Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

I think the SPL links for a striker are just hangover from the Championship era.
Same with Danny Ings, lazy journalism, nothing concrete, has been knocked down every time from the more credible sources.

The Guido Rodriguez link screams Gaston Ramirez - stranger things have happened but doesn’t stand out as a classic Russell Martin signing.

Sugawara looks exciting should KWP leave, but of a shame if he wants out.

Downes for KWP looks the likely agreement however I think they’ll be two separate deals to help FFP.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

The pre-contract that Guido Rodriguez signed lapsed at the end of May.  It seems he is genuinely without a club. If realistically available he would be an INSANE signing and would provide the steel (not Steele) in midfield that we have lacked since Romeu left.  I wonder what the catch is.  Where is the link to us?  I do not see it on the COT thread.

Cannot see it myself but he would be someone Charley could talk to.  

5 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Of course it’s not in the COT thread. 
It’s just a few having a laugh 🎣 

It's not in the COT post because we don't deal in speculation or rumour, just actual transfers and contracts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Found this article interesting - not really heard of these guys except SKD’s son. Could we have some jewels already in the Academy without spending £m’s?

https://www.southamptonfc.news/opinion/3-southampton-u-21-gems-who-could-catch-russell-martins-eye-in-pre-season-friendly-v-totton/

I'd expect Sonnie & Nico to go out on loan.  Nico is good, but Ronnie & Nathan joining obviously puts him down the pecking order.

Joe (I'd guess) will stay because the 21's are seriously lacking midfielders.

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Found this article interesting - not really heard of these guys except SKD’s son. Could we have some jewels already in the Academy without spending £m’s?

https://www.southamptonfc.news/opinion/3-southampton-u-21-gems-who-could-catch-russell-martins-eye-in-pre-season-friendly-v-totton/

Very unlikely because you have to be exceptional and our best U21s have either left or are already in the first team setup.

The majority might have careers in football but it won't be PL/Championship.

Edited by Dusic

This move would be a big step back in Guido's career. The intentions of the player and his agents are to stay in Europe, but no major club has just bid for him, in fact he would only have an offer from Southampton.

Found this on one of the twitter sites earlier. Translated obviously 😉

On 10/07/2024 at 18:31, Midfield_General said:

Not until we've got a starting keeper who is demonstrably better than Macca. Taylor, Sugawara and Edwards all look kind of decent enough on paper but they aren't world-beaters, by Prem standards they are bargain bucket signings, and it also looks like we're also going to lose KWP, the one defender we do have who has consistently proven himself as solid PL-quality. If that's the defence then we're still going to face a lot of shots, and if we don't have a proper Prem keeper then we still look to me like we're going to concede a hell of a lot. 

Must remember that it's not just the squad. Russell Martin has never been able to organise/coach defence or midfield. 

Unless RM suddenly learns how to to do this, we will get hammered regardless of our squad

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Atalanta could be used by agents to spur other clubs into bidding. Fab is used by agents and clubs all the time help steer the market. I'm not concerned about Atalanta. If it is genuinely interest and players opts for them so be it but I suspect MOR would prefer move to PL over Serie A

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Atalanta could be used by agents to spur other clubs into bidding. Fab is used by agents and clubs all the time help steer the market. I'm not concerned about Atalanta. If it is genuinely interest and players opts for them so be it but I suspect MOR would prefer move to PL over Serie A

I doubt he'd prefer struggling in the premier league to playing european football in a team that's just finished fourth in Serie A.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Less confident since we got beat by Ipswich for our main striker target, TBF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Made the champions league again, plus the Europa league win and Hojland transfer fee will have sorted their finances right out. I'd say they are an attractive option. I guess they are a stepping stone club too, but CL is a very nice window to present yourself in. They did just spend about £25m on another attacking midfielder, de Keteleare, turning his loan into a permanent. 

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Made the champions league again, plus the Europa league win and Hojland transfer fee will have sorted their finances right out. I'd say they are an attractive option. I guess they are a stepping stone club too, but CL is a very nice window to present yourself in. They did just spend about £25m on another attacking midfielder, de Keteleare, turning his loan into a permanent. 

They are a very impressive outfit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm sure we were linked with him a couple of years back too, when he was still playing in Belgium.

Atalanta are a class team, if I was a player I'd love to play for them. 

Us or Atalanta isn't really a hard decision to make if we're really honest. When you go after good players, good clubs will also want them - so at least we're identifying high end targets that better/bigger teams want.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yep, when we got relegated I didn't worry too much because at least we'd tried to get Gakpo and Ramos. 

It's a fair point and we do have to get a couple of these bigger signings over the line. 

• Like 2

Is this the point in the window when the lilly-livered start complaining we’re getting relegated as we’re not signing our main transfer targets?  Out of interest, at what point in the window do we actually start getting worried? Is the current team capable of surviving? What else do we need as essentials? For me it’s Downes or a equal/better replacement and a striker equal/better than Adams - everything else is nice to have.

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Is this the point in the window when the lilly-livered start complaining we’re getting relegated as we’re not signing our main transfer targets?  Out of interest, at what point in the window do we actually start getting worried? Is the current team capable of surviving? What else do we need as essentials? For me it’s Downes or an equal/better replacement and a striker equal/better than Adams - everything else is nice to have.

Minimum Downes or equivalent plus at least one upgrade of either Aribo or Smallbone in the other midfield slot.

Another striker would also be good as we have no idea how Stewart will do.

If we are playing Five at the back then we won’t use wingers that often.

