Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

18 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Voetbal International saying the fee is €7m

We seem to have paid European prices rather than Prem league prices. Excellent. Hope he is brilliant.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Let’s see how good he is first.

Well obviously but it's still a really great price. I can caveat every response to a signing with "these opinions are subject to change if his performances for saints are either great or crap" if you like? 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Signed him from A-Z
And he eats sushi
(and he fucking hates Pompey, clap clap clap)

Tweaked it slightly...

He Signed from A-ZEEEEEEEE!!!

Whilst EAAATTTSS SUSHIIIIIIEEEEE

He Fuck-ING  H8888TES POMPEEEEEEE

Sugawara, he's our man!

I was bored, be gentle 🤦‍♂️🙃

It’s not dissimilar to the price way got Cedric for all that time ago? Fair play is he’s any cop. Can’t say I’ve seen him play but seems to have been watched by some decent teams and looks like a really solid signing based on YouTube/stats.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

The defence looks pretty much sorted, we just need to strengthen everywhere else now!

Wonder what the starting lineup will be. 

Sugawara THB Edwards Taylor 

Oh 

Sugawara THB Edwards Stephens/bednarek Taylor 

10 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

The defence looks pretty much sorted, we just need to strengthen everywhere else now!

We need a LB/LWB I think. Manning will get ripped to shreds at this level. We need better competition for Taylor IMO especially if KWP leaves.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well obviously but it's still a really great price. I can caveat every response to a signing with "these opinions are subject to change if his performances for saints are either great or crap" if you like? 

Good one.

You seem very confident it’s a coup, seen him play before? Heard of him before he was linked?

Just pointing out just because it’s a good price, doesn’t mean it’s a good signing. Especially when in all likelihood he’s replacing our current best player.

Edited by ErwinK1961

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

Love how Sugawara is so excited on Bing

image.png.4dc7ce010304a7b313c200fe7747151d.png

im in favour of signing Japanese and Korean players. They usually have a great work ethic, are loyal and good team players. 

• Like 4

Newcastle Chronicle's chief NUFC writer says Ryan Fraser has agreed terms with Saints, it's just down to Newcastle and Fraser to come to a settlement but the deal is otherwise 'imminent'

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

The defence looks pretty much sorted

Not until we've got a starting keeper who is demonstrably better than Macca. Taylor, Sugawara and Edwards all look kind of decent enough on paper but they aren't world-beaters, by Prem standards they are bargain bucket signings, and it also looks like we're also going to lose KWP, the one defender we do have who has consistently proven himself as solid PL-quality. If that's the defence then we're still going to face a lot of shots, and if we don't have a proper Prem keeper then we still look to me like we're going to concede a hell of a lot. 

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We need a LB/LWB I think. Manning will get ripped to shreds at this level. We need better competition for Taylor IMO especially if KWP leaves.

I think we will see Fraser as left wing back as cover

• Like 2

Found this article and Liverpool seem like they were sniffing around last season and the fee would have been in the region of £17 million. I think Saints have potentially done a shrewd bit of business here.

Liverpool are interested in right back Yukinari Sugawara, Anfield Watch understands.

The 23-year-old is a six-cap Japan international, currently playing for AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands.

Suguwara, a versatile operator who has also featured at right wing and even at centre back, is viewed by Liverpool as a player who could potentially shadow Trent Alexander-Arnold.

The former Nagoya Grampus star, who moved to Europe back in 2019, has less than two years remaining on his current contract at AZ and could be available for as little as €20m (£17m).

Focussing instead on their much-discussed midfield rebuild, Liverpool did not sign any defensive cover for the first-team squad during the summer transfer window. However, it has been widely reported that the area remains a priority to strengthen in upcoming windows.

With Calvin Ramsay heading out on loan to Preston North End for the 2023/24 season, 20-year-old Conor Bradley had been expected to step in as Alexander-Arnold's right back understudy, but a reported stress fracture to his back means he is unlikely to be available until at least November.

