Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Welington’s agent, Robson Ferreira: 

"Contract drafts are being exchanged. We are adjusting the salary and tax issues, since English taxes are even higher than they are here in Brazil.”

3 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

"Contract drafts are being exchanged. We are adjusting the salary and tax issues, since English taxes are even higher than they are here in Brazil.”

Ugh...

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Wellington transfer is such a non-Saintsy signing. Definitely a club signing than a Russell Martin signing.
I can’t imagine he does much scouting of the Brazilian league. 😂

the question is, have our scouts actually done any scouting in Brazil either?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Wellington transfer is such a non-Saintsy signing. Definitely a club signing than a Russell Martin signing.

Will it be purely a Saints signing, or an SR signing ? 

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Possibility it’s one for the Turkish arm of SR rather than saints? Although not sure why it would go through us, but Lis did I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Free Agent FC are back for more 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Arda Güler is about to sign with Southampton. Leicester City also made an offer for Arda. But since he does not meet the criteria, he will be loaned to Belgium.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arda_Güler

What criteria? 10 la liga appearances. 32 super lig appearances. 19 years old. Why would he have to be loaned out instead of joining immediately?

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What criteria? 10 la liga appearances. 32 super lig appearances. 19 years old. Why would have to be loaned out instead of joining immediately?

It’s an old post from 18 months ago

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Considering he'd signed for Real Madrid six months later, I suspect neither us nor Leics were ever really in the running.

Why has this been brought up? I got excited for a moment 😅

Edited by Disco Stu

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Screenshot_20240706_221010_X.jpg

He’s one of those gullible prats that believes everything he reads on the internet and also claims to be ITK without any form of source. There’s another muppet called Alex who does the same thing on Twitter. You can tell college is almost over for the summer.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sorry about posting that crap. My excuse is that it suddenly popped up on my phone late last night and in my excitement I didn't really check the date or source....I am suitably repentant....

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

As I mentioned in post a couple of weeks ago, we won’t really know where we are until September with Euros, season starting a bit later etc.  Current thoughts:

- Is Bednarek staying?  If yes, and assuming we get rid of DCC permanently, then I think we are sorted for centre backs with six including ABK.  If all are still here at end of window I think you may see Edwards sent on loan to championship until January.

- is KWP staying?  Rumours suggest not.  If so we obviously need to replace him, and in my opinion sign another full back so that Bree is number four in that department not number three as I would sell or loan out Manning, and loan out Larios and Meghoma.

- is Downes signing?  Either way, we need to sign two, not one, quality holding midfielders ideally with Downes as one.  Charles is not ready for Premier League, and I would loan him to championship.

- is O’Riley signing?  If so we have enough attacking midfielders along with Aribo, Smallbone and Lallana.

- is Adams staying?  If so, would sell Mara and sign additional two strikers.  If Adams goes, we need three.  

- is Fraser signing and Kamaldeen staying?  If so we have enough wingers.  If not, each one needs replacing.  We also have a gap that Brooks was filling

- we still need to sign a top keeper and McCarthy be number two.  Sell Lumley.

So still a hell of a lot of activity needed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forester said:

As I mentioned in post a couple of weeks ago, we won’t really know where we are until September with Euros, season starting a bit later etc.  Current thoughts:

- Is Bednarek staying?  If yes, and assuming we get rid of DCC permanently, then I think we are sorted for centre backs with six including ABK.  If all are still here at end of window I think you may see Edwards sent on loan to championship until January.

- is KWP staying?  Rumours suggest not.  If so we obviously need to replace him, and in my opinion sign another full back so that Bree is number four in that department not number three as I would sell or loan out Manning, and loan out Larios and Meghoma.

- is Downes signing?  Either way, we need to sign two, not one, quality holding midfielders ideally with Downes as one.  Charles is not ready for Premier League, and I would loan him to championship.

- is O’Riley signing?  If so we have enough attacking midfielders along with Aribo, Smallbone and Lallana.

- is Adams staying?  If so, would sell Mara and sign additional two strikers.  If Adams goes, we need three.  

- is Fraser signing and Kamaldeen staying?  If so we have enough wingers.  If not, each one needs replacing.  We also have a gap that Brooks was filling

- we still need to sign a top keeper and McCarthy be number two.  Sell Lumley.

So still a hell of a lot of activity needed.

You are quite correct. However I suspect the club has a better idea of the answers to these questions than we do.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Free Agent FC are back for more 

Is that a compliment ...or a complaint ?

Historically (for many decades past)  the vast percentage of our " record buys"  have been totally disasterous investments,

yet some of our best players who served the club well were signed for relatively small fees.,,(some even on free transfers) . 

The problem with this league is that fans start to discount any player signed for less than 20 million ..(even 40 million if they are in top six)

whereas they are seldom value for the huge fees paid out.   Luck / bad luck ...or just good timing ?.  

Spurs let KWP come to us, then spent almost 100 million on several "big names " in trying to replace him and who subsequently failed miserably.

Every player is an investment (of sorts) but when clubs like Saints buy  " a Lavia or Livramento ", and then sell them on it' s a win-win situation.

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You are quite correct. However I suspect the club has a better idea of the answers to these questions than we do.

Just had a thought of them sitting round a table reading our posts... "Ah hell, they're right! We *will* need an extra player there!" 🙂

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Is that a compliment ...or a complaint ?

Historically (for many decades past)  the vast percentage of our " record buys"  have been totally disasterous investments,

yet some of our best players who served the club well were signed for relatively small fees.,,(some even on free transfers) . 

The problem with this league is that fans start to discount any player signed for less than 20 million ..(even 40 million if they are in top six)

whereas they are seldom value for the huge fees paid out.   Luck / bad luck ...or just good timing ?.  

