The Pompey Thread

jawillwill

5 hours ago, rooney said:

If Sims can find a career there-good luck to him as these lads must be gutted when they are released by our club. I expect Charlie will end up there too as he has been released by WBA.

Charlie is off to QPR.

14 hours ago, The Cat said:

Have they got any players left?

Losing all your best players and most of the rest every season because you can’t afford to pay them from May till August. Having to build a new team from scratch every year. Life is tough when you’re a small club struggling to survive at the bottom end of the football league. Arf. 

• Haha 2

Wikipedia very helpfully lists all the teams in League One 21/22 by ground capacity - Portsmouth are eighth on the list after Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, MK Dons, Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton and Wigan.

Medium-sized fish in a medium-sized pond now. Where they belong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, igsey said:

Wikipedia very helpfully lists all the teams in League One 21/22 by ground capacity - Portsmouth are eighth on the list after Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, MK Dons, Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton and Wigan.

Just outside the playoffs, where they will hopefully remain...

• Like 1

If they are indeed finally attempting to operate in a solvent manner they should be applauded.

It's taken approx six bankruptcy events and 130 years for them to consider financial fairplay, but it's progress. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 05/06/2021 at 12:38, igsey said:

Watmough and Close both leaving for bigger clubs, and they've released a bunch on a free after trying to give them new contracts on worse terms.

Is that the same as Watmough (OG) as he appears in the press ?

They now have just 14 players on their books, having lost many of the less-shit ones, and all but three of those remaining have their contracts up next summer, including million pound man John Marquis. No wonder the manager and the hapless clown CEO did a bunk.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/contract-status-every-portsmouth-player-5512999

• Haha 1

Star striker turns down Pompey to opt for our Nigel's Charlton. Strangely, the attraction of playing in front of the passionate baying few did not sway him.

They need to recruit about 10 players and are clearly losing out to clubs with bigger budgets for many of their main targets. Come the beginning of the season they will frantically be signing whoever's left

2 hours ago, Danbert said:

Star striker turns down Pompey to opt for our Nigel's Charlton. Strangely, the attraction of playing in front of the passionate baying few did not sway him.

They need to recruit about 10 players and are clearly losing out to clubs with bigger budgets for many of their main targets. Come the beginning of the season they will frantically be signing whoever's left

Or playing five a side....

19 hours ago, Danbert said:

Probably doesn't help that all their players are leaving to strengthen the clubs around them. Watmough and Naylor have gone to Wigan, Close to Doncaster, Williams to Oxford, MacGillivray (no. 1 keeper and their player of the year) is going to Charlton or Ipswich. Seems only Cannon has made the move to a different league, going up to the Championship with Hull.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to The News:  "Pompey have today completed the landmark purchase of the Roko training facility. The Blues have acquired the freehold for the Hilsea facility and its surrounding land - which is believed means they will own their own training facility for the first time."

One of the comments below says "Great news, can’t wait to see the negative spins on this one……".

OK, I'll start. Why didn't they get it when they had Premier money? Is it because this is a different club?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

According to The News:  "Pompey have today completed the landmark purchase of the Roko training facility. The Blues have acquired the freehold for the Hilsea facility and its surrounding land - which is believed means they will own their own training facility for the first time."

One of the comments below says "Great news, can’t wait to see the negative spins on this one……".

OK, I'll start. Why didn't they get it when they had Premier money? Is it because this is a different club?

roomer has it the bottom line is after Arry bags and supposedly dodgy owners slice of pie, plus the chance to rent on the never never, we may not of had a pot to piss in.:suspicious:

Hope this helps,  

So, the much-vaunted "10 million redevelopment of Fatton Park" is actually just performing essential maintenance at the last minute on the money sink before it collapses:

Cullen admits that the stadium needed to be acted on fast before authorities had to act and limit the club’s capacity allowance.

The capacity is going to drop below 10,000, let’s not get away from the facts. It is going to deteriorate year on year on year

We are going to get to a position where if you don’t make these improvements, the safety authorities, the license authorities will be saying that you are not fit for purpose, so you can only open these areas of the ground, so that is serious

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/portsmouth-fratton-park-fans-cullen-5548973

• Haha 3

On 17/06/2021 at 15:29, suewhistle said:

But they are going to bring it up to the level of Brighton's and Saints Training grounds did'nt you know? 

• Confused 1

On 14/06/2021 at 21:25, mack rill said:

Wot about that then you feckin scummers, the powers that be at Fratton are going to drag our home into the 21st century by spending millions turning a 20,000 stadium into a 20,000 stadium,,,appy days,😎 

full steam ahead on the mock tudor milton end makeover then. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Plenty of the blue few in the comments expecting the triallists to be well known,  big name players....

I do miss reading Factless Allen's drivel ever since he blocked me shortly after the current Fratton Park club were formed. #badgeofhonour

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Plenty of the blue few in the comments expecting the triallists to be well known,  big name players....

Presumably the best triallists will only get down to Portsmouth once England get knocked out of the Euros and become free.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Danbert said:

They've got League 2 Rochdale's 19-year-old reserve keeper in on loan to replace their player of the season 🤣

That's Premier League Champions Manchester City's goalkeeper that they've taken on loan in a massive coup. Never mind he got relegated out of League 1 last season.

On 26/05/2021 at 08:10, Weston Super Saint said:

I love this quote :

Not just a competitive budget, but a 'very, very competitive budget', some might even say 'the bestest budget'.

And yet, what have they achieved in the past four seasons with their very, very competitive budget?

The bestestmostest budget ever.

seeing them drifting nowhere, or should I say floundering in division 3, puts into stark contrast how Markus and nik nak managed the club in order to rise as quickly as possible back to the top tier. Their own rich owner seems to be mirroring our current owner, expecting the club to pay its way without the kind of financial injection (that Markus gave us, which obviously was a huge factor in us getting promoted) that gives you such a huge advantage over the rest. I thought with Eisner they would try to emulate us, by spending big and then recouping that investment once back in the top flight. Ah well. Never mind.

• Haha 1

On 07/07/2021 at 19:45, Chez said:

seeing them drifting nowhere, or should I say floundering in division 3, puts into stark contrast how Markus and nik nak managed the club in order to rise as quickly as possible back to the top tier. Their own rich owner seems to be mirroring our current owner, expecting the club to pay its way without the kind of financial injection (that Markus gave us, which obviously was a huge factor in us getting promoted) that gives you such a huge advantage over the rest. I thought with Eisner they would try to emulate us, by spending big and then recouping that investment once back in the top flight. Ah well. Never mind.

We spent big to get out of League One.

They have been there so long now they've spent the same amount, to not get out of League One.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rallyboy said:

We spent big to get out of League One.

They have been there so long now they've spent the same amount, to not get out of League One.

That's because they tell us it is better watching League 1 than the PL as the football is better. 

I always thought Caitlin had that rosy-cheeked piss artist look. And Paul Cook was obviously on the sauce. Well, turns out they all were.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/it-was-a-bit-of-a-party-holiday-ive-never-had-a-pre-season-like-it-adam-barton-on-portsmouths-drinking-sessions-which-inspired-success-under-paul-cook-3300988

I ended up getting injured. I’d never had a groin injury in my life – and had also never been drunk and asked to run up sand dunes and sprint on a beach the day after!

• Lighthouse changed the title to The Pompey Thread