Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, saintant said:

No thanks. Not at his age and with his injury history. Let's not waste a big wage.

Have we not learnt from the Walcott experiment? Bit of an odd one and surely better ploughing that wage into securing Downes?

Just now, DT said:

Have we not learnt from the Walcott experiment? Bit of an odd one and surely better ploughing that wage into securing Downes?

Walcott was brought back for nothing and did...Okay...Not great, not terrible. In the second half of the relegation season, he and Charley were the only ones who looked like they gave a sh1t.

Much like when people say "He never lived up to potential" about him, what was everyone expecting him to do??

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Verbal said:

Is Asprilla at Watford going to move this season...?

https://x.com/pranav_m28/status/1809895535630815616

Seeing as Simon Banza is currently being linked to a move to the middle east, I might need a new `favourite' HCDAJFU and Asprilla might fit the role perfectly.

I thought he looked tremendous at SMS. He really stood out in terms of touch and how much time that afforded him. My only criticism was that he dropped too deep in an effort to see more ball, and I felt much more comfortable from a Saints point of view with him a long way from goal. 

Watching his youtube video it's noticeable just how good his range of passing is. It's a cliche, but he has a lovely left foot. I think he won their young player and players player award, so it obviously wasn't an isolated good game.

I know we can't buy every talent from the championship last season, Clarke, Carvalho, Greaves...etc, but it would be nice if we grab at least one.

Only have a year left on his current contract, so if he is good enough for the Prem, then Watford probably will need to cash in this summer to avoid him walking on a free.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

I can not see KWP leaving for the 2 clubs supposedly interseted in him, Tott and WH. Niether are stating he will be the starter, both metion he will be backup? I do not see KWP being an auto starter at Saints and worshiped by our fans going to sit bench at some big clubs.

Tottenham Hotspur have been looking to sign a new right-back to act as a back-up to Pedro Porro.

As for wet spam, check out this beauty https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/saints-trying-to-get-smart-over-triple-deal-so-west-ham-must-break-their-hearts/. KWP not even their first choice.

Give him a new and improved contract 🙏🙏🙏🙏.

Edited by BERMUDASAINT

5 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I can not see KWP leaving for the 2 clubs supposedly interseted in him, Tott and WH. Niether are stating he will be the starter, both metion he will be backup? I do not see KWP being an auto starter at Saints and worshiped by our fans going to sit bench at some big clubs.

Tottenham Hotspur have been looking to sign a new right-back to act as a back-up to Pedro Porro.

As for wet spam, check out this beauty https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/saints-trying-to-get-smart-over-triple-deal-so-west-ham-must-break-their-hearts/. KWP not even their first choice.

Give him a new and improved contract 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏.

Lol. I love how many fans talk about transfers. Total fantasy land. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Lol. I love how many fans talk about transfers. Total fantasy land. 

Every footballer will back themselves to break into the new squad. Also, if not.. the new higher wages will console them I'm sure.

Re Ings ...  Rumour has it west ham offered to pay some of his wages, so we could maybe afford the risk of taking him to begin with but ....

He only has 1 year left on his contract so I suspect he/his agent want us to guarantee a contract of several years, continuing after the first year with a wage much closer to his current £125k(?) than we can afford.

Which would explain why he has reportedly turned down a move to us.  

As with virtually many, if not most, rumoured transfer, it's more about wages than transfer fee.

Ditto Oxlade-Chamberlain. ...  what wage?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Every footballer will back themselves to break into the new squad. Also, if not.. the new higher wages will console them I'm sure.

Sorry I shiuld have been clearer. I was talking about the link from the hammers fan. Completely ludicrous way to look at transfers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Re Ings ...  Rumour has it west ham offered to pay some of his wages, so we could maybe afford the risk of taking him to begin with but ....

He only has 1 year left on his contract so I suspect he/his agent want us to guarantee a contract of several years, continuing after the first year with a wage much closer to his current £125k(?) than we can afford.

As with virtually many, if not most, rumoured transfer, it's more about wages than transfer fee.

If Ings doesn't want to be here, that's fine, let him sit on Hammers bench and bank his money. His last years are just easy money, we don't want that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Sorry I shiuld have been clearer. I was talking about the link from the hammers fan. Completely ludicrous way to look at transfers. 

I've seen many West Ham fans think he's meg and not better than Coufal. 

Ings needs the big bucks to keep his weirdo new hair transplant effectively maintained. I'd still have a punt for Antonio (I know I am not in the majority here)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

1 minute ago, Dellyears said:

If Ings doesn't want to be here, that's fine, let him sit on Hammers bench and bank his money. His last years are just easy money, we don't want that.

From the West ham thread (who would be overjoyed if he left them!) 

We can confirm that Southampton did make a £6m offer for Danny Ings, 3 weeks ago and West Ham offered to subsidise some of his wages but the player turned down the move. Southampton are considering making another offer and attempt to convince the player

Personally I think he was underused at West Ham as Moyes had a tendency to use the same players and run them into the ground, and never played 2 up top - so Ings didn't really get a chance there , thus might be (cavet) be fresher than playing all the time (also see players needing game time to get sharp!)

