Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

35 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Not bothered about Delap but Philogene going to Ipswich is frustrating, he's a very good player. Greaves is also a solid CB and much better than Nathan Wood. 

Agree, would have been my preference  but possibly five times the cost. 

£20m for a striker with 12 goals to his name, swerved a bullet there.  Would be right up there with the signings of Gunn and Baz from City.

If he was at any other club, they would be lucky to get £4m for him.

Would be insane, and not in a good way.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

What does it say? Won't open for me.

On a separate note, I get the point people are saying about being disappointed about losing out on a player to Ipswich, however, do remember they finished above us fairly convincingly last season, beat us twice in the league and are not hamstrung by the same financial fair play issues we are, owing to the disastrous spending spree we went on before and during our final year in the prem, last time around.

All that money we wasted on shite like Tall Paul and Sulemana et al that did absolutely nothing for us but knacker us financially. Plus (and correct me if I am wrong) but because we have had parachute payments paid to us last season, am I right in thinking that we don't get as much money for going back up, compared to Ipswich who didn't have parachute payments and therefore would have got the full whack? A large number of their squad would be on fairly low wages too given they went straight from L1 into the Championship then up to the Prem so their wage bill would easily be the lowest in the division now. With all that sweet sweet television money and Prem money, they will have a fair amount of financial power to splash the cash this window and would likely be able to out muscle us for fees to other clubs as well as wages on a few players they really want.

The only thing we can hope as far as Ipswich are concerned is that if they are making big signings on high wages trying to out muscle the other Prem teams sniffing about (like us), it unsettles some of the 'OG' players who may be thinking "I've helped drag this club from L1 to the Prem and X, Y or Z are coming in on 2-3 times the wages I am being paid" and their team harmony is disrupted.

Let's face it, player for player, we had them tagged last season but it was a combination of good management and a dogged team spirit (with a sprinkle of luck in a number of games) which got them to where they are today. Disrupting that team spirit by paying new players disproportionately higher than the rest of the squad normally doesn't go down well.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Ipswich are minted aren't they, certainly going to be the ones who splash the cash in the prem this summer hoping they stay up, there is always one.

Not minted per say, just not handcuffed like the rest with FFP. They've just had a huge increase income and haven't spent a great deal in previous years due to their league status, so they can realistically spend all of that new PL income and not be slapped.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Hate to say it but Ipswich are doing (on paper) some good business - the four players they have signed/are hoping to wrap up are all players I would have been happy for us to sign though as others have said our previous mistakes are haunting us.

if Ornstein is right that we had a bid accepted for Delap then hopefully it shows we have a few quid tucked down the sofa for a striker.

Hutchinson, Delap, Philogene and Greaves for somewhere around £75mil is a big outlay without any transfer fees in but fair play to them - they are well backed and have PSR room.

On a side note their no1 from last season has turned down a new deal so I expect they may also need to spend a few quid to get a proper replacement in.

We are still a well coached side and it’s early in the window so we’ll see but at the moment I’m struggling to see three teams I am confident we can finish ahead of.

Ideal world we can shift the likes of ABK, Sulemana and Onuachu for a few quid and add a bit more quality in the squad in key positions. I like Charly but if he doesn’t fit our set up and we could see a good return from him I can see him being moved on.

21 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Hate to say it but Ipswich are doing (on paper) some good business - the four players they have signed/are hoping to wrap up are all players I would have been happy for us to sign though as others have said our previous mistakes are haunting us.

if Ornstein is right that we had a bid accepted for Delap then hopefully it shows we have a few quid tucked down the sofa for a striker.

Hutchinson, Delap, Philogene and Greaves for somewhere around £75mil is a big outlay without any transfer fees in but fair play to them - they are well backed and have PSR room.

On a side note their no1 from last season has turned down a new deal so I expect they may also need to spend a few quid to get a proper replacement in.

We are still a well coached side and it’s early in the window so we’ll see but at the moment I’m struggling to see three teams I am confident we can finish ahead of.

Ideal world we can shift the likes of ABK, Sulemana and Onuachu for a few quid and add a bit more quality in the squad in key positions. I like Charly but if he doesn’t fit our set up and we could see a good return from him I can see him being moved on.

I'd say get Downes in now and it will start to look okay, and even better if we could perhaps convince KWP to stay (although the economics there might mean he has to go). Then we need a keeper, Che to leave and a good striker come in. Quite torn about Delap - didn't think he's worth it, but Ipswich having him is annoying, especially as I suspect their manage will get a tune out of him. Do think Ings would be a mistake, but may be our level

6 minutes ago, DT said:

I'd say get Downes in now and it will start to look okay, and even better if we could perhaps convince KWP to stay (although the economics there might mean he has to go). Then we need a keeper, Che to leave and a good striker come in. Quite torn about Delap - didn't think he's worth it, but Ipswich having him is annoying, especially as I suspect their manage will get a tune out of him. Do think Ings would be a mistake, but may be our level

I agree for the most part. I’m happy with Che staying on the proviso it’s him plus one - I’m keen to see what Stewart can do when fit too but it’s a risk to rely on him too heavily. 

