Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Is there a rule that we have to include a reference to sushi in a song because he's Japanese? 

I wonder if international clubs who sign English players have similar conversations on their forums about including something about fish and chips in their chants.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

My guess is that RF is not going to be in anything like £70pw at Saints. 

If he is on £70pw at NUFC and has a year to go in which he is unlikely to play it’s going to cost them £3m plus a bad at us and optics unless they get rid. 

Clearly NUFC would love a fee but it seems we are the only game in town. Indeed he is asking for a pay off . I suspect they will end up giving him £750k and we’d put him on £49-£50k pw as a top earner on a free. Two years. 

In the above case, RF would say to NUFC that I have agreed my salary with Southampton and so you either pay me the difference or I will stay. 

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Think Sugawara will take a while to settle and initially there will be some on here saying he’s crap and what a rubbish job the recruitment team have done. Eventually though I think it’s a good signing and he’ll come good, but I do wish it was not at the expense of losing KWP.

We seem to have a good number of options across the back 4/5 now and I’m of the opinion that in defence it’s often about getting the right combination of players…particularly the CB pairing…that wins the day, above individual players strengths/weaknesses. This actually introduces a little cause for concern, as it may entice RM to tinker rather than persist with regular starters who can learn each others games. It’s difficult to see RM leaving all of Bednarek, Stephens and Manning out of the starting line-up. We’ll see.

Why would he contemplate leaving Bednarek out? (assuming he's still here) He is currently our best centre back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is there a rule that we have to include a reference to sushi in a song because he's Japanese? 

I wonder if international clubs who sign English players have similar conversations on their forums about including something about fish and chips in their chants.

I got you fam

Sugawara he's from Japan

The land of sushi and the toyota van

He's always smiling he's such a nice guy

That's because he's our japanese samauri

27 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

In the above case, RF would say to NUFC that I have agreed my salary with Southampton and so you either pay me the difference or I will stay. 

Yup I guess so. If he went from £70k with them to £35k-£50k pw or so with us thats north of £1M less for him this year. why move to get >£1m less - even if he is happier here? Getting £1m more just for training a year is a lot of money. Forget about “ wants to play” and “ enjoys his football again”. 

What he might earn - or more what would clubs be willing to pay him in year two though is anyone’s guess.

I imagine that is what our salary and number of years contract offer to him takes into account and what the haggling is over. 

My best guess is he might be offered £35k -£40k pw over a two year contract with us - and simultaneously is hoping to get at least £700k  ( basically 10 weeks pay +) 

He will have to compromise on that if he wants to get away though ..and get an extra year ( or two) tagged into the contract - and that’s the haggling part. 

Edited by gio1saints

36 minutes ago, The Cat said:

No. They have to shoehorn pie and mash in to them.

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Good to see other teams getting their pants pulled down by City for a change.

Or just paying the market rate for potential.

Seems a few think we will suddenly sign a 25yo striker with 20 goals in a major league last season for a bargain £15m. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Or just paying the market rate for potential.

Seems a few think we will suddenly sign a 25yo striker with 20 goals in a major league last season for a bargain £15m. 

Don't think that at all. Possibly worth a punt at half that amount, but for 20m, no thanks. 

• Like 2

Wonder if we'll see Alcaraz as one of the front two in the 5-3-2 this year as a rotational option. He was definitely the bright spark in the months leading to relegation. It's just whether he'll be trusted when we have less of the ball, which he loves to give away, or if we'd be willing due to his off-the-ball work.

Signing/Stewart - Armstrong/Alcaraz

Would assume Sulemana will get some minutes there as well if he sticks about. Fraser/Edozie likely to get their minutes at wing-back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Wonder if we'll see Alcaraz as one of the front two in the 5-3-2 this year as a rotational option. He was definitely the bright spark in the months leading to relegation. It's just whether he'll be trusted when we have less of the ball, which he loves to give away, or if we'd be willing due to his off-the-ball work.

Would assume Sulemana will get some minutes there as well if he sticks about. Fraser/Edozie likely to get their minutes at wing-back.

