The Pompey Thread

jawillwill

• 1 month later...

It's always quite amusing looking back on some of these threads: some posters do like making themselves hostage to fortune..

My Portsmouth area football team mates were quite busy on our chat with the banter before the game but surprisingly quiet now!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They were really looking forward to playing us, bless them. 

Dear Skate Cunts,

Firstly we apologise for the delayed reply but we’ve been preoccupied with an engagement in London recently.

Anyway, we’re going to have to decline your invitation for a visit to Notarff Krap in the foreseeable future as having checked our diaries we have a prior engagement with the Premier League.

Thanks again for thinking of us, 

Yours sincerely  ( and up yours)

Dragan, Henrik, Rasmus, Katherina,  and Russ.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 06/04/2024 at 17:02, Daft Kerplunk said:

One benefit of this powder puff piss poor end to the attempt to get promoted is that we will get to play our local rivals twice in a year. Scarily, they’ll be fired up after being promoted and we will be stripped of talent off the back of a disappointing non-promotion season that for awhile looked promising. 

Ye had little faith

• Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 17:02, Daft Kerplunk said:

One benefit of this powder puff piss poor end to the attempt to get promoted is that we will get to play our local rivals twice in a year. Scarily, they’ll be fired up after being promoted and we will be stripped of talent off the back of a disappointing non-promotion season that for awhile looked promising. 

This aged well 😀

• Like 2

On 07/04/2024 at 05:14, Andrew Watson said:

Do not bank on our bottlers beating the skates at Fratton next year,what a dreadful thought that is,but we really are a bunch of softies who fold under any sort of pressure.

Oh I am 100% sure we won't.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I see they are creaming themselves on various websites because the owners have spent £15m on stadium improvements, claiming it shows the ambition and commitment of the owners. Seemingly oblivious that it actually represents the bare minimum to keep Fratton Park viable as a football stadium. Without this spend the capacity would be down to about 10k……!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SW5 SAINT said:

I see they are creaming themselves on various websites because the owners have spent £15m on stadium improvements, claiming it shows the ambition and commitment of the owners. Seemingly oblivious that it actually represents the bare minimum to keep Fratton Park viable as a football stadium. Without this spend the capacity would be down to about 10k……!

10 thousand ? So just a typical small skate family reunion.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Haha 4

On 07/06/2024 at 12:22, SW5 SAINT said:

What are they actually spending it on then? Functioning women's toilets, non collapsing seats (both personal experiences), non-rusting barriers, in date fire extinguishers, paying St. John's Ambulance in advance, making sure roof panels haven't got holes or won't drop off?? Even Man U don't have to bother with the latter!

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

I haven't seen the full fixture list yet, when are the two pompey derby games?

26th June is when the fixture list is published; not just Pompey Derby, but Pompey Stoke, Pompey Burnley, and Pompey Plymouth.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

I haven't seen the full fixture list yet, when are the two pompey derby games?

I’m afraid it’s disappointment for our friends down the road, they were so certain that the wait was over for derby matches to begin again…..😀

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Danbert said:

Don't worry they'll be fine. They've just signed an 11m winger from under our noses 🤪

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/josh-murphy-pompey-oxford-united-john-mousinho-qpr-4679882

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Blimey. Southampton even sent a scout to watch him!! 

"Linked" = "Sent a scout to watch" :facepalm:

#portsmyths

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, trousers said:

Chortle emojis at the ready with those August and September fixtures.... ;)

20240626_093638.jpg

That’s a brutal opening couple of months, until they play Oxford. However Oxford always seem to get a result against Pompey…..!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bakovnetski said:

The battle of Waterloo

It still will be even if the Spurs-Saints game is moved, Millwall v the Skates has a long history of trouble eg Waterloo station when it kicked off between their fans late 90s/early 00s. IIRC the skates were in a pub next to the station called the Windmill. Just like the Thomas Crown Affair theme tune, the Millwall had the Windmill in their minds and getting at the skates in it. Quite a battle by all accounts and the pub was totalled - was Dec 2001 http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/programmes/2002/hooligans/diary/portsmouth.stm

Edit - the poor old Windmill, more trouble 10 or so years on https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/pub-wrecked-as-football-fans-clash-6335058.html

No wonder that fixture has been played behind closed doors at times!

• Sad 1

Looking at the fixtures, all the times they're heading west (and therefore the trains will go via Southampton Central), it's either a midweek game where we're not playing, or a weekend that we're also playing away (For instance, they're at Swansea when we're heading east to Brighton).

• Like 1

On 26/06/2024 at 17:30, SW5 SAINT said:

That’s a brutal opening couple of months, until they play Oxford. However Oxford always seem to get a result against Pompey…..!

kin-el that's taking the piss first 7 games😱

12 hours ago, mack rill said:

kin-el that's taking the piss first 7 games😱

Yeah, we've got an easy first 7, only have to play Newcastle, Man Utd, and Arsenal.

Still, you do get 2 Derby games.

90168578-F689-4012-80BD-0B9A9CF5C860.thumb.jpeg.61f1ca5392d52fcdd3adc5ecdfbf7d11.jpeg

Found this whilst searching internet for something else. 

For those living locally, how accurate do you think this is ? Indicates a fairly even split in Winchester although I always regarded that as firmly Saints territory. Romsey, Stockbridge also ‘ours’. 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

90168578-F689-4012-80BD-0B9A9CF5C860.thumb.jpeg.61f1ca5392d52fcdd3adc5ecdfbf7d11.jpeg

For those living locally, how accurate do you think this is ? Indicates a fairly even split in Winchester although I always regarded that as firmly Saints territory. Romsey, Stockbridge also ‘ours’. 

I always thought Fareham was fairly evenly split (where my dad grew up he went to school with Saints and Pompey fans) but it's showing as white. What does white represent?

• Lighthouse changed the title to The Pompey Thread
8 hours ago, Badger said:

As a Winchester local, this is highly inaccurate. 

A fond memory I have is watching the Saints v Skates at Fratton Park in December 2011 in the Eclipse Inn. It was rammed 100% full of Saints fans. A Dad and Son in Blue tucked their heads in during the first half to try and watch the match. They very quickly backed out.