Meanwhile, Virgil van Dijk's two-match suspension and Ibrahima Konate's latest injury have brought concerns to the fore about the Reds' lack of depth across the backline.

Suguwara made 47 appearances in all competitions for AZ in 2022/23 and was a regular as his side made it to the Europa Conference League semi finals before being eliminated by West Ham.

He scored three times and registered eight assists in last season's Eredivisie, while he has one assist to his name so far in 2023/24.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Let's see how good he is first before calling it excellent :)

Paying less is good whether he turns out to be good or shit.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Newcastle Chronicle's chief NUFC writer says Ryan Fraser has agreed terms with Saints, it's just down to Newcastle and Fraser to come to a settlement but the deal is otherwise 'imminent'

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-exit-shave-thousands-wage-29512230

Article paints it as Fraser waiting for Newcastle to pay him a chunk of cash to fuck off. 

It also says he's on £70k a week at Newcastle.

He's 30, so you'd think 2 year deal, maybe with an option for a third?

My guess is that RF is not going to be in anything like £70pw at Saints. 

If he is on £70pw at NUFC and has a year to go in which he is unlikely to play it’s going to cost them £3m plus a bad at us and optics unless they get rid. 

Clearly NUFC would love a fee but it seems we are the only game in town. Indeed he is asking for a pay off . I suspect they will end up giving him £750k and we’d put him on £49-£50k pw as a top earner on a free. Two years. 

6 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Can't help feeling that some of these supposedly very good but very cheap players will turn out to just be very cheap, nevertheless welcome aboard Yukinari

That makes a change. We've had plenty of supposedly very good but very expensive players who turn out to just be very expensive. If he's a flop- and no reason at all to think he will be- we can at least take comfort in the fact he hasn't been a Carillo, Onuachu or Sulemana.

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I know. Read my reply prior to the one you were responding to...

gotcha. 

What we need now is a nice Bree transfer link to pop up and shortly after Saints to announce that KWP has signed a new three year deal. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That makes a change. We've had plenty of supposedly very good but very expensive players who turn out to just be very expensive. If he's a flop- and no reason at all to think he will be- we can at least take comfort in the fact he hasn't been a Carillo, Onuachu or Sulemana.

Very true

• Like 1

How are we looking so far then? Potentially if we count people almost signed or rumoured: 

McCarthy 

Sugawara Edwards THB Taylor 

Downes? Smallbone 

Armstrong Fraser/Lallana 

Aribo 

Stewart 

States the obvious but it's midfield and attack that need looking at. Very light on the wings for me, need another AM for definite and obviously a striker or two. 

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

gotcha. 

What we need now is a nice Bree transfer link to pop up and shortly after Saints to announce that KWP has signed a new three year deal. 

We can dream. Sadly with his value to us as an asset being what it is, I'm not certain we'd be able to keep him and strengthen adequately across the rest of the team. Sadly. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

How are we looking so far then? Potentially if we count people almost signed or rumoured: 

McCarthy 

Sugawara Edwards THB Taylor 

Downes? Smallbone 

Armstrong Fraser/Lallana 

Aribo 

Stewart 

States the obvious but it's midfield and attack that need looking at. Very light on the wings for me, need another AM for definite and obviously a striker or two. 

Interesting that the wings were a strength last season with Fraser, Sulemana, Edozie, Brooks and AA giving us a lot of options. It looks like we will have four of those five players here again.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Interesting that the wings were a strength last season with Fraser, Sulemana, Edozie, Brooks and AA giving us a lot of options. It looks like we will have four of those five players here again.

That's true. Not sure Sulemana will be here at the conclusion of the window but we will see. Remains to be seen if AA can translate his success last year into success this year and Edozie will have a bit part role if that. So definite scope to strengthen on the wings. Need Aribo and smallbone upgrades and obviously options up front 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Replaces kwp 

And he eats sushi. 

