Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Chez said:

47 prem goals in 95 games for Newcastle. Pretty damn good.

He was bought for £20m in 2020. Usually, a big transfer equals sizable wages. He extended his contract having scored 18 Prem goals in 22/23. If he's only on £46k a week, his agent has failed him. 

I’ve seen that figure in a couple of places:

https://www.capology.com/player/callum-wilson-33661/

https://www.footballfancast.com/newcastle-united-player-wages-salaries-ranked/

No idea how reliable they are of course (or maybe they’re pre-extension?) but that does seem to be the figure that’s out there. Agree it seems like suspiciously excellent value in today’s mad market if true. 

Edited by Midfield_General

8 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

What’s happened to the Nathan Wood signing? I thought this one was done and dusted and due to be announced too?

I asked the same question yesterday. Swansea pages were saying it was a done deal and would be announced a couple of days ago. Since then, nothing. 🤷‍♂️

Please tell me that you’re not serious about having Harrison Reed as our defensive midfielder this season instead of Downes.

He maybe neat and tidy but we need a hell of a lot more than that in the middle of the park.

Whilst Downes isn’t a giant he has a bit of presence in there.

If we aren’t signing Downes I hope we have someone else other than him lined up.

In past Premier league seasons we have lacked that strong powerful physicality in the middle of the park which is why we hoped Lemina would solve it.

After that failure we seemed to give up on the idea for some reason.

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

If we’re in the market for a CF I wonder if Callum Wilson is one we’d take a look at.

32, English. 88 goals from 221 PL games. 9 from 20 last season. Had some injuries but nothing that sounds dangerously serious.

£46k per week, valued at £13-£15m as now going into the last year of his contract and Newcastle want rid so they can sign Calvert-Lewin. 

59 minutes ago, Chez said:

47 prem goals in 95 games for Newcastle. Pretty damn good.

He was bought for £20m in 2020. Usually, a big transfer equals sizable wages. He extended his contract having scored 18 Prem goals in 22/23. If he's only on £46k a week, his agent has failed him. 

thus I think you might have meant £146k pw - no way he is on £46k pw (think that was his original contract)

looking around it looks like £110/120k pw

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I’ve seen that figure in a couple of places:

https://www.capology.com/player/callum-wilson-33661/

https://www.footballfancast.com/newcastle-united-player-wages-salaries-ranked/

No idea how reliable they are of course (or maybe they’re pre-extension?) but that does seem to be the figure that’s out there. Agree it seems like suspiciously excellent value in today’s mad market if true. 

There's no way they're right.  The Athletic stated his latest contract is in line with the clubs highest earners.  And tbh that's the only reason Newcastle would be interested in selling him.  If he was on 42k per week it'd hardly help their FFP difficulties 

https://www.themag.co.uk/2022/10/callum-wilson-contribution-recognised-club-match-highest-earners-with-new-enhanced-deal-report-newcastle-united/

10 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Please tell me that you’re not serious about having Harrison Reed as our defensive midfielder this season instead of Downes.

He maybe neat and tidy but we need a hell of a lot more than that in the middle of the park.

If we aren’t signing Downes I hope we have someone else other than him lined up.

In past Premier league seasons we have lacked that strong powerful physicality in the middle of the park which is why we hoped Lemina would solve it.

Nostalgia bias

Reed was below average for us as a kid (apart from that one good game against Everton that one time) and he's gone on to be a slightly better but ultimately still average player.

If he didn't have a prior connection with the club there's no way he'd even be being mentioned.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Did we? Lavia was one of the best signings we have made in recent years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

While slightly different players, I can imagine Reed as a replacement for Downes given he now seems to be settled back at WH.

Settled back at West Ham? It’s the start of July FFS.

Will you be applying the same logic to KWP staying, on the basis he came in for training this week?

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Settled back at West Ham? It’s the start of July FFS.

Will you be applying the same logic to KWP staying, on the basis he came in for training this week?

Why would I do that? Completely different propositions…anyone with an ounce of sense would know that.

• Confused 6

4 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Bobby De Cordova-Reid has decided to sign for Leicester 

Championship footy clearly high on his list. That or they're paying him a fair whack.

18 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Why would I do that? Completely different propositions…anyone with an ounce of sense would know that.

