Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

He was consistently very suspect at Championship level. This season he’ll be an absolute liability in any games he’s asked to play, he needs to go.

Would be a very positive sign if they do get rid. Shows they can be ruthless. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Manning and Larios off? 

Manning for sure id guess. I'd imagine Larios, although I think Meghoma only has a year in his deal so it could be him going, or perhaps even both of the youngsters 

On 04/07/2024 at 16:10, hypochondriac said:

Source? 

Sorry, busy couple of days.  First hand from players who were also at the club at the time.  Prick around the changing room and training ground.  Brought down a peg or two in front of the squad by a since departed senior forward.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He was consistently very suspect at Championship level. This season he’ll be an absolute liability in any games he’s asked to play, he needs to go.

I never said I wasn’t one of those that would be pleased!

20 minutes ago, egg said:

Manning for sure id guess. I'd imagine Larios, although I think Meghoma only has a year in his deal so it could be him going, or perhaps even both of the youngsters 

Can't see the club giving up on Larios just yet.

37 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

4 year contract apparently agreed

20240705_171001.jpg

Thats a surprise, i think I posted yesterday that I thought Taylor meant our left back business was done. Manning as a back up and Taylor as first choice. I can only conclude that if we sign Wellington we're looking at 3 CBs and wing backs with Taylor as a potential LCB. 

22 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Would suggest Manning would be out? Which will please many.

I know he's defensively flawed but I would have thought as a back up he'd be ok. He must be on his way out unless we really are stocking up on LBs.

21 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, and yep. Probably also suggests that either Meghoma or Larios ain't sticking around either. 

Both need loans. Meghoma to continue his development and Larios for match fitness post injury. But it will take a brave club to take Larios after so long out.

11 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I know he's defensively flawed but I would have thought as a back up he'd be ok. He must be on his way out unless we really are stocking up on LBs.

He was okay as backup when we were chasing promotion, in the PL he will look like a fish up a tree.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's the referenced article: https://ge.globo.com/futebol/times/sao-paulo/noticia/2024/07/05/welington-aceita-proposta-do-southampton-ingleses-tentarao-liberacao-antecipada-do-sao-paulo.ghtml?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=Esporte&utm_campaign=globoesportecom

Left-back Welington, from São Paulo , accepted an offer from Southampton, from England. The player is expected to sign a four-season pre-contract with the Premier League club in the coming days.

With a contract until December, he is free to sign a pre-contract and leave Tricolor free of charge from January. The English club's intention, however, is to try to reach an immediate release with the São Paulo board.

To have the player at the start of the English season, Southampton is willing to give up part of Welington's economic rights, which would open up the possibility for Tricolor to profit from a future sale.

São Paulo was preparing a new offer to convince the athlete to extend the contract. The club, which needs to be notified if the pre-contract is signed, is not opposed to negotiating a release this summer, but will demand compensation relative to the full-back's market value.

The English met this week with Robson Ferreira, the player's agent, and outlined the details of the transfer. If they cannot obtain immediate release, Southampton are willing to wait until January to integrate the athlete into the squad.

The proposal is on the table. What's left to close? Draft contracts are being exchanged. We are adjusting the salary and tax issues, since English taxes are even higher than in Brazil – said the player's agent.

Edited by Disco Stu

Just now, MarkSFC said:

This Wellington LB signing makes me wonder whether Charlie Taylor will be used as a CB primarily?

That was my other thought - left sided CB if we play a 3, or LB in a 4. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Here's the referenced article: https://ge.globo.com/futebol/times/sao-paulo/noticia/2024/07/05/welington-aceita-proposta-do-southampton-ingleses-tentarao-liberacao-antecipada-do-sao-paulo.ghtml?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=Esporte&utm_campaign=globoesportecom

So what deal have we struck with Sao Paulo if we've signed him on a pre-contract? Clearly they're yet to agree to release him from his contract.

There's no suggestion we have a deal with his club. He's accepted our proposal. If he's a free agent in Jan, he's not ours til then, unless we sort something with his club. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder if Larios or Meghoma can play RB? This is what Ralph said when we signed Larios:

"Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhüttl praised Larios for his positional versatility, able to cover either flank, upon his announcement as a Southampton player."

Edited by Dank

17 minutes ago, egg said:

There's no suggestion we have a deal with his club. He's accepted our proposal. If he's a free agent in Jan, he's not ours til then, unless we sort something with his club. 

Ah I read the original quote wrong. Sao Paulo fans seem to want him gone so a deal should be easy to reach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If wood and Edwards were 6 million, we've effectively got them for 2 million with Lyanco's fee. Brilliant business even if they aren't as good as hoped. 

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of the Wood signing but you're essentially getting a youngish back up player for a couple of million. He did struggle last season but was decent under Martin at Swansea so we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Very much the 2024 version of Danny Fox.

An attacking LB who played an important part in our promotion, but whose poor defensive qualities will be ruthlessly exposed in the PL.

Seems a great lad and all that, but there's no way we should be relying on him next season.

Alfie seems to think DCC is heading to Lyon for £5Million.

So that's 12M for Lyanco, DCC and Perraud.