As the second striker for instance, behind Arma he might be decent.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not Edozie, please. He’s fine going forward if you forgive the lack of end product, but poor at tracking back and defending.

I do wonder, though, how close we might be to completing our summer business, with Fraser and Sugawara. I suspect that there might be no more than four more deals, possibly five:

* Downes or equivalent

* O’Riley or equivalent. Ghoddos?

* a striker

* a keeper, though maybe another Lumley, or maybe Lys.

would we need any more than this? Okay, can seeing us looking to upsell on Manning, Bree, etc, replacing Janny B if necessary, but in terms of additions, I think four more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

Not Edozie, please. He’s fine going forward if you forgive the lack of end product, but poor at tracking back and defending.

I do wonder, though, how close we might be to completing our summer business, with Fraser and Sugawara. I suspect that there might be no more than four more deals, possibly five:

* Downes or equivalent

* O’Riley or equivalent. Ghoddos?

* a striker

* a keeper, though maybe another Lumley, or maybe Lys.

would we need any more than this? Okay, can seeing us looking to upsell on Manning, Bree, etc, replacing Janny B if necessary, but in terms of additions, I think four more.

I think we're close as well, with Sugawara basically being confirmed.

I think at an absolute push it'll be; 1x GK, 3x CM, 2x ST.

However, you could see us cutting corners and going with 2x CM (Downes and one of O'Riley/Camara?) and just one ST, who could even be Che...

KWP, ABK and Onuachu to definitely leave. Alcaraz, Sulemana and Mara possibilities as well.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

20 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

I think Bereton-Diaz on loan with an option to buy would be good.

Agree, BBD a proven asset in half a Premier League season for Sheffield United (6/14), and combined with Shankland (who I think we are in for) would give us a serious upgrade in firepower.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Alcaraz didn't suit the 4-3-3 system but I reckon the 5-3-2 Russell switched to after his departure would really suit him as we'll require more of a counter-attacking output.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Suga da da da da da da

Oh Suga suga da da da da da da

you like to eat sushi

And you fucking hate those skate c*nts.

OOoooo Russell went to Holland, to buy some tulip flowers

Instead he bought a right back, his name was Sugawara

He hates pompey he hates pompey

clap clap clap

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

I'm not sure mate but that could explain why so few English players choose to pursue their career abroad 

• Haha 2

Yukinari Sugawara continues his career at Southampton, so know Football International and Fabrizio Romano. The defender of AZ has been linked to the English doctoral candidate for some time, but after an agreement between the clubs, the transfer seems to be finally coming.

Sugawara will travel to England on Wednesday to be inspected at his new club. Once he has passed it, the left back will also immediately sign a contract until mid-2028. An official announcement cannot be long in coming after that.

https://www.fcupdate.nl/voetbalnieuws/2024/07/az-bereikt-akkoord-over-yukinari-sugawara-en-incasseert-miljoenenbedrag

Expect the white smoke on his signing tomorrow i guess.

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Yukinari Sugawara continues his career at Southampton, so know Football International and Fabrizio Romano. The defender of AZ has been linked to the English doctoral candidate for some time, but after an agreement between the clubs, the transfer seems to be finally coming.

Sugawara will travel to England on Wednesday to be inspected at his new club. Once he has passed it, the left back will also immediately sign a contract until mid-2028. An official announcement cannot be long in coming after that.

https://www.fcupdate.nl/voetbalnieuws/2024/07/az-bereikt-akkoord-over-yukinari-sugawara-en-incasseert-miljoenenbedrag

Expect the white smoke on his signing tomorrow i guess.

He's a Right Back.

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Why would he contemplate leaving Bednarek out? (assuming he's still here) He is currently our best centre back.

Well that’s what I said - difficult to imagine him being left out, but there were some suggesting a line-up of THB and one of the new guys (Edwards?). I’m not so sure you could say he’s our best CB…THB runs him close I reckon, but still can’t see him being left out unless we’re selling.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Alcaraz didn't suit the 4-3-3 system but I reckon the 5-3-2 Russell switched to after his departure would really suit him as we'll require more of a counter-attacking output.