• Like 1

The window is open for another 50 days.  As much as we'd like to get our business done as soon as possible, no doubt some transfers may have to wait until after the season has started.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Is this the point in the window when the lilly-livered start complaining we’re getting relegated as we’re not signing our main transfer targets?  Out of interest, at what point in the window do we actually start getting worried? Is the current team capable of surviving? What else do we need as essentials? For me it’s Downes or a equal/better replacement and a striker equal/better than Adams - everything else is nice to have.

For a number of seasons now we have been relying on goalkeepers who are not up to the required level. Ok, we'll probably struggle to unearth another Niemi but surely we should be able to identify a keeper who can save us points over a season rather than cost them.

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

For a number of seasons now we have been relying on goalkeepers who are not up to the required level. Ok, we'll probably struggle to unearth another Niemi but surely we should be able to identify a keeper who can save us points over a season rather than cost them.

Schmeichel is  free agent, apparently Celtic are interested.. I mean he's right their! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

hadn't seen it in a while and love this term (honorary mention for toe the line as well), for those far afield whose google translate has a shit fit this is what it means.

"From the medieval belief that the liver was the seat of courage, and the pale color of the lily flower. A person who had no blood in their liver would have no courage and would thus be a coward."

Yes i am bored 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ok decided to be a bit more productive, went to the AZ forum for their feedback on suzuki yuki.

They think we are getting a great deal for 6-7mil they think they should of got over 10 for him.  

"Statistical player of the month, statistically best back of the eredevise at the moment".

• Nearly 200 games in AZ 1st team.
  • Including 50 European matches.

Also as an aside, are AZ an underrated money making factory, some of the players from their recently:

- koopmeiners (14mil forum favourite from a few years ago and proves we know midfielders)

Pavlidis (another forum shout out, he's just gone this month for 25mil to Benfica) 

- Jahanbaksh - brighton wasted 22mil on and currently without club

- Janssen - spurs wasted 22mil on

- Reijnders - AC Milan 19 mil

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

For sake of not having an argument with @lambtiss even if he was 3rd choice, we still lost out to Ipswich for him.

....but if he was third choice, we wouldn't be too worried about being beaten to him? I would be more pissed if we lost our first and/or second choice to them....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

....but if he was third choice, we wouldn't be too worried about being beaten to him? I would be more pissed if we lost our first and/or second choice to them....

FFS...because the fact we agreed a fee for our third choice suggests we also missed our first and second choice.

Can also stop thinking about O'Riley - clear we are financially unable to compete for players who are in demand.

Broja on a loan with option would be a great deal for us IMO..and I think most loans will open up in Aug.

Hard not to be a little pesimistic so far...first XI worse than in May!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

FFS...because the fact we agreed a fee for our third choice suggests we also missed our first and second choice.

Can also stop thinking about O'Riley - clear we are financially unable to compete for players who are in demand.

Broja on a loan with option would be a great deal for us IMO..and I think most loans will open up in Aug.

There's still just over month to go but the Striker and CM situation is a big worry. If Downes doesn't sign then you could argue we need a whole new midfield!

Aribo didn't fare too well in the Prem last time and Smallbones limitations off the ball will be shown up at a higher level. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dusic said:

How stupid of me! Theres me thinking that the club would be talking to a number of players at once to see what develops. I didn't realised that they talked to them one at a time in order of preference.......it all makes sense now that you have explained it for me....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, notnowcato said:

The window is open for another 50 days.  As much as we'd like to get our business done as soon as possible, no doubt some transfers may have to wait until after the season has started.

I genuinely think our best signings will come at the back end of august, predominately loans. I think we'll make really good use of the loan market, like we did last year - but we'll need to wait until well towards the end as that's when the good loans become available. I'm sure we've put our hat in the ring on a few already, but we've just got to bide our time on those.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Odd signing for Leeds, if he's replacing an exiting Gruev or Kamara then they are a bit screwed.

He was a funny addition for us, scored some big goals and had some big 'moments', but his overall contribution to our general play was awful I thought. He couldn't pass for toffee to start with.

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Odd signing for Leeds, if he's replacing an exiting Gruev or Kamara then they are a bit screwed.

He was a funny addition for us, scored some big goals and had some big 'moments', but his overall contribution to our general play was awful I thought. He couldn't pass for toffee to start with.

He's not a bad player and he obviously has some level of skill but he's a bit meh. Championship level for sure. If we were to sign one of Brooks or Rothwell permanently it'd be Brooks. Though obviously I hope we're aiming higher.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I genuinely think our best signings will come at the back end of august, predominately loans. I think we'll make really good use of the loan market, like we did last year - but we'll need to wait until well towards the end as that's when the good loans become available. I'm sure we've put our hat in the ring on a few already, but we've just got to bide our time on those.

The trouble is in the PL you really do have to hit the ground running and bringing in loanees ater the season has started is asking for trouble. Not all of last season’s loan players were successful either. Holgate and Rothwell two examples. All promoted clubs have to “splash the cash” to some degree but it seems our hands are tied somewhat. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

The trouble is in the PL you really do have to hit the ground running and bringing in loanees ater the season has started is asking for trouble. Not all of last season’s loan players were successful either. Holgate and Rothwell two examples. All promoted clubs have to “splash the cash” to some degree but it seems our hands are tied somewhat. 

Especially given our fixtures over the first month or so - potential winnable games that we can't afford to waste. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Especially given our fixtures over the first month or so - potential winnable games that we can't afford to waste. 

So would you rather we followed up Newcastle away, with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Villa away, so that we can afford to make a slow start?!

😜 

37 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

So would you rather we followed up Newcastle away, with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Villa away, so that we can afford to make a slow start?!

😜

It’s actually the best time to play those teams 

• Like 2