Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

7 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Who's Sugawara going to have a bromance with?

Much like Romeu and Yoshida did!

Yoshida trained with us last November. I will always remember Yoshida scored a header and he said he’d used Grazianos Pelle barber which aided his header. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Would be nice to get him and Downes in. Badly need two DM's this summer (wouldn't be against loaning Charles back to the championship) 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He'd comfortably be our best player on FM25 if he signed.

Who is it currently? I'm hoping Will Smallbone gets a boost!

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Walker-Peters 

Ah - I'm still playing 23 mobile and KWP wasn't as good as Tino or, weirdly, Bree, so I'd usually sell him. 😀

13 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Ah - I'm still playing 23 mobile and KWP wasn't as good as Tino or, weirdly, Bree, so I'd usually sell him. 😀

Saints must have a dodgy FM researcher.

• Haha 7

44 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

31 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Saints must have a dodgy FM researcher.

Walker-Peters is better than both of them in FM23 (and is miles ahead of Bree), although Livramento has a higher PA than KWP.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Chez said:

they (along with Chelsea) attract the best youngsters and keep them by actually paying them a small fortune. They play for the England age groups, everyone else knows all about them and inevitably there is a degree of trust that their pedigree, potential and talent will turn into top quality senior players.  Some fail, but some become Jadon Sancho £90m superstars.

Fair comment, but in Gunn and Bazunu they’ve for 8 figure fees for 2 really poor keepers.  And now £20m for a striker who has achieved the square root of bugger all.  Beggars belief.

3 hours ago, West end Saints said:

The pricing with WHU is tricky.

If they were at the same stage of their contracts KWP would be worth significantly more than Downes.

Downes is 25 and unproven at the top level (63 of his appearances at league 1 and 2 level).

KWP is 27 with over 100 prem appearances, performed well enough to be picked for England. Also reliable fitness.

He would easily be worth double but clearly the last year of his contract makes a difference.

I wonder if there is better value elsewhere than Downes, as much as he would be a good fit with us and RM.

The discussion about starting CB - if Stephens and Bednarek are still here and fit at least one will be first choice. No way will Martin want to start in premier league with CBs who are both young and not played at that level 

Think he will start with THB and Bednarek, also likely Stephens if he goes with the three (the youngsters on the bench).  Knowing Martin there will be some promotion team loyalty in the first few games.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fair comment, but in Gunn and Bazunu they’ve for 8 figure fees for 2 really poor keepers.  And now £20m for a striker who has achieved the square root of bugger all.  Beggars belief.

the big sides have it sewn up. All the money to buy top talent from everyone else, and then all the best young talent too, which they cherry pick the absolute best and sell the rest for a shit load. What chance do we have?

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Walker-Peters is better than both of them in FM23 (and is miles ahead of Bree), although Livramento has a higher PA than KWP.

He ends up at PSG on every FM24 save I start, so hopefully we put in a sell-on clause

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Quick Google says he's joining Barcelona. It's a no-brainer - South Coast of England every time!

The pre-contract that Guido Rodriguez signed lapsed at the end of May.  It seems he is genuinely without a club. If realistically available he would be an INSANE signing and would provide the steel (not Steele) in midfield that we have lacked since Romeu left.  I wonder what the catch is.  Where is the link to us?  I do not see it on the COT thread.

Cannot see it myself but he would be someone Charley could talk to.  

11 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

The pre-contract that Guido Rodriguez signed lapsed at the end of May.  It seems he is genuinely without a club. If realistically available he would be an INSANE signing and would provide the steel (not Steele) in midfield that we have lacked since Romeu left.  I wonder what the catch is.  Where is the link to us?  I do not see it on the COT thread.

Fwend.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Perhaps you’re not looking hard enough 

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

That's almost certainly not going to happen, a top end CL level player.

Nice to see links just for the romance of it though, just not realistic in the slightest.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

That's almost certainly not going to happen, a top end CL level player.

Nice to see links just for the romance of it though, just not realistic in the slightest.

Barcelona were trying to get him was what I heard 

6 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Why would Rodriguez sign for Southampton. 🤣🤣

Probably a ridiculous one but if we’re clutching at straws ….

1) He may want to play in the Premier League, he’s played in La Liga and (despite some impressive European performances from Italian teams) there is consensus they are the two best leagues in the world.

2. We pay Premier League wages. It’s no Saudi pay day but my guess is we pay more than Betis.

3. Barca are still Barca but they are a mess. Maybe the prospect of signing for a club who may end up not actually registering you to play has scuppered the move leaving him open to something else.

