Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Not that promising? The author of that article only just stops shy of saying "he's shite, my Nan could do better".

Bit of an odd one this one. I'd rather have left the pathway open to Meghoma being backup

Ha ha, yeah, I was being polite.  Don't really want to slag the bloke off without having seen him but even when you go onto YouTube it's hard to see anything particularly good.

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Ha ha, yeah, I was being polite.  Don't really want to slag the bloke off without having seen him but even when you go onto YouTube it's hard to see anything particularly good.

Hmm. Doesn't sound great. Hopefully just one for the future. 

Could be one we send out to Goztepe/Valenciennes. We have loads of left-backs with the signing of Taylor and can't see us discarding Manning even if it is the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

I guess he isn't costing much (or anything) so it's low risk. Our scouts must have seen something and he is young. Could end up being one of those diamonds in the rough. It's been a hot minute since we have signed a player out of nowhere who nobody really knows much about who does quite well. The Pahars, Berkovic, Lundekvam or Ostenstadt type signings who end up being great for us but came out of relatively nowhere

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hmm. Doesn't sound great. Hopefully just one for the future. 

2 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

I guess he isn't costing much (or anything) so it's low risk. Our scouts must have seen something and he is young. Could end up being one of those diamonds in the rough. It's been a hot minute since we have signed a player out of nowhere who nobody really knows much about who does quite well. The Pahars, Berkovic, Lundekvam or Ostenstadt type signings who end up being great for us but came out of relatively nowhere

To be fair Torino were supposed to be interested, he's only 23 and he's played 113 times for a decent team in Brazil.  You'd like to think that there's something about him that would justify getting him in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

To be fair Torino were supposed to be interested, he's only 23 and he's played 113 times for a decent team in Brazil.  You'd like to think that there's something about him that would justify getting him in.

Supposedly Brentford were interested last year and he was valued around 14 million. Not sure how true that is. 

Translation: The @SouthamptonFC has already had the medical examinations carried out by #Welington of the @SaoPauloFC. But the @TorinoFC_1906 still hopes to prevail

• Like 1

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

This was posted earlier in the thread: https://targetscouting.com/2024/05/01/welington-sao-paulo-scout-report/

It's not that promising.

That's being kind! Essentially it says he's an average defender who gets done easily,has crap close control, can't shoot, crosses without looking,  plays only safe passes, they he can do a job in Brazil but that's his ceiling, and he won't make it over here. Very odd move. 

Some quotes:

"Welington has specific skills that make him an okay left-back in the Brazilian league, but this is also his ceiling. He is too poor defensively to make an impact in a significant European league"

14 minutes ago, Butthole_Surfer said:

Hopefully Ghoddos will be announced today. Downes will be crucial coming in next. Some more midfield muscle like Sander Berge would be awesome as well.

Ghoddos was on international duty with Iran with him playing on 11th June.

I would hope he could be in the building on Monday having had an decent length holiday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

That's being kind! Essentially it says he's an average defender who gets done easily,has crap close control, can't shoot, crosses without looking,  plays only safe passes, they he can do a job in Brazil but that's his ceiling, and he won't make it over here. Very odd move. 

Some quotes:

"Welington has specific skills that make him an okay left-back in the Brazilian league, but this is also his ceiling. He is too poor defensively to make an impact in a significant European league"

This is the only bit we were interested in from that report.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

This is the only bit we were interested in from that report.

Are we sure he is Brazilian? He doesn't seem to possess any of the skills that you normally associate with a Brazilian. Mind you neither did Lyanco 😂

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, egg said:

Manning for sure id guess. I'd imagine Larios, although I think Meghoma only has a year in his deal so it could be him going, or perhaps even both of the youngsters 

not so sure  about that.  Very few teenagers make the first team on a regular basis but I can see " the Larios and Meghoma-type " youngsters getting

good loan-outs but it's a big step to the Prem. for anyone at that age, but they all need a taste of  "men's football" at some level to access their ability.

