Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Matip and De Gea

Can’t believe a club hasn’t snapped up De Gea even on a short term deal, unless his wage demands are ridiculous

Matip would be decent signing on a free

we need to fuck of ABK, Perrard, Lynco who I only just remembered existed. Clean sweep of the failures from last time 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Stephens has shown he's barely Championship level, surely he won't be playing next season? 

Don’t get the Stephens hate. He’s a good championship player and he’s passable if not great in prem. given the multiple holes this team will need to fill I doubt we’ll be upgrading the likes of him or bednarek soon.

• Like 11

Shopping list:

Re-sign McCarthy, and bring in new keeper, so they compete to be number 1.

New left back

Additional central defender, or ABK if he is over his injury issues

Sign Downes 

Additional defensive midfielder

Sign Fraser

Potentially additional attacking midfielder, dependent on Stuart A staying, Alcatraz upping his game, and Salamana being moved on.

New striker, possibly two, if Che leaves. Move on Mara

• Like 4

Never too early to think ahead 🙂

GK - Baz (inj), Lumley, Lis

Baz out well into next season, so a new no 1 required. There were loads of quality keepers available, just as we thought we'd done well in getting Baz.

FB - KWP, Bree, Manning, (Stephens), Meghoma, Larios (inj), Perraud

Can't see Perraud staying, Larios has injury issues and Meghoma still young. KWP a class above the others, so may need to add, if quality available.

CB - Bedders, THB, Stephens, Lyanco, ABK, DCC

ABK and DCC are okay, but no idea if the club want them, they want to be here after the relegation season. If there's a hint of a poor attitude, they can go along with Lyanco, who I can't see staying. Bedders and THB deserve their chance. Bringing in cover got us Holgate, so a tough one.

M - Will, Aribo, Charles, Alcaraz, (Stephens)

Sign Downes. Then sign another quality player here. We've needed strengthening here for seasons. I could see Charles going off on loan. If so, that's yet another coming in. Hopefully Alcaraz will develop other areas of his game.

F - AA, Stewart, Mara, Sule, Edozie, SAA, Ounacho

Stewart barely fit. Mara not suiting system, Paul certainly not suiting it, Sule's future uncertain,  Edozie minus an end product and SAA young. Signing Fraser then a no brainer (can also fill in as wing back). Another area needing a quality Che replacement as well as a direct playing Brooks replacement.

Leaving - Alex, Stu, Che

Loan ending - Rothwell, Brooks, Fraser

Need to extend contracts of - KWP

Sign Please - Downes, Fraser

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They were likely loaned for financial reasons 

I suspect the fact that financial reasons, combined with the fact that none of them wanted to play Championship football. Be interesting how many suddenly find their passion and desire again now we're promoted. 

So we know that THB is ours, I really like the Bednarek and THB partnership and I think that has provided us real foundation. 

Downes is a must, I think this one is a goer now. It might take a little while as WHU's new coaches may want to see him, but I can only see him ending up here eventually.

Someone like Jack Clarke will happen I imagine, he'd be filling a hole in a position we'd need filling (Brooks returning etc).

So much to be excited about now. SR cocked up our last PL summer window, let's hope they get this one right. I think we have a real foundation to start with now.

• Like 3

If ABK's shoulder is fixed I would keep him. One vs one he was very strong and think he would be worth another shot in a proper structure.

Clearly will need a new LB and personally would go for Broja - price should be affordable after a poor year but the potential and attributes to be a very good PL striker are still there.

• Like 1

If ABK's shoulder is fixed I would keep him. One vs one he was very strong and think he would be worth another shot in a proper structure.

Clearly will need a new LB and personally would go for Broja - price should be affordable after a poor year but the potential and attributes to be a very good PL striker are still there.

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Clarke or McAtee would be a good addition.  

7 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Don't know if it is true but Hammers.news writes that Saints has an option to buy Downes for £12m.

Hope so. Would have been very confident in us signing him had Moyes still been there, but Lopategui will wipe the slate clean and give those on the fringes a chance

Having a quick stab at what the summer might look like.

Ins 

THB, Downes, Fraser

New GK, new LB, new DM, new winger, new CF x2

Outs

McCarthy, Lis, Lyanco, Caleta-Car, Brooks, Rothwell, Sulemana, Adams, Onuachu, Mara

Undecided

Would like see Stu back, but he may want a new challenge.