Spurs let KWP come to us, then spent almost 100 million on several "big names " in trying to replace him and who subsequently failed miserably.

Every player is an investment (of sorts) but when clubs like Saints buy  " a Lavia or Livramento ", and then sell them on it' s a win-win situation.

It was intended as neither to be honest, more of an observation 😂

54 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Just had a thought of them sitting round a table reading our posts... "Ah hell, they're right! We *will* need an extra player there!" 🙂

Let's face it over the years there's been some bonkers posts on here inc me BUT there have also been really good suggestions that the club could of cast a slight eye over

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Of course you’re right; but when the club fail to sign a vaguely competent striker or gk for 4 years you do sometimes wonder …

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd prefer Miovski if we are spending 6 million. Hopefully if we do sign ings he's just a backup option and we get another in. I'd be happy to have him as an option. 

We’ve got more ‘options’ than you can poke a stick at. What we don’t have are more than three players who are good enough for the PL; KWP, THB and Taylor and one of them could be leaving.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We’ve got more ‘options’ than you can poke a stick at. What we don’t have are more than three players who are good enough for the PL; KWP, THB and Taylor and one of them could be leaving.

You've got no idea how some of these players will perform in the premier league. It's also nowhere near the end of the window. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd prefer Miovski if we are spending 6 million. Hopefully if we do sign ings he's just a backup option and we get another in. I'd be happy to have him as an option. 

Surprised this link hasn’t resurfaced, and would prefer him to most of the other names linked.
Brereton- Diaz another, at least with some recent scoring history. 
Both with their prime years ahead of them you would hope. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Screenshot_20240707_114426_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba2744cac9893261c7f227bfd35a43f8.jpg

This is the Bournemouth team which started their first game back in the PL two seasons ago. Beat Villa 2-0 and stayed up comfortably that season. How many of those players were good enough for the PL at the time (or even now)?

Yes we need a new striker or 2, CM, RB potentially and a winger, but we will sign more players. However we shouldnt write off the players who were relegated with us before and have had a great season in the EFL winning games and building their confidence. Quite a few of them will be good enough for the PL. Continuity counts for alot rather than making mass changes. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Sport witness say Leicester and us are looking at Benficas winger Tiago Gouveia.

On the face of it, we seem to be fishing in the same pool as Leicester for signings. I wonder if the supposed incoming "punishment" for them might have any influence which team players choose to join?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Screenshot_20240707_114426_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba2744cac9893261c7f227bfd35a43f8.jpg

This is the Bournemouth team which started their first game back in the PL two seasons ago. Beat Villa 2-0 and stayed up comfortably that season. How many of those players were good enough for the PL at the time (or even now)?

Yes we need a new striker or 2, CM, RB potentially and a winger, but we will sign more players. However we shouldnt write off the players who were relegated with us before and have had a great season in the EFL winning games and building their confidence. Quite a few of them will be good enough for the PL. Continuity counts for alot rather than making mass changes. 

Absolutely. That was a championship team on paper, but the players proved good enough. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Sport witness say Leicester and us are looking at Benficas winger Tiago Gouveia.

Hasn’t he been linked before, possibly last summer or 2022? 

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Absolutely. That was a championship team on paper, but the players proved good enough. 

Exactly. Writing off many of our players because they haven't proven themselves in the prem is unfair if they haven't been given much or any chance to perform there in a settled team under our system. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Let's face it over the years there's been some bonkers posts on here inc me BUT there have also been really good suggestions that the club could of cast a slight eye over

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Of course you’re right; but when the club fail to sign a vaguely competent striker or gk for 4 years you do sometimes wonder …

I don't disagree. I was just picturing a group that had no idea, hanging on our every post for some kind of sign.

Chewy mentioned GKs. I had started on a line with Romeu replacements. But I took it out to maintain the comedy focus. So, that worked well for me. 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
autocarrot on GK
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Many people thought Fonte wouldn't handle the step up the PL, and that Jos was the better fit. Total opposite happened there.

It's not really fair throwing the ''only Championship quality'' rug over players who have never, ever had the opportunity to prove themselves any higher. Wood, Edwards, THB, Will Smallbone, Stewart etc all full under that hat.

It's probably more fair to say ''Unproven players'' rather than ''Championship standard''.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

I can understand the idea of bringing Ings back, but the finances don’t work out considering he’s one of West Ham’s top earners… & his recent move decisions indicate that’s pretty important to him.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I can understand the idea of bringing Ings back, but the finances don’t work out considering he’s one of West Ham’s top earners… & his recent move decisions indicate that’s pretty important to him.

He's on somewhere between £120-135k per week apparently. 

We'd need him to drop that by 60-70% before he's affordable to us, which he obviously won't do. I can't see WHU subsidising any wage that much either.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I can't, he hasn't been good for a couple of years now and is perpetually injured. He's also significantly overpaid. Literally makes no sense to me otherwise than nostalgia.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

West ham itk apparently saying ings has turned us down. Odd how the link keeps resurfacing if he's never had any intention of coming here. 

His agent pretending to the new manager that his client is in demand?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I can't, he hasn't been good for a couple of years now and is perpetually injured. He's also significantly overpaid. Literally makes no sense to me otherwise than nostalgia.

Better than what we have, TBF.

But I take your points.

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's on somewhere between £120-135k per week apparently. 

We'd need him to drop that by 60-70% before he's affordable to us, which he obviously won't do. I can't see WHU subsidising any wage that much either.

Indeed, and we can’t loan him because his contract expires next summer.

Potential loan move links haven’t materialised yet, but you’d imagine we’d be in for a couple to save ££’s.