57 minutes ago, Chez said:

Seeing as Simon Banza is currently being linked to a move to the middle east, I might need a new `favourite' HCDAJFU and Asprilla might fit the role perfectly.

I thought he was looked tremendous at SMS. He really stood out in terms of touch and how much time that afforded him. My only criticism was that he dropped too deep in an effort to see more ball, and I felt much more comfortable from a Saints point of view with him a long way from goal. 

Watching his youtube video it's noticeable just how good his range of passing is. It's a cliche, but he has a lovely left foot. I think he won their young player and players player award, so it obviously wasn't a isolated good game.

I know we can't buy every talent from the championship last season, Clarke, Carvalho, Greaves...etc, but it would be nice if we grab at least one.

He'd certainly offer us far more than Sulemana.

5 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

Personally I think he was underused at West Ham as Moyes had a tendency to use the same players and run them into the ground, and never played 2 up top - so Ings didn't really get a chance there , thus might be (cavet) be fresher than playing all the time (also see players needing game time to get sharp!)

Yet Alfie house says we have no interest. Battle of the club insiders. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

Just forget the Ings thing, he's a busted flush and only interested in the physios bench.....we need the energy of the 'up and coming'. 

I think I agree on Ings. Time to move on. If we are going to struggle to score in the EPL with whoever plays up front at least let someone younger and new have a chance at it.

Ings and Che are unlikely  to set the EPL on fire and become overnight goal scoring machine revelations - neither probably is RS- but I’d rather he be given the place in the starting line and offered the chance than those two if there was the choice. And in any case we need at least two so attacking players like Delap and O’reilly as well are required, or both better. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

FFS let's move on from Ings. He's probably a bigger sicknote now than he was a while back and will demand a high salary for laying on the physio's table.

Tbf he hasn't been injured THAT much in recent years, has he?

If it's true that he's turned us (and anyone else) down to sit on West Ham's bench and collect the money - Fair bloody play to him. They gave him a contract for a certain period of time don't blame him one little bit for wanting to see out his contract and the wage he's been promised. Their fans are a bit peeved about it but you can't whinge at footballer's for not honouring their contracts and then whinge because they do honour it but it doesn't suit the club.

• Like 9

If its true we are interested and Ings has turned us down I really dont understand the mentality of a player who has lost so much of his career to injury.

Ok he might not be paid as much if he came here but surely if you have devoted all your life to playing football the chance to be playing regularly or getting splinters sat on the bench at his age with not many years left playing should be a no brainer.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, saintant said:

He'd certainly offer us far more than Sulemana.

Hed offer something different. Sulemana doesn't have the vision or passing ability of Asprilla in any shape or form. Not sure they are competing for the same shirt though.

Asprilla played almost exclusively on the right wing for Watford, but in a lot of the youtube clips (and in the game at SMS) he seemed to drop deep and play through balls to others running beyond him - making me think he could be deployed as an attacking midfielder rather  than just an out and out winger. Possibly more of a David Brooks replacement,  assuming we don't sign him (not a lot of talk about that happening on here). 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

If its true we are interested and Ings has turned us down I really dont understand the mentality of a player who has lost so much of his career to injury.

Ok he might not be paid as much if he came here but surely if you have devoted all your life to playing football the chance to be playing regularly or getting splinters sat on the bench at his age with not many years left playing should be a no brainer.

We may not have bid, West Ham may not have accepted and Ings may not have turned us down if the first two happened. I think the only thing you can be sure about is that as he heads closer to the end of his career, there is absolutely no reason for him to move unless the money offered (be that by the buyer or a combination of seller and buyer) matches his current deal. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Football is a job. Its a short career as well. Maybe he's fallen out of love with playing like Bale. Maybe he never liked it anyway like David Bentley. Not every football eats and breaths the game, to some it is just a career path. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Chez said:

He's offer something different. Sulemana doesn't have the vision or passing ability of Asprilla in any shape or form. Not sure they are competing for the same shirt though.

Asprilla played almost exclusively on the right wing for Watford, but in a lot of the youtube clips (and in the game at SMS) he seemed to drop deep and play through balls to others running beyond him - making me think he could be deployed as an attacking midfielder rather  than just an out and out winger. Possibly more of a David Brooks replacement,  assuming we don't sign him (not a lot of talk about that happening on here). 

He is a talented player, when Watford signed him he was seen as a bit of a wonderkid. It's true that his form has dipped up and down quite a lot, he hasn't really hit the hights they hoped he would when they signed him - but last season was his most fruitful for sure. Like you I was massively impressed by him at SMS, the best player on the pitch that day. He's your typical ''play anywhere across the front'' attacking winger.

There's a player in there, but still lots of rawness. Only has a year left on his contract so potentially not crazy money.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Football is a job. Its a short career as well. Maybe he's fallen out of love with playing like Bale. Maybe he never liked it anyway like David Bentley. Not every football eats and breaths the game, to some it is just a career path. 

Indeed. My brother in law was a player and told me about loads of players who never watched the game or looked at results, they just weren't interested at all they just happened to be good at it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Indeed. My brother in law was a player and told me about loads of players who never watched the game or looked at results, they just weren't interested at all they just happened to be good at it. 