Of the many loanees out, ABK, Perraud and Alcaraz are the ones who could fit our style of play. ABK's injuries are a concern so we may wish to cash in. Perraud offers plenty going forward and is a better defender than Manning. Alcaraz proved he could do well in the PL and that was in a very poor team. The rest of the loanees I'd be happy to see the back of

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Hope so. Would have been very confident in us signing him had Moyes still been there, but Lopategui will wipe the slate clean and give those on the fringes a chance

Or he might already have other targets he wants to bring in, and Downes will be even further down the pecking order. So it might work in our favour.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Looks like ABK might be keen to stay...

Well he wasn’t keen to fight the good fight when we needed him, so he can do one. We had a team of warriors this season, last season we had a team of powder puffs, plus’s all the dressing room dramas that came with it. I’m with Turkish, no thanks.

• Like 5

If we want to continue playing the same way, we are going to need to sign quite a few technically top notch footballers. We also need to add some pace and a little power too. Far from an easy task, but much more fun than if we'd not gone up.

Imo we need to be ruthless. 'ok' in the championship is simply not good enough in the Prem.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Well he wasn’t keen to fight the good fight when we needed him, so he can do one. We had a team of warriors this season, last season we had a team of powder puffs, plus’s all the dressing room dramas that came with it. I’m with Turkish, no thanks.

I don't think he'd get in the side if I'm honest. Strong and relatively quick but he often left his man totally unmarked in the box last season. He certainly has the potential, but I certainly wouldnt lose any sleep if he left permanently. 

• Like 1

Promotion is certainly going to throw some pigeons at a cat, as Paul Merson would say. After the euphoria of yesterday, we’re going to have to start facing up to the fact that the majority of the players who got us promoted aren’t really good enough to stay up. Even some of our best players from this season, like Bednarek and AA, are only ever going to be relegation battle standard in the PL.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Promotion is certainly going to throw some pigeons at a cat, as Paul Merson would say. After the euphoria of yesterday, we’re going to have to start facing up to the fact that the majority of the players who got us promoted aren’t really good enough to stay up. Even some of our best players from this season, like Bednarek and AA, are only ever going to be relegation battle standard in the PL.

Nothing that a sprinkling of Man City 19 year olds can't sort out.

• Haha 9

38 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Spot on comment.
Difficult to come to terms with in light of the current euphoria but the step up to relative safety in the Prem is massive

• Like 1

Transfer approach will be interesting.

No DoF. Russ doesn't seem to use many youngsters; and kids aren't going to keep us up anyhow.

Wonder how ££ we have to spend?

28 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Relegation battle standard during the dismal end of Ralph's run and the shitshow that was Jones/Selles yes, but they look like players reborn under RM. We will strengthen around these two, but absolutely no reason why they cant be key players next season as we aim for relative safety. If we stand still we will be easily relegated but i imagine we'll be busy in the transfer window. Massive summer ahead

3 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Relegation battle standard during the dismal end of Ralph's run and the shitshow that was Jones/Selles yes, but they look like players reborn under RM. We will strengthen around these two, but absolutely no reason why they cant be key players next season as we aim for relative safety. If we stand still we will be easily relegated but i imagine we'll be busy in the transfer window. Massive summer ahead

In an interview on the highlights last night Martin said something about this group of players and what a great way it was for them to finish up because this is football and we all know players move on and others come in.

As you say we will be busy. I think one of the most important things is to keep that spirit in the squad and to make sure we recruit players who fit into that and won't upset it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dusic said:

ABK no and Broja no ,both too injury prone and tbh lack the passion, and probably dont need to be linked with Inns.  Ramsdale anyone? Emile Smith-rowe? Nelson,Tierney?.......

• Like 1

We really need to sign Downes, but equally we really need to sign a backup to Downes. The drop-off between him and any alternative this season was frightening, that position for me is an absolute priority by a mile. 

• Like 7

I really like Vinicius Souza at Sheffield United, a tough defensive mid who wins the ball a lot and has a high pass completion. Of the rest of the relegated players not sure there's much else for us - I wouldn't go for James Trafford just because I would like an experienced keeper in for once. Adebayo could be an option up front 10 goals in a poor Luton team isn't bad, but something tells me there is a better option out there. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

You could have said the same about Hooiveld, Kelvin, Fox, Sharp, Hammond, Puncheon, Butterfield, Chaplow, Richardson and a few others last time we came up. We’ve taken zero points of Leicester and Ipswich this year, in three months time they’ll be the four ‘easy’ games.

