be interesting how you spin the result as somehow being Bazunu’s fault. 😂

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Some people will always hold prejudice for a player. The basis of this entire thread is basically “Let’s slag off Gavin Bazunu because he hasn’t played”.

What an utterly pointless and pathetic thread this is.

I certainly hope you aren’t at the match on Friday. 
Then again if you are and Saints did lose, it would be interesting how you spin the result as somehow being Bazunu’s fault. 😂

Think it’s more a realisation thread that if we had a normal keeper that saved shots in goal we would probably have done a lot better and maybe gone up automatically ..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Think it’s more a realisation thread that if we had a normal keeper that saved shots in goal we would probably have done a lot better and maybe gone up automatically ..

We were more than 9 points off automatic. There is no keeper that would have made that difference.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We were more than 9 points off automatic. There is no keeper that would have made that difference.

Nonsense. If Baz had managed to keep the ball out of the net at Portman Road, the gap to Ipswich in 2nd would have been only 3 points.

I can also think of two other late equalisers - against Rotherham at home and Watford away - that a better keeper could/should have saved. That would have given us an extra 4 points.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Nonsense. If Baz had managed to keep the ball out of the net at Portman Road, the gap to Ipswich in 2nd would have been only 3 points.

I can also think of two other late equalisers - against Rotherham at home and Watford away - that a better keeper could/should have saved. That would have given us an extra 4 points.

And with a different keeper who wasn’t so composed with the ball at his feet we’d have been much more susceptible to the press, have conceded more that way and would have started fewer attacks playing out from the back. If you’re going to criticise Baz for Ipswich, you have to take away our second goal which started from him playing it out quickly from the back.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

And with a different keeper who wasn’t so composed with the ball at his feet we’d have been much more susceptible to the press, have conceded more that way and would have started fewer attacks playing out from the back. If you’re going to criticise Baz for Ipswich, you have to take away our second goal which started from him playing it out quickly from the back.

He's not Pirlo with the ball at his feet FFS. He's a decent ball playing keeper but nothing special and not good enough to warrant putting up with his complete lack of basic goalkeeping awareness.

McCarthy has been just as good playing out as he was, finding the fullbacks with long passes, looking dodgy a couple of times playing it short to CBs yes but Bazunu has also had plenty of those moments himself.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

But even a better keeper wouldn’t have kept those goals out so your theory is false.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Was that Ipswich? If not it wouldn’t have affected that result.

Please don’t waste our time.

Right, so when you said "those goals", what you actually meant was "those Ipswich goals". That wasn't clear because my post referred to other games as well.

So let's examine those Ipswich goals shall we...

If you genuinely think no keeper could have saved either of those then I really don't know what to say. 

Edit: And just for clarity, some on the match thread were criticising Baz for their first goal, but not me. It was at the near post from a tight angle, but it was an absolute thunderbastard of a shot and would have caught most keepers out. 

But the second and third goals were speculative toe-pokes and he got nowhere near either of them.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Right, so when you said "those goals", what you actually meant was "those Ipswich goals". That wasn't clear because my post referred to other games as well.

So let's examine those Ipswich goals shall we...

If you genuinely think no keeper could have saved either of those then I really don't know what to say. 

Edit: And just for clarity, some on the match thread were criticising Baz for their first goal, but not me. It was at the near post from a tight angle, but it was an absolute thunderbastard of a shot and would have caught most keepers out. 

But the second and third goals were speculative toe-pokes and he got nowhere near either of them.

“If Baz had managed to keep the ball out of the net at Portman Road“

Were the words you used.

”But even a better keeper wouldn’t have kept those goals out”

Was my reply, note”no keeper could have saved those.

Their second goal is exactly the sort that you will see on any weekend. There was a very similar one that went past Pickford. Fast, low down by the keeper’s side, is exactly what strikers are told to do.

The third was a toe-poke but hardly speculative and into the side netting from very close range. Nobody is stopping that one.

We clearly have different opinions base on our different experiences.

Criticising Bazunu for a game in which he didn’t feature though is weird, just weird.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Criticising Bazunu for a game in which he didn’t feature though is weird, just weird.

What’s weird about it. If Mara is dropped Friday, are we suddenly not allowed to say how shite he is? Are we not allowed to say “thank god he’s not playing”, if Che Adam’s bangs in the winner, nobody is allowed to state “Mara wouldn’t have scored that”. Fuck me, why does Baz merit different treatment than everyone else, it’s not that he’s any good. It’s perfectly reasonable to mention how shite Baz is and how lucky we are he got injured. We’d probably be 2 down if he wasn’t. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The people who do this shame us and themselves. 

Oh ffs calm down, it was a hypotheitcal question inviting people to comment, that's what these boards are for, sorry if that's news to you!

If you dont like the topic heading just scroll past it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

“If Baz had managed to keep the ball out of the net at Portman Road“

Were the words you used.

”But even a better keeper wouldn’t have kept those goals out”

Was my reply, note”no keeper could have saved those.

Their second goal is exactly the sort that you will see on any weekend. There was a very similar one that went past Pickford. Fast, low down by the keeper’s side, is exactly what strikers are told to do.

The third was a toe-poke but hardly speculative and into the side netting from very close range. Nobody is stopping that one.

We clearly have different opinions base on our different experiences.

This is the problem with Bazunu, none of the goals he concedes are particularly howlers - but you are always left feeling afterwards ''should he have saved that?''.  If he'd prevented maybe 1 or 2 of those goals at Ipswich it would be a ''what a save!!!'' moment, but my argument is that he doesn't seem capable of stunning saves at crucial times. I'd expect any goalkeeper at any level to pull off match winning saves across a season.

The topic is a bit of a mute point now though, as it's hard to say how he'd have dealt with the shots at WBA. We have to plan the next 12 months without him anyway, if I'm totally blunt I really hope the club use it as an opportunity to replace him. No stop gaps please.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

The save AM made at 1-0 was an important turning point last night. They were in the middle of a spell of pressure & had that gone in, it would have been a completely different story. We’ll never know if Baz would have saved it, but seeing as he rarely keeps those out, my opinion is, no fucking  way he saved that. 

Sad as it is, his injury has made promotion more likely. Hopefully the powers that be will take note & understand a new keeper is required next season. 

Alex made an excellent save to tip that effort over the bar, although he did also have two clangers which he got away with. One dropping a fairly easy looping ball, which the opponent didn’t even challenge for, the other passing the ball straight to a WBA player about 30 yards out. Thankfully neither were punished on this occasion.

Im not sure we’ve really seen anything Baz wouldn’t have done in the last two games. Given that his weakness seems to be shots hit low, hard and primarily to the left, none of the three saves McC made have really fulfilled that criteria. They were all straight at him at varying heights and didn’t need any lateral movement.

• Like 1