Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Could say that about anyone.

I wouldn’t sign him, FWIW.

Yes you could. But I’d be inclined to factor their injury record into the decision making. 
‘No’ from me largely for that reason as well. 

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Indeed, and we can’t loan him because his contract expires next summer.

Potential loan move links haven’t materialised yet, but you’d imagine we’d be in for a couple to save ££’s.

The loans will be where our big, side quality improving signings come from IMO.

But we'll need to be patient and wait until the back end of August.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Indeed, and we can’t loan him because his contract expires next summer.

Potential loan move links haven’t materialised yet, but you’d imagine we’d be in for a couple to save ££’s.

why does that mean we cant loan him?

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We’ve got more ‘options’ than you can poke a stick at. What we don’t have are more than three players who are good enough for the PL; KWP, THB and Taylor and one of them could be leaving.

In truth, we don't even know if THB is good enough yet. His errors weren't punished last season. They will be this. Its going t be very interesting to see how he and AA (coming in off the right where he looked far better) perform.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Wellington transfer is such a non-Saintsy signing. Definitely a club signing than a Russell Martin signing.
I can’t imagine he does much scouting of the Brazilian league. 😂

Judging by the geometric facial hair I’d wager that Russell is a connoisseur of the Brazilian league.

8 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Judging by the geometric facial hair I’d wager that Russell is a connoisseur of the Brazilian league.

Apparently when he shows off his Hollywood balls in training it's quite something to behold 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

West ham itk apparently saying ings has turned us down. Odd how the link keeps resurfacing if he's never had any intention of coming here. 

Real one or wannabe?

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

He's on somewhere between £120-135k per week apparently. 

We'd need him to drop that by 60-70% before he's affordable to us, which he obviously won't do. I can't see WHU subsidising any wage that much either.

I know football is a short career etc, but I can't help wondering at the point Ings retires, and he looks back on his career does he really think he has achieved much. I know he played at Liverpoool etc and had a few nasty injuries, but it seems he has put money before playing actual games. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I know football is a short career etc, but I can't help wondering at the point Ings retires, and he looks back on his career does he really think he has achieved much. I know he played at Liverpoool etc and had a few nasty injuries, but it seems he has put money before playing actual games. 

He's living the dream. Maximum earning for minimum effort. He's only human, after all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Screenshot_20240707_114426_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba2744cac9893261c7f227bfd35a43f8.jpg

This is the Bournemouth team which started their first game back in the PL two seasons ago. Beat Villa 2-0 and stayed up comfortably that season. How many of those players were good enough for the PL at the time (or even now)?

Yes we need a new striker or 2, CM, RB potentially and a winger, but we will sign more players. However we shouldnt write off the players who were relegated with us before and have had a great season in the EFL winning games and building their confidence. Quite a few of them will be good enough for the PL. Continuity counts for alot rather than making mass changes. 

Understand this point of view but the PL advances all the time. Aside from the 3 promoted sides the weakest teams in theory are Forest and Brentford. Yet both of those have 3 or 4 attacking players that are better than any of ours.

I fully expect some of our promoted lads to be pretty decent but even the most optimistic fan surely realises we need some major quality to be added in attack to even have a chance. Our best CF is about to leave on a free and our only reliable scorer last season struggled hugely at this level last time. 

IMO its those signings that will determine our fate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Screenshot_20240707_114426_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba2744cac9893261c7f227bfd35a43f8.jpg

This is the Bournemouth team which started their first game back in the PL two seasons ago. Beat Villa 2-0 and stayed up comfortably that season. How many of those players were good enough for the PL at the time (or even now)?

Yes we need a new striker or 2, CM, RB potentially and a winger, but we will sign more players. However we shouldnt write off the players who were relegated with us before and have had a great season in the EFL winning games and building their confidence. Quite a few of them will be good enough for the PL. Continuity counts for alot rather than making mass changes. 

So? Why is that Bournemouth team more relevant than the Derby team that went down with eleven points? We don’t know for certain how anyone will play but signing a bunch of substandard players as ‘options’ just seems daft to me. Players like Lallana, Ings, Wood and McC are the calibre we need to be replacing this summer, not signing.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

What is there not to like?

earning millions training for a kick about every day.

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Got a medal for winning the European competition with West Ham to be fair.

25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What is there not to like?

earning millions training for a kick about every day.

My thought was centred around the fact that after the injuries, he would have wanted to play more games. He's hardly played a stack load of games after leaving us.