As mentioned, David Bentley and also Benoit Assou-Ekotto didn't enjoy the it or follow it in any way, just happened to be good at it. I think football fans struggle to separate their own emotional ties to the game and their club to a player's.

It's just a job. Okay it might be a job they enjoy in some cases and in others might be a job they love. But it's still a career and the whole point of a career is to make money.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Football is a job. It’s a short career as well. Maybe he's fallen out of love with playing like Bale. Maybe he never liked it anyway like David Bentley. Not every football eats and breaths the game, to some it is just a career path. 

The full back at Spurs and QPR, can’t recall his name, was another one, allegedly Danny Rose also saw it as a job. Can’t blame players who are like that, probably healthy. Doesn’t mean they won’t give their all on the pitch. Most famous is David Batty, has apparently stayed totally away from football since retirement. 

Edit - Assou-Ekotto, that’s his name

Edited by Gloucester Saint

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

The ings thing doesn't add up, Why as a club would be bid for a player for him to reject it.

The agent will know and be speaking too all concerned. File this under BS.

You're right. Either we are interested - in which case we will have been given an indication that he would be happy to sign for us or we wouldn't be wasting our time - or we have have never been interested. Given that Alfie house said the club claimed we have never been interested, I'd be inclined to believe that. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He is a talented player, when Watford signed him he was seen as a bit of a wonderkid. It's true that his form has dipped up and down quite a lot, he hasn't really hit the hights they hoped he would when they signed him - but last season was his most fruitful for sure. Like you I was massively impressed by him at SMS, the best player on the pitch that day. He's your typical ''play anywhere across the front'' attacking winger.

There's a player in there, but still lots of rawness. Only has a year left on his contract so potentially not crazy money.

We are a passing team that wants to keep the ball. To do that in the Prem you have to have some talent and there seems to be plenty there. In recent times there has been some crazy prices for guys in the last year of their contract, but you'd hope he was in the £15m not the £30m range. Still a sizeable chunk of change though - and we only have so much to spend. 

I keep reading on here that the low costs guys will help us spend on players elsewhere. I assume that is at DCM and striker, having already spent £20m on a CB (the right back situation will pay for itself). Is there going to be funds to spend on a winger or will we go low fee on Fraser only?

3 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

The full back at Spurs and QPR, can’t recall his name, was another one, allegedly Danny Rose also saw it as a job. Can’t blame players who are like that, probably healthy. Doesn’t mean they won’t give their all on the pitch. Most famous is David Batty, has apparently stayed totally away from football since retirement. 

Yes. I really don't see why it's an issue or why players are called "Money grabbers" or "Snakes" etc when they leave one job for a better job. If I played for Saints and someone offered me twice the money, even to go and warm their bench, I'd take it. And unlike most players, I actually have an affiliation to the club. Obviously I draw the line when they start refusing to play or breaching rules etc to get their move - That's when I stop siding with the player and side with the club/angry fans.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Tbf he hasn't been injured THAT much in recent years, has he?

If it's true that he's turned us (and anyone else) down to sit on West Ham's bench and collect the money - Fair bloody play to him. They gave him a contract for a certain period of time don't blame him one little bit for wanting to see out his contract and the wage he's been promised. Their fans are a bit peeved about it but you can't whinge at footballer's for not honouring their contracts and then whinge because they do honour it but it doesn't suit the club.

Fair play to him, but not at Saints expense.

42 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

We are all sat here assuming its the money only, but they have a new manager in the door. Perhaps he wants to try and prove himself to him first, so he isnt just on the bench picking up money.

12 minutes ago, St Louis said:

We are all sat here assuming it’s the money only, but they have a new manager in the door. Perhaps he wants to try and prove himself to him first, so he isnt just on the bench picking up money.

Perhaps, but I doubt it.  He’s made a career out of not playing that much.  The sort of Stuart Taylor of centre-forwards.

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

We are a passing team that wants to keep the ball. To do that in the Prem you have to have some talent and there seems to be plenty there. In recent times there has been some crazy prices for guys in the last year of their contract, but you'd hope he was in the £15m not the £30m range. Still a sizeable chunk of change though - and we only have so much to spend. 

I keep reading on here that the low costs guys will help us spend on players elsewhere. I assume that is at DCM and striker, having already spent £20m on a CB (the right back situation will pay for itself). Is there going to be funds to spend on a winger or will we go low fee on Fraser only?

I'm hoping for some quality in the loan market. Maybe spend big on Downes or equivalent, an AM and a striker and then another striker and winger as a loan option? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

I seem to remember Oliver Kahn being quite outspoken about his dislike for football too. 

That said, after 10+ years away post retirement he joined the Bayern Munich board. So, maybe he did have some love for the game after all

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I remember Jackie Charlton saying that he wasn’t in love with football the same way that his brother Bobby was. He said that if Bobby was driving past a local match and a corner was about to be taken he had to stop and see the outcome. Jackie said that he would just drive straight past.

• Like 2

Can't say I am too gutted. The cynic in me wonders if Sao Paulo are the ones who have been feeding the press re: Saints to smoke Torino out

• Like 2