Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Kylie Minogue to join Saints. You heard it here first. 

We need some height in the team, this is not a way to go. She’s only 5’.

Although she’d fit right in with our passing… Slow.

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Wouldn’t mind Ibrahim Sulemana, holding midfielder who plays in Serie A I think

One Sulemana is more than enough. Watching our current one has aged me terribly this season 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Can we just let ourselves dream for five minutes before accepting reality... a midfield of Downes, Camara & Matt O'Riley! 

Would be a very exciting and combative midfield for sure.

Would increase our chances significantly. 

18 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Would be a very exciting and combative midfield for sure.

Would increase our chances significantly. 

Indeed. Unfortunately we’d still have no one to finish those chances.

4 years and counting …

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Camara is the sort of signing that other (non top 2) PL teams always manage to get over the line (Palace with Cheick Doucoure as one example, Villa when they signed Guaye from Lille, Pape Gueye at Spurs etc) and they end up being a mega success in this league. The French league is full of decent and athletic CM's.

It's just our luck that the one time we tried we managed to find Ibrahima bloody Diallo. The same summer Palace signed Doucoure I think.

I really, really, really hope our scouting is better.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

More sliding tackles in that video than I saw our whole team make last season. Not a lot of ball skills or passing shown.

Dialo looked amazing in his YouTube video, so gonna reserve judgement. 

Yeah - doesn't look up to much to me, but it's so difficult to tell from a few minute snippet. 

Interesting that Dom Ballard has rejoined training. It may be that he is being viewed as an option. Other teams play 19 year olds, may be a risk but probably worth taking if it comes off. A decent loan is the more likely but he is talent.

They could be looking at a forward line of Stewart, Armstrong, Ballard, and if the stories are true Ings. Not all at once of course but not the worst line up. Two of those have to prove themselves in the Prem. I'm hoping Armstrong will continue his form now under Martin's system. They would be supported by a combination of Sam Amo Ameyaw, Edozie, Frazer, and  Sulemana (can't believe they haven't sold him).

I still think the priority is to stiffen up the midfield, they'll be working hard on the Downes deal and someone to support him. That is where Saints are exposed at the moment.

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Interesting that Dom Ballard has rejoined training. It may be that he is being viewed as an option. Other teams play 19 year olds, may be a risk but probably worth taking if it comes off. A decent loan is the more likely but he is talent.

They could be looking at a forward line of Stewart, Armstrong, Ballard, and if the stories are true Ings. Not all at once of course but not the worst line up. Two of those have to prove themselves in the Prem. I'm hoping Armstrong will continue his form now under Martin's system. They would be supported by a combination of Sam Amo Ameyaw, Edozie, Frazer, and  Sulemana (can't believe they haven't sold him).

I still think the priority is to stiffen up the midfield, they'll be working hard on the Downes deal and someone to support him. That is where Saints are exposed at the moment.

Also extremely exposed in the goalkeeping department with currently no-one Prem standard

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Camara is the sort of signing that other (non top 2) PL teams always manage to get over the line (Palace with Cheick Doucoure as one example, Villa when they signed Guaye from Lille, Pape Gueye at Spurs etc) and they end up being a mega success in this league. The French league is full of decent and athletic CM's.

It's just our luck that the one time we tried we managed to find Ibrahima bloody Diallo. The same summer Palace signed Doucoure I think.

I really, really, really hope our scouting is better.

Tbf, We were trying to sign Sangare who was very very good, But couldn't get him because of a work permit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Minogue sisters as a classic 'big woman, little woman' partnership? 

Apparently the less talented one has gone non-binary or something, so you are misgendering they/them. Hope they don't read this forum......you could be in big trouble with they/them...

4 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Apparently the less talented one has gone non-binary or something, so you are misgendering they/them. Hope they don't read this forum......you could be in big trouble with they/them...

Emergency over. SaintsWeb's resident rainbow knight Turkish can stand down. 

Minogue minor apparently bats right handed but appreciates the efforts of switch hitters

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Tbf, We were trying to sign Sangare who was very very good, But couldn't get him because of a work permit.

Sanagre, that's the other one. He went to PSV didn't he?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Isn’t he at Forest now, too?

Yeah you're right - Forest signed him for £35m a year or so ago.

Definitely one we missed the boat on, although I can't recall him ripping up trees at Forest (although no one has there due to their bat crazy transfer policy)

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Definitely one we missed the boat on, although I can't recall him ripping up trees at Forest (although no one has there due to their bat crazy transfer policy)

And it has to be easier to rip up trees at Forest than anywhere else!

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah you're right - Forest signed him for £35m a year or so ago.

He's done alright, but I agree, not exactly dominated games. 

One player who has `ripped up trees' is Murillo, who is now valued at £70m. Cost them just £10m. I hope we can sign a few players this summer that are worth £70m in a season or two.

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

He's done alright, but I agree, not exactly dominated games. 

One player who has `ripped up trees' is Murillo, who is now valued at £70m. Cost them just £10m. I hope we can sign a few players this summer that are worth £70m in a season or two.