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

My thought was centred around the fact that after the injuries, he would have wanted to play more games. He's hardly played a stack load of games after leaving us.

Maybe his thought, after the injuries, was maximise his income and ensure he is set up for life just in case he gets a career ending injury?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Maybe his thought, after the injuries, was maximise his income and ensure he is set up for life just in case he gets a career ending injury?

That's true enough. I guess I've always has the mindset that if I was a pro footballer I'd want to play as many games as I possibly could. 

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I’m not really clear on what your point is here. Unless he’s injured his back picking up his wallet at some point, I don’t get how  earning more money has any bearing on his fitness issues.

11 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Sorry about posting that crap. My excuse is that it suddenly popped up on my phone late last night and in my excitement I didn't really check the date or source....I am suitably repentant....

Don’t worry, you’ve gained a gold card membership to the COT, so every cloud…..

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not really clear on what your point is here. Unless he’s injured his back picking up his wallet at some point, I don’t get how  earning more money has any bearing on his fitness issues.

Like I said above, if I was playing professional, I'd want to play as many games as I could. 

5 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I can't, he hasn't been good for a couple of years now and is perpetually injured. He's also significantly overpaid. Literally makes no sense to me otherwise than nostalgia.

I don’t believe we were ever interested in Ings. Bit of lazy journalism. He doesn’t fit in our team in anyway. His wages, his attitude, his poor fitness. 
I just can’t see Russell Martin saying Danny Ings, yeah he’d be perfect for us . As a back up it doesn’t make any sense either. 
we took Lalana back that decision makes perfect sense.

i reckon we will be raiding a couple a Scottish teams very soon.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Like I said above, if I was playing professional, I'd want to play as many games as I could. 

For a lot of players I imagine being a professional footballer becomes just another job after a while.  Particularly those who don't reach the very top (i.e. playing for a team fighting for trophies).  So there will be some who would be content to be in a squad and pick up as much money as possible.

No idea if Ings is like that, but wouldn't surprise me 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

It doesn't matter how fit he is (or not), ultimately it's not his decision whether he plays.

Might as well get the best wage on offer when there are no guarantees.

• Like 1

So, as far as I have been able to establish, these are all of the current rumours about players that Saints may be signing at present...

Name

Position

Club

Wellington Damascena

LB/LWB/LW

Sao Paolo

Max Aarons

RB

Bournemouth

Yukinari Sugawara

RB

AZ Alkmaar

Flynn Downes

CM

West Ham

Scott  McTominay

CM

Man Utd

Matt O’Riley

CM

Celtic

Saman Ghoddos

Winger

Brentford

Ryan Fraser

Winger

Newcastle

Tiago Gouveia

Winger

Benfica

Jack Clarke

Winger

Sunderland

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Winger

Besiktas

Fabio Carvalho

AM/Winger

Liverpool

Liam Delap

Striker

Man City

Ben Brereton- Diaz

Striker

Villareal

Jeronimo Domina

Striker

Unión de Santa Fe

Martin Branthwaite

Striker

Espanyol

Bojan Miovski

Striker

Aberdeen

Danny Ings

Striker

West Ham

Have I missed any?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, as far as I have been able to establish, these are all of the current rumours about players that Saints may be signing at present...

Name

Position

Club

Wellington Damascena

LB/LWB/LW

Sao Paolo

Max Aarons

RB

Bournemouth

Yukinari Sugawara

RB

AZ Alkmaar

Flynn Downes

CM

West Ham

Scott  McTominay

CM

Man Utd

Matt O’Riley

CM

Celtic

Saman Ghoddos

Winger

Brentford

Ryan Fraser

Winger

Newcastle

Tiago Gouveia

Winger

Benfica

Jack Clarke

Winger

Sunderland

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Winger

Besiktas

Fabio Carvalho

AM/Winger

Liverpool

Liam Delap

Striker

Man City

Ben Brereton- Diaz

Striker

Villareal

Jeronimo Domina

Striker

Unión de Santa Fe

Martin Branthwaite

Striker

Espanyol

Bojan Miovski

Striker

Aberdeen

Danny Ings

Striker

West Ham

Have I missed any?

when i look at that list I reckon we are, we could or should  be in for 8 of those players!