Lewis Payne had a season with Newport County last season , and hopefully will improve. He might return to the fold in a year or two -much improved.

The " final 25 Prem." doesn't include anyone who is "underage " and so the Edozie's and Mara's may still be on the bench, but as additions to " the 25 ".

It seems that we are in for a massive overhaul of the squad having started with the back line.  So far Lallana is the only midfield " name " and still no 

sign of any new strikers yet.  Having gone the season without Ross Stewart, and having lost Ché Adams, we need a couple of new names PDQ.

Edited by david in sweden

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Are we sure he is Brazilian? He doesn't seem to possess any of the skills that you normally associate with a Brazilian. Mind you neither did Lyanco 😂

I’m not sure that’s entirely true. 😃. Lyanco was and is acutely aware of his Brazilian heritage. Indeed it was probably the main reason he ultimately could not play in a RM team.  

The times I watched him play - including his last match away to Gills, it was clear he was not following the instructions he was given as diligently as others regarding position or when to pass or how and instead wished to rely on his Brazilian passion and the occasional Hollywood pass or trick to plat his football.
Being Brazilian this is natural but his relative ill discipline plus the disadvantage of not being Neymar and playing at CB meant it was not going to end well..

NB. But he gets full marks for passion/charisma but that alone is not enough to win football matches unfortunately.  Who doesn’t like watching saints players with that fire in the belly. We’ve had a few - Ruddock and Williams, Case and Dennis spring to mind..

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I’m not sure that’s entirely true. 😃. Lyanco was and is acutely aware of his Brazilian heritage. Indeed it was probably the main reason he ultimately could not play in a RM team.  

The times I watched him play - including his last match away to Gills, it was clear he was not following the instructions he was given as diligently as others regarding position or when to pass or how and instead wished to rely on his Brazilian passion and the occasional Hollywood pass or trick to plat his football.
Being Brazilian this is natural but his relative ill discipline plus the disadvantage of not being Neymar and playing at CB meant it was not going to end well..

NB. But he gets full marks for passion/charisma but that alone is not enough to win football matches unfortunately.  Who doesn’t like watching saints players with that fire in the belly. We’ve had a few - Ruddock and Williams, Case and Dennis spring to mind..

But those guys could actually play as well. Tends to help massively. 

43 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

not so sure  about that.  Very few teenagers make the first team on a regular basis but I can see " the Larios and Meghoma-type " youngsters getting

good loan-outs but it's a big step to the Prem. for anyone at that age, but they all need a taste of  "men's football" at some level to access their ability.

Lewis Payne had a season with Newport County last season , and hopefully will improve. He might return to the fold in a year or two -much improved.

The " final 25 Prem." doesn't include anyone who is "underage " and so the Edozie's and Mara's may still be on the bench, but as additions to " the 25 ".

It seems that we are in for a massive overhaul of the squad having started with the back line.  So far Lallana is the only midfield " name " and still no 

sign of any new strikers yet.  Having gone the season without Ross Stewart, and having lost Ché Adams, we need a couple of new names PDQ.

We don't need 2 LB youngsters who may or may not make it imo. Larios is tiny and I don't see him making it in the PL personally, but Meghoma appears to have it. Is Meghoma likely to extend his deal if he's behind Larios plus the first teamers?

• Like 2

Sounds from that article that he's best as a left sided wing back. Maybe shows that we are looking to go 3 at the back more often.

If Taylor then plays LCB it could leave him as the one who steps out into midfield to change the shape when we attack.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Could be one we send out to Goztepe/Valenciennes. We have loads of left-backs with the signing of Taylor and can't see us discarding Manning even if it is the right thing to do. 

I did wonder this, but can anyone explain how that works in terms of the FFP , if -as I understand it - the cost of the signing (if a fee is involved) is recorded against Saints ? 

Posted (edited)

Not sure why we persist with trying the South American market as we have had no success with any of them.

Going all the way back to Delgado we have just wasted money and they have all been disasters for us.