I don’t mind Bazunu but get the opposing views. Macca is okay but a loan with an option would be good to see if we can get a genuine no1 for this season as a minimum. 

Delap I like. The price is high considering his goal return and he is raw but £15mil seems to be the going rate for potential these days. Ings? I don’t know about attitude (some have really slated this) but he knows where the goal is and I could see him doing well in our system - his movement, link up and finishing are assets and we don’t really rely on pace which he lacks. 

I quite like a lot of our recruitment so far. We’re being sensible and pragmatic. I honestly don’t know if it will be enough but you can see the logic whether we beat the drop or not.

KWP or a top class replacement feels essential to both systems we have used. I’m not wholly convinced Aarons is the answer but he has the right profile and arguably hasn’t yet met his potential.

The Delap stories are coming from a reputable source in Ornstein, but I'm not going to lose much sleep around missing out on him. He's a punt with the hope of turning a profit due to his age and nationality. We've made two similar punts in Edwards and Wood at centre-back, but we have Stephens, Bednarek and THB already at the club. Upfront we have barely anything with Adams gone, Armstrong struggling in the Championship as a centre-forward, Stewart picking up knocks whenever he steps out onto the pitch and the failed punt in Mara. Meaning we'd be over reliant on Delap, like we were Broja when he was on loan. I know most signings are punts, but since the initial links to Delap two summers ago he has had three loans in the Championship which haven't exactly been eye catching in terms of goal output. Stoke and Preston considered two failed loans.

Last summer was the time to bring Delap in, on a loan deal, giving him a season long trial in the team and seeing if he can be the success those at the club clearly believe him to be, but we went for the more experienced and a better scoring record in Stewart. Hopefully we now do the same this summer as Delap's too much of a risk, especially at £20m, his value hasn't dropped since we last decided not to spend that on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Not minted per say, just not handcuffed like the rest with FFP. They've just had a huge increase income and haven't spent a great deal in previous years due to their league status, so they can realistically spend all of that new PL income and not be slapped.

Thought their owners were worth something like £11 billion ?!  Don't think it's just about FFP. 

31 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

I’m happy with Che staying on the proviso it’s him plus one - I’m keen to see what Stewart can do when fit too but it’s a risk to rely on him too heavily. 

If Che re-signs, are we realistically going to sign another striker? 

5 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Yes, 100% Guarenteed.

Just thinking of available squad places, would that not require one of Stewart/Mara to depart (go out on loan)?

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

18 goals in 96 games v 12 goals in 70 games

Pretty similar tbh

Championship Vs PL 

Completely different. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

The Delap stories are coming from a reputable source in Ornstein, but I'm not going to lose much sleep around missing out on him. He's a punt with the hope of turning a profit due to his age and nationality. We've made two similar punts in Edwards and Wood at centre-back, but we have Stephens, Bednarek and THB already at the club. Upfront we have barely anything with Adams gone, Armstrong struggling in the Championship as a centre-forward, Stewart picking up knocks whenever he steps out onto the pitch and the failed punt in Mara. Meaning we'd be over reliant on Delap, like we were Broja when he was on loan. I know most signings are punts, but since the initial links to Delap two summers ago he has had three loans in the Championship which haven't exactly been eye catching in terms of goal output. Stoke and Preston considered two failed loans.

Last summer was the time to bring Delap in, on a loan deal, giving him a season long trial in the team and seeing if he can be the success those at the club clearly believe him to be, but we went for the more experienced and a better scoring record in Stewart. Hopefully we now do the same this summer as Delap's too much of a risk, especially at £20m, his value hasn't dropped since we last decided not to spend that on him.

Yeah, wouldn't be great relying on Delap but that's probably the budget we've got to work with.  Fair play if we can find better and more experienced for the same or slightly more. 

Miovski looks a decent and clinical striker but I'm not sure he's got the physical presence to hold the ball up and bring others into the game - if we're going with three at the back then we'll need that.  Brereton-Diaz looks like he could do that and proved he can score at premier league level.  Both should be reasonably priced but outside of that I'm not sure - punt on a young player overseas I guess.

2 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

18 goals in 96 games v 12 goals in 70 games

Pretty similar tbh

Just for balance, Kane scored 16 goals in 56 games out on loan (that was in league 1, championship and 3 games in the Prem for Norwich)

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, wouldn't be great relying on Delap but that's probably the budget we've got to work with.  Fair play if we can find better and more experienced for the same or slightly more. 

Miovski looks a decent and clinical striker but I'm not sure he's got the physical presence to hold the ball up and bring others into the game - if we're going with three at the back then we'll need that.  Brereton-Diaz looks like he could do that and proved he can score at premier league level.  Both should be reasonably priced but outside of that I'm not sure - punt on a young player overseas I guess.