WELLINGTON - we already are in for him

YUKINARI - Ditto

FLYNN - Ditto

O'RILEY - We should be

FRASER - we already are

CLARKE - We should be

DELAP - We could be

JERONIMO - We are already

MIOVSKI - We could be

Thats a lot of players, but thankfully we are or have got rid of some dead wood already.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Name

Position

Club

Wellington Damascena

LB/LWB/LW

Sao Paolo

Max Aarons

RB

Bournemouth

Yukinari Sugawara

RB

AZ Alkmaar

Flynn Downes

CM

West Ham

Scott  McTominay

CM

Man Utd

Matt O’Riley

CM

Celtic

Saman Ghoddos

Winger

Brentford

Ryan Fraser

Winger

Newcastle

Tiago Gouveia

Winger

Benfica

Jack Clarke

Winger

Sunderland

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Winger

Besiktas

Fabio Carvalho

AM/Winger

Liverpool

Liam Delap

Striker

Man City

Ben Brereton- Diaz

Striker

Villareal

Jeronimo Domina

Striker

Unión de Santa Fe

Martin Branthwaite

Striker

Espanyol

Bojan Miovski

Striker

Aberdeen

Danny Ings

Striker

West Ham

Have I missed any?

Jason Steele from Brighton has been one that's just come to light.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Name

Position

Club

Wellington Damascena

LB/LWB/LW

Sao Paolo

Max Aarons

RB

Bournemouth

Yukinari Sugawara

RB

AZ Alkmaar

Flynn Downes

CM

West Ham

Scott  McTominay

CM

Man Utd

Matt O’Riley

CM

Celtic

Saman Ghoddos

Winger

Brentford

Ryan Fraser

Winger

Newcastle

Tiago Gouveia

Winger

Benfica

Jack Clarke

Winger

Sunderland

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Winger

Besiktas

Fabio Carvalho

AM/Winger

Liverpool

Liam Delap

Striker

Man City

Ben Brereton- Diaz

Striker

Villareal

Jeronimo Domina

Striker

Unión de Santa Fe

Martin Branthwaite

Striker

Espanyol

Bojan Miovski

Striker

Aberdeen

Danny Ings

Striker

West Ham

Have I missed any?

No but you spelt Welington wrongly which undermined you impressive work. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Name

Position

Club

Wellington Damascena

LB/LWB/LW

Sao Paolo

Max Aarons

RB

Bournemouth

Yukinari Sugawara

RB

AZ Alkmaar

Flynn Downes

CM

West Ham

Scott  McTominay

CM

Man Utd

Matt O’Riley

CM

Celtic

Saman Ghoddos

Winger

Brentford

Ryan Fraser

Winger

Newcastle

Tiago Gouveia

Winger

Benfica

Jack Clarke

Winger

Sunderland

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Winger

Besiktas

Fabio Carvalho

AM/Winger

Liverpool

Liam Delap

Striker

Man City

Ben Brereton- Diaz

Striker

Villareal

Jeronimo Domina

Striker

Unión de Santa Fe

Martin Branthwaite

Striker

Espanyol

Bojan Miovski

Striker

Aberdeen

Danny Ings

Striker

West Ham

Have I missed any?

Wasn’t there some young Korean striker suggested at some point (can’t remember who). Otherwise that’s a pretty comprehensive list of the names we’ve heard.

Except the ex-saint midfielder hinted at of course … if it is true and not one of the above already named

Seems Liam Delap is on his way to Ipswich as well as Greaves and Philogene!

Re AOC I doubt anything in it and certainly wouldn't trust any report out of Turkey!

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Seems Liam Delap is on his way to Ipswich as well as Greaves and Philogene!

Re AOC I doubt anything in it and certainly wouldn't trust any report out of Turkey!

pure speculation: not itk.   Besiktas were after Onuachu.

2 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

when i look at that list I reckon we are, we could or should  be in for 8 of those players!

WELLINGTON - we already are in for him

YUKINARI - Ditto

FLYNN - Ditto

O'RILEY - We should be

FRASER - we already are

CLARKE - We should be

DELAP - We could be

JERONIMO - We are already

MIOVSKI - We could be

Thats a lot of players, but thankfully we are or have got rid of some dead wood already.

Quite exciting list even if we only get three of them. But we've got to pay for them so does anyone know who has gone/ is going?

8 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

ANother turncoat we dont want back,  clearly this club is desperate for a director of football and not a hoover salesman buying players for old time sake.

Are you the definition of a male Karen? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

AppareApparently the Ox has agreed to come back.

No thanks. Not at his age and with his injury history. Let's not waste a big wage.

• Like 3