Also we haven’t signed Wood and Edwards to then play Taylor as a Centre back.

Edited by northam soul
  • Like 1

I have a few contacts who follow football religiously in Brazil through family. I asked about Wellington, the reply was a long string of laughing emojis and a comment that at least he's slightly better than Lyanco...bodes well 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Assuming we sign Fraser later in the window (assume Newcastle won't sell til after we have played them) then do we actually need Ghoddos?

At some stage we will really need to sign some genuine quality in attacking areas...not sure he is that!

33 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Not sure why we persist with trying the South American market as we have had no success with any of them.

Going all the way back to Delgado we have just wasted money and they have all been disasters for us.

Delgado has zero relevance to our current recruitment.

South America seems one of the few markets where there is actually value to be had for clubs without endless budgets.

Quite happy for Saints to be looking there and in Asia.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Alfie seems to think DCC is heading to Lyon for £5Million.

So that's 12M for Lyanco, DCC and Perraud.

Whilst we've spent £6M for Edwards, Wood, Taylor and Lallana.

Excellent business so far.

It seems we are prepared for PL return by selling PL players and buying championship players. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

It seems we are prepared for PL return by selling PL players and buying championship players. 

Yes, we’re all gutted our proven premier league players Caleta-Car, Perraud and Lyanco have been sold.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Is that a serious post? How is signing Charlie Taylor a championship player? You wouldn’t have signed Harwood-Bellis?

Did you ever watch Lyanco? DCC put in an absolute horrendous performance against Grimsby !!

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Not that promising? The author of that article only just stops shy of saying "he's shite, my Nan could do better".

Bit of an odd one this one. I'd rather have left the pathway open to Meghoma being backup

Maybe we're signing him for Goztepe? Like we did Lis

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I did wonder this, but can anyone explain how that works in terms of the FFP , if -as I understand it - the cost of the signing (if a fee is involved) is recorded against Saints ? 

They give us a £50m loan fee.

4 hours ago, egg said:

We don't need 2 LB youngsters who may or may not make it imo. Larios is tiny and I don't see him making it in the PL personally, but Meghoma appears to have it. Is Meghoma likely to extend his deal if he's behind Larios plus the first teamers?

Full backs aren't required to be so tall,  but youngsters do grow. Gareth Bale was (reportedly) still only 5'4" when he was 15 - but he beefed up in his late teens.

I agree that Meghoma looks a good prospect, but likewise he's not PL material at present, but in time he may be needed, as long term injuries can put any player

out for a season (as Larios knows himself). They don't count in " the 25 squad " if they are under a certain age and we need all the bodies we can get on the books 

to help combat injuries / form loss in the regulars.    For younger players -  chances come when they do - and they can make their name quickly. 

4 hours ago, northam soul said:

You seem to have ruled out Bednarek leaving. If he goes, then we're a CB short if we play 3 and want cover/options. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Been linked for a few weeks now hasn't he?

I think the point being made is that we were linked, but nothings materialised yet. Same could be said for 3-4 other strong rumours at least but nothing happened. My guess is that we’ve got the easy ones over the line and now they’re working on the ones that will take more detailed negotiations. Just hope they don’t leave it too long to identify and capture a high level striker.

10 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think the point being made is that we were linked, but nothings materialised yet. Same could be said for 3-4 other strong rumours at least but nothing happened. My guess is that we’ve got the easy ones over the line and now they’re working on the ones that will take more detailed negotiations. Just hope they don’t leave it too long to identify and capture a high level striker.

Sugawara had quite a few interested clubs too.

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Sugawara had quite a few interested clubs too.

Yeah and I’m skeptical that our interest being much more than a cursory glance - we must be looking at lots of options.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yeah and I’m skeptical that our interest being much more than a cursory glance - we must be looking at lots of options.

He's top of our list with Max Aarons.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Sports mole linking Che to Forest

No the quote was "Adams is a striker who can't see the goal for the trees".  Not the same as a transfer to Nottingham

• Haha 10