• Like 2

There are natural gaps in the first team to be filled. Bringing in quality there enhances our chances, and also keeps the core of the players who got us here.

Baz/Alex, Downes, Stu, Che, Fraser and Brooks all have to be replaced. There aren't players who look likely to step up over a season to those roles. Additionally, we desperately need DM cover ( and have done for a while).

That's 6 first team players, or as near as, to focus on.

A little while ago they said they'd already had chats with those who might want to go (perhaps covering promotion and non-promotion scenarios). So, there will be more natural change there too.

Quite a rebuild, before having to worry about moving on players who worked so hard to get us here.

• Like 1

I am not comfortable with a Downes, Smallbone, Aribo midfield in the PL. Manning is not good enough. Think KWP will leave and we need a new RB aswell. And we need at least one new striker even if tall Paul comes back. 

Think Alcarez and ABK will come back so we don't need a CD. Think we will have to use Sulemana, Edozie, Arma, Alcarez and maby buy one of Brooks or Fraser. 

Need a Goalkeeper.

So a Gk, Rb, Lb, Cm(even if we keep Downes), and at least 1 striker. Wouldn't mind if we got a Winger aswell. 

Posted (edited)

Downes if there’s a £12m option and Hammers News are correct is a no-brainer. We will need to go alongside him a Wanyama/Bouba Diop type giant. In terms of upcoming free agents, Callum O’Hare has been linked heavily to us and Villa, Jack Clarke as others have said. Hamer is another option - but not a free agent - if Alcaraz doesn’t come back and Stu moves on.

Of one the key variables will be what happens to the large number of loanee have out. The club supposedly wants around £20m for ABK which I can’t see anyone paying until a run of games proves his shoulder issue is fixed once and for all. Alcaraz is probably coming back, and Perraud would be a step up on Manning. Tall Paul to stay in Turkey on loan again or permanent if they can agree a deal. 

Will need a couple of first choice level strikers if Che goes to Wolves as expected. Clearly a first choice keeper, Ramsdale on loan wouldn’t be a shock.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Unless 

3 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

I am not comfortable with a Downes, Smallbone, Aribo midfield in the PL. Manning is not good enough. Think KWP will leave and we need a new RB aswell. And we need at least one new striker even if tall Paul comes back. 

Think Alcarez and ABK will come back so we don't need a CD. Think we will have to use Sulemana, Edozie, Arma, Alcarez and maby buy one of Brooks or Fraser. 

Need a Goalkeeper.

So a Gk, Rb, Lb, Cm(even if we keep Downes), and at least 1 striker. Wouldn't mind if we got a Winger aswell. 

I'd sell or loan out Mara and bring in two strikers to be honest. When Adams leaves we won't have anyone up top apart from Stewart who we won't be relying on for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chez said:

If we want to continue playing the same way, we are going to need to sign quite a few technically top notch footballers. We also need to add some pace and a little power too. Far from an easy task, but much more fun than if we'd not gone up.

Imo we need to be ruthless. 'ok' in the championship is simply not good enough in the Prem.

Very true. If you think back to last year when Burnley walked this league- they basically refused to buy THB and Nathan Tella. Terrible terrible mistakes by whoever makes those calls. 
I hope we see Flynn in a Saints shirt- and Wee man also next season - and Stu also - nit to pick those three up also bad mistake imo. 
PS. And I never thought I would say this but Alex comes into that category as well! 

Edited by gio1saints

It will be a busy summer, no doubt about that but they'll have an eye on FFP so I'm not expecting a raft of big money signings. It will be all about priorities and avoiding duplication.

Number one priority is a goalkeeper, needs to be a decent one. All hail Alex McCarthy for his late season cameo but the team needs real solidity at the back.

In defence I suspect ABK will be given a chance, but otherwise it will be steady as you go. KWP, THB, and Bendarek are all Prem standard, Stephens is an good backup and can more than hold his own if called upon. At left back I would start the process of bringing Meghoma into the team. Bale, Bridge and Shaw all started young and he looks an excellent prospect.