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Could be the catalyst for KWP moving to West Ham and FD moving to us.

I'd have thought the last thing we we want to see is Downes eating more raw food.... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Think Sugawara will take a while to settle and initially there will be some on here saying he’s crap and what a rubbish job the recruitment team have done. Eventually though I think it’s a good signing and he’ll come good, but I do wish it was not at the expense of losing KWP.

We seem to have a good number of options across the back 4/5 now and I’m of the opinion that in defence it’s often about getting the right combination of players…particularly the CB pairing…that wins the day, above individual players strengths/weaknesses. This actually introduces a little cause for concern, as it may entice RM to tinker rather than persist with regular starters who can learn each others games. It’s difficult to see RM leaving all of Bednarek, Stephens and Manning out of the starting line-up. We’ll see.

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Love how Sugawara is so excited on Bing

image.png.4dc7ce010304a7b313c200fe7747151d.png

I thought he might be straining for a poo, but he could be exited too, as they aren't mutually exclusive. 

From everything I've read on Sugawara, he is very highly rated. Regular International for Japan, played European football last year. Inter Milan's first choice to replace Denzil Dumfries should he move (but he hasn't yet, so they've waited too long).

Youtube video for him for those who haven't seen him -

He's like a Japanese version of KWP really in where he plays, how he plays, the threat he provides etc. I can't help but feel that the club have pulled off an absolute masterstroke with this.

• Like 4

Just now, S-Clarke said:

From everything I've read on Sugawara, he is very highly rated. Regular International for Japan, played European football last year. Inter Milan's first choice to replace Denzil Dumfries should he move (but he hasn't yet, so they've waited too long).

He's like a Japanese version of KWP really in where he plays, how he plays, the threat he provides etc. I can't help but feel that the club have pulled off an absolute masterstroke with this.

Hopefully it's like livramento where it was obvious he was a cut above as soon as he played. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

im in favour of signing Japanese and Korean players. They usually have a great work ethic, are loyal and good team players. 

...and he'll tidy up the changing room after the game.

• Haha 4

Watched a couple of Interviews with Sugawara and he speaks very good English which bodes well for him settling quickly. I think that was a big barrier for Charly (Maybe still is)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Watched a couple of Interviews with Sugawara and he speaks very good English which bodes well for him settling quickly. I think that was a big barrier for Charly (Maybe still is)

Who's Sugawara going to have a bromance with?

Much like Romeu and Yoshida did!

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Sugawara is going to be a cult hero, that I'm 100% sure.

This now will accelerate the Downes and KWP deals.

Downes and Sugawara coming in will severely soften the KWP leaving blow. KWP will always be one of my favourite players, gave us everything and I didn't really want him to go - but if he really wants to go and won't commit then we're doing it the right way here, losing a top player but getting stronger from it. Exactly what we did in Koemans first window.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

My guess is that RF is not going to be in anything like £70pw at Saints. 

If he is on £70pw at NUFC and has a year to go in which he is unlikely to play it’s going to cost them £3m plus a bad at us and optics unless they get rid. 

Clearly NUFC would love a fee but it seems we are the only game in town. Indeed he is asking for a pay off . I suspect they will end up giving him £750k and we’d put him on £49-£50k pw as a top earner on a free. Two years. 

I’m an Uber fan, I’ll pay that myself to help out with our FFP. 

On that note, why are SR not paying more than £70pw for players? SR out! 😂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Interesting read. Sugawara definitely looks like a more well rounded player. KWP's pass completion rate is absolutely immense. I wonder how Russ ball would shape these figures moving forward. You've got to assume that the tighter play style would mean an improvement in pass completion for Sugawara at the expense of his crossing and long passing game. (Altough looking at those stats I wouldn't mind him pinging the occasional long diagonal to break up our predictablility!)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Wants to stop that crossing bollox, we don't do that here.

• Haha 2