Interesting to see he’s back with the squad training now and the club has not been shy in showing him off on the FB feed.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

3 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Suga da da da da da da

Oh Suga suga da da da da da da

you like to eat sushi

And you fucking hate those skate c*nts.

Keep it simple

Yuki, do do do do do do, ah Suga Suga [repeat]

Edited by Saint Scott
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, northam soul said:

According to Talk shite we want Downes and 10 million for Walker Peters.

As good as he is that ain’t happening if true especially as it’s the last year of contract.

It's a tough one, WHU hold all the cards here. Downes is tied to a long contract with them, had a standout season with us last year.

KWP is into his final year with us, we have no bargaining power. He was a very good player at the same level as Downes last year.

As much as we'd like him as part of any deal for KWP for 'free', we're not getting that - we're going to have to pay some money for him.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Just seen a link saying we’re back in for Clarke at Sunderland. Wasn’t aware we were previously interested?

Yeah, he's been high on our list - one of our main targets supposedly, but then it went cool as they wanted £18m. Maybe they've softened? Who knows, but silly season is about to start!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Keep it simple

Yuki, do do do do do do, ah Suga Suga [repeat]

Brown Suga, how come you play so good?
Brown Suga, just like we knew you would

(slightly racist but only as bad as assuming he likes Sushi)

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a tough one, WHU hold all the cards here. Downes is tied to a long contract with them, had a standout season with us last year.

KWP is into his final year with us, we have no bargaining power. He was a very good player at the same level as Downes last year.

As much as we'd like him as part of any deal for KWP for 'free', we're not getting that - we're going to have to pay some money for him.

I said this exact thing yesterday and had people vehemently disagreeing. No wonder this transfer hasn't been done yet if we are holding out for something unrealistic like that. 

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Or we keep KWP and he has a pick of who he wants next season (which if you believe the rumours may include Spurs).

I suspect a straight swap would be the best outcome, maybe we can both negotiate sell on clauses for both players as well.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, he's been high on our list - one of our main targets supposedly, but then it went cool as they wanted £18m. Maybe they've softened? Who knows, but silly season is about to start!

we were also interested in Callum O'Hare who is still without a club. Although the red and white half of Sheffield seems to be his likely destination at this stage. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Suhari said:

What are you basing his earlier return on?

Not basing it on anything, other than trying to imagine why we appear to be heading into a PL season with poor GK options. I've always wondered why Baz's injury meant he was going to be out for so long, it just occurs to me that maybe his recovery has gone far better than expected and that he might be available much sooner than early 25 as suggested previously. I don't think Baz is the answer at GK either, but the Club clearly do.

[Sorry not to have replied before, ran out of posts]

Edited by VectisSaint

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

we were also interested in Callum O'Hare who is still without a club. Although the red and white half of Sheffield seems to be his likely destination at this stage. Make of that what you will.

It means O'hare isn't our primary target. 😉

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We've also shown our cards by buying Suguwara. Would like to think that there's already an agreement in principle to do a Downes/KWP swap and that the numbers have been agreed. Suspect we'll be paying them, especially if Ings gets back in the picture.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Only a fairly small amount though. Over £20m in total - FD + KWP (below £15m and it’s more effective to keep him for his final year) the club ought to be fishing in the next level of DMCs. £15-17m tops for FD. Sugawara seems very decent for a mid-level Championship price, hopefully more of a KWP than a Mikkel Nilsson, who on paper in Sweden caps and appearances in a smaller league looked too good to be true for Champ prices and was. He was terrible, I’m sure this guy will be better. 

Clarke seems unlikely for anywhere near £18m, maybe half that. O’Hare seems more likely given the club’s FFP and financial cautiousness, as free and wages not too hefty for PL level but I’m not sure the agent isn’t driving that more than Saints. Leeds seem the most confident even though we and Villa are heavily linked (their squad needs a European boost but their FFP issues are even worse than Saints). If a PL club were genuinely interested, it would have happened by now. I would say the club are looking at other options, or give a Alcaraz/Sulemana a try there in pre-season? We won’t get any money back on the latter unless we get a few decent PL showings out of him. Alcaraz did to some extent show he could belong there.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

The pricing with WHU is tricky.