Wouldn't Stewart be the physical presence? It's a risk relying on him obviously. Maybe we can bring one striker in and then maybe get a promising one on loan. Maybe someone who can play AM and striker if required. 

3 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Delap gives me Harry Kane vibes, Alot of fans are going to be gutted when he starts performing in the premier league.

Agreed. The kid has everything he needs to take off imo. It would be such a shame if we are genuinely interested in him and it ends up being with someone else.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Thought their owners were worth something like £11 billion ?!  Don't think it's just about FFP. 

Their owners are minted for sure, but as we see with this PSR rubbish these days, it doesn't matter how much your owners are worth - it's about revenue in relation to your outgoings, they just have the extra headroom at the moment as they've been lower league for 2 decades, so haven't spent big.

Good strategy really, spend big now and establish themselves, increase revenue further and just top the side up in the forthcoming windows.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Agreed. The kid has everything he needs to take off imo. It would be such a shame if we are genuinely interested in him and it ends up being with someone else.

Why didn't he score more goals at Hull last season? Did he miss chances or did they not create much? or did he do the dinkey work for the wingers to take the glory? 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

That's a fantastic signing if true. Looks to be the absolute best we could hope for to replace kwp. 

He certainly would be a good signing, if we get £20m for KWP and buy him for 10-15m then we'd have pulled off a mega deal. I do still think we need to replace Bree though, so another backup is rqd either way. (unless we're looking at a CB to cover there)

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Wouldn't Stewart be the physical presence? It's a risk relying on him obviously. Maybe we can bring one striker in and then maybe get a promising one on loan. Maybe someone who can play AM and striker if required. 

I guess Stewart could be the big lad up top - got the height at any rate.  The clips I've seen don't really show that physical side of his game but maybe he's called the Loch Ness Drogba for a reason.  I've not exactly written him off but it's almost a jump of two divisions after 18 months injury layoff so I'm not expecting anything fantastic from him but who knows?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Why didn't he score more goals at Hull last season? Did he miss chances or did they not create much? or did he do the dinkey work for the wingers to take the glory? 

He had a really strong start to the season, looked like he was going to rip it up. Got a bit of an injury and it set him back (out for 2-3 months), wasn't the same player in the 2nd half of the season at all - partly probably because of the injury, and also because teams may have figured out how to counter him.

I'd put his output for Hull on par with Frasers output for us, so if we get Ryan in then we're pretty much level pegging on that front.

edit: just noticed you were talking about Delap, not Pihilogene. Somewhat same applies though, he got a long injury middle part of the season and was out for some time.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He certainly would be a good signing, if we get £20m for KWP and buy him for 10-15m then we'd have pulled off a mega deal. I do still think we need to replace Bree though, so another backup is rqd either way. (unless we're looking at a CB to cover there)

Even better from a ffp point of view if we do manage to include him in a swap deal for Downes. If we do keep manning and Bree then we will particularly weak backups in those positions. Maybe we need a decent utility man who can do a job on either side. 

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I guess Stewart could be the big lad up top - got the height at any rate.  The clips I've seen don't really show that physical side of his game but maybe he's called the Loch Ness Drogba for a reason.  I've not exactly written him off but it's almost a jump of two divisions after 18 months injury layoff so I'm not expecting anything fantastic from him but who knows?

Would be a nice bonus if he does prove himself useful. Like you say we can't really rely on him at all but he'd be a good squad option with the thinking that he could play his way into the squad. 

5 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Except 60% of Broja's goals came in the Dutch League, poorer quality than the Championship. 

Broja has scored 16 in 70 with us, vitesse and Fulham. Lots of sub appearances in there. 9 in 29 for Albania adults and u21. That's decent in a shit team. 

Delap 12 in 68 in the championship. Delap has only managed 5 u21 games, albeit scoring 2 goals but 1 was against Luxembourg. 

Putting stats aside, Delap barely looks like a championship player, whereas Broja looked like a PL player when with us. 

I wouldn't want Delap but I would want Broja. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Even better from a ffp point of view if we do manage to include him in a swap deal for Downes. If we do keep manning and Bree then we will particularly weak backups in those positions. Maybe we need a decent utility man who can do a job on either side. 

Could be a clever move. Maybe forfit some of the fee with KWP, maybe 10-15m for him ensuring it inc. Downes. and £10-15m spend for Suguwara. Potentially gain 2 players and some $$ left over change.

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

You'd think that deal would not be concluded until KWP or Bree departure actually happened. 

I'd want KWP replacement in the bag before letting him go.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Could be a clever move. Maybe forfit some of the fee with KWP, maybe 10-15m for him ensuring it inc. Downes. and £10-15m spend for Suguwara. Potentially gain 2 players and some $$ left over change.

Not sure we will get anything like that. I reckon West ham will push for a straight swap. I'd probably take Downes and 5 million which means sugawara would be 10 million of our budget. Not bad going.