4. Game time. He’s likely to be one of the first names on our team sheet.

5. Okay now this is a stretch - a chance to experience a new culture living in the UK.

6. Any deal could come with a low release clause and/or relegation clause. One good season with us then off to one of the top six/eight (ish) clubs.

7. These are getting less tenuous but a possible bond with Alcarez. We’ve seen a South American buddy system before!

All that being said not a chance it will happen but fun to pretend! I’m very willing to accept sleep deprivation (twin boys who have decided sleep is for chumps) may be making me come out with utter drivel 😅

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Of course it’s not in the COT thread. 
It’s just a few having a laugh 🎣 

1 hour ago, UpweySaint said:

Probably a ridiculous one but if we’re clutching at straws ….

1) He may want to play in the Premier League, he’s played in La Liga and (despite some impressive European performances from Italian teams) there is consensus they are the two best leagues in the world.

2. We pay Premier League wages. It’s no Saudi pay day but my guess is we pay more than Betis.

3. Barca are still Barca but they are a mess. Maybe the prospect of signing for a club who may end up not actually registering you to play has scuppered the move leaving him open to something else.

4. Game time. He’s likely to be one of the first names on our team sheet.

5. Okay now this is a stretch - a chance to experience a new culture living in the UK.

6. Any deal could come with a low release clause and/or relegation clause. One good season with us then off to one of the top six/eight (ish) clubs.

7. These are getting less tenuous but a possible bond with Alcarez. We’ve seen a South American buddy system before!

All that being said not a chance it will happen but fun to pretend! I’m very willing to accept sleep deprivation (twin boys who have decided sleep is for chumps) may be making me come out with utter drivel 😅

Wishing you well with the parenting of twins!   Brings back good memories.....not completely easy at the time!  Rodriguez is a long shot, but just what we need.  I also hope that RM has the wisdom to give Alcaraz a clean slate -   he was disappointing last season but we've seen enough of him at Prem level to know he can play, and we need attacking mids who can run at defences with the ball.

• Like 1

Was the post about the Korean forward just agent hype? Looked a decent prospect better than an Ings money grabber.
A good market to tap into I remember sat next to a fan few years ago I said are you Spurs fan as he took his 50th photo “no I’m a Son fan I follow him”

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Good walk away from Ings and for Miovski.... 

Huge ask for an SPL striker to make any impact at PL level. Most of SPL is L1 standard at best.

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Good walk away from Ings and for Miovski.... 

I could understand us sniffing if we were still lower league, but what is the hype around Miosvki for EPL level? I'd need to see him hitting crazy 30+ goals numbers to be interested at PL level, he's middling around 15 goals at SPL level which isn't hard to do for any competent non-league striker. Adam Idah even managed 10 goals, and he was only in the SPL for 6 months.

For a PL club to take an SPL player they need to be playing way, way above SPL level on a multitude of stats for their position (like O'Riley, or when we signed VVD), they need to have so much to their game. One striker up there I quite like is Kyogo for Celtic, he has a real rounded game and looks quality - he pushed 30 goals in his first season there, he's 29 years old now though.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I could understand us sniffing if we were still lower league, but what is the hype around Miosvki for EPL level? I'd need to see him hitting crazy 30+ goals numbers to be interested at PL level, he's middling around 15 goals at SPL level which isn't hard to do for any competent non-league striker. Adam Idah even managed 10 goals, and he was only in the SPL for 6 months.

For a PL club to take an SPL player they need to be playing way, way above SPL level on a multitude of stats for their position (like O'Riley, or when we signed VVD), they need to have so much to their game. One striker up there I quite like is Kyogo for Celtic, he has a real rounded game and looks quality - he pushed 30 goals in his first season there, he's 29 years old now though.

He seems to be the darling of the forum at the moment, emperors news clothes type stuff. Okay scoring record in Scotland, not great at international level. I really dont understand why there are so many people insisting he'd be a good signing.

• Like 1

Guido Rodrigues has got a Barca, Juve and Inter free transfer written all over him. Current wages €32k pw so plenty of takers for him. The Barca offer was 2 yrs+1 at €52k pw I think.

To join the massive downgrade that is Saints compared to those elites he’d need to be financially recompensed to mad levels - breaking our wage structure and getting £100k pw+ and a £M’s bung to him and his agent. I reckon. And even then he could join a bigger team than us in the EPL and do better still Chelsea would have him lol as would Liverpool.