If they were at the same stage of their contracts KWP would be worth significantly more than Downes.

Downes is 25 and unproven at the top level (63 of his appearances at league 1 and 2 level).

KWP is 27 with over 100 prem appearances, performed well enough to be picked for England. Also reliable fitness.

He would easily be worth double but clearly the last year of his contract makes a difference.

I wonder if there is better value elsewhere than Downes, as much as he would be a good fit with us and RM.

The discussion about starting CB - if Stephens and Bednarek are still here and fit at least one will be first choice. No way will Martin want to start in premier league with CBs who are both young and not played at that level 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Money down the drain.  How do Man City do it!!

Tricky one to assess. The reports seem to indicate a player with potentially a high ceiling but it goes against his record in practice which is poor at a lower level. You could get Sinclair Armstrong from QPR for a fraction of the cost, who is also quick and direct.

He could also turn out like Shearer was for us, explosive debut then fairly steady/quiet until his final season which took him from one to watch to a British record. 

I understand the scepticism as Gunn, Bazanu were terrible for £12m+, at least Gunn looks decent at Champ level, Bazanu would struggle at League 1 and below and Saints really got their pants pulled down there. I’d pay him off on a compromise deal once he’s fit, a loan spell in the lower leagues won’t convince me there’s a professional goalkeeper there above League 1. That’s his ceiling. ROI are so dreadful he’ll still get in their squad.

Shea Charles hasn’t really done anything yet for what is a big fee in the Champ, where he ought to have been up there with Winks and Downes for a best-performing CM performance, and Edozie has looked decent in fits and starts but not very robust yet.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure how West Ham hold all the cards. Do they want KWP? If so is he a better player than FD with more Premier League experience? If the answer to both questions is yes, which it surely must be, how does that equate to West Ham holding all the cards? I don't see the logic.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Not sure how West Ham hold all the cards. Do they want KWP? If so is he a better player than FD with more Premier League experience? If the answer to both questions is yes, which it surely must be, how does that equate to West Ham holding all the cards. I don't see the logic.

It’s about KWP only having 1 year left on his contract, meaning our options are limited given his value will only diminish further (if he stays with us) until such a time he leaves for free. WH are probably almost thinking they’re doing us a favour giving us the opportunity to recover any form of a fee - basically a fee worth one year of KWP’s service.

51 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Money down the drain.  How do Man City do it!!

they (along with Chelsea) attract the best youngsters and keep them by actually paying them a small fortune. They play for the England age groups, everyone else knows all about them and inevitably there is a degree of trust that their pedigree, potential and talent will turn into top quality senior players.  Some fail, but some become Jadon Sancho £90m superstars.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It’s about KWP only having 1 year left on his contract, meaning our options are limited given his value will only diminish further (if he stays with us) until such a time he leaves for free. WH are probably almost thinking they’re doing us a favour giving us the opportunity to recover any form of a fee - basically a fee worth one year of KWP’s service.

Seeing as West Ham don't want Downes (well, they didn't last season anyway) no reason why we can't think the same - that we are doing WH a favour buying him. In reality, no one is doing anyone a favour. If they want KWP they can pay what he's worth, whatever that is with a year left, and we can do the same with Downes. I wouldn't rule out another Prem side buying KWP though. Not Spurs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not sure how West Ham hold all the cards. Do they want KWP? If so is he a better player than FD with more Premier League experience? If the answer to both questions is yes, which it surely must be, how does that equate to West Ham holding all the cards? I don't see the logic.

I wouldn’t say, “all the cards,” as such either. Clearly there is an advantage to them with the contract lengths but everything else is still in play. They risk KWP losing interest and taking a deal elsewhere, whilst we will have options other than Downes. Overall is say £15m each is probably a fair price.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Do we know that West Ham are the only team interested in signing KWP? I'd be very surprised if that's the case.