Whilst we've spent £6M for Edwards, Wood, Taylor and Lallana.

Excellent business so far.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of the Wood signing but you're essentially getting a youngish back up player for a couple of million. He did struggle last season but was decent under Martin at Swansea so we'll see. 

I think I read he was injured for some of the season. Maybe not fully fit? 

Just now, SaintsFan86 said:

Blimey that's some negotiation if true. 

9 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

Nope.

It’s not that big a secret and pretty sure it’s been mentioned on here by others in the past so I might as well just say it. Charlie Austin.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

It’s not that big a secret and pretty sure it’s been mentioned on here by others in the past so I might as well just say it. Charlie Austin.

Crikey, imagine getting bought down a peg by one of the biggest bellends in football.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I wanna say Sir Rickie. No one will have his authority.

Maybe Charlie Austin. Never one to refrain from voicing his opinion.

And the saying "it takes one to know one" springs to mind.

Edit: I see Sambosa has already confirmed this.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I wouldn’t say ‘excellent’, the best player out of that lot is a LB who just got relegated with Burnley. Taylor is a sensible free signing and Edwards looks a decent prospect but I can’t say any of them are particularly inspiring.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I wouldn’t say ‘excellent’, the best player out of that lot is a LB who just got relegated with Burnley. Taylor is a sensible free signing and Edwards looks a decent prospect but I can’t say any of them are particularly inspiring.

Taylor getting relegated in a shite Burnley team doesn't reflect badly on him. He's decent. 

Shifting that shite and getting these lads in with a profit is excellent business on any assessment. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I look at it as Perraud failed miserably at this level for a few seasons with us, awful LB. We've now got a proper PL proven left back in the door for £0.

Lyanco and DCC were horrendous for us. Lyanco was just a pointless hot head, could not defend for toffee as he was too wound up 110% of the time. Not a PL player by any stretch. 

DCC's attitude stunk. He could have been decent, lots and lots of experience behind him, but he was another almighty dropped bollock for us.

We're not going to miss any of those 3, we've just sold them all combined for £12m and the replacements leave us £6m net. I cannot argue with that all, the club seem to have their head screwed on this window. I like the fact that we're building a really strong British core.

Just need to make a decent return on Mara and Sulemana, replace those with better and we're laughing.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, egg said:

Taylor getting relegated in a shite Burnley team doesn't reflect badly on him. He's decent. 

Shifting that shite and getting these lads in with a profit is excellent business on any assessment. 

Of course it is. The time to criticise the club for their overall transfer policy is at the conclusion of the window. In isolation these individual purchases and sales is decent business. You can't criticise the club for not getting any big name or ambitious signings in yet when that's clearly their intention. If they fail to get in a good AM striker and winger then I'll speak up and call it underwhelming but not before. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Of course it is. The time to criticise the club for their overall transfer policy is at the conclusion of the window. In isolation these individual purchases and sales is decent business. You can't criticise the club for not getting any big name or ambitious signings in yet when that's clearly their intention. If they fail to get in a good AM striker and winger then I'll speak up and call it underwhelming but not before. 

Also you’d say that you’d expect most of those signed so far to be willing to stay next season should we be relegated.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Also you’d say that you’d expect most of those signed so far to be willing to stay next season should we be relegated.

Pretty much everyone we've signed feels exactly like that: well, if the worst happens we've got some proper Championship quality to get us back up.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Pretty much everyone we've signed feels exactly like that: well, if the worst happens we've got some proper Championship quality to get us back up.

Agreed, probably a sensible strategy to be honest. It’s going to be incredibly tough to stay up.

• Like 1

As alluded to in some of the posts above to me also it almost feels like we're planning for the season after this and relegation. The players we've signed so far seem like they would do a good job for us in the championship but I can't see them setting the Premier League on fire.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

As alluded to in some of the posts above to me also it almost feels like we're planning for the season after this and relegation. The players we've signed so far seem like they would do a good job for us in the championship but I can't see them setting the Premier League on fire.

Nobody needs to set the premier league on fire.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

It may be the case that Lallana doesn't play much so not sure if he counts. The Burnley left back seems more than capable of performing in the prem and Edwards could do as well. THB is good enough for the prem so the only ones with question marks are Woods (who will most likely be a backup) and the resigning of McCarthy which admittedly is pretty crap if he's first choice. 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

if we signed these four lads last summer, I think we'd be wondering if they were good enough to get us promoted. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, and yep. Probably also suggests that either Meghoma or Larios ain't sticking around either. 

Let’s hope it’s Larios and Manning leaving.   Manning because he wouldn’t measure up at the level and Larios because while he may have the ability, how long do you persevere in the hope he delivers?   Can see Meghoma developing rapidly, based on his age and the glimpses he showed last season.  Already has  the pace and athleticism needed while the defensive side of his game can be developed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

This was posted earlier in the thread: https://targetscouting.com/2024/05/01/welington-sao-paulo-scout-report/

It's not that promising.

Not that promising? The author of that article only just stops shy of saying "he's shite, my Nan could do better".

Bit of an odd one this one. I'd rather have left the pathway open to Meghoma being backup

• Like 1