Brighton & Palace grabbed the baton from us on that front.

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yeah he's a good CB, he's like Lyanco but with actual footballing ability. He backs up the 'pashon' with the technique. 

There is good value to be had shopping in the South American markets if we're still fixated on that £10-15m bracket. Charly for me is proof in that.

Posted (edited)

Delap going to Ipswich isn’t that big a loss. Questionable at times in the Championship and completely unproven, £20M would’ve been a lot for a player in that regard.

Have we got confirmation Che Adams left and got his dream move to Wolves or Nottingham Forest?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Delap going to Ipswich isn’t that big a loss. Questionable at times in the Championship and completely unproven, £20M would’ve been a lot for a player in that regard.

Have we got confirmation Che Adams left and got his dream move to Wolves or Nottingham Forest?

Delap looks to have all the athletic and physical attributes to be an effective centre forward, but there is something missing, a bit like Sekou Mara.  No great loss IMO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Obligatory YouTube video...

That's easily one of the best youtube highlights reels i've seen for a CM at saints. Imagining him in the middle alongside Downes.

Hungry Episode 11 GIF by The Simpsons

Failure to sign him now would result in only one thing i'm afraid...

Southampton fans return season tickets due to car parking change at St.  Mary's Stadium | Daily Echo

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)
 A10 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Delap looks to have all the athletic and physical attributes to be an effective centre forward, but there is something missing, a bit like Sekou Mara.  No great loss IMO.

No great loss perhaps but not a great look to be losing out to Ipswich and seemingly already quite far down our list of striker targets if Ings has turned us down too (and thats just the ones we know about).

If we got to the point of agreeing a fee with City then we obviously wanted him.

Our best run of fixtures is at the start so vital to have got a decent amount of the business done in time for that and there is a huge amount to do to even have a slight chance of staying up.

Edited by Dusic

2 hours ago, DT said:

Also extremely exposed in the goalkeeping department with currently no-one Prem standard

Why is Mccarthy not PL standard in your opinion? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We were reportedly interested in both Delap and Philogene, and both were players we have looked at before. To lose out on some long term targets to Ipswich is very disappointing. 

20 minutes ago, Dusic said:

No great loss perhaps but not a great look to be losing out to Ipswich and seemingly already quite far down our list of striker targets if Ings has turned us down too (and thats just the ones we know about).

If we got to the point of agreeing a fee with City then we obviously wanted him.

Our best run of fixtures is at the start so vital to have got a decent amount of the business done in time for that and there is a huge amount to do to even have a slight chance of staying up.

guess he chooses ipswich as his mates are going there as well.

• Like 1

Just now, goodymatt said:

We were reportedly interested in both Delap and Philogene, and both were players we have looked at before. To lose out on some long term targets to Ipswich is very disappointing. 

Assuming that the "reported interest" is genuine.....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

He's only 21 though - I'm not saying he's the answer for us right now but, like Mara who is also 21 (just), it's amazing how many people write players off when they're still comparatively young (although we've seen enough of Mara to show that perhaps English football isn't for him). I wouldn't be against signing Delap as an "option" but not as a first choice. In a relegation season we don't need to be taking risks like that in a key position. 

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Isn't Philogene joining Everton?

I don't believe a word about the Danny Ings links, it's pure lazy journalism and an agent trying to get himself another pay day.

Delap we are supposed to have been interested in for well over a year and i do believe we want him. IF it's true that both Ipswich and us have agreed City's release fee then i would be very disappointed if Delap choose them over us. Surely we can match or even better what Ipswich are willing to pay in wages?

I think Delap could be a very good striker given the chance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Delap gives me Harry Kane vibes, Alot of fans are going to be gutted when he starts performing in the premier league.

I've never seen him play myself, but my nephew has played against him at U21 level a few times and reckons he is up there with the best he's ever played against and going to be some player.

Given how accurate he was about Lavia and Livramento, having played against them both previously, I'm inclined to take his word for it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I don't believe a word about the Danny Ings links, it's pure lazy journalism and an agent trying to get himself another pay day.

Delap we are supposed to have been interested in for well over a year and i do believe we want him. IF it's true that both Ipswich and us have agreed City's release fee then i would be very disappointed if Delap choose them over us. Surely we can match or even better what Ipswich are willing to pay in wages?

I think Delap could be a very good striker given the chance.

TBF we don't know what his reasons are for rejecting us if that's what he's done. We were all pretty annoyed about not getting Piroe last year then Blackmore said it was because he wanted kickbacks for his family and we wouldn't pay it. Maybe this is similar. 

27 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

He's only 21 though - I'm not saying he's the answer for us right now but, like Mara who is also 21 (just), it's amazing how many people write players off when they're still comparatively young (although we've seen enough of Mara to show that perhaps football isn't for him). I wouldn't be against signing Delap as an "option" but not as a first choice. In a relegation season we don't need to be taking risks like that in a key position. 

Amended for you.