What's the difference between Downes only just returning to training and KWP? Sure their circumstances are different but neither of them are more settled in after a couple of days than the other one. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

haters hate upwards turkish

Exactly. Never take criticism off someone who can’t do what you can. Maybe I’ll listen when they’ve got 30 laughing reactions on a single post 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly. Never take criticism off someone who can’t do what you can. Maybe I’ll listen when they’ve got 30 laughing reactions on a single post 

Soggy has that, I think. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What's the difference between Downes only just returning to training and KWP? Sure their circumstances are different but neither of them are more settled in after a couple of days than the other one. 

Well one player only has 1 year left on their deal, sadly.

That being said, If West Ham aren't prepared to sale Downes, I'd add a additional £5Million to Kyle's price tag. I'm sure the club will have interest elsewhere.

Edited by SaintsFan86

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well one player only has 1 year left on their deal, sadly.

That being said, If West Ham aren't prepared to sale Downes, I'd add a additional £5Million to Kyle's price tag. I'm sure the club will have interest elsewhere.

I wouldn't be selling to West Ham if Downes isn't coming. He can go to Spurs instead.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The discussion was around Downes versus Reed - not KWP. 🙄

41 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The discussion was around Downes versus Reed - not KWP. 🙄

No your response was from someone who asked if you would be applying the same "settled" logic to KWP who has also just returned to preseason training in the same manner as Downes. Keep up. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Huh? 

You've seemingly looked at that pic with Downes, JWP and Ings in the same picture (day 1 of pre-season training) and have come to the conclusion that it means he's settled there.

Whereas the pictures of KWP back in training, day 1, is a totally different situation. Ok then.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd have been very happy with him. Smart acquisition on a free.

Meh. I’ve not seen much of him but I went up to craven cottage last season for a game, the Fulham lot around me weren’t very happy with him. He got hooked in the second half after doing not very much.

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Huh? 

You've seemingly looked at that pic with Downes, JWP and Ings in the same picture (day 1 of pre-season training) and have come to the conclusion that it means he's settled there.

Whereas the pictures of KWP back in training, day 1, is a totally different situation. Ok then.

He'd have been satisfied if Downes had been on the Hanmer's changing room looking miserable with red and white face paint. Anything else and he's made his mind up and staying at West Ham. Clown World. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Really? His scoring record is crap. 

4-6 goals a season for a wide attacking midfielder is our level in the Premier League. That's generally what Tadic got for us, S.Armstrong got for us, Ramirez, Redmond...ect

I'm not suggesting I'm gutted to have missed out on him or anything like that but he was a realistic target on a free that C(have)DAJFU. His numbers are about the same as a peak Redmond which is probably the best we could realistically get on our budget. On a free, it seems a very sensible move on Leicester's part.

I'm happy for us to aim higher but I doubt we will.

58 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Huh? 

As is usual you’ve managed to transplant your weird perspective onto someone else’s post. Well done.

3 hours ago, northam soul said:

No idea where you get the idea that anyone is suggesting Reed instead of Downes, perhaps BangkokSaint may have hinted at it. The reason Reed is being mentioned is because LeG hinted that Lallana might not be the only returning Saints midfielder, and then hinted that Reed was the answer. Don't think there was ever a suggestion that Reed = Downes. I still think Downes will eventually show up, West Ham seem quite enthusiastic about his departure, just the fee that needs to be negotiated. Neither Charles nor Reed could fulfil Downes' role, though both may go someway as being a cover option in the event of Downes being unavailable for the odd game. Downes brings a hell of a lot more to the table than either of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

No your response was from someone who asked if you would be applying the same "settled" logic to KWP who has also just returned to preseason training in the same manner as Downes. Keep up. 

No, my original post was from before that and anyway didn’t suppose anything about KWP. Keep up yourself.

• Confused 1

I doubt it’ll be Hojbjerg coming back. His agent has pretty much said he’s outgrown Spurs and should be at a club that is competitive in winning trophies.

Based on his performances, I’d say he’s lucky to be at the level he is. 😂

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I doubt it’ll be Hojbjerg coming back. His agent has pretty much said he’s outgrown Spurs and should be at a club that is competitive in winning trophies.

if that's the case, he must have learned how to pass to teammates while at Spurs 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m guessing Che Adams has left and got that move he so craved? 😂

is the three-way love triangle (Che Adams-Dominic Calvert-Lewin-Callum Wilson) back on?

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

Would suggest Manning would be out? Which will please many.

Yep, and yep. Probably also suggests that either Meghoma or Larios ain't sticking around either. 

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Would suggest Manning would be out? Which will please many.

He was consistently very suspect at Championship level. This season he’ll be an absolute liability in any games he’s asked to play, he needs to go.

• Like 4