Midfield is where the action will be, hopefully Saints can prise Downes from West Ham but they will want serious dough after this year's performances. Whether Alcaraz fit into the Armstrong role remains to be seen but I'm sure Martin will be looking to use him. You don't let talent like that go cheaply.

Whilst questions remain over Smallbone and Aribo in the league where the football is played at a much faster pace, they will certainly be part of the squad. Charles will probably go on loan which means there will need to be some money spent in midfield to make the team more resilient.

Up front AA will be a better player for this season and Stewart has a point to prove, I bet he is just desperate to play football. Edozie is clearly in Martin's plans and I hope Dibling and SAA start to feature. I'd prefer to see them used at Saints rather than sent out on loan. Mara and Sulemana will probably go so there needs to be some increase in depth up front.

However there is the knub, consistent Premier league strikers cost £80+ million. Saints don't have that sort of money and they wouldn't be interested anyway. Lower Premier league teams have to bring on their own stars, or buy cannily from foreign leagues. Ballard was set to be ours until his injury. Lets just hope he recovers and can fulfil that promise.

I'm sure Ipswich and Forest will occupy two of the relegation berths. That means Saints will likely have to compete with Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth, Wolves, Everton, Leicester, and possibly Palace for the remaining place. They all have decent forwards capable of slicing our current defence part. Saints aren't without talent and will provide serious opposition but this is going to be one hell of a task.

Fair to say there is work to do.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Indeed, the " see how we go with what we got " philosophy will result in a worse outcome than our last Prem season and quickly wipe out all the efforts since then.

29 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You could have said the same about Hooiveld, Kelvin, Fox, Sharp, Hammond, Puncheon, Butterfield, Chaplow, Richardson and a few others last time we came up. We’ve taken zero points of Leicester and Ipswich this year, in three months time they’ll be the four ‘easy’ games.

Bit unfair to put some of those players listed in the same bracket as AA and Bednarek. Both have had multiple seasons in the PL, in fact Bednarek was a mainstay in a mid table PL finish. Im not disputing that we need to strengthen throughout the team, just think both players can be a big part of a successful season back in PL

Posted (edited)

I really hope he stays but I'm not so sure KWP will be here next season.......really hope I'm wrong but Alfie House kind of hinted on Total Saints Podcast a few weeks ago he was as good as gone.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I really hope he stays but I'm not so sure KWP will be here next season.......really hope I'm wrong but Alfie House kind of hinted on Total Saints Podcast a few weeks ago he was as good as gone.

Watch back his and che’s reaction at the final whistle. Coupled with the absolute elation going on in the background, something tells me they’re both gone (well we’re pretty certain che already is)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

This is when I wish I had watched more football.

Ramsdale ain't joining us. No chance. But signing `monster' keeper like him that exudes confidence is essential.

We need better quality at left back. I still think Omar Richards might be a good option. He's back to full fitness and played games for Olympiacos toward the end of the season. He has the talent and technical ability Manning and Perraud lack.

Hard to fault Fraser - he works his socks off, but he lacks that x factor (as a winger) you need at the to level. As a wing back he might be OK. Would Carvalho be a realistic signing? Or will Liverpool just bide their time with him? I'm not averse to us signing Brooks. He may have been a little up and down, but you've got to win a few games simply because a forward player performs some magic. 

Downes is a no brainer. Said we should sign him from Swansea. Quality player. My opinion has not changed. the little shimmy he did yesterday makes me think he can step up to the Pre no problem. Sander Berge or Ben Sheaf might be an option.  We need some legs in that midfield area. Physical attributes, bite and technical ability is a tough combination to find. Aribo looked excellent yesterday, but we could do with a player that covers the ground to add to the group.

Not sure we have a role for Hamer and O'Hare, but both look excellent footballers. Burnley players are worth looking at, just because they play the way we do and their wages will be in line with ours.

I haven't got any idea at CF. Stewart has proved nothing so far. He might be tshe answer, he might be a league 1 player for all I know. Broja is the only guy I have seen live that has what we need. If we can find a player with his attributes, pace, power and ability on the ball then snap him up. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Will be interesting to see if Carlos Alcaraz and Armel Bella-Kotchap can be reintegrated into the squad after their loans to Juventus and PSV. Both are big talents and hopefully can play a part next season in the Premier League.

